HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 39 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 38 39
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #91839
09/12/07 06:48 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
Hm, so am I safe in saying you take the moral influence view of the atonement over the penal substitution view?

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #91840
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Alright, I think i am getting a little better picture of your view.

So, in this scheme you would not see transfer of sin in the daily but in the day of atonement itself?

I would say moreso in the day of atonement.

In other words, EGW saw sin transferred from us to the sanctuary in the daily. You seem to present it as still there, in sinful character, and removed through the day of atonement in the refining of character, to display the character of God to the world?

I wouldn't word it that way, but I think you've captured the general idea. However, the emphasis is not on the refining of character, but on the proclamation of God's character. The refining of character is a result. The goal is to understand and share the truth about God.

Quote:
In heaven itself this law was broken. Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels....{DA 21.3}

The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. {DA 22.1}

One of my favoriate quotes. I think it fits in well here.

Satan led the world (ours and his) into sin by way of deception. He deceived men and angels in regards to God's character. What is God's true character? That's the core issue. Misunderstanding God's character plunged the world into sin. Only a right understanding of His character can bring a recovery of that ruin which Satan's deception has brought.

The last message of mercy is this message: "Behold your God." It is the same message which Jesus proclaimed, which was, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father." As John puts it, "No one has seen God at any time. His only Son, who knew Him best, has shown us what God is really like." (John 1:18. personal translation, by cobbling some others together).

I see that the Great Controversy is about this question: "What is God really like?" God has been terribly misrepresented, and God has raised up a people for the purpose of proclaiming the truth about Him. Every doctrine exists for this purpose, that in it we may see the truth about God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #91843
09/13/07 08:00 PM
09/13/07 08:00 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
If the sins were defiling the temple with no sacrifice, then why do you feel the blood is necessary to transmit?

As I said, I think the blood shows that those sins are forgiven sins, that is, sins which had been atoned for.

Quote:
If the animal died in his place, representing Christ, then why do you feel this was not sufficient to forgive?

Yes, why? Have you thought about that? Why not just an altar? Wouldn’t it be enough for the victim to be sacrificed and offered up on the altar? Why also a building - a two-apartment building?

Quote:
Sorry, it doesn't say that. Can you show that is what they understood--Transfer to the priests and the sanctuary?

Continuing with the questions, Why was the blood taken inside the building? Why were the priests instructed to eat the meat of the sin offerings? In your opinion, what did all this symbolize ?

Quote:
Did Jesus offer many Sacrifices and then another?

Christ’s sacrifice was made once and for all. But did it serve just one purpose? When you are forgiven every day, isn’t it on the basis of this sacrifice? And if you are acquitted in the future judgment, won’t it be on the basis of this same sacrifice? This is what both services were meant to teach.

Quote:
But it was not a phase to the Jews but a DAY of judgment, the day of the Lord. Each of the feasts represented events, but not phases of long drawn out activity.

The Day of the Lord is not a 24-hour day. Will Christ’s coming occur as part of the Day of the Lord? What about the judgment and the destruction of the wicked and of the earth? But aren’t these two events separated by a thousand years?

Quote:
Atonement was made by the blood--not transfer. The animal died, and if it did not die for their sins, what did it die for? Just to transfer?

Atonement has to do with forgiveness of sin. Christ died for many reasons but, in this context, for two:
1) to grant us a probationary time during which the judgment is postponed. If man had been judged just after his sin, there would be no hope for the human race. Christ proposed to assume Adam’s place and die for his sin, and thus he was granted a second trial, during which he could accept salvation, and all his posterity was embraced in this plan. Forgiveness during probationary time is provisional, because man is free to reject the salvation he once accepted (see Matt. 19:23-35).

2) to finally grant eternal life to those who are justified in the judgment (Rom. 2:2-16).

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #91858
09/14/07 04:39 PM
09/14/07 04:39 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
Thank you for your response. This is more what I was hoping to get into, a discussion of the details that makes me examine my view more thoroughly.

Just so you know my situation, and why I am even asking all this, for about a year I have been studying the IJ doctrine, trying to reconcile it with Scripture. It started out just a few questions, but grew to a long study.

