HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 42 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 41 42
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92144
10/11/07 04:18 PM
10/11/07 04:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
Also, your idea that God punishes sinners by commanding holy angels to withdraw and allow evil angels to work evil goes against everything you say about God. God is responsible for everything He permits evil angels to do.

I'd be interested in what you think the everything I say about God is, if you think there is a contradiction here. What I think the everything I say about God is, is that He is exactly like Jesus Christ.

Your argument seems to be that because God is responsible for everything He permits evil angels to do (which is something you think, not me), that means there is some contradiction in regards to what I say about God, given that God destroys by allowing evil angels to destroy.

I'm not seeing the contradiction. Whatever contradiction you see looks to be stemming from what I would say is a faulty premise, which is that God is responsible for what evil angels do. I say that the evil angels are responsible for what they do. God would bear some responsibility if He somehow contributed to their doing evil, like misrepresenting something to them, or being unloving towards them, pushing them in the wrong direction, etc. Otherwise God is no more responsible for their actions than a biological parent would be for the actions of their children (limiting this to simply reproduction, not any errors in upbringing).

The following passage makes no sense if we adopt the idea that God causes destruction by allowing evil angels to work evil.

A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere. {GC 614.2}

"The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits." According to the view you are espousing there is no difference between these two sources of destruction.

When holy angels, or God, destroys, it is by way of withdrawing their protection. When evil angels destroy, they perform the destructive act. "Christ is the restorer. Satan is the destroyer." The way that God destroys is carefully detailed in "The Great Controversy," chapter 1.

I've written many pages to try to explain this to you (and it wouldn't hurt to write many more, as this is not an easy subject for many people to grasp), but it appears to me that you are just ignoring what I wrote. You haven't commented on anything I wrote, but just keep requoting the same passage, while ignoring all the points I have made. If you wish to discuss this further, I'm going to have to ask you to please read the lengthy post I wrote when you first asked your question, and comment on that, or ask some clarifying questions about that. I don't see how simply quoting the same thing over and over again and making the same point or asking the same question over and over again will get us anywhere.

"I'd be interested in what you think the everything I say about God is ..." You believe God is the restorer, not a destroyer. You believe God is love, not a destroyer. You believe God is merciful, not a destroyer. You believe God destroys by allowing evil angels to work destruction.

"God destroys by allowing evil angels to destroy." According to you (and several SOP quotes) God does indeed destroy. How does God destroy? The Bible and SOP explain two ways – 1) By commanding holy angels to destroy, and 2) By permitting evil angels to destroy. In both cases, God gives detailed instruction as to what can and cannot be done. You, on the other hand, seem to be saying that God destroys sinners in only one way, namely, by permitting evil angels to do it.

“I say that the evil angels are responsible for what they do.” Are they free to wreak havoc as they please, when they please? Or, are they restricted by God? You believe “God destroys” by giving evil angels permission to destroy. This is, according you, how God destroys. How, then, can you say 1) God does not destroy, and that 2) God is not responsible for the destruction caused by evil angels when He permits?

If, as you say, God is not responsible for the destruction He permits, who is? Does God leave it up to evil angels to decide how much destruction is enough? Who, if not God, decides how much destruction is enough? Who decides what the appropriate limits are? Who is responsible for ensuring that the destruction does not exceed the appropriate limits?

"The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits." According to the view you are espousing, there is no difference between these two sources of destruction. How can that be?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92145
10/11/07 04:28 PM
10/11/07 04:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: According to the Spirit of Prophecy, all that man can know about God was revealed in the life and character of His Son during His incarnation. If Jesus did not demonstrate the wrath of God, then that is not something we can know about God. That's simple logic. Either that or her statement is false.

MM: Did Jesus demonstrate that God is a consuming fire, that the glory of His personal presence causes things infected with sin to burst into flames and burn up? If not, why, then, do you insist that Jesus revealed everything there is to know about God?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92146
10/11/07 04:34 PM
10/11/07 04:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
Theme number one seems to conflict with two and three. If separation causes death, when would two and three occur?

