HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 42 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 41 42
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92112
10/08/07 05:52 PM
10/08/07 05:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Justice? What does demanding double pain and punishment have to do with justice? Whatever happened to an eye for an eye?

Here's what happened to an eye for an eye:

Quote:
You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." But I say to you, Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile. Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you.(Matt. 5)

God's character is one of forgiveness. The statements in Revelation must be understood in the context of a cry for justice, which, in Scripture, is setting things right. Their interpretation should be in harmony with God's character, which is represented by Christ's remarks.

The demand for double punishment is in reference to Babylon, isn't it? (Rev. 18:6)

Quote:
God is the one who resurrects them, who gives them life, right? He is the one who displays their sins in panoramic view without censorship, without protection, right? He is the one who rains fire down upon them, right? He is the one who exposes them to His unveiled glory, right? So how can you say God just sits back and weeps while they reap the natural consequences of sinning?

Please be much more careful in how you characterize things. Specifically I have in reference "God just sits back and weeps." This certainly is putting adding an emotional content to my post which doesn't exist in the original. I think you would be better off simply quoting what I wrote rather than misrepresenting it.

God's glory is simply His character. Your questions seem to imply that God is doing something artificial to the wicked, in order to cause them pain. But God is simply being Himself. Their pain is caused by their own wrecked character. God simply takes no joy in their pain.

All the principles I'm speaking of are very clearly brought out in GC 641-643. Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
He would make them happy if He could do so in accordance with the laws of His government and the justice of His character. He surrounds them with the tokens of His love, He grants them a knowledge of His law, and follows them with the offers of His mercy; but they despise His love, make void His law, and reject His mercy. While constantly receiving His gifts, they dishonor the Giver; they hate God because they know that He abhors their sins. The Lord bears long with their perversity; but the decisive hour will come at last, when their destiny is to be decided. Will He then chain these rebels to His side? Will He force them to do His will? {GC 541.4}

Those who have chosen Satan as their leader and have been controlled by his power are not prepared to enter the presence of God. Pride, deception, licentiousness, cruelty, have become fixed in their characters. Can they enter heaven to dwell forever with those whom they despised and hated on earth? Truth will never be agreeable to a liar; meekness will not satisfy self-esteem and pride; purity is not acceptable to the corrupt; disinterested love does not appear attractive to the selfish. What source of enjoyment could heaven offer to those who are wholly absorbed in earthly and selfish interests? {GC 542.1}

Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation
were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. {GC 542.2}

Notice that God would make them happy if He could. His desire is for their happiness. That is His character.

The reason for their suffering is pointed out here. Their characters make it so they are not happy in God's presence, or amongst those who follow His principles. Their exclusion from heaven is "voluntary with themselves."

Quote:
Is God's will therefore to permit evil to happen, is it not?

It is not God's will that evil occur ever. God would have all be in harmony with Him and His law. But people, and angels, choose to reject God's wishers, and act according to their own desires.

It is God's will to permit His creatures to exercise their free will, but it is not His will that they should exercise it to do evil.

Quote:
So, you believe the following insight should be interpreted to mean holy angels withdrew their protection and allowed evil angels to work destruction, is that what you're saying? How is that any better than believing holy angels did it? It reminds me of the mafia - Jesus is the Godfather and Satan is the hit man.

Actually it is your view which is mafia-like. According to your view, God, in Egpyt, like a mafia guy extorting protection money, applied more and more pressure until finally Pharaoh gave in.

God was not using Satan to do His will, as it was not His will that anyone be destroyed. God would have all be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth.

The right principle is clearly laid out in GC chapater 1.

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control. {GC 35.3}

God was working to save Egypt, but Egypt refused. Eventually, by stubborn rejection of divine law and mercy, they caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to do *his* will. The destruction of Egypt is a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control.

