HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 42 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 41 42
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92214
10/14/07 05:03 PM
10/14/07 05:03 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
"It's true that the destruction did not actually take place right then, but this point is treated in GC chapter 1." If we are going to include actions Jesus took after His sojourn here to demonstrate what God is like, why not include actions before His incarnation?

The whole point of His being incarnated was to clear up the misconceptions people had about God. He became a human being so that we could see what God, as a human being, would look like. God was totally misunderstood.

But if we do this, what good is Sister White's comment about Jesus demonstrating what God is like during His earthly sojourn?

This would indeed be an argument not to do that. What we should do is understand that all that we need to know about God, or can know about Him, was revealed during Christ's incarnation, as Sister White said. Now we have a complete picture. We can go back, and read the Old Testament, in the light of that complete picture.

Besides, when did Jesus demonstrate, while here, that God's glory is a consuming fire, that it causes things infected with sin to burn up and turn into ashes?

When you ask me these questions, it seems to me your argument is running like this.

a.There are some things that God does that Christ didn't do.
b.Therefore EGW's statement that all that we can know about the life and character of God during His incarnation is incorrect.

Rather than reasoning this way, I would suggest you reason as follows.

a.All that we can know about God was revealed in the life and character of His Son during the incarnation.
b.How can I use this knowledge to correctly interpret some act of God I'm interested in.

You are starting from the point of view of doubt (doubting her statement is true, and seeking reasons to verify that doubt). As long as you have this mindset, you will never accept her statement as truth.

Instead I suggest coming at this from the point of view of faith. Assume that it is true that all we can know about God was revealed in the life and character of His Son during His incarnation. Then work from there, and you will be able to see the truth of the statement and verify it. That worked for me anyway. This statement of hers just blew me away the first time I became aware of it. That all that man needs to know about God was revealed is amazing enough, but that all that man *can* know about God was revealed is absolutely astounding.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92215
10/14/07 05:06 PM
10/14/07 05:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, I'm having a hard time reconciling the following statements made by you:

"God bears no responsibility whatever for evil, other than whatever responsibility attaches to creating beings with free will..."

"God is innocent. He has no responsibility."

What did you mean by "whatever responsibility"?

Say you have a child, and train that child perfectly, as perfectly as God Himself could do. Yet the child chooses to do bad things. Say you had no reason beforehand to believe your child would act this way. Are you responsible for the bad choices your son made? Could someone level charges against you for your decision to have a child? God's responsibility is akin to yours, in this hypothetical analogy.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92216
10/14/07 05:13 PM
10/14/07 05:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1. "...the death of the wicked is something which takes place because of *their* initiative." Sinners die the first death because God will not allow them to eat the fruit of the tree of life. The reason for this is because Adam and Eve sinned. So, yes, what they did initiated what God did.

God didn't cause their death. Sin did. This is a fundamental difference in our points of view. In my perspective, God says to us, "Sin will kill you. Let me save you from its deadly effects." whereas your perspective has God saying, "If you don't do what I tell you to, I will torture and kill you."

"To suggest that it's the glory of God that destroys the wicked is fine..." So, it is the glory of God's character that causes sinners to die. And they wouldn't die if God continued to veil His glory, right? How can you say, then, that sin causes sinners to die?

God is love. There's no reason why love should kill anyone. This goes to show what a terrible thing sin is.

Say there were some poison you could put in a plant that would cause the plant to die as soon as it were exposed to sunlight. It can survive for awhile without the sunlight, but eventually it needs sunlight because that's how it was created. When exposed to the sunlight, it dies. You are wanting to blame the sunlight for its death instead of the poison. The poison is responsible for the death of the plant, not the sunlight! Similarly the poison of sin is responsible for the death of the sinner, not the sunlight of God's marvelous character.

2. "This isn't a question I can answer in a sentence or two." From what you've already posted about it, I hear you saying the glory of God reacting with the sin in sinners, in the lake of fire, causes sinners to burn up and turn into ashes with their sins. Before the final judgment, God destroys sinners by withdrawing His protection, by allowing evil angels to decide how to appropriately and justly destroy them.

Does "before the final judgment" mean during this life? The post I have in mind is one where I discussed the final judgment being like a job interview.

3."If God didn't do anything, and people died as soon as they sin, which they would if He didn't do anything, no one could be saved." If sin causes sinners to die, why does God need to expose them to His unveiled glory, in the lake of fire, in order to destroy them? Why not simply allow sin to do it?

Read the above analogy regarding sunlight and the plant, please, as an answer to your questions here.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92225
10/15/07 04:05 AM
10/15/07 04:05 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you have adequately addressed my questions. Thank you. I have nothing further to add or ask.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92228
10/15/07 02:34 PM
10/15/07 02:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok. Let me ask you, if you don't mind, how do you see God's responsibility in this? ("this" being the existence of evil) Do you see it differently than what I laid out?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92229
10/15/07 03:20 PM
10/15/07 03:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I believe God takes responsibility for the great controversy. Not in the sense that He caused it to happen or wanted it to happen, but in the sense He created the FMAs which He knew in advance would rebel and require the plan of salvation to resolve.

