HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily), 2,269 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 30 of 42 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 41 42
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92676
11/09/07 05:11 AM
11/09/07 05:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: Surely a perfect God should be able to create an FMA that wasn't certain to rebel.

MM: So why didn't He?

TE: So, to answer your question, I don't think so.

MM: And yet you believe He was willing to risk it since He thought the chances of FMAs sinning were slight. This doesn't make sense to me, Tom. It seems reckless and haphazard.

There's nothing reckless or haphazard about anything here. It's the nature of free will that a perfectly created being may choose to use that free will in a contrary manner. The risk is inherent in free will.

If you have a child, are you being haphazard or reckless? There's a chance the child may use his/her free will contrary to what you would wish.

The fact that God is omniscient doesn't change the nature of free will.

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying this point. I never suspected you were so flexible or tentative. You sound very convinced that God did not know in advance FMAs would certainly rebel.

I wouldn't say tentative. The particular subject we are discussing on foreknowledge is something I've thought about for about 30 years. However I do try to be flexible. I've been wrong in the past about things I was just certain I was right about, so I've learned to be a lot more careful about being dogmatic.

Me too. About the only things I am certain about are the 28 fundamental beliefs. However, I'm still not sure now if you are convinced God does not know in advance precisely which way the future will play out. Please clarify.

Because the future consists not of one thing, but of the sum of all possible ways events can happen, this is what God sees. The future is the sum of all these things. It's not a single line, comprised of what will actually happen. If you know something about quantum mechanics, that might help to conceptualize it.

Quote:
Actually, I do not think my view is right because I think it is better in comparison to your view. I think it is right because I believe Inspiration teaches it. I suspect you feel the same way about your view. It's just that I thought you were comparing our two views and concluding yours is better than mine and therefore right.

No, my is right, and therefore better than yours. \:\)

You can't even spell "mine" right, so how can yours be better than my? Oops! Ha!

I noticed that, but didn't think it was worth editing, as some time had passed. Nothing gets by you, huh? \:\)

Quote:
According to you, God was unsure what His creation would do, but decided to risk it anyhow, hoping things wouldn't go awry or worse. How is this any different than Dr. Frankenstein, who was unsure what his creation would do, but decided to risk it anyhow, hoping things wouldn't go awry or worse? Please explain this to me. Thank you.

Frankenstein? Can't you come up with a more apt analogy? I don't feel comfortable addressing a question that has its premise comparing God to Frankenstein.

Yeah, that does sound bad, doesn't it? Okay, try this one:

According to you, God was unsure what His creation would do, but decided to risk it anyhow, hoping things wouldn't go awry or worse. How is this any different than a medical scientist, who is unsure what his creation will do, but decides to risk it anyhow, hoping things won't go awry or worse, but in the end it turns out terribly bad? Please explain this to me. Thank you.

The medical scientist isn't creating a being with free will, is he? That's beside the fact, anyway.

God could be sure what creation would do without being sure of what each individual will do. I don't know if this point has anything to do with what you're wanting to get at though. Are you aware of this fact, and does it make sense to you? If not, we can discuss it.

Ok, I think we're back to the fact that free will is what it is. A being with free will may choose to use that free will to act contrary to God's wishes. There's really nothing God could do about that, given He chose to create beings with free will.

Quote:
Regarding what makes my view "right," as you put it, is the force of logic and what we know about God's character. I have been arguing along these lines throughout the entirety of our discussion on this issue. I point out the logical inconsistencies I see to your view, and the logical consistencies I see in mine, and how the respective views represent God's character, as I see things.

From my perspective, the future is the sum of all possible things which can happen. The possibility of rejection is inherent to free will. To depict a Being as reckless or incompetent because He cannot see things in a way that does not reflect reality, does not seem reasonable to me. It's like asking if God can create a rock so big He can't lift it, and given the answer "no," then indicting God for a lack of power.

I understand. Hopefully we can at least agree to disagree. And, hopefully, after all is said and done, we believe our respective view is supported in Scripture.

We really haven't gone in to the Scriptural evidence. That's something I'd like to do. I have some ideas, regarding a presentation of the Open View from Scripture, but it will take some time to put together.