EGW writes:

Quote:
When Christ ceases His intercession in the sanctuary, the unmingled wrath threatened against those who worship the beast and his image and receive his mark (Revelation 14:9, 10), will be poured out. The plagues upon Egypt when God was about to deliver Israel were similar in character to those more terrible and extensive judgments which are to fall upon the world just before the final deliverance of God's people. (GC 627, 628)

Regarding the plagues in Revelation, she writes:

Quote:
The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation; the Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn. Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one. Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. (GC 614)

Quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. {14MR 3.1}

In GC chapter 1, EGW also relates the final plagues to the destruction of Jerusalem, the principles of which we have already discussed.

Now if the character of the plagues of Egypt is similar to the final plagues, and the final plagues come about as God withdraws His protection, allowing the evil one sway to do his will, it only stands to reason that the same thing that will happen in the final plagues happened in Egypt.

Interpreting things this way makes everything fit together. God, in this interpretation, is acting consistently by the same principles, which are the principles detailed in GC chapter 1, and demonstrated in the life and character of Jesus Christ during His incarnation.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92114
10/09/07 02:43 PM
10/09/07 02:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
MM:How do you explain the following inspired insight:

In earnest, agonizing prayer they call for God to pass them not by. The kings, the mighty men, the lofty, the proud, the mean man, alike bow together under a pressure of woe, desolation, misery inexpressible; heart-anguished prayers are wrung from their lips. Mercy! mercy! Save us from the wrath of an offended God! A voice answers them with terrible distinctness, sternness, and majesty: "Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out My hand, and no man regarded; but ye have set at nought all My counsel, and would none of My reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh." {2T 41.2}

My reply:

This is just quoting Prov. 1:26. Why not just quote the Scripture? Why quote Ellen White quoting Scripture?

To answer your question, inspiration often presents God as doing that which He permits. For example, "God killed Saul."

The explanation of the principle I am aware of is the first chapter of "The Great Controversy" which we find many phrases speaking of God's wrath, God's retribution, and so forth, punctuated by the following:

Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.(GC 35)

What we should bear in mind is that Satan is constantly seeking to misrepresent God's character.

Quote:
Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God,
attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. (DA 21, 22)

In order to rightly interpret inspired statements, we need to keep these facts in mind.

The truth about God's character was revealed in Jesus Christ.

Quote:
The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. {DA 22.1}

Whatever inspired statements we are considering must conform to these principles. Specifically, given that all that man can know about God was revealed in the life and character of Christ, our interpretations must be in harmony with what Christ revealed in His life during His incarnation.

TE: This is just quoting Prov. 1:26. Why not just quote the Scripture? Why quote Ellen White quoting Scripture?

MM: Here it is again (please note that nearly two-thirds of the paragraph is Sister White's comments):

In earnest, agonizing prayer they call for God to pass them not by. The kings, the mighty men, the lofty, the proud, the mean man, alike bow together under a pressure of woe, desolation, misery inexpressible; heart-anguished prayers are wrung from their lips. Mercy! mercy! Save us from the wrath of an offended God! A voice answers them with terrible distinctness, sternness, and majesty: "Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out My hand, and no man regarded; but ye have set at nought all My counsel, and would none of My reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh." {2T 41.2}

Earlier in this dialog you asked where in inspiration does it describe God expressing satisfaction in the punishment of the wicked. You stated God will display utter sorrow at the final demise of the wicked. Yet you didn't support it with a Thus saith the Lord. Instead you used logical deduction. Again, here is what Inspiration says about it:

"I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh." I realize this is disgusting to you, but it is the truth according to Inspiration. There are plenty of passages that say the same thing. We cannot ignore them. Nor can we explain away the obvious meaning of the Word of God with smooth sayings, pleasing to the soul, sayings which imply God is too merciful and loving to execute justice. But the Lord of Sabaoth will arise and avenge.

