HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 39 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 38 39
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #91826
09/12/07 01:43 PM
09/12/07 01:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tall:Could you explain that a bit further?

Tom:Here's a famous vision from Early Writings:

Quote:
I saw the Father rise from the throne, and in a flaming chariot go into the holy of holies within the veil, and sit down. Then Jesus rose up from the throne, and the most of those who were bowed down arose with Him. I did not see one ray of light pass from Jesus to the careless multitude after He arose, and they were left in perfect darkness. Those who arose when Jesus did, kept their eyes fixed on Him as He left the throne and led them out a little way. Then He raised His right arm, and we heard His lovely voice saying, "Wait here; I am going to My Father to receive the kingdom; keep your garments spotless, and in a little while I will return from the wedding and receive you to Myself." Then a cloudy chariot, with wheels like flaming fire, surrounded by angels, came to where Jesus was. He stepped into the chariot and was borne to the holiest, where the Father sat. There I beheld Jesus, a great High Priest, standing before the Father. On the hem of His garment was a bell and a pomegranate, a bell and a pomegranate. Those who rose up with Jesus would send up their faith to Him in the holiest, and pray, "My Father, give us Thy Spirit." Then Jesus would breathe upon them the Holy Ghost. In that breath was light, power, and much love, joy, and peace. (EW 55)

At the very end here, it speaks of an outpouring of the Holy Spirit, which was to bring light. This light is for the purpose of preparing a people for the coming of Christ, and is often alluded to by EGW in reference to Rev. 18:1 (the other angel who lightened the earth with glory). The cleansing of the sanctuary is tied into a special preparation of God's people, by way of the latter rain, which is increased light.

Here's a statement from an SDA pioneer commenting on this theme:

Quote:
"We have not time or space here to enter into details, but it must suffice to say that a comparison of Daniel 9:24-26 with Ezra 7 shows that the days mentioned in the prophecy began 457 B. C., and so reach to 1844 A. D. . . . But some one will ask: What connection has 1844 with the blood of Christ, and that blood is no more efficient at one time than another, how can it be said that at a certain time the sanctuary shall be cleansed? Has not the blood of Christ continually been cleansing the living sanctuary, the church? The reply is, that there is such a thing as 'the time of the end.' Sin must have an end, and work of cleansing will one day be complete. . . . Now it is a fact that since the middle of the last century new light has shone forth, and truth of the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus is revealed as never before, and the loud cry of the message, 'Behold your God!' is being proclaimed" (E.G. Waggoner, British Present Truth, May 23, 1901).

Note the point, "there is such a thing as 'the time of the end." and "Sin must have an end, and work of cleansing will one day be complete. How is the cleansing completed? From the same author:

Quote:
Though all the record of all our sin, even though written with the finger of God, were erased, the sin would remain, because the sin is in us. Though the record of our sin were graven in the rock, and the rock should be ground to powder even this would not blot out our sin.

The cleansing of the sanctuary is referencing a cleansing of God's people on earth. The books of heaven reflect the reality of the work taking place below. The cleansing of the sanctuary teaches us lessons regarding this important work. I see this as its purpose.

Tom(previous post):Where contradictions come in, IMO, is when one looks at things literally, as having to do with physical locations and physical tasks.

Tall:The problem is it is not just a location issue but a timing issue. If Jesus presented the one sacrifice before God an then sat down, why would we expect a later ministry in 1844?

Tom:Because the first ministry does not prepare a people for the coming of Christ. This question was addressed by Waggoner in the first quote above.

I'll continue addressing your other points in another post.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #91827
09/12/07 02:01 PM
09/12/07 02:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tall:I am saying that the text says that the sanctuary is heaven itself.

Tom:Ok, but that still leaves the question why there are two compartments.

Tall:There were several points where the fulfllment went far beyond the type.

The two apartments emphasized the separation from God because the high priest alone, once per year, could go directly into God's presence. God met with the people through the sanctuary (let them build Me a sanctuary that I may dwell amont them). But it was a limited access.

In contrast Jesus went directly into heaven, in God's presence, and fulfilled the ministry one time--not like that of the Priests. In fact, Hebrews makes a big point of the fact that the earthly priest had to continually, year after year, offer the same sacrifices, which could never take away sin.

Was that the same in the fulfillment? No. It is a beautiful contrast where the type is overshadowed by the true.

Remember, the fulfillment is the true, not the type.

Jesus had FULL access, ever since ascension.