I realize you do not agree with this way of looking at it. I do not blame God for the great controversy, for the existence of evil. On the contrary, I wouldn't be here if God hadn't taken on the responsibility of managing the great controversy.

God could have chosen not to create FMAs. He could have chosen not to implement the plan of salvation. Instead, because God is loving, He chose create FMAs and to save those who embrace Jesus, and to punish and destroy those who reject Jesus.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92236
10/15/07 10:24 PM
10/15/07 10:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thanks for your answer, MM. It makes sense, given your presumptions.

If you take the position that God started into motion a course of events with an inevitable outcome then that surely makes God responsible for the outcome. I don't see how you could get around the fact that this would make God to blame for evil. It's also hard to see in what way it is loving for God to bring sin into existence, by starting this course. Wouldn't it be more loving to not do this?

Why not simply create a Lucifer who wouldn't choose to sin, or an Adam and Eve that wouldn't choose to sin? Before the fact, neither Lucifer nor Adam and Eve had any more right to exist than anyone else God could have thought to create. God surely could have thought of an archangel who wouldn't sin, or human being who wouldn't. Why would God choose to create beings that would sin over beings who wouldn't?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92249
10/16/07 03:46 PM
10/16/07 03:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Even if we assume the idea is true that God foresaw, before He created FMAs, all of the possible outcomes - it still begs the questions you raised above. The idea that God had no idea which outcome, good or bad, would play out and yet chose to create FMAs anyhow is reckless at best. That's why I believe it is better to believe God knew in advance exactly how things would play out and made provision to deal with it. It means the advantages out weighed the disadvantages, that He loves us too much to have not created us.

Here is how Sister White describes why God chose to create FMAs even though He knew in advance certain angels and humans would rebel and die in the lake of fire:

Quote:
The purpose and plan of grace existed from all eternity. Before the foundation of the world it was according to the determinate counsel of God that man should be created and endowed with power to do the divine will. The fall of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent. Redemption was not an afterthought, a plan formulated after the fall of Adam, but an eternal purpose, suffered to be wrought out for the blessing not only of this atom of a world, but for the good of all the worlds that God had created. {ST, December 15, 1914 par. 3}

Before Him who rules in the heavens, the mysteries of the past and the future are alike outspread; and God sees, beyond the woe and darkness and ruin that sin has wrought, the outworking of His purpose of love and blessing. Though clouds and darkness are round about Him, yet righteousness and judgment are the foundation of His throne. {ST, December 15, 1914 par. 4}

The purpose and plan of grace existed from all eternity. Before the foundation of the world it was according to the determinate counsel of God that man should be created, endowed with power to do the divine will. But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter him from carrying out his eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish his throne in righteousness. God knows the end from the beginning; "known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world." Therefore redemption was not an afterthought--a plan formulated after the fall of Adam--but an eternal purpose to be wrought out for the blessing not only of this atom of a world but for the good of all the worlds which God has created. {ST, April 25, 1892 par. 1}

The creation of the worlds, the mystery of the gospel, are for one purpose, to make manifest to all created intelligences, through nature and through Christ, the glories of the divine character. By the marvelous display of his love in giving "his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life," the glory of God is revealed to lost humanity and to the intelligences of other worlds. The Lord of heaven and earth revealed his glory to Moses, when he offered his prayer to Jehovah in behalf of idolatrous Israel, and pleaded, "Show me thy glory." And the Lord said: "I will make all my goodness to pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. . . . And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock." "And the Lord descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the Lord. And the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty." Moses was hidden in the cleft of the rock when the glory of the Lord was revealed to him, and it is when we are hidden in Christ that we obtain some view of the majesty and love of God. {ST, April 25, 1892 par. 2}

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92254
10/16/07 06:29 PM
10/16/07 06:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The idea that God had no idea which outcome

God did have an idea of how things would play out; He expected His creatures not to sin, as all of the millions of worlds chose not to do, except for one.

Quote:
good or bad, would play out and yet chose to create FMAs anyhow is reckless at best.

It's a million times better than the alternative you are suggesting!

Let's consider an example. Let's say you have a certain gene for some terrible disease, but don't know if your spouse has it. If she has it, then your child will get the disease. Let's say she has a 1 in a billion chance of having the gene. You decide to have the child, even though you know there's a 1 in a billion chance it will inherit this terrible disease.

Now let's say you know for sure that your wife has the disease gene, so that if you have a child it's 100% certain that your child will get the terrible disease. What you are suggesting is analogous to preferring the scenario where your child has a 1 in a billion chance of getting the disease to be certain to get it!