GC 539, 540
God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. The death of the spotless Son of God testifies that "the wages of sin is death," that every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution. {GC 539.3}

2T 682
Riches bring with them great responsibilities. To obtain wealth by unjust dealing, by overreaching in trade, by oppressing the widow and the fatherless, or by hoarding up riches and neglecting the wants of the needy, will eventually bring the just retribution described by the inspired apostle: "Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you. Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days. Behold, the hire of the laborers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth." {2T 682.1}

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92115
10/09/07 02:49 PM
10/09/07 02:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Justice? What does demanding double pain and punishment have to do with justice? Whatever happened to an eye for an eye?

TE: Here's what happened to an eye for an eye:

Quote:
You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." But I say to you, Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile. Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you.(Matt. 5)

God's character is one of forgiveness. The statements in Revelation must be understood in the context of a cry for justice, which, in Scripture, is setting things right. Their interpretation should be in harmony with God's character, which is represented by Christ's remarks.

The demand for double punishment is in reference to Babylon, isn't it? (Rev. 18:6)

Tom, you seem to be suggesting that Jesus contradicted Himself, that He refuted and rejected His earlier commandments. That simply is not true, is it? Again, what does demanding double punishment have to do with justice? How does this attitude represent the character of Jesus?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92116
10/09/07 02:56 PM
10/09/07 02:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: God is the one who resurrects them, who gives them life, right? He is the one who displays their sins in panoramic view without censorship, without protection, right? He is the one who rains fire down upon them, right? He is the one who exposes them to His unveiled glory, right? So how can you say God just sits back and weeps while they reap the natural consequences of sinning?

TE: Please be much more careful in how you characterize things. Specifically I have in reference "God just sits back and weeps." This certainly is putting adding an emotional content to my post which doesn't exist in the original. I think you would be better off simply quoting what I wrote rather than misrepresenting it.

God's glory is simply His character. Your questions seem to imply that God is doing something artificial to the wicked, in order to cause them pain. But God is simply being Himself. Their pain is caused by their own wrecked character. God simply takes no joy in their pain.

All the principles I'm speaking of are very clearly brought out in GC 641-643. Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
He would make them happy if He could do so in accordance with the laws of His government and the justice of His character. He surrounds them with the tokens of His love, He grants them a knowledge of His law, and follows them with the offers of His mercy; but they despise His love, make void His law, and reject His mercy. While constantly receiving His gifts, they dishonor the Giver; they hate God because they know that He abhors their sins. The Lord bears long with their perversity; but the decisive hour will come at last, when their destiny is to be decided. Will He then chain these rebels to His side? Will He force them to do His will? {GC 541.4}

Those who have chosen Satan as their leader and have been controlled by his power are not prepared to enter the presence of God. Pride, deception, licentiousness, cruelty, have become fixed in their characters. Can they enter heaven to dwell forever with those whom they despised and hated on earth? Truth will never be agreeable to a liar; meekness will not satisfy self-esteem and pride; purity is not acceptable to the corrupt; disinterested love does not appear attractive to the selfish. What source of enjoyment could heaven offer to those who are wholly absorbed in earthly and selfish interests? {GC 542.1}

Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation
were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. {GC 542.2}

Notice that God would make them happy if He could. His desire is for their happiness. That is His character.

The reason for their suffering is pointed out here. Their characters make it so they are not happy in God's presence, or amongst those who follow His principles. Their exclusion from heaven is "voluntary with themselves."

Tom, I’m sorry I misrepresented your ideas. For some reason I have the impression that you believe God will do nothing to punish the wicked other than withdraw His protection and allow them to reap the natural consequences of sinning, and that He will watch and weep as they perish in the lake of fire. Does this jive with what you believe?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92118
10/09/07 03:02 PM
10/09/07 03:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: It is God's will therefore to permit evil to happen, is it not?

TE: It is not God's will that evil occur ever. God would have all be in harmony with Him and His law. But people, and angels, choose to reject God's wishers, and act according to their own desires.

It is God's will to permit His creatures to exercise their free will, but it is not His will that they should exercise it to do evil.

Does God allow evil to happen? Does He allow wicked men to work evil? Does He allow evil angels to work evil? Is it His will to permit evil-doers to work evil?