Tom:I suppose this is a possible way of looking at things, but I think it makes more sense to view the two compartments as corresponding to different ministries. This has been a very common interpretation among SDA's for a long time. In particular, Jones and Waggoner preached on this theme during the 1888 era in great detail.

During the typical Day of Atonement, there was a special work among the people to put away sin. I believe this special work corresponds to the work God's people are to do now. For example, during the daily ministration, the people could wear jewelry, they could drink. On the Day of Atonement, these things were put away. This was so the mind could be clear to follow what the High Priest was doing. Now we are to follow what the antitypical High Priest is doing, which is a special work of cleansing, not of a building, but of a people.

Tom (previous):To me it makes sense to think of things in terms of phases of ministry, as opposed to physical locations.

Tall:If there is no transfer of sin there is no phase of ministry.

Tom:I'm not seeing this. It would depend on what the phases of ministry are supposed to accomplish. I believe the first phase (which is still continuing, the daily) represents the work of Christ in regards to our having a saving relationship with Him, a preparation for death. The second represents a special end time work which is necessary in order for us to be ready for His Coming. The sin that is "transferred" is in us. The blotting out of sin represents the blotting out of sin from our character.

Quote:
The blotting out of sin is the erasing of it from nature, the being of man [from other statements made in 1901 it is plain he does not mean the eradication of the sinful nature]. The erasing of sin is the blotting of it from our natures, so that we shall know it no more. 'The worshippers once purged' [Hebrews 10:2, 3]actually purged by the blood of Christ have 'no more conscience of sins,' because the way of sin is gone from them. Their iniquity may be sought for, but it will not be found. It is forever gone from them it is foreign to their new natures, and even though they may be able to recall the fact that they have committed certain sins, they have forgotten the sin itself they do not think of doing it any more. This is the work of Christ in the true sanctuary" (The Review and Herald, September 30, 1902; editorial comment added).

This is again from Waggoner.

Tall:The many earthly sacrifices were just constant reminders of the ONE Sacrifice of Christ. The blood did not first transfer then cleanse. If the animal represented Christ how could it transfer? Did Jesus' Sacrifice ever pollute? It always cleansed. The animal DIED for the sins of the offerer. If it died, why would the sin merely be transferred?

The text itself in Lev. says it atoned.

Tom:You would agree that the sacrificial service is a metaphor, I take it, from reading your comments. The question is, what is it meant to teach us? I think the questions you are asking are problems if one tries to take things literally, but not if one looks at the bigger question as to what the metaphor is meant to teach. I believe the transfer of sin represents the removal of sin from us. The blood cleanses us from sin as we appreciate the truths that blood represents.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #91828
09/12/07 02:14 PM
09/12/07 02:14 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tall73,

Your posts are very long, so I still wasn't able to read and answer everything you wrote. However, I've tried to answer to the main points of your first post.

As you noticed in the bible texts you posted, intentional, deliberate sin, from which there is no repentance, also defiles the sanctuary; and this kind of sin makes the sinner to be cut off from his people.

Quote:
Clearly it is not the sacrifice that defiles.

I agree, and this is precisely what I said. This is how I see it: what defiles is sin, not the blood of the sin offering. However, the blood provided the means through which sin was taken away from the sinner. In the day of judgment, when the sanctuary was cleansed, the sinner did not have to die, for the sacrifice had died in his place – the blood in the sanctuary attested this. In the case of the unrepentant sinner, however, there was no blood in the sanctuary, which meant that the sin was still upon the sinner; therefore, in the day of judgment the unrepentant sinner was cut off from his people.

Leviticus 23:29 For whoever is not afflicted on this same day shall be cut off from his people.

Quote:
This [Num 18:1] is speaking of Aaron’s responsibility as high priest, to keep defilement from the sanctuary.

I disagree. In every sacrifice there was the clear idea of transference of guilt and substitution; the victim took the place of the human sinner. The blood of the sin offering was then applied in one of two ways: a. If it was taken into the holy place, it was sprinkled before the inner veil and placed on the horns of the altar of incense (Lev. 4:6,7,17,18). b. If it was not taken into the sanctuary, it was placed on the horns of the altar of burnt offering in the court (Lev. 4:25,30). In that case the priest ate part of the flesh of the sacrifice (Lev. 6:25,26,30). In either case, the participants understood that their sins and accountability were transferred to the sanctuary and its priesthood. In the same way, Christ assumes the sinner’s sins and accountability. Christ is the believer’s Surety as well as his Substitute. I don’t believe Christ was my Substitute only on the cross. I believe He is still my Substitute today. And this is what the transference of sin symbolized.

