HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 42 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 41 42
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92269
10/17/07 05:53 PM
10/17/07 05:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: God did have an idea of how things would play out; He expected His creatures not to sin, as all of the millions of worlds chose not to do, except for one.

There's a 1 in a billion chance.

MM: "He expected" and "chance" implies He didn't know. Did God know? What do you believe?

He knew there was a small chance that sin could arise.

TE: What you call "reckless" is a one in a billion chance, vs. what you prefer, which is something certain to be horrific.

MM: Jesus knew for certain, before His incarnation, that He would drink the cup of trembling - a horrific death. Knowing this He chose to go through with it. There was nothing reckless about it. Not knowing (an uncertainty) would have been reckless.

This has nothing to do with our discussion.

TE: He couldn't have loved us, because we didn't exist.

MM: I disagree.

You can love the idea of a person before (s)he exists, but not the actual person.

TE: Regarding the SOP quotes, I think you are interpreting them incorrectly.

MM: I disagree.

That's surprising. You disagree that you are interpreting the SOP quotes incorrectly?

The following is too clearly worded to misunderstand or require interpretation: "But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter him from carrying out his eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish his throne in righteousness." (quoted above)

This can easily be interpreted as God's foreseeing the possibility of the fall, as opposed to the certainty to it. By the way, can you support this idea from Scripture?

TE: Not that God started in motion a chain of circumstances that would inevitably lead to sin.

MM: God created FMAs in spite of the fact He knew in advance exactly which ones would choose to sin. Knowing this ahead of time "did not deter him from carrying out his eternal purpose". Why? "For the Lord would establish his throne in righteousness."

If God set into motion a course of events that could only have one outcome, then He is responsible for that outcome. This would be far from establishing His throne in righteousness. It would be introducing sin to the universe, which is hardly the same thing.

TE: If God knows we will do A, we will do A.

MM: Amen! It is easy to love a God who knows the end from the beginning. I trust Him implicitly.

TE: ... we cannot do something different than that which is certain to happen.

MM: Cannot? I prefer will not.

"Will not" doesn't make the point clear. The point is that it is not possible for us to do something different than what the future holds, which negates free will.

TE: She uses the phrase "at the risk of failure and eternal loss."

MM: Can you support this idea from Scripture?

The Open View can be supported from Scripture. This is just an application of the same theme from the Spirit of Prophecy. Which statement she which endorses the Open View doesn't really matter. The important point is that her thinking her is in harmony with the Open View, of which there is ample Scriptural support.

If not, is it possible you are misapplying it?

If there were no evidence for the Open View in Scripture, but only in her writings, I would agree with this.

Does it really mean God didn't know in advance if Jesus would fail or succeed on the cross? Please support it from the Bible.

Again, this is just one aspect of the Open View. It is sufficient to establish the Open View from Scripture.

I've answered your questions and points here, but you've not realy come to grips with the vital issues, it seems to me, so I'll reiterate them here.

First of all, if God knew that Lucifer, or Adam and Eve, would sin (not could, but it was a certainty), then God becomes culpable for the existence of sin. After all, God could just as easily have chosen to create a different archangel, or different first humans, who wouldn't sin. This says unplesant things about God's character.

Secondly, the fact that before we make a decision regarding a future act that we will perform, it is certain what we will do means that we are not the ones who determine the future act that we will perform. That is, if the end is determined before we have any input, we have not determined that end. That may be difficult to understand. I'll try stating it in a different way.

If we assume that you cannot do something other than that which is certain to happen, and it is certain to happen that tomorrow you will eat pizza, it follows that you cannot do something other than eat pizza. Not simply "will not," but cannot not. One could argue that had it been the case that you would eat something else, then that would have been certain, but this is confusing cause and effect. If the outcome of a decision we will make is certain before we make the decision, then the outcome is not dependent upon our decision.

There, that was clear! I'll repeat it:

If the outcome of a decision we will make is certain before we make the decision, then the outcome is not dependent upon our decision.

Well, although this is clear, it's not completely accurate. "Outcome of a decision" is a bit misleading, since it implies that what will happen depends upon our decision. It should really read, "If an event which appears to be the outcome of a decision we make is certain before we make the decision, then that event was not, in actuality, dependent upon our decision." This logic could be applied to any event. The logical conclusion is that no events are dependent upon our decisions.