PS - I'll address the rest of your post later on.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92119
10/09/07 03:47 PM
10/09/07 03:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: It is God's will therefore to permit evil to happen, is it not?

TE: It is not God's will that evil occur ever. God would have all be in harmony with Him and His law. But people, and angels, choose to reject God's wishers, and act according to their own desires.

MM:Does God allow evil to happen? Does He allow wicked men to work evil? Does He allow evil angels to work evil? Is it His will to permit evil-doers to work evil?

God *never* wants evil to happen. Never, ever, ever. God permits His creature to exercise free will. It is always God's will that His creatures act in harmony with His laws, because that's the only path to life, happiness, peace, and all good things.

Because God permits something to happen does not mean He wants the thing He permits to happen, any more than than if we permit something to happen by someone we have power over.

Are you suggesting God wants His creatures to sin, and experience the suffering etc. that comes from that?

PS - I'll address the rest of your post later on.

OK.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92120
10/09/07 05:13 PM
10/09/07 05:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, I’m sorry I misrepresented your ideas.

Thanks. "Just sits back and weeps" has a pejorative feel to it, which should be evident to you when writing. What you wrote here was much better phrased.

Quote:
For some reason I have the impression that you believe God will do nothing to punish the wicked other than withdraw His protection and allow them to reap the natural consequences of sinning, and that He will watch and weep as they perish in the lake of fire. Does this jive with what you believe?

What I believe comes from Scripture and the Spirit of Prophecy. In particular, DA 764 is a description of the event which has made an impression, as well as things she wrote in GC 541-543, as well as other places.

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. {DA 764.1}

This has two main themes, it seems to me. Well, maybe three. The first two I was thinking of is that death is caused by separating from God. "he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life." The second is that the glory of God destroys the wicked, which is caused by their wrecking their character: "By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them."

The third theme is that their death is not caused by God, but by themselves. Just take a look at how many times she brings this out:

a)This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God.
b)The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown.
c)God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.
d)He is "alienated from the life of God."
e)Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36.
f)God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice.
g)By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire.
h)The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

That's 8 times in just one paragraph! She continues on this theme in the following one.

To says that God "sits back and weeps" belittles both God's action, and His weeping. I don't see how anyone could think that God wouldn't weep. Is God callous? Consider the following:

Quote:
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! (Matt. 23:37)

Ellen White's comment:

Quote:
Jesus gazes upon the scene, and the vast multitude hush their shouts, spellbound by the sudden vision of beauty. All eyes turn upon the Saviour, expecting to see in His countenance the admiration they themselves feel. But instead of this they behold a cloud of sorrow. They are surprised and disappointed to see His eyes fill with tears, and His body rock to and fro like a tree before the tempest, while a wail of anguish bursts from His quivering lips, as if from the depths of a broken heart. (DA 575)

I'm curious as to what sort of picture one could have of God that would not involve Him weeping uncontrollably when His children perish.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92121
10/09/07 05:27 PM
10/09/07 05:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
For some odd reason, I'm taking your posts in backwards order, upside down, so to speak. Continuing:

MM: Justice? What does demanding double pain and punishment have to do with justice? Whatever happened to an eye for an eye?

TE: Here's what happened to an eye for an eye:

Quote:

MM:Tom, you seem to be suggesting that Jesus contradicted Himself, that He refuted and rejected His earlier commandments.

Not at all. Jesus Himself addressed the objection you are making as follows:

Quote:
3The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?

4And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

7They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

8He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. (Matt. 19)

God made certain accommodations because of the hardness of their hearts, but His will was clearly revealed by Jesus Christ. *God's* way is not "eye for eye and tooth for tooth" but "love your enemies," "bless those who despitefully use you" "walk the second mile" "turn the other cheek." This is how God is, as we see clearly revealed by Jesus Christ, who did just these things.

That simply is not true, is it? Again, what does demanding double punishment have to do with justice? How does this attitude represent the character of Jesus?