Quote:
We have emphasized a “two-phase” ministry. But there is no two-phase ministry.

I disagree. The daily ministry had to do only with mediation. The ceremony of the day of atonement, however, had to do with judgment - the Bible shows this, and the Jewish people has consistently believed in this throughout their history.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #91832
09/12/07 05:50 PM
09/12/07 05:50 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
Tall:I am saying that the text says that the sanctuary is heaven itself.

Tom:Ok, but that still leaves the question why there are two compartments.

Tall:There were several points where the fulfllment went far beyond the type.

The two apartments emphasized the separation from God because the high priest alone, once per year, could go directly into God's presence. God met with the people through the sanctuary (let them build Me a sanctuary that I may dwell amont them). But it was a limited access.

In contrast Jesus went directly into heaven, in God's presence, and fulfilled the ministry one time--not like that of the Priests. In fact, Hebrews makes a big point of the fact that the earthly priest had to continually, year after year, offer the same sacrifices, which could never take away sin.

Was that the same in the fulfillment? No. It is a beautiful contrast where the type is overshadowed by the true.

Remember, the fulfillment is the true, not the type.

Jesus had FULL access, ever since ascension.

Tom:I suppose this is a possible way of looking at things, but I think it makes more sense to view the two compartments as corresponding to different ministries. This has been a very common interpretation among SDA's for a long time. In particular, Jones and Waggoner preached on this theme during the 1888 era in great detail.

During the typical Day of Atonement, there was a special work among the people to put away sin. I believe this special work corresponds to the work God's people are to do now. For example, during the daily ministration, the people could wear jewelry, they could drink. On the Day of Atonement, these things were put away. This was so the mind could be clear to follow what the High Priest was doing. Now we are to follow what the antitypical High Priest is doing, which is a special work of cleansing, not of a building, but of a people.

Tom (previous):To me it makes sense to think of things in terms of phases of ministry, as opposed to physical locations.

Tall:If there is no transfer of sin there is no phase of ministry.

Tom:I'm not seeing this. It would depend on what the phases of ministry are supposed to accomplish. I believe the first phase (which is still continuing, the daily) represents the work of Christ in regards to our having a saving relationship with Him, a preparation for death. The second represents a special end time work which is necessary in order for us to be ready for His Coming. The sin that is "transferred" is in us. The blotting out of sin represents the blotting out of sin from our character.

Quote:
The blotting out of sin is the erasing of it from nature, the being of man [from other statements made in 1901 it is plain he does not mean the eradication of the sinful nature]. The erasing of sin is the blotting of it from our natures, so that we shall know it no more. 'The worshippers once purged' [Hebrews 10:2, 3]actually purged by the blood of Christ have 'no more conscience of sins,' because the way of sin is gone from them. Their iniquity may be sought for, but it will not be found. It is forever gone from them it is foreign to their new natures, and even though they may be able to recall the fact that they have committed certain sins, they have forgotten the sin itself they do not think of doing it any more. This is the work of Christ in the true sanctuary" (The Review and Herald, September 30, 1902; editorial comment added).

This is again from Waggoner.

Tall:The many earthly sacrifices were just constant reminders of the ONE Sacrifice of Christ. The blood did not first transfer then cleanse. If the animal represented Christ how could it transfer? Did Jesus' Sacrifice ever pollute? It always cleansed. The animal DIED for the sins of the offerer. If it died, why would the sin merely be transferred?

The text itself in Lev. says it atoned.

Tom:You would agree that the sacrificial service is a metaphor, I take it, from reading your comments. The question is, what is it meant to teach us? I think the questions you are asking are problems if one tries to take things literally, but not if one looks at the bigger question as to what the metaphor is meant to teach. I believe the transfer of sin represents the removal of sin from us. The blood cleanses us from sin as we appreciate the truths that blood represents.

Thank you for your reply. I hope to answer at length, but a little more info would help first.

A. Do you believe, due to EGW's endorsement, that Waggoner was speaking under inspiration?

B. How can the sin that is transferred be in us?

C. Do you believe the last day work involves perfecting the character, and that without that there is no salvation?

Thanks

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #91833
09/12/07 06:02 PM
09/12/07 06:02 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Tall73,

Your posts are very long, so I still wasn't able to read and answer everything you wrote. However, I've tried to answer to the main points of your first post.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Quote:

As you noticed in the bible texts you posted, intentional, deliberate sin, from which there is no repentance, also defiles the sanctuary; and this kind of sin makes the sinner to be cut off from his people.

Quote:
Clearly it is not the sacrifice that defiles.