Okay. I look forward to it.

I posted some things in one of the posts. Perhaps over the weekend I can post more.

I think Hellenistic philosophy has played a large role in what we consider to be Scriptural. The eternal soul is one example of that. The impassibility of God is another. We can get more into this later (although, if you're not familiar with this, you could check into some online articles about impassibility)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92677
11/09/07 05:19 AM
11/09/07 05:19 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Why didn't God pick someone else? Wasn't Lucifer's position part of the reason why he rebelled? That is, he felt God was treating him below his position. Perhaps he wouldn't have felt slighted if he wasn't in that position. His expectations would have been such that he wouldn't have been tempted to feel slighted.

This would have been true of anyone in Lucifer's position, unless God created Lucifer with some special propensity to fail. The point is that, from your perspective, God would have known straight off exactly what would happen if He created Lucifer. God, from your perspective, knew Lucifer would sin. God, from your perspective, would have known that some other creature in Lucifer's position would not have sinned. So it comes down to sin coming about because God chose Lucifer over someone else.

From my perspective, this issue doesn't exist. Lucifer was created perfect, and there was no reason for God to expect that he should sin, any more or less than any other creature God could have created instead of Lucifer.

Also, how would omitting the traits and qualities that led Lucifer to rebel reduce him to a mere automaton?

Because the trait/quanlity that led Lucifer to rebel was free will.

Couldn't God have created him like other angels who lacked the traits and qualities that lead to rebellion?

The other angels had free will also, so they had the same trait/quality that Lucifer had.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92685
11/09/07 11:02 PM
11/09/07 11:02 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
I follow the other if-then scenarios here, but not this one. I'm having difficulty seeing what bad thing was certain to happen if God had simply not created Lucifer and not said anything about it.

The situation would be bad for God – concealing something would simply be against His transparent nature.
Besides, not allowing free will would also be against God’s nature. Free will means the power to choose for or against something. God created His creatures with the choice to remain loyal to Him, or to rebel against Him. But if God refrained from creating a being because he would rebel, He could not tell His creatures that they had free will. This would simply be hypocritical on God’s part, even if nobody ever came to know about the being not created.

Quote:
Why would God, from my viewpoint, suspect that anybody would sin? What reason would there be for Him to suspect this?

Isn't He infinitely intelligent?

"God and Christ knew from the beginning of the apostasy of Satan and of the fall of Adam through the deceptive power of the apostate. The plan of salvation was designed to redeem the fallen race" (1 SM 250).

The text implies that God knew not only that Satan would fall, but also that he would cause the fall of man.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Rosangela] #92689
11/10/07 03:26 AM
11/10/07 03:26 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom:I follow the other if-then scenarios here, but not this one. I'm having difficulty seeing what bad thing was certain to happen if God had simply not created Lucifer and not said anything about it.

Rosangela:The situation would be bad for God – concealing something would simply be against His transparent nature.

1.Why would God be under any obligation to conceal something the revelation of which could only be bad?
2.Is God under obligation to reveal everything He thinks to His creatures? Is this necessary in order to be transparent?
3.Since we should be like God, assuming God is under obligation to reveal everything He is thinking, should we also reveal everything we are thinking? (tossing out any non-good thoughts, of course; of course we shouldn't reveal any bad thoughts).

Quote:
Besides, not allowing free will would also be against God’s nature.

How does God's choosing not to create a being He knows would sin not allow the free will of any of the creatures who actually exist? They would have gone on making choices and decisions as their will dictated just as they always had.

Quote:
Free will means the power to choose for or against something.

But a given choice doesn't have to be exercised for free will to exist. Thus free will can exist without the existence of sin. All that is necessary is the ability to sin, should one choose to do so. That is, there was no more free will in existence before sin existed than after.

Quote:
God created His creatures with the choice to remain loyal to Him, or to rebel against Him. But if God refrained from creating a being because he would rebel, He could not tell His creatures that they had free will.

Why not? And why would God have to tell them anyway? Wouldn't creatures know they have free will simply by making choices?

It seems to me the inference from your argument here is that without sin there is no free will.

Quote:
This would simply be hypocritical on God’s part, even if nobody ever came to know about the being not created.