I was pastoring three churches, and just recently turned in my resignation. My conference asked that I try to meet with some scholars on the subject before resigning, with the hope that I could be reconciled with the church's viewpoint. In order to do that I need to still be able to agree to both the sanctuary fundamental belief and the Ellen White one. At this time I cannot because of my conclusions on the IJ.

In any case I am going to meet with the scholars soon.

Since Daryl was familiar with my situation he started this thread in the hopes of getting some answers, though I was unaware of it at the time.

So in any case, if I sound like I am arguing the point too far, please understand that I simply must answer these questions if I am to be able to continue in ministry. I don't want to be preaching with lingering doubts.

I do appreciate you all taking the time to address these issues.

Last edited by tall73; 09/14/07 05:11 PM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #91859
09/14/07 05:04 PM
09/14/07 05:04 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:
If the sins were defiling the temple with no sacrifice, then why do you feel the blood is necessary to transmit?

As I said, I think the blood shows that those sins are forgiven sins, that is, sins which had been atoned for.

This is what I am still not understanding though--do you acknowledge that the sins of the unbelieving idolator for instance defiled the temple without sacrifice ever being made?

Yes, I agree that blood is what atones--either that of the animal, representing Christ, or the person themselves, if they spurn grace.

Quote:

Quote:
If the animal died in his place, representing Christ, then why do you feel this was not sufficient to forgive?

Yes, why? Have you thought about that? Why not just an altar? Wouldn’t it be enough for the victim to be sacrificed and offered up on the altar? Why also a building - a two-apartment building?

The building, as I mentioned above, was meant to emphasize the people's, and indeed even the high priest's separation from God on a daily basis, so that only through indirect mediation could they be reconciled to him. The sacrifice was important, but so was the presenting of it before God.

But keep in mind that from Adam through Abraham's time, and up until the law was given in stone the sacrifice WAS enough, and there was no mention of a two-apartment building. The sacrificial service at its simplest still conveyed the essential message.

Quote:

Quote:
Sorry, it doesn't say that. Can you show that is what they understood--Transfer to the priests and the sanctuary?

Continuing with the questions, Why was the blood taken inside the building? Why were the priests instructed to eat the meat of the sin offerings? In your opinion, what did all this symbolize ?

The text says to make atonement

From that I imagine it was to be presented before God. The sacrifice was accepted by God to atone for the broken law (now I imagine our brother Ewall may have a different view on this part).

Hebrews too emphasized not only the sacrifice but the offering before God of that sacrifice and the resulting direct access to God where Christ went in to dwell.

The type must always be understood in light of the fulfillment. A

But if the text does not say transfer, and if the sins defiled at commission, I see no reason to imagine a transfer.

Nor have you yet addressed the context of the passage in Numbers.

Quote:

Quote:
Did Jesus offer many Sacrifices and then another?

Christ’s sacrifice was made once and for all. But did it serve just one purpose? When you are forgiven every day, isn’t it on the basis of this sacrifice? And if you are acquitted in the future judgment, won’t it be on the basis of this same sacrifice? This is what both services were meant to teach.

It will be on the basis of that Sacrifice--and its one ministration before He sat down, which is my issue.

Nor does the fact that one also has reference to a last day judgment show transfer in any way.

Quote:

Quote:
But it was not a phase to the Jews but a DAY of judgment, the day of the Lord. Each of the feasts represented events, but not phases of long drawn out activity.

The Day of the Lord is not a 24-hour day. Will Christ’s coming occur as part of the Day of the Lord? What about the judgment and the destruction of the wicked and of the earth? But aren’t these two events separated by a thousand years?

An interesting question. I will think on that one. But it may veer off into other topics that for now would be a side-track.

But on a related note that is not a sidetrack, is it your view then that the day of atonement has reference to the 1,000 years and to the final judgment as well?

Quote:

Quote:
Atonement was made by the blood--not transfer. The animal died, and if it did not die for their sins, what did it die for? Just to transfer?

