HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 42 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 41 42
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92315
10/20/07 07:55 PM
10/20/07 07:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
God created all intelligent life with the possibility that the created entity might disobey.

Agree.

Quote:
His foreknowledge that one particular one would make that choice reinforces in my mind the idea that God is love and that he forces no one to serve or love or obey him. God only accepts 'free will' offerings that come from the heart.

I'm not following this. Sin doesn't add anything. It doesn't make God any more loving than He already was. Wouldn't the loving thing to do be to not bring sin into the world?

Also, God was in no way constrained to create Lucifer. He could have just as easily created a different covering cherub. What reason could there be to prefer Lucifer? Because God though of him first?

Imagine God thinking: "I need a covering cherub. Who shall I create? Ah, Lucifer. But there's a problem. Lucifer will sin. Oh, well. Too bad. I'll create Him anyway, to show I'm love."

I don't see how this can be construed in a way that makes sense. One is forced, logically, to come to the conclusion that God wanted sin to exist. How does one get around this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92317
10/20/07 09:10 PM
10/20/07 09:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: I think that love involves risk. To create beings that could love, one must create beings with free will, since love involves free will.

MM: Risk? It would have been a risk if God didn't know in advance which FMAs would choose to sin. But if God did know, then there was no risk involved, right?

TE: Free will involves the possibility of rejection. So God created beings knowing it was possible that they would reject Him.

MM: If God foresaw all the possible outcomes, including FMAs sinning and rebelling against Him, why did He create them? Why didn't it "deter" (ibid) Him from creating them?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92318
10/20/07 09:24 PM
10/20/07 09:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Also, God was in no way constrained to create Lucifer. He could have just as easily created a different covering cherub.

MM: But according to the idea you are espousing, God would have had no way of knowing if creating a different covering cherub would have yielded different results. So, based on this logic, no matter what, God was running the risk of creating FMAs who might end up sinning and dying.

How is God not knowing and running a risk better than what I believe?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92323
10/21/07 12:54 AM
10/21/07 12:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM: But according to the idea you are espousing, God would have had no way of knowing if creating a different covering cherub would have yielded different results. So, based on this logic, no matter what, God was running the risk of creating FMAs who might end up sinning and dying.

How is God not knowing and running a risk better than what I believe?

Say you have a rare gene, that could cause a child of yours to be born with a bad disease. The chances of this happening are 1 in a billion, if you don't know if your partner has the same gene. If she does have it, your child will certainly get the bad disease.

What you believe is analogous to your choosing to have a child knowing that in so doing you are dooming your child to suffering with this terrible disease. What I believe is analogous to choosing to have a child when there is a 1 in a billion chance of it leading to its having the disease.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92332
10/21/07 06:40 PM
10/21/07 06:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I see no problem with either scenario. Choosing to have a child knowing it will have a terrible disease is fine. Why? Because the child will eventually be translated or resurrected without disease and enjoy eternity in heaven.

Having children is a big risk no matter what, right? You have no idea of knowing in advance how they will turn out? They might end up sick or healthy, good or bad, saved or lost.

How is the idea you are advocating (God did not know in advance who would sin) any better than the one I am advocating (God did know in advance who woould sin)?

Why did Sister White say knowing in advance who would sin did not "deter" God from creating them? She didn't say the "possible defection", she plainly says "the defection".

"But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness."

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92337
10/22/07 04:02 AM
10/22/07 04:02 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I see no problem with either scenario. Choosing to have a child knowing it will have a terrible disease is fine. Why? Because the child will eventually be translated or resurrected without disease and enjoy eternity in heaven.

I used this as an analogy to explain to you why a scenario where there is a 1 in a billion chance of something bad happening is better than a certainty that a bad thing will happen. Your very odd point here that it is OK to have a child with a terrible disease is completely irrelevant, which should be obvious. Use your own analogy. The simple point is that a scenario where a bad thing happens one in a billion times is better than a scenario where it happens 1 in 1 time.

Quote:
Having children is a big risk no matter what, right? You have no idea of knowing in advance how they will turn out? They might end up sick or healthy, good or bad, saved or lost.

How is the idea you are advocating (God did not know in advance who would sin) any better than the one I am advocating (God did know in advance who woould sin)?

Because having a bad thing happen 1 in a billion times is better than having it happen 1 in 1 times.

Quote:
Why did Sister White say knowing in advance who would sin did not "deter" God from creating them? She didn't say the "possible defection", she plainly says "the defection".