What would be hypocritical? God's telling creatures that they had free will? So until God created a being that would rebel, none of the other creatures could be told they had free will?

Quote:

Quote:
Why would God, from my viewpoint, suspect that anybody would sin? What reason would there be for Him to suspect this?

Isn't He infinitely intelligent?

Certainly. But what does intelligence have to do with suspecting someone with free will would sin? What reason would they have to sin? Would God somehow be less intelligent for not suspecting something that had no reason to be suspected?

To address your question in a way where I'm not simply asking questions back to you, from my perspective God created beings with free will. God foresees everything any being can possibly do, being omniscient. However, which of the possible freedoms His creatures will choose, is up to the creature, and cannot be known by God as settled, or decided, until the creature actually makes the decision that causes the possibility to become a reality.

So although God foresaw the possibility that any of His creatures with free will could sin, He had no reason to suspect any of them. Why would He? They were created perfect.

Sin is mysterious, irrational. There would be no reason for God to suspect a being to act irrationally.

Quote:

"God and Christ knew from the beginning of the apostasy of Satan and of the fall of Adam through the deceptive power of the apostate. The plan of salvation was designed to redeem the fallen race" (1 SM 250).

The text implies that God knew not only that Satan would fall, but also that he would cause the fall of man.

Only if one interprets "of the apostasy" to mean "of the apostasy certain to occur" as opposed to "of the apostasy that could occur." If one takes into account other things that EGW wrote regarding the fall, and sin in general, it becomes clear that she did not regard sin as inevitable, which the interpretation you are suggesting would imply.

For example, in Education she speaks of the plan of salvation as being a remedy for sin akin to the power our bodies have to heal themselves should the need arise, the point being that before the need arose, the remedy already was available.

Consider, for example, the well known scene in Early Writings where heaven reacts after man sinned. If one takes the viewpoint that the fact that man would sin at that precise moment was settled in the mind of God from all eternity, then the meeting of Christ with the Father becomes nonsensical.

Jesus went into the Father's presence 3 times to plead to be allowed to come to earth to live and die in our behalf. EGW tells us an angel told her it was a "struggle" for God to allow Jesus to come. What sense does it make for her to speak of God having a struggle. How can God struggle with a decision? Does He consider making the decision, consider not making it, then consider some more making it, and so forth, until He finally decides? But if He has known for all eternity exactly what He would do, what sense would it make for Him to be struggling with a decision?

Not only this, but if the future is exhaustively settled in God's mind from all eternity, then God foresaw exactly what He would do. He foresaw His own struggle! He foresaw He would struggle with the decision, ponder one way, ponder the other, and then finally decide to allow Jesus to come. Does that really make sense?

And why would Jesus have to go into the Father's presence 3 times? Given that God knew exactly what He was going to do, why go in even once? Why have a meeting? Wouldn't that just be a pretense? What could there be to discuss, since the decision had already been made?

Both Scripture and the Spirit of Prophecy present God as considering alternatives, regretting decisions He made, being open to act in a different way then He has declared He would, struggling with a decision, and many other things which reveal that the future is not something exhaustively settled in God's mind.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92691
11/10/07 03:46 AM
11/10/07 03:46 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, I realize my post was very long, with many questions. I have no problem at all with your choosing which points and questions you want to respond to, and not necessarily addressing all of them. However, I am particularly interested in your response to the following portion of a previous post:

Ros:If God went ahead and created him, He could deal with his sin by either letting him reap immediately its full results, and thus creating doubts in the minds of the other creatures, or by letting him live to demonstrate his true character, and thus bringing suffering to other creatures. Again, both alternatives were negative.

So, yes, as I see it, all the solutions to the sin problem were negative – even the alternative of not creating the being who would originate sin.

Tom:In the scenario where God does not create the being who would originate sin, how is there a sin problem? How could there be a sin problem if no being existed to originate it?

Your statement was that all the solutions to the sin problem were negative. My question is how there was a sin problem without the being existing who originated sin?

Ros:But this does not mean at all that there was something inherently flawed in the process of creation – unless we believe free will is flawed.