Yes it does. I wrote quite a lengthy post (not sure if it's in this thread or not) addressing this very point. It discussed my view of the judgment.

I'm not saying my view is correct, but it's an attempt to come up with a theory which fits all the evidence.

Here's your description:

Quote:
This [DA 764] has two main themes, it seems to me. Well, maybe three. The first two I was thinking of is that death is caused by separating from God. "he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life." The second is that the glory of God destroys the wicked, which is caused by their wrecking their character: "By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them." The third theme is that their death is not caused by God, but by themselves.

In response to this description I wrote, "Theme number one seems to conflict with two and three." Then you wrote, "Yes it does... I'm not saying my view is correct ..." Did you mean to say you agree with me, that one conflicts with two and three? If so, how so?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92147
10/11/07 04:42 PM
10/11/07 04:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please answer my question. Does God allow evil-doers to work evil?

This is obviously rhetorical.

Is it His will to allow them to work evil?

God's will is not that evil be done, but that good be done. God created beings with free will, so they are able to do things He does not want them to do. It is God's will to allow His creatures to have free choice.

Of course He doesn't "want" them to work evil. That's not my question.

It's not really clear to me what your question is. My point is that God does not intend for evil to happen, ever. This has never been any part of God's plan. God bears no responsibility whatever for evil, other than whatever responsibility attaches to creating beings with free will, and God has more than addressed this by the sacrifice of His Son.

"This is obviously rhetorical." Does this mean you agree with me, that it is God's will to allow evil-doers to work evil? "In short, God permits evil to occur because evil is a choice made by the beings He created with free will." (#92025)

"My point is that God does not intend for evil to happen, ever." I agree. And I assume we both agree God foresaw evil happening (with you clarifying it was only one of many possibilities God foresaw) and, as such, He was not surprised, just saddened.

"... other than whatever responsibility attaches to creating beings with free will..." What is the nature of this responsibility, as you understand it? How did Jesus' life, death, and resurrection address it?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92150
10/11/07 06:39 PM
10/11/07 06:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Based on these types of statements can you blame me for concluding you believe - "... it is not God, but evil angels, who punish and destroy sinners..."

Yes, because none of the statements you quote say that.

First of all, the meaning of the word "punish" needs to be considered:

Quote:
1 a : to impose a penalty on for a fault, offense, or violation b : to inflict a penalty for the commission of (an offense) in retribution or retaliation

Your used of the phrase "punish and destroy" made me think you referring to the judgment, but your follow up post makes me think otherwise. In any case, evil angels do not "punish" sinners, unless "punish" is being used in an indirect way.

God punishes sinners. He does in the means explained in detail in GC chapter 1.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92155
10/11/07 10:08 PM
10/11/07 10:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
"This is obviously rhetorical." Does this mean you agree with me, that it is God's will to allow evil-doers to work evil?

The "this is obviously rhetorical" is in answer to the question, "Does God allow evil-doers to work evil?"

"In short, God permits evil to occur because evil is a choice made by the beings He created with free will." (#92025)

"My point is that God does not intend for evil to happen, ever." I agree. And I assume we both agree God foresaw evil happening (with you clarifying it was only one of many possibilities God foresaw) and, as such, He was not surprised, just saddened.

"... other than whatever responsibility attaches to creating beings with free will..." What is the nature of this responsibility, as you understand it? How did Jesus' life, death, and resurrection address it?

I don't know why you quoted the rest of this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92156
10/11/07 10:21 PM
10/11/07 10:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is in reference to your post 92146.

Quote:
This [DA 764] has two main themes, it seems to me. Well, maybe three. The first two I was thinking of is that death is caused by separating from God. "he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life." The second is that the glory of God destroys the wicked, which is caused by their wrecking their character: "By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them." The third theme is that their death is not caused by God, but by themselves.

Theme 1 is based on the statement that the destruction of the wicked is not due to an act on God's part, but rather they die because they choose to separate themselves from God, who alone is the source of life. This makes it appear that their death is something which happens by an action they initiate (i.e., their choice to separate from God). This would make it seem like they die because of being separated from God.