You're talking about Rev. 18:6, right? Which is dealing with the corrupt system of Babylon? The angels are expressing their desire that this wicked system come to an end.

I'm not understanding why you don't understand that their cry is a cry for justice. It's like the cry of the souls under the altar.

Their attitude represents the attitude of Jesus because Jesus also wants things to be set right. He hates the system of Babylon also.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92122
10/09/07 06:19 PM
10/09/07 06:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Earlier in this dialog you asked where in inspiration does it describe God expressing satisfaction in the punishment of the wicked.

I don't recall this. Where?

You stated God will display utter sorrow at the final demise of the wicked.

These weren't my words, but yes, God will, of course, be very sad to see His children perish. How could He not be?

Yet you didn't support it with a Thus saith the Lord. Instead you used logical deduction.

From what? From Scripture, and other inspired statements, correct? IOW, from "Thus saith the Lord."

Again, here is what Inspiration says about it:

"I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh."

I realize this is disgusting to you, but it is the truth according to Inspiration.

What may be disgusting to me is not inspiration, but your interpretation of it. You take things literally which should not be. The bedrock of inspiration is Jesus Christ. Apart from a knowledge of Christ, *no* scripture can be correctly understood. At times, you seem to want to take interpretations that present God in the worst possible light. Instead, what should be done, is to take interpretations which present God's character to be in harmony with what was revealed by Jesus Christ.

Where in Jesus Christ's life during the incarnation do you see Him laughing at the misfortune of another? How can you even imagine that God is like this?

There is absolutely no hope of correctly interpreting Scripture (or SOP) if you read what is written with no regard for what other Scripture has revealed, in particular, in relation to God's character.

There are plenty of passages that say the same thing. We cannot ignore them.

They don't need to be ignored. Just understood.

Nor can we explain away the obvious meaning of the Word of God with smooth sayings, pleasing to the soul, sayings which imply God is too merciful and loving to execute justice. But the Lord of Sabaoth will arise and avenge.

Not in the way you appear to be thinking, which would be out of harmony with what Jesus Christ revealed. God will execute justice as has been revealed in inspiration.

The way God will destroy is plainly stated in inspiration, and I have quoted these sayings to you many times. For example, EGW writes of how God will show He is the living God by His withdrawal. In GC chapter 1 she writes the following:

Quote:
Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. {GC 36.1}

This is in reference to the destruction of Jerusalem, which the methodology of how God destroys is spelled out in great detail.

Quote:
By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them... (GC 35)... Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control. {GC 35.3}

GC 539, 540
God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. The death of the spotless Son of God testifies that "the wages of sin is death," that every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution. {GC 539.3}

This paragraph should not be read in isolation, but in conjunction with other things she wrote (for example, in conjunction with the chapter that she started the book with!)

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92130
10/10/07 03:55 PM
10/10/07 03:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
So, you believe the following insight should be interpreted to mean holy angels withdrew their protection and allowed evil angels to work destruction, is that what you're saying? How is that any better than believing holy angels did it? It reminds me of the mafia - Jesus is the Godfather and Satan is the hit man.

Actually it is your view which is mafia-like. According to your view, God, in Egpyt, like a mafia guy extorting protection money, applied more and more pressure until finally Pharaoh gave in.

God was not using Satan to do His will, as it was not His will that anyone be destroyed. God would have all be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth.

The right principle is clearly laid out in GC chapater 1.

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control. {GC 35.3}

God was working to save Egypt, but Egypt refused. Eventually, by stubborn rejection of divine law and mercy, they caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to do *his* will. The destruction of Egypt is a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control.

EGW writes:

Quote:
When Christ ceases His intercession in the sanctuary, the unmingled wrath threatened against those who worship the beast and his image and receive his mark (Revelation 14:9, 10), will be poured out. The plagues upon Egypt when God was about to deliver Israel were similar in character to those more terrible and extensive judgments which are to fall upon the world just before the final deliverance of God's people. (GC 627, 628)

Regarding the plagues in Revelation, she writes:

Quote:
The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation; the Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn. Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one. Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. (GC 614)

Quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. {14MR 3.1}

In GC chapter 1, EGW also relates the final plagues to the destruction of Jerusalem, the principles of which we have already discussed.