I agree, and this is precisely what I said. This is how I see it: what defiles is sin, not the blood of the sin offering. However, the blood provided the means through which sin was taken away from the sinner. In the day of judgment, when the sanctuary was cleansed, the sinner did not have to die, for the sacrifice had died in his place – the blood in the sanctuary attested this. In the case of the unrepentant sinner, however, there was no blood in the sanctuary, which meant that the sin was still upon the sinner; therefore, in the day of judgment the unrepentant sinner was cut off from his people.

If the sins were defiling the temple with no sacrifice, then why do you feel the blood is necessary to transmit? It seems it was already transmitted, though I probably don't see it quite the same way you do. The wickdness of the people cut them off from God causing His sanctuary to be pointless and His dwelling among them futile. Therefore we see Him withdrawing his presence in the book of Ezekiel from those who had rejected Him.

B. If the animal died in his place, representing Christ, then why do you feel this was not sufficient to forgive?

You are looking at the earthly type but in the heavenly there was only One Sacrifice, not many, not once per year--only One.

Quote:

Quote:
This [Num 18:1] is speaking of Aaron’s responsibility as high priest, to keep defilement from the sanctuary.

I disagree. In every sacrifice there was the clear idea of transference of guilt and substitution; the victim took the place of the human sinner.

I have no problem with the transfer TO the animal, which represents the transfer to Christ who became sin for us, according to Paul.

But the sacrifice in the daily DIED. It atoned by its death. It substituted for the sinner. How would that TRANSFER sin?

Quote:

The blood of the sin offering was then applied in one of two ways: a. If it was taken into the holy place, it was sprinkled before the inner veil and placed on the horns of the altar of incense (Lev. 4:6,7,17,18). b. If it was not taken into the sanctuary, it was placed on the horns of the altar of burnt offering in the court (Lev. 4:25,30). In that case the priest ate part of the flesh of the sacrifice (Lev. 6:25,26,30).

No problem so far.

That is in the Bible.

Quote:

In either case, the participants understood that their sins and accountability were transferred to the sanctuary and its priesthood.

Sorry, it doesn't say that. Can you show that is what they understood--Transfer to the priests and the sanctuary?

If anything it was already there by their wickedness, and the sacrifice atoned.

It says it ATONED for the sinner. They saw it transferred to the animal and the animal died for their sin.

Quote:

In the same way, Christ assumes the sinner’s sins and accountability. Christ is the believer’s Surety as well as his Substitute.

I don’t believe Christ was my Substitute only on the cross. I believe He is still my Substitute today. And this is what the transference of sin symbolized.

The problem you have is that again you are reading the earthly type into the reality. In the earthly type you claim their was storing. Then after MANY sacrifices there was ANOTHER sacrifice that cleansed.

Did Jesus offer many Sacrifices and then another?

Then the earthly type is not sufficient, is it?

Quote:

Quote:
We have emphasized a “two-phase” ministry. But there is no two-phase ministry.

I disagree. The daily ministry had to do only with mediation. The ceremony of the day of atonement, however, had to do with judgment - the Bible shows this, and the Jewish people has consistently believed in this throughout their history.

Actually, in the sense of judgment I have no issue with that. But it was not a phase to the Jews but a DAY of judgment, the day of the Lord. Each of the feasts represented events, but not phases of long drawn out activity.

The day of atonement represents the final putting away of sin. But the SACRIFICE of the day of atonement is the same as that of all the others in the true.

Therefore the meaning cannot be one thing for the sacrifice--transfer--and something else--cancelling--if both are the same in the Sacrifice in the true.

Last edited by tall73; 09/12/07 06:13 PM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #91834
09/12/07 06:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thank you for your reply. I hope to answer at length, but a little more info would help first.

A. Do you believe, due to EGW's endorsement, that Waggoner was speaking under inspiration?

It would depend on how you defined "inspiration," but, unless one used a very loose definition, the answer would be "no." However, I think what he wrote was accurate.

It is transferred from in us to out of us, in the sense that Waggoner explained (that is, rooted out from our character). It's not physically transferred, because sin isn't a physical thing. It is transferred out of our minds as our minds are cleansed.