Theme 2 is based on the statement that the glory of Him who is love will destroy them. This makes it seem like they die because they are close to God.

Theme 3 is based on the point that the death of the wicked is due to their own choice, which EGW brings out in her description of both Theme 1 and Theme 2.

Themes 1 and 2 seem to be contradictory. The long post I wrote regarding the judgment was motivated, in part, by attempting to come up with a view which harmonizes these apparently contradictory ideas.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92157
10/11/07 10:24 PM
10/11/07 10:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: According to the Spirit of Prophecy, all that man can know about God was revealed in the life and character of His Son during His incarnation. If Jesus did not demonstrate the wrath of God, then that is not something we can know about God. That's simple logic. Either that or her statement is false.

MM: Did Jesus demonstrate that God is a consuming fire, that the glory of His personal presence causes things infected with sin to burst into flames and burn up? If not, why, then, do you insist that Jesus revealed everything there is to know about God?

I didn't "insist" this. Ellen White did. She said that all that man needs to know, or can know, about God was revealed in the life and character of His Son. I got the idea from her.

Regarding if Jesus demonstrated that God is a consuming fire, if this is something that we can know about God, the answer is yes. The same answer applies to your second question, or any other question you can ask like this. "All" means "all." All that we can know about God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92158
10/11/07 10:40 PM
10/11/07 10:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
"I'd be interested in what you think the everything I say about God is ..."

Here's the context of my request.

Quote:
Also, your idea that God punishes sinners by commanding holy angels to withdraw and allow evil angels to work evil goes against everything you say about God.

You wrote that the idea that God punishes sinners by commanding holy angels to withdraw contradicts "everything" I say about God. That's what I was asking you clarify, which you did.

What you say I say about God is, again, taken from Ellen White, who wrote that "Christ is the restorer. Satan is the destroyer." Since I'm simply quoting what she said, and since she also explained how God punishes by commanding His holy angels to withdraw (GC chapter 1; e.g. pages 35-37), it's hard for me to see how there could be a contradiction here.

You believe God is the restorer, not a destroyer. You believe God is love, not a destroyer. You believe God is merciful, not a destroyer. You believe God destroys by allowing evil angels to work destruction.

"God destroys by allowing evil angels to destroy." According to you (and several SOP quotes) God does indeed destroy. How does God destroy? The Bible and SOP explain two ways – 1) By commanding holy angels to destroy, and 2) By permitting evil angels to destroy. In both cases, God gives detailed instruction as to what can and cannot be done. You, on the other hand, seem to be saying that God destroys sinners in only one way, namely, by permitting evil angels to do it.

There's more than two ways. Sinners can destroy themselves, by bad habits, for example. God can command His holy angels to withdraw. God can permit evil angels to destroy. Natural calamities can happen. These are a few ways.

“I say that the evil angels are responsible for what they do.” Are they free to wreak havoc as they please, when they please? Or, are they restricted by God?

I don't understand your motivation for asking these questions. You seem to be implying, by asking these questions, that you believe the evil angels are not responsible for what they do because God does not restrict them to the extent that they are powerless to act at all.

The fact that God restricts them from doing some things in no way implies they are not responsible for the things God allows them to do.

You believe “God destroys” by giving evil angels permission to destroy. This is, according you, how God destroys. How, then, can you say 1) God does not destroy, and that 2) God is not responsible for the destruction caused by evil angels when He permits?

It's not just me, but inspiration does the same thing. Inspiration often presents God as doing that which He permits. When I say that God destroys, it's in the same way the Bible and Ellen White say it. Just like GC chapter 1, for example, where EGW speaks of God's vengeance and retribution, but then explains that it is really Satan who destroys, and then seeks to hide his work by making it appear that God is reponsible (GC 36, I think).

If, as you say, God is not responsible for the destruction He permits, who is?

The beings that destroy.

Does God leave it up to evil angels to decide how much destruction is enough? Who, if not God, decides how much destruction is enough?