Now if the character of the plagues of Egypt is similar to the final plagues, and the final plagues come about as God withdraws His protection, allowing the evil one sway to do his will, it only stands to reason that the same thing that will happen in the final plagues happened in Egypt.

Interpreting things this way makes everything fit together. God, in this interpretation, is acting consistently by the same principles, which are the principles detailed in GC chapter 1, and demonstrated in the life and character of Jesus Christ during His incarnation.

Tom, I see now that you believe all punishment occurs when God commands His holy angels to step aside and allow the evil angels to work devastation and destruction.

Even if this were true of all cases, which clearly is not the case, how does this bode better for God's character? How is it not arbitrary?

Satan is still restrained, is he not? That is, he is not permitted to wreak havoc at will. No! God regulates it, regulates him. God masterminds the whole thing.

Also, where does it say in Inspiration that evil angels pour out the seven last plagues? I have yet to read where it says evil angels pour out the plagues. I have read where they work during the outpouring of the plagues, but I have not read where they are the ones who pour out the seven last plagues.

Here are some other insights regarding who pours out the plagues. They plainly say holy angels pour them out. By the way, the four angels of Rev 7 withdraw so that the seven angels of Rev 15 & 16 can pour out the plagues. All of these angels are in and from heaven. No private interpretation is needed.

And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvellous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God... And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God, and from his power; and no man was able to enter into the temple, till the seven plagues of the seven angels were fulfilled... And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth. (Rev 15:1, 8 and 16:1)

At the general conference of believers in the present truth, held at Sutton, Vermont, September, 1850, I was shown that the seven last plagues will be poured out after Jesus leaves the sanctuary. Said the angel, "It is the wrath of God and the Lamb that causes the destruction or death of the wicked. At the voice of God the saints will be mighty and terrible as an army with banners, but they will not then execute the judgment written. The execution of the judgment will be at the close of the one thousand years." {EW 52.1}

Then I saw that the seven last plagues were soon to be poured out upon those who have no shelter; yet the world regarded them no more than they would so many drops of water that were about to fall. I was then made capable of enduring the awful sight of the seven last plagues, the wrath of God. I saw that His anger was dreadful and terrible, and if He should stretch forth His hand, or lift it in anger, the inhabitants of the world would be as though they had never been, or would suffer from incurable sores and withering plagues that would come upon them, and they would find no deliverance, but be destroyed by them. Terror seized me, and I fell upon my face before the angel and begged of him to cause the sight to be removed, to hide it from me, for it was too dreadful. Then I realized, as never before, the importance of searching the Word of God carefully, to know how to escape the plagues which that Word declares shall come on all the ungodly who shall worship the beast and his image and receive his mark in their foreheads or in their hands. It was a great wonder for me that any could transgress the law of God and tread down His holy Sabbath, when such awful threatenings and denunciations were against them. {EW 64.2}

The world is soon to be left by the angel of mercy, and the seven last plagues are to be poured out. Sin, shame, sorrow, and darkness are on every side; but God still holds out to the souls of men the precious privilege of exchanging darkness for light, error for truth, sin for righteousness. But God's patience and mercy will not always wait. Let not one soul think that he can hide from God's wrath behind a lie, for God will strip from the soul the refuge of lies. The bolts of God's wrath are soon to fall, and when He shall begin to punish the transgressors, there will be no period of respite until the end. The storm of God's wrath is gathering, and those only will stand who are sanctified through the truth in the love of God. They shall be hid with Christ in God till the desolation shall be overpast. He shall come forth to punish the inhabitants of the world for their iniquity, and "the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain." {TM 182.2}

Page 12 of 42 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 41 42

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!