Atonement has to do with forgiveness of sin. Christ died for many reasons but, in this context, for two:
1) to grant us a probationary time during which the judgment is postponed. If man had been judged just after his sin, there would be no hope for the human race. Christ proposed to assume Adam’s place and die for his sin, and thus he was granted a second trial, during which he could accept salvation, and all his posterity was embraced in this plan. Forgiveness during probationary time is provisional, because man is free to reject the salvation he once accepted (see Matt. 19:23-35).

I see no issue with provisional salvation in the sense that there is a final judgment.

But the record spoken of in the final judgment is not the same as actual transfer of sin. It is a record. There is no indication that Jesus is now bearing our sin. He did that and paid for it already.

And if Christ can wait four thousand years to die for those sins what is a couple thousand after?

Quote:

2) to finally grant eternal life to those who are justified in the judgment (Rom. 2:2-16).

No problem there.

But note these words:

Heb 9:25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
Heb 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Heb 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Heb 10:11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
Heb 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
Heb 10:13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
Heb 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Jesus is done with His sin bearing work. The offering was made, which Hebrews makes clear took in the daily, the yearly, all of the sacrifices. Now the next thing is for the High Priest to leave the temple, and make His enemies His footstool.

He sat down, something the earthly priest never did, because there was never an end to their continuing work.

Last edited by tall73; 09/14/07 05:09 PM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #91863
09/15/07 02:15 AM
09/15/07 02:15 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tall,

My husband was finishing an evangelistic campaign today, therefore I had to be present. It's late now, but I tried to answer the main points of your last post. Some things I don't answer immediately, because I think it would be good for some aspects of the subject to be discussed before I attempt to give an answer. Anyway, I hope our discussion may be of some help to you.

Quote:
This is what I am still not understanding though--do you acknowledge that the sins of the unbelieving idolator for instance defiled the temple without sacrifice ever being made?

No, not the sins of the unbelieving idolater, but the sins of, for instance, the idolater who professed to belong to God’s people. The cleansing of the sanctuary had to do only with the sins of God’s professed people.

Quote:
But keep in mind that from Adam through Abraham's time, and up until the law was given in stone the sacrifice WAS enough, and there was no mention of a two-apartment building.

Keep in mind that light is progressive.

Quote:
The building, as I mentioned above, was meant to emphasize the people's, and indeed even the high priest's separation from God on a daily basis, so that only through indirect mediation could they be reconciled to him.

It must be more than just that. From Adam to Sinai there were priests already (in the earliest times every man was the priest of his own household. In the days of Abraham the priesthood was regarded as the birthright of the eldest son); therefore, people already understood their need for a mediator.

Quote:
Why was the blood taken inside the building? Why were the priests instructed to eat the meat of the sin offerings?...

To make atonement, but how?
In which way do you think that the priest’s eating of the meat of the sacrifice could make atonement?

Quote:
It will be on the basis of that Sacrifice--and its one ministration before He sat down, which is my issue.

So what do you believe? That Christ is not mediating today, but is just sat down?

Quote:
But on a related note that is not a sidetrack, is it your view then that the day of atonement has reference to the 1,000 years and to the final judgment as well?

If I’m not mistaken you have mentioned that you believe the day of atonement is also related to judgment and to the final disposition of sin.
The day of atonement is clearly a day of judgment. But God’s judgment has several phases. The Bible speaks of a judgment before Christ’s coming (Dan. 7:9, 10, 26), of a judgment during the millennium (Rev. 20:4, Matt. 19:28, 1 Cor. 6:2, 3), and of a judgment after the millennium (Rev. 20:11-13).
The Bible says we will be judged (2 Cor. 5:10). As you see it, when will this happen?

Quote:
But the record spoken of in the final judgment is not the same as actual transfer of sin. It is a record.

OK, in relation to the sanctuary I also believe it is a record, and so does Ellen White.

Quote:
There is no indication that Jesus is now bearing our sin. He did that and paid for it already.