Tom:Given that God chose to create beings with free will, can you postulate a scenario which would not have been certain to be negative? If not, how can it possibly not mean that there is something inherently flawed in the process of creation, if every single possibility leads to a negative result?

I'm curious as to your response to this as well.

Thanks!

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92696
11/11/07 12:11 AM
11/11/07 12:11 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
1.Why would God be under any obligation to conceal something the revelation of which could only be bad?

I think you mean “reveal” instead of “conceal”.
God is not under any obligation, but He simply doesn’t have anything to hide from His creatures – not even evil.
Much as He would like them to not choose it, evil was one of the possible options for God’s creatures. By eliminating the beings who would choose this option, God would be virtually eliminating the option. The talk about two options would be a pretense.
It’s like saying that people are free to vote either in a democrat or in a republican candidate, and then setting the electronic urn to compute the votes for the democrat candidate and not compute the votes for the republican candidate. People are indeed free to vote, but there is no honesty in the process.

Quote:
But if He has known for all eternity exactly what He would do, what sense would it make for Him to be struggling with a decision?

We have discussed this in the past. The answer I gave then I give now: making a decision and implementing it are two different things. You may have made a decision in the past, and then you struggle with it at the time of implementing it. I even cited Christ’s example. Hadn’t He made the decision to die for man in eternity? Didn’t He make it again when Adam sinned? Why then the struggle at Gethsemane?

Quote:
Your statement was that all the solutions to the sin problem were negative. My question is how there was a sin problem without the being existing who originated sin?

The problem to me, as explained above, begins with the fact that I don’t see how God can honestly allow free will and at the same time eliminate the possibility of one of the alternatives.

Quote:
Tom:Given that God chose to create beings with free will, can you postulate a scenario which would not have been certain to be negative?

If no creature had chosen to sin. Notice that I’m not saying “If God hadn’t prevented Satan from existing,” but “If Satan had not chosen to rebel.”

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Rosangela] #92697
11/11/07 12:45 AM
11/11/07 12:45 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: The holy angels and Jesus explained Lucifer's rebellion and intentions to deceive them [A&E]. The fact he is a liar is inherent in the explanation and warning.

TE: From "It Is Finished" – “Not until the death of Christ was the character of Satan clearly revealed to the angels or to the unfallen worlds. The archapostate had so clothed himself with deception that even holy beings had not understood his principles. They had not clearly seen the nature of his rebellion. {DA 758.3}

MM: By faith they believed he was a liar.

Quote:
MM: They [A&E] were choosing to believe God and not Satan.

TE: They chose to believe Satan and not God.

MM: I meant before they fell. In other words, they chose to believe what they were told about Satan and his rebellion.

TE: They didn't really have a choice to make until they had heard both sides of the story. When they were presented with the other side, Satan's side, they chose to believe Satan and not God.

MM: Satan did not explain his side of the story. He simply deceived Eve into believing eating the forbidden fruit would make her more like God. He said nothing about his rebellion in heaven.

Quote:
MM: Why wouldn't they continue to believe God if He had shown them a "movie" depicting how things would turn out if they chose to eat the forbidden fruit? The angels chose to believe it when Jesus explained it to them, right?

TE: The angels didn't believe until the cross, so, regarding the angels, no. They chose to follow God, but they still had doubts, at least some of them did, until the cross, when they became convinced as to Satan's character. That's DA "It Is Finished."[quote]
MM: Clearly the angels believed what Jesus told them about the cross as evidenced by the fact they offered to take His place. But my point is, a knowledge of the cross before the fall of man would not have seemed “nonsensical” to A&E as evidenced by the fact angels were able to grasp it. Both man and angels were aware of the same facts regarding the GC. Both were able to grasp the cross.

TE: Had God shown them a movie, it's possible Adam and Eve could have chosen to follow God out of fear for what would happen if they didn't, and God doesn't want that.

MM: When Jesus explained it (the grueling details of the cross) to the angels, did it cause them to serve God out of fear and doubt? If not, can we speculate it would have caused Adam and Eve to fear God?

TE: Yes, we can. The situation of angels was obviously different than the siuation of man. Had it been a good thing to do, God surely would have shown Adam and Eve a movie. I sure you agree with that. That means there is some reason why He didn't. You asked me what one might be, so I offered a suggestion. If you think you have a better suggestion, suggest it.