What you call "reckless" is a one in a billion chance, vs. what you prefer, which is something certain to be horrific.

Quote:
That's why I believe it is better to believe God knew in advance exactly how things would play out and made provision to deal with it. It means the advantages out weighed the disadvantages, that He loves us too much to have not created us.

He couldn't have loved us, because we didn't exist.

If you couch things in terms of risk, then God's choice makes sense. If you have a scenario where God created man, setting in motion a scenario where man was sure to sin, you have a scenario where God comes out looking very bad. He does something unspeakable awful in order to show that He loves us. It would be like you beating up your kid to the point of death, so the child needs to be on life-support, and then touting how good you are because you sacrifice to keep your child alive.

Regarding the SOP quotes, I think you are interpreting them incorrectly. Please consider, for example, the following quote:

Quote:
God's healing power runs all through nature. If a tree is cut, if a human being is wounded or breaks a bone, nature begins at once to repair the injury. Even before the need exists, the healing agencies are in readiness; and as soon as a part is wounded, every energy is bent to the work of restoration. So it is in the spiritual realm. Before sin created the need, God had provided the remedy. Every soul that yields to temptation is wounded, bruised, by the adversary; but whenever there is sin, there is the Saviour. It is Christ's work "to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, . . . to set at liberty them that are bruised." Luke 4:18. {Ed 113.1}

This brings out the proper way of looking at things. Just as our bodies are able to heal, should the need arise, so the plan of redemption was able to heal, should the need arise. The remedy is provided, ready to be applied if needed, before it is needed. That's the point. Not that God started in motion a chain of circumstances that would inevitably lead to sin. That portrays God very negatively, and doesn't harmonize with the idea that God is innocent regarding the existence of evil.

It also logically negates that we have free will, under the definition of free will as being able to do A or B. Under the scenario you are suggesting, we would only be able to do A (if that's what God knew would happen). Now it's true that God's knowing A will happen doesn't cause us to do A in the sense that we are forced to do something against our will, but logically it is not possible for us to do something different than what is certain to happen. If God knows we will do A, we will do A. We may not know this, but God does. But the fact that we don't know we will do A does not give us free will! It does not give us the ability to do B. We may have the ability to do B in the sense of physical capacity, but from the standpoint of logic, it is not possible for us to do B, because we cannot do something different than that which is certain to happen.

So these are two problems I see in the scenario you are suggesting, the first one having to do with portraying God's character in a negative way, and the second having to do with a problem of logic. A third problem I see is that it contradicts statements from the Spirit of Prophecy and Scripture. For example, there are statements from the SOP which speak of the risk that God took in sending Christ to redeem us. She uses the phrase "at the risk of failure and eternal loss." Obviously if God knew Christ would not fail, He didn't take any risk. Similarly she writes elsewhere that all heaven was imperiled for our redemption. If God was certain that heaven was not under in danger, obviously it wasn't imperiled for our redemption. So there are contradictions here as well.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92264
10/17/07 02:46 PM
10/17/07 02:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: God did have an idea of how things would play out; He expected His creatures not to sin, as all of the millions of worlds chose not to do, except for one.

There's a 1 in a billion chance.

MM: "He expected" and "chance" implies He didn't know. Did God know? What do you believe?

TE: What you call "reckless" is a one in a billion chance, vs. what you prefer, which is something certain to be horrific.

MM: Jesus knew for certain, before His incarnation, that He would drink the cup of trembling - a horrific death. Knowing this He chose to go through with it. There was nothing reckless about it. Not knowing (an uncertainty) would have been reckless.

TE: He couldn't have loved us, because we didn't exist.

MM: I disagree.

TE: Regarding the SOP quotes, I think you are interpreting them incorrectly.

MM: I disagree. The following is too clearly worded to misunderstand or require interpretation: "But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter him from carrying out his eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish his throne in righteousness." (quoted above)

TE: Not that God started in motion a chain of circumstances that would inevitably lead to sin.

MM: God created FMAs in spite of the fact He knew in advance exactly which ones would choose to sin. Knowing this ahead of time "did not deter him from carrying out his eternal purpose". Why? "For the Lord would establish his throne in righteousness."

TE: If God knows we will do A, we will do A.

MM: Amen! It is easy to love a God who knows the end from the beginning. I trust Him implicitly.

TE: ... we cannot do something different than that which is certain to happen.

MM: Cannot? I prefer will not.

TE: She uses the phrase "at the risk of failure and eternal loss."

MM: Can you support this idea from Scripture? If not, is it possible you are misapplying it? Does it really mean God didn't know in advance if Jesus would fail or succeed on the cross? Please support it from the Bible.

Page 17 of 42 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 41 42

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!