In relation to the transfer of sin to the victim and to the priest, who are living beings, it cannot refer just to a record. The symbolism naturally goes beyond that.
Atonement has to do with forgiveness of sin. How is forgiveness granted? What is the essence of the doctrine of justification by faith? Isn’t it in the great exchange of our sins for Christ’s righteousness? Exchange is the key word. Our sins are reckoned to the account of Christ, and His righteousness is reckoned to our account. This happened objectively on the cross, but it must happen subjectively now. Sin crucifies Christ again (Heb. 6:6). So, every time we sin, Christ bears our sin again. Ellen White has some interesting quotes about that which I will post in the other thread.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #91865
09/15/07 03:47 AM
09/15/07 03:47 AM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
I will get to the other in a bit. But are you ever going to clarify the context of Numbers 18 or the use of the term "bear" in the other passage?

If not then your chances of convincing me on transfer are slim to none and we can go to the next issue.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #91866
09/15/07 04:38 AM
09/15/07 04:38 AM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Tall,

My husband was finishing an evangelistic campaign today, therefore I had to be present. It's late now, but I tried to answer the main points of your last post. Some things I don't answer immediately, because I think it would be good for some aspects of the subject to be discussed before I attempt to give an answer. Anyway, I hope our discussion may be of some help to you.

I hope the meetings are going well.

I remember those being very busy times.

Quote:

Quote:

No, not the sins of the unbelieving idolater, but the sins of, for instance, the idolater who professed to belong to God’s people. The cleansing of the sanctuary had to do only with the sins of God’s professed people.

I see I was using confusing language. My bad. I think we are getting closer...

So do you believe that the sinning Israelite who practiced idolatry and was killed for his sin without ever sacrificing defiled the temple by his actions?

Quote:

Quote:
But keep in mind that from Adam through Abraham's time, and up until the law was given in stone the sacrifice WAS enough, and there was no mention of a two-apartment building.

Keep in mind that light is progressive.

The basic sanctuary service was in place.

Quote:

Quote:
The building, as I mentioned above, was meant to emphasize the people's, and indeed even the high priest's separation from God on a daily basis, so that only through indirect mediation could they be reconciled to him.

It must be more than just that. From Adam to Sinai there were priests already (in the earliest times every man was the priest of his own household. In the days of Abraham the priesthood was regarded as the birthright of the eldest son); therefore, people already understood their need for a mediator.

Do you have a text that anywhere indicates that Abraham was bearing sin on himself for his family?

I don't.

He acted as spiritual leader for his home.

Quote:

Quote:
Why was the blood taken inside the building? Why were the priests instructed to eat the meat of the sin offerings?...

To make atonement, but how?
In which way do you think that the priest’s eating of the meat of the sacrifice could make atonement?

why not quote my whole statement which elaborated what I meant?

Quote:

From that I imagine it was to be presented before God. The sacrifice was accepted by God to atone for the broken law (now I imagine our brother Ewall may have a different view on this part).

Hebrews too emphasized not only the sacrifice but the offering before God of that sacrifice and the resulting direct access to God where Christ went in to dwell.

The type must always be understood in light of the fulfillment.

The author of Hebrews seems to indicate that a presentation of blood is necessary.
 Quote:

Quote:

So what do you believe? That Christ is not mediating today, but is just sat down?

He intercedes from the throne, having performed the one presentation of His sacrifice.

As to mediating, all mediation is based on this already accomplished act.

I do not in any way think He is currently bearing sins. That is precisely what Hebrews says did not happen. He went once to bear sin. Now He is in God's presence, reigning with Him, having made full provision for forgiveness.

Quote:

Quote:

If I’m not mistaken you have mentioned that you believe the day of atonement is also related to judgment and to the final disposition of sin.
The day of atonement is clearly a day of judgment. But God’s judgment has several phases. The Bible speaks of a judgment before Christ’s coming (Dan. 7:9, 10, 26), of a judgment during the millennium (Rev. 20:4, Matt. 19:28, 1 Cor. 6:2, 3), and of a judgment after the millennium (Rev. 20:11-13).
The Bible says we will be judged (2 Cor. 5:10). As you see it, when will this happen?

The judgment in chapter 7 is on the little horn.

The judgment during the 1k years is a bit vague. The Scriptures do not say the nature of the judgment.

The great white throne judgment though judges all the dead, great and small. Notice this phrase:

Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

That sounds as though everyone has a part in it. Some are in the book, some are not.