What this means is that we do not really have free will, only the appearance of such. Free will would necessitate the ability to either eat or not eat pizza. But if it is certain we will not eat pizza, clearly it is not possible that we won't. Please note that this lack of ability is based on logic, not some physical reason.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92281
10/19/07 03:12 AM
10/19/07 03:12 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Deja vu, eh? It's been good. Thanx.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92285
10/19/07 05:06 PM
10/19/07 05:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Deja vu, eh?

I knew you were going to say that.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92286
10/19/07 05:11 PM
10/19/07 05:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: I knew you were going to say that.

MM: Does that mean I didn't have a choice? Ha! Just kidding. What else is there to discuss?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92290
10/19/07 06:28 PM
10/19/07 06:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If you wish, you could address the following question. Given that God knew Lucifer would sin (not could, but would), why didn't God create a different being, like another Gabriel, who wouldn't sin?

This is the biggest weakness I see in the position you advocate. That is, I see no answer to this question which doesn't, by implication, make God's character to be unattractive. To say that God did so to establish His thrown in righteous is simply sidestepping the issue, which is that God, under your perspective, could have simply chosen to do things a little differently --i.e., not create Lucifer -- and the universe would never have known sin, but instead, He opted for a universe with sin. Hard to see how God looks good in this scenario.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92293
10/19/07 10:39 PM
10/19/07 10:39 PM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Hello. I hope you don't mind if I add a comment or two in passing. I've got so much going on now in my life that I won't be able to read your relpies so you'll want to direct your replies to the readers rather than me.

God created all intelligent life with the possibility that the created entity might disobey. His forknowledge that one particular one would make that choice re-inforces in my mind the idea that God is love and that he forces no one to serve or love or obey him. God only accepts 'free will' offerings that come from the heart.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Charity] #92294
10/19/07 10:52 PM
10/19/07 10:52 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Also, God doesn't either create or not create a created being with free will based on the choices that created being would make, and did make in the case of Lucifer.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92306
10/20/07 02:42 AM
10/20/07 02:42 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
If you wish, you could address the following question. Given that God knew Lucifer would sin (not could, but would), why didn't God create a different being, like another Gabriel, who wouldn't sin?

This is the biggest weakness I see in the position you advocate. That is, I see no answer to this question which doesn't, by implication, make God's character to be unattractive. To say that God did so to establish His thrown in righteous is simply sidestepping the issue, which is that God, under your perspective, could have simply chosen to do things a little differently --i.e., not create Lucifer -- and the universe would never have known sin, but instead, He opted for a universe with sin. Hard to see how God looks good in this scenario.

TE: ... why didn't God create a different being...

MM: You believe God foresees all options, all possible outcomes, right? That He doesn't know in advance exactly how each FMA will behave in the future, right? So, do you think God foresaw all FMAs sinning and not sinning? Or, did He only see the ones sinning and not sinning that did end up sinning, and all the other ones He only foresaw not sinning?

If God only foresaw the ones sinning and not sinning that did end up sinning, why, then, did He go ahead and create them? If He didn't know in advance which way it would play out in the future, why, then, wouldn't He go ahead and create them? He could hope they wouldn't end up sinning, right?

If God foresaw the possibility of all FMAs sinning and not sinning, why, then, wouldn't God go ahead create them? He could hope they wouldn't end up sinning, right?

However, if God foresaw the possibility of all FMAs sinning and not sinning, and not just the ones that did, why would He run the risk of creating any of them? It doesn't make God look good if He chose to create them if He wasn't certain they wouldn't sin, does it?

I happen to believe, based on the inspired statements, that God did indeed know in advance exactly which FMAs would sin and that He chose to create them anyhow. Why do I think He created them anyhow? Why didn't it "deter" Him from creating them? The inspired answer is simple - "for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness."

"But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness." (Ibid)

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92313
10/20/07 07:45 PM
10/20/07 07:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Also, God doesn't either create or not create a created being with free will based on the choices that created being would make, and did make in the case of Lucifer.

Why not? Wouldn't it have been better for God to have created another Gabriel instead of Lucifer, and avoided all the pain and suffering that results from sin?

When God thought about creating the covering cherub, surely he was limited in thinking of only one possibility, was He? That is, there were a billion possible covering cherubs He could have created. Why choose one that He knew would sin as opposed to one who wouldn't? It's not like God could only think of creating Lucifer, is it?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92314
10/20/07 07:48 PM
10/20/07 07:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I'm not sure what you're wanting to know, but I'll try to address your concerns by stating what I think took place.

I think that love involves risk. To create beings that could love, one must create beings with free will, since love involves free will. Free will involves the possibility of rejection. So God created beings knowing it was possible that they would reject Him.

Page 18 of 42 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 41 42

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!