"But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness."

"Possible" is implied. It comes from comparing all the things she wrote, not just honing in on one text. Similar to GC 614, to understand things correctly, we need to look at more than just one text.

In the Education text I have quoted several times, she talks about how plan of redemption is like the ability of an organism being able to heal itself before the need for the healing exists. This implies that the creation of man had a remedy in place should the need arise.

If you take the position that the need was certain, and not possible, then you run into several problems.

For example, Scripture tells us that God repented that He had made man. Why would He have repented, if it was a certainty that man would act the way he did?

Ellen White also speaks of the risk that God took in creating man, which is incompatible with the idea of certainty that you are suggesting.

In addition to this, there are philosophical problems with this position. Specifically it would make God, and not Satan or man, responsible for sin. You seem to recognize this, at least implicitly, because you have written that God is the "author of sin."

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92343
10/22/07 03:06 PM
10/22/07 03:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: The simple point is that a scenario where a bad thing happens one in a billion times is better than a scenario where it happens 1 in 1 time.

MM: Better? In what way?

TE: "Possible" is implied.

MM: I disagree. The concept may be implied elsewhere, but in this particular passage. Right?

TE: For example, Scripture tells us that God repented that He had made man. Why would He have repented, if it was a certainty that man would act the way he did?

MM: Why does God sometimes ask questions to which He knows the answers? The fact God said it "repented Him" in no way implies He had no idea man would choose to sin.

TE: Ellen White also speaks of the risk that God took in creating man, which is incompatible with the idea of certainty that you are suggesting.

MM: Where? What risk?

TE: In addition to this, there are philosophical problems with this position. Specifically it would make God, and not Satan or man, responsible for sin. You seem to recognize this, at least implicitly, because you have written that God is the "author of sin."

MM: Tom, what do you think I mean when I say - God is the author of sin? Please explain. Thank you.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92345
10/22/07 05:51 PM
10/22/07 05:51 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
For example, Scripture tells us that God repented that He had made man. Why would He have repented, if it was a certainty that man would act the way he did?

It is certain that He had not "repented" because He had changed His mind, regretting His decision to create man.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92374
10/25/07 03:01 PM
10/25/07 03:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: The simple point is that a scenario where a bad thing happens one in a billion times is better than a scenario where it happens 1 in 1 time.

MM: Better? In what way?

TE: "Possible" is implied.

MM: I disagree. The concept may be implied elsewhere, but not in this particular passage. Right?

TE: For example, Scripture tells us that God repented that He had made man. Why would He have repented, if it was a certainty that man would act the way he did?

MM: Why does God sometimes ask questions to which He knows the answers? He often says things that are hard to understand. The fact God said it "repenteth me" in no way implies He had no idea man would choose to sin.

TE: Ellen White also speaks of the risk that God took in creating man, which is incompatible with the idea of certainty that you are suggesting.

MM: Where does she say it? What risk? Why was it a risk?

TE: In addition to this, there are philosophical problems with this position. Specifically it would make God, and not Satan or man, responsible for sin. You seem to recognize this, at least implicitly, because you have written that God is the "author of sin."

MM: Tom, what do you think I mean when I say - God is the author of sin? Please explain. Thank you.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92375
10/25/07 05:41 PM
10/25/07 05:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm not sure what you're saying, Rosangela, but that's just one example among many in Scripture which provides evidence that the future is not a single-threaded thing.

Here's another example:

Quote:
If they will not believe you or heed the first sign, they may believe the second sign. (Exodus 4:8)

Scripture in general presents God as one who is impacted by the things that happen, not as One who reacts like nothing that happens was unexpected. For example, God reacts with genuine emotion all over the place. It's difficult to see the sense of this from the perspective that God has seen everything that will happen for all eternity like a T.V. rerun.

An EGW vision comes to mind with the same difficulty, where Jesus went to the Father three times to convince the Father to allow Him to come to earth as our sacrifice. This is really hard to understand from the re-run perspective. First of all, there is the problem of why Jesus was so anxious to come but God so reticent. Secondly, what sense would it make that Jesus would go to the Father three times? It would have to be just some sort of show if God had known for all eternity exactly what was going to happen and what He would do. He would have known that Jesus would come to Him three times, and that on the third time He would agree. Why wouldn't two times have been enough, given He knew He was going to agree? Or one? Or, better yet, zero; why not just announce the plan?

Page 19 of 42 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 41 42

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!