MM: Yes, I agree God did not show A&E a preview of the cross, like He did the angels, for a good reason. What that reason is I don’t know. But I’m fairly certain it wasn’t because He thought it would cause them to serve Him out of fear. It didn’t have that affect on the angels.

Quote:
MM: Could God have done something more to prevent Eve from being deceived into eating the forbidden fruit? I believe this question is worth pondering.

For example, why didn't God dispatch a holy angel to ask Eve, while she was dialoging with Satan, before she took a bite of the forbidden fruit - Might this be the fallen angel we warned you about? Wouldn't you like to ask Jesus about this before you take a bite?

Satan was claiming that he had an approach to things better than God's. I think he would have cried "foul!" if God took too zealous an approach in their conflict. Also God has a great respect for free will. He doesn't like to tamper with it, sometimes surprisingly so.

How would what I suggested above have been a breach of free will? Satan cries, "Foul play", all of the time. I doubt that would have prevented God from doing what I suggested.

TE: If Satan had had a legitimate complaint, it would have. Satan cries "foul play" all of the time without any justification. By saying Satan would cry "foul play," the implication is clearly that he would cry "foul play" with justification.

Why do you think God didn't act the way you are asking about?

MM: I don’t know why God didn’t send an angel as I described above. But I am fairly certain it wasn’t because Satan would have cried Foul play. I am certain, though, that it would not have interfered with their freedom to choose.

As a reminder, the reason I am raising these questions is because it has to do with God taking responsibility for the sin problem. I believe God foresaw the GC and chose to create FMAs anyhow. He has been actively involved from the very beginning in making sure the scroll of history unfolds in accordance with what is best for the universe. Nothing is left to chance or trial and error. His involvement, or lack thereof, at the forbidden tree when Eve was being deceived reflects God’s well thought out plan. He knew what He was doing. He orchestrated an acceptable outcome, though the fall of A&E seems to indicate otherwise.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92698
11/11/07 12:46 AM
11/11/07 12:46 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
TE: Surely a perfect God should be able to create an FMA that wasn't certain to rebel.

MM: So why didn't He?

TE: So, to answer your question, I don't think so.

MM: Do you think God is able to make FMAs, endowed with free will, who will never choose to sin? If so, then why didn’t do it in the beginning? If not, how, then, can you say God knows FMAs will never choose to sin again in the future (after GC is ended)?

Quote:
MM: And yet you believe He was willing to risk [creating FMAs] since He thought the chances of them sinning were slight. This doesn't make sense to me, Tom. It seems reckless and haphazard.

TE: There's nothing reckless or haphazard about anything here. It's the nature of free will that a perfectly created being may choose to use that free will in a contrary manner. The risk is inherent in free will. If you have a child, are you being haphazard or reckless? There's a chance the child may use his/her free will contrary to what you would wish. The fact that God is omniscient doesn't change the nature of free will.

MM: There is no “chance” a human child might act contrary to wishes. It is 100% certain to happen. Is it reckless to have children? No. Why not? Because the positives out weigh the negatives.

Yes, risk is inherent with free will. But it was also inherent with God’s decision to create FMAs since, according to your view, there was a slight chance they might rebel. Elsewhere you indicated God would not have chosen to create FMAs if He knew with certainty they would rebel.

With these things in mind, I find it difficult, in light of your view that God gambled on something He was betting wouldn’t happen. Since, according to your view, He was unwilling to do something that would result in rebellion, taking such an unnecessary risk seems a bad bet, especially in light of the fact His gamble proved hazardous.

Quote:
MM: Thank you for clarifying this point. I never suspected you were so flexible or tentative. You sound very convinced that God did not know in advance FMAs would certainly rebel.

TE: I wouldn't say tentative. The particular subject we are discussing on foreknowledge is something I've thought about for about 30 years. However I do try to be flexible. I've been wrong in the past about things I was just certain I was right about, so I've learned to be a lot more careful about being dogmatic.