Now notice also the words of Paul:

Rom 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
Rom 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Rom 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

It is at that judgment, when all are present, and all admit that God is ruler, when sin is FINALLY dealt with, that we truly have a judgment on the saints. There is no need for an investigative judgment to make sure everything is just because all declare it so at the end.

Note the above text indicates that

a. we are present. Paul, a believer, includes himself.
b. we give an account to God (which cannot happen in a pre-advent IJ
c. we all confess.

This is the true judgment ,the true end of sin.

The other is just the judgment on the little horn.

Quote:

Quote:
But the record spoken of in the final judgment is not the same as actual transfer of sin. It is a record.

OK, in relation to the sanctuary I also believe it is a record, and so does Ellen White.

I am not sure what you mean bye “in relation to the sanctuary”. I was speaking of the final judgment.

Notice what EGW thinks:

As anciently the sins of the people were by faith placed upon the sin offering and through its blood transferred, in figure, to the earthly sanctuary, so in the new covenant the sins of the repentant are by faith placed upon Christ and transferred, in fact, to the heavenly sanctuary. {GC 421.3}

She believes that the sin is really transferred to Christ and remains on Him now. I do not.

He bore it once and is done with it.

Quote:

Quote:
There is no indication that Jesus is now bearing our sin. He did that and paid for it already.

In relation to the transfer of sin to the victim and to the priest, who are living beings, it cannot refer just to a record. The symbolism naturally goes beyond that.

You have yet to show it for the priest, and the victim received it and then DIED for it, making atonement.

Quote:

Atonement has to do with forgiveness of sin. How is forgiveness granted? What is the essence of the doctrine of justification by faith? Isn’t it in the great exchange of our sins for Christ’s righteousness? Exchange is the key word. Our sins are reckoned to the account of Christ, and His righteousness is reckoned to our account.

Jesus already dealt with our sin by the one act.

Heb 10:14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

Heb 1:3 He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making, purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.

Heb 9:25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
Heb 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

We avail ourselves of this act or not.

Quote:

This happened objectively on the cross, but it must happen subjectively now. Sin crucifies Christ again (Heb. 6:6). So, every time we sin, Christ bears our sin again. Ellen White has some interesting quotes about that which I will post in the other thread.

The context of Hebrews is a people who once stood for their faith, enduring persecution, but now are in danger of falling away, likely back to Judaism. To prevent this the author engages in alternating exhortation and theological reasoning to show that Christ is superior in every way to what they want to fall back to.

He notes that if they fall away they

crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

It is my contention that this is speaking of them causing reproach and shame to Christ by their public renouncing of Him. It hurts Christ.

I don’t think this is in any way a treatise on the actual sin of people still being on Christ for thousands of years. He put away sin.

Last edited by tall73; 09/15/07 04:47 AM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #91871
09/15/07 11:07 PM
09/15/07 11:07 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
So do you believe that the sinning Israelite who practiced idolatry and was killed for his sin without ever sacrificing defiled the temple by his actions?

The Bible is clear that his actions defiled the temple, but even though he might not offer a sacrifice himself, a sacrifice was made in his behalf every day, since he professed to be a child of God.

Quote:
Do you have a text that anywhere indicates that Abraham was bearing sin on himself for his family? I don't. He acted as spiritual leader for his home.

The question is, can a priest bear sin? If there are biblical passages which show that he can, then Abraham was in figure bearing the sin of his family, which he, in figure, transferred to the victim he was about to slay.

Quote:

Why not quote my whole statement which elaborated what I meant?

This is not necessary. I just want to know your opinion about what I asked, that is, In which way could the priest’s act of eating the sin offering make atonement?

Quote:
I do not in any way think He is currently bearing sins. That is precisely what Hebrews says did not happen. He went once to bear sin. Now He is in God's presence, reigning with Him, having made full provision for forgiveness.

Bearing someone’s sin just means assuming responsibility for that sin and enduring the pain that that sin brings. So I understand you believe that when I confess my sin Christ doesn’t assume the responsibility for it; also, that He doesn’t suffer for my sin. My sin brought pain to His heart just on the cross - it brings no pain to Him today.