Who decides what the appropriate limits are? Who is responsible for ensuring that the destruction does not exceed the appropriate limits?

It's not a case of "enough." It's a case of what happens when Satan is given full rein. This is what GC chapter 1 explains.

"The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits." According to the view you are espousing, there is no difference between these two sources of destruction. How can that be?

I went into great detail regarding this paragraph. The very post you are quoting from says this:

Quote:
I've written many pages to try to explain this to you (and it wouldn't hurt to write many more, as this is not an easy subject for many people to grasp), but it appears to me that you are just ignoring what I wrote. You haven't commented on anything I wrote, but just keep requoting the same passage, while ignoring all the points I have made. If you wish to discuss this further, I'm going to have to ask you to please read the lengthy post I wrote when you first asked your question, and comment on that, or ask some clarifying questions about that. I don't see how simply quoting the same thing over and over again and making the same point or asking the same question over and over again will get us anywhere.

I really do want you to read what I wrote before, as I put quite a lot of effort into that, and it goes into detail, but I will mention an example that might help you to understand the answer to your question.

In Revelation it talks about the angels holding back the winds of strife. The command comes to the angels to "release." When the angels release, these winds, which, according to the Spirit of Prophecy (quote already provided) represent the horrors enacted by Satan which God ceases to have the angels protect against Satan's works. Now if you look in Revelation, it talks about how the *holy* angels had power to hurt such and such.

So here we see the same thing you are inquiring about. In one place, Revelation, it talks about the *holy* angel's destructive power, under the command of God. Yet the SOP explains this in terms of the work *Satan* does, when he is permitted to do so. So the same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands (He commands them to release the winds of strife, and the angels "hurt") is exercised by the hand of evil angels when He permits (He permits Satan and his confederates to unleash havoc upon those who have not been sealed).

One can also think of this in terms of the wrath of God. The wrath of God is often described in terms of God's destroying this or that. It is also described in terms of God's withdrawing. There are tons of Scriptures which present this, which I've quoted many times in the past. Here's just one example:

Quote:
18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; ...24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: (Romans 1)

The wrath of God comes by way of His "giving up" those against whom His wrath is visited.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92164
10/12/07 02:52 PM
10/12/07 02:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
Based on these types of statements can you blame me for concluding you believe - "... it is not God, but evil angels, who punish and destroy sinners..."

Yes, because none of the statements you quote say that.

First of all, the meaning of the word "punish" needs to be considered:

Quote:
1 a : to impose a penalty on for a fault, offense, or violation b : to inflict a penalty for the commission of (an offense) in retribution or retaliation

Your used of the phrase "punish and destroy" made me think you referring to the judgment, but your follow up post makes me think otherwise. In any case, evil angels do not "punish" sinners, unless "punish" is being used in an indirect way.

God punishes sinners. He does in the means explained in detail in GC chapter 1.

"God punishes sinners. He does in the means explained in detail in GC chapter 1." Good distinction - punish versus destroy. It sounds like you are saying God punishes sinners by allowing evil angels to destroy them. What would happen if God never gave evil angels permission to destroy sinners? Would sinning go unpunished?

Quote:
The way God will destroy is plainly stated in inspiration, and I have quoted these sayings to you many times. For example, EGW writes of how God will show He is the living God by His withdrawal. #92122

God, and His angels, destroy by withdrawing. #92025

How does this take place? "No longer combat Satan in his efforts to destroy."#92025

But both Scripture and EGW make it clear that Satan causes the destruction, and that the holy angels simply release the winds of strife. The point here is that inspiration often presents God as doing that which He permits. #92025

The command by God to the Holy Angels is "Release!". This is how the holy angels destroy. #92025

The angels do not act out of harmony with the character of God as revealed by Christ. When Christ was urged to destroy, by calling fire from heaven, He replied, "You know not of what spirit you are." The spirit of Christ is not to destroy, but to restore. Christ is the restorer. Satan is the destroyer. #92025

Page 14 of 42 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 41 42

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!