MM: Me too. About the only things I am certain about are the 28 fundamental beliefs. However, I'm still not sure now if you are convinced God does not know in advance precisely which way the future will play out. Please clarify.

TE: Because the future consists not of one thing, but of the sum of all possible ways events can happen, this is what God sees. The future is the sum of all these things. It's not a single line, comprised of what will actually happen. If you know something about quantum mechanics, that might help to conceptualize it.

Awhile back, when you stated God knew which way the future would play out because of His active participation, I thought you meant God knew which way the future would play out. So, I’m still a bit unclear as to what you believe. Something about partly fixed and partly open. I duno.

Quote:
MM: According to you, God was unsure what His creation would do, but decided to risk it anyhow, hoping things wouldn't go awry or worse. How is this any different than Dr. Frankenstein, who was unsure what his creation would do, but decided to risk it anyhow, hoping things wouldn't go awry or worse? Please explain this to me. Thank you.

TE: Frankenstein? Can't you come up with a more apt analogy? I don't feel comfortable addressing a question that has its premise comparing God to Frankenstein.

MM: Yeah, that does sound bad, doesn't it? Okay, try this one:

According to you, God was unsure what His creation would do, but decided to risk it anyhow, hoping things wouldn't go awry or worse. How is this any different than a medical scientist, who is unsure what his creation will do, but decides to risk it anyhow, hoping things won't go awry or worse, but in the end it turns out terribly bad? Please explain this to me. Thank you.

TE: The medical scientist isn't creating a being with free will, is he? That's beside the fact, anyway.

God could be sure what creation would do without being sure of what each individual will do. I don't know if this point has anything to do with what you're wanting to get at though. Are you aware of this fact, and does it make sense to you? If not, we can discuss it.

Ok, I think we're back to the fact that free will is what it is. A being with free will may choose to use that free will to act contrary to God's wishes. There's really nothing God could do about that, given He chose to create beings with free will.

MM: The reason I compare your view to Dr. Frankenstein is because that’s what it reminds me of. The whole idea that God chose to create FMAs, knowing they might rebel, hoping they wouldn’t, but deciding to risk it anyhow – well, it reminds me of a horror show. I’m sorry. I realize that is offensive to you. But I don’t mean to be offensive.

“God could be sure what creation would do without being sure of what each individual will do.” Are you suggesting God knew “creation” would rebel, but that He didn’t know which creature would rebel?

Quote:
TE: Regarding what makes my view "right," as you put it, is the force of logic and what we know about God's character. I have been arguing along these lines throughout the entirety of our discussion on this issue. I point out the logical inconsistencies I see to your view, and the logical consistencies I see in mine, and how the respective views represent God's character, as I see things.

From my perspective, the future is the sum of all possible things which can happen. The possibility of rejection is inherent to free will. To depict a Being as reckless or incompetent because He cannot see things in a way that does not reflect reality, does not seem reasonable to me. It's like asking if God can create a rock so big He can't lift it, and given the answer "no," then indicting God for a lack of power.

MM: I understand. Hopefully we can at least agree to disagree. And, hopefully, after all is said and done, we believe our respective view is supported in Scripture.

TE: We really haven't gone in to the Scriptural evidence. That's something I'd like to do. I have some ideas, regarding a presentation of the Open View from Scripture, but it will take some time to put together.

MM: Okay. I look forward to it.

TE: I posted some things in one of the posts. Perhaps over the weekend I can post more.

I think Hellenistic philosophy has played a large role in what we consider to be Scriptural. The eternal soul is one example of that. The impassibility of God is another. We can get more into this later (although, if you're not familiar with this, you could check into some online articles about impassibility)

MM: Thanx.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92699
11/11/07 12:47 AM
11/11/07 12:47 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Why didn't God pick someone else? Wasn't Lucifer's position part of the reason why he rebelled? That is, he felt God was treating him below his position. Perhaps he wouldn't have felt slighted if he wasn't in that position. His expectations would have been such that he wouldn't have been tempted to feel slighted.

TE: This would have been true of anyone in Lucifer's position, unless God created Lucifer with some special propensity to fail. The point is that, from your perspective, God would have known straight off exactly what would happen if He created Lucifer. God, from your perspective, knew Lucifer would sin. God, from your perspective, would have known that some other creature in Lucifer's position would not have sinned. So it comes down to sin coming about because God chose Lucifer over someone else.