Quote:
The judgment in chapter 7 is on the little horn.

If the little horn is a Christian power, this judgment involves the professed people of God. What is your opinion about Dan. 7:22: “until the Ancient of Days came and adjudication was granted to the saints of the Most High”?

Quote:
The judgment during the 1k years is a bit vague. The Scriptures do not say the nature of the judgment.

It seems very clear to me in passages such as those I quoted (Rev. 20:4, Matt. 19:28, 1 Cor. 6:2,3). The saints will be judging, not being judged, during this time.

Quote:
It is at that judgment, when all are present, and all admit that God is ruler, when sin is FINALLY dealt with, that we truly have a judgment on the saints. There is no need for an investigative judgment to make sure everything is just because all declare it so at the end.

How do you view Hebrews 9:27: “And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment”? Is this true just of the wicked?
And how do you view Luke 20:35: “But those who are accounted worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage”? Does God account the saints worthy to inherit eternal life and then judges them 1k years later?

Quote:
It is my contention that this is speaking of them causing reproach and shame to Christ by their public renouncing of Him. It hurts Christ. I don’t think this is in any way a treatise on the actual sin of people still being on Christ for thousands of years. He put away sin.

Every sin hurts Christ, but especially the sins of His professed people. Sin wasn’t put away on the cross. It’s alive and well on planet earth. What the cross did was to make it possible for sin to be put away. In my view sin will be put away when it ceases to exist.

Now about Lev. 10:17 and Num. 18:1.
I agree that Num. 18:1 could be interpreted in the way you suggested, but this is not true of Lev. 10:17.
Your contention is that in Num. 18:1 the verb nasa means “to bear,” but in Lev. 10:17 it means “to forgive.”
I don’t think this could be the case for two reasons. Lev. 10:17 says: “Why have you not eaten the sin offering in the place of the sanctuary, since it is a thing most holy and has been given to you that you may bear the iniquity of the congregation, to make atonement for them before the LORD?”

1) If the verb is interpreted as “to forgive”, the text would read, “[the sin offering] has been given to you that you may forgive the iniquity of the congregation.” This meaning is unacceptable, since it’s God who forgives sins, not the priests; the priests just made atonement so that people might be forgiven by God. No version you quoted, and no version I know of, translates the verb nasa here as “to forgive”.

2) It’s clear in the text that the priests would “nasa the iniquity” of the congregation by the act of eating the sin offering. How could the act of eating the sin offering in any way symbolize that sin was being removed or taken away (the other renderings suggested) from the offender? The only way this would be possible would be through the symbolism of the priest’s bearing the sin, that is, taking the sin of the offender upon himself, or assuming the responsibility for his sin.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #91877
09/16/07 02:51 AM
09/16/07 02:51 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Bearing someone’s sin just means assuming responsibility for that sin and enduring the pain that that sin brings. So I understand you believe that when I confess my sin Christ doesn’t assume the responsibility for it; also, that He doesn’t suffer for my sin. My sin brought pain to His heart just on the cross - it brings no pain to Him today.

I think statements like this are getting to the real issue. Everyone agrees that sin is the problem, and Christ the solution, especially Christ's death on the cross and what the sanctuary system teaches. But just what is the problem that sin causes which Christ fixes?

What I hear from tall is that sin is only a legal issue, and was dealt with by Christ's death because that paid the price for it. Rosangela is bringing out that sin is not just a legal problem. Christ's bearing our sin is not just a legal thing.

Here's what Peter says:

Quote:
For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. (1 Pet. 3:18)

Christ's death "brings us to God." This is speaking of a work of reconciliation, of two parties being brought together, which is what the atonement, or "at-one-ment" is all about.

I believe the sanctuary is dealing with this very issue. It is an object lesson of how God and man are reconciled, which is to say, how man is brought to God. Christ's work in the heavenly sanctuary as our High Priest is all about how we are brought to God.

The Day of Atonement is tied in with the wedding, which is about intimacy. It is an even closer coming together.

Christ's mission was to reconcile us to God by revealing to us what God is really like (John 1:18). He is continuing to do this same work.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 9 of 39 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!