C. Do you believe the last day work involves perfecting the character, and that without that there is no salvation?

I think the following describes the last day work well:

Quote:
It is the darkness of misapprehension of God that is enshrouding the world. Men are losing their knowledge of His character. It has been misunderstood and misinterpreted. At this time a message from God is to be proclaimed, a message illuminating in its influence and saving in its power. His character is to be made known. Into the darkness of the world is to be shed the light of His glory, the light of His goodness, mercy, and truth. {COL 415.3}

This is the work outlined by the prophet Isaiah in the words, "O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God! Behold, the Lord God will come with strong hand, and His arm shall rule for Him; behold, His reward is with Him, and His work before Him." Isa. 40:9,10. {COL 415.4}

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love. The children of God are to manifest His glory. In their own life and character they are to reveal what the grace of God has done for them. {COL 415.5}

The last day work is, I believe, primarily one of proclaiming God's character, not one of perfecting ours. However, by beholding we become changed, so even though the primary focus is on God's character, that does not preclude the other from taking place (and is the only way it can happen). The way Ty Gibson puts it is something like our understanding of God's character and our likeness to it dovetail into one process. Something like that.

Regarding salvation, I think the world will be split into to camps, similar to in Acts, where people either loved the message proclaimed by the early Christians and joined their midst, or they hated it and persecuted them. The last message to be given to the world is a revelation of God's character of love. This message will be accepted or rejected, resulting in salvation or not.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #91835
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Quote:

Quote:

I disagree.

Returning to this exchange...You said you disagree that the text in Numbers was speaking of Aaron's responsibility. But you did not in any way address the context I posted. You simply spoke of what it says of what happened to the blood in other passages, as a separate concept. And even then you stated what the people understood--but this text is one of two which you base that on.

If you wish to show that this text is addressing what you say then you must address it in context to show that is what it is speaking of, not simply address other texts.

Note what the text itself says the blood did:

Lev 6:30 But no sin offering shall be eaten from which any [b] blood is brought into the tent of meeting to make atonement in the Holy Place; it shall be burned up with fire.

Atonement was made by the blood--not transfer. The animal died, and if it did not die for their sins, what did it die for? Just to transfer?

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #91836
09/12/07 06:23 PM
09/12/07 06:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't want to meddle too much in your conversation with Rosangela, but I do have a question and a comment.

Quote:
I have no problem with the transfer TO the animal, which represents the transfer to Christ who became sin for us, according to Paul.

What do you think this means? (that Christ became sin for us).

Quote:
They saw it transferred to the animal and the animal died for their sin.

I don't think this is accurate. I don't want to me to adamant here, as I'm going by memory, and I don't have the sources I'm mentioning in front of me.

As a source for my assertion here, I have in mind "In Search of Paul" by Crossen, who discusses towards the end of the book the meaning of sacrifice in the time of Paul. We (i.e. Post-Reformation Christianity), after the fact, have given a meaning to the sacrifice which did not exist for those who were giving it, I believe.

Another work which discusses this is "Christus Victor."

You're asking good questions and having us discuss important things.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #91837
09/12/07 06:26 PM
09/12/07 06:26 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall

It is transferred from in us to out of us, in the sense that Waggoner explained (that is, rooted out from our character). It's not physically transferred, because sin isn't a physical thing. It is transferred out of our minds as our minds are cleansed.

Alright, I think i am getting a little better picture of your view.

So, in this scheme you would not see transfer of sin in the daily but in the day of atonement itself?

In other words, EGW saw sin transferred from us to the sanctuary in the daily. You seem to present it as still there, in sinful character, and removed through the day of atonement in the refining of character, to display the character of God to the world?

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #91838
09/12/07 06:36 PM
09/12/07 06:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Atonement was made by the blood--not transfer. The animal died, and if it did not die for their sins, what did it die for? Just to transfer?

Sorry to meddle again, but here's my take on this. To "atone" is to make at one. The purpose of the blood was to make man right with God. As Peter says:

Quote:
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God. (1 Pet. 3:18)

Quoting from EGW:

Quote:
(M)an was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. {DA 761.5}

The sacrifice of Christ brings us to God by revealing God's love and character, thus effecting an atonement.

Quote:
The whole world needs to be instructed in the oracles of God, to understand the object of the atonement, the at-one-ment, with God. {ST, March 20, 1901 par. 5}

This last quote is just to show how "atonement" is used to mean our being brought to God (i.e., being made "at one" with Him).

A word on the quotations I'm using, as to my intent. I am not presenting the quotations so much on the basis of authority but to clarify meaning. That is, what we're really trying to do is understand (as I see it, this is the issue) what certain things mean. I'm sharing certain quotes, whether by EGW, or Scripture, or Waggoner, or whomever, not so much because I believe what was written is authoritative, but because it is accurate and clear, and makes some point or expresses some idea better than I could.

Page 8 of 39 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!