From my perspective, this issue doesn't exist. Lucifer was created perfect, and there was no reason for God to expect that he should sin, any more or less than any other creature God could have created instead of Lucifer.

MM: Are you suggesting God did not foresee a future that included the possibility of Lucifer, in particular, leading a rebellion?

Quote:
MM: Also, how would omitting the traits and qualities that led Lucifer to rebel reduce him to a mere automaton?

TE: Because the trait/quanlity that led Lucifer to rebel was free will.

MM: Couldn't God have created him like other angels who lacked the traits and qualities that lead to rebellion?

TE: The other angels had free will also, so they had the same trait/quality that Lucifer had.

MM: If the trait that leads FMAs to rebel is free will, how, then, can you say God does not foresee a future, after the Millennium, which includes FMAs rebelling?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Mountain Man] #92701
11/11/07 03:51 AM
11/11/07 03:51 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I think you mean “reveal” instead of “conceal”

Right.

Quote:
God is not under any obligation, but He simply doesn’t have anything to hide from His creatures – not even evil.

Nothing? There is nothing that God knows that He hasn't revealed?

Quote:

Much as He would like them to not choose it, evil was one of the possible options for God’s creatures. By eliminating the beings who would choose this option, God would be virtually eliminating the option.

They didn't exist! You can't "eliminate" a being who doesn't exist. God had three possibilities, at least, for any being He was considering that He knew would sin: 1)Create a different being whom He knew would not sin. 2)Don't create any being 3)Create the being that God knew would sin. It's very difficult for me to see how 1) and 2) would not be clearly better alternatives in every case. That worse problems would have arisen, simply because God *considered* a being who would sin, had God either skipped creating the being, or created a different one He knew wouldn't sin, seems to me to be a very weak argument. There any reason to asert this, other than the theory of foreknolwedge that you hold necessitates it in order to keep the theory in tact, is there?

Quote:

The talk about two options would be a pretense.

Three. At least.

Quote:

It’s like saying that people are free to vote either in a democrat or in a republican candidate, and then setting the electronic urn to compute the votes for the democrat candidate and not compute the votes for the republican candidate. People are indeed free to vote, but there is no honesty in the process.

It's not at all like this. It would be like God only creating people that He knew would be demoncrats. God would in no way limiting the freedom of any creature that existed. Creatures that do not exist have no free will to be limited.

Quote:
We have discussed this in the past. The answer I gave then I give now: making a decision and implementing it are two different things.

Certainly for us it is, because we have indecision involved in our knowledge and our thinking process. For God to struggle, there would have to do something to struggle against, some indecision involved. How is it possible for God to have any of the characteristics necessary for a struggle to take place? It seems to me that your perspective would not allow for any indecision on the part of God.

Quote:

You may have made a decision in the past, and then you struggle with it at the time of implementing it. I even cited Christ’s example. Hadn’t He made the decision to die for man in eternity? Didn’t He make it again when Adam sinned? Why then the struggle at Gethsemane?

Because Jesus Christ did not have exhaustive definite foreknowledge of the future. This makes perfect sense for me to say. However, given your view, I think you're asking good questions. Why, indeed, did Jesus struggle? Doesn't seem to make sense given your perspective.

Quote:
The problem to me, as explained above, begins with the fact that I don’t see how God can honestly allow free will and at the same time eliminate the possibility of one of the alternatives.

Ok, here's the logical conclusion of this argument: If God did not create creatures that He knew would sin, then He would not be allowing free will. (I'm not sure what you mean by "allow free will," but I'll use the verb "allow," since that's what you used.) This implies that it is impossible for God to creature creatures with free will without creating sin at the same time.

Quote:
If no creature had chosen to sin. Notice that I’m not saying “If God hadn’t prevented Satan from existing,” but “If Satan had not chosen to rebel.”

My whole question is about why God created a being He knew would sin. It's never been about preventing an already existing creature from sinning. I don't know why you're making this distinction.

I also don't see how this answers my question. It seems to me, from what you've said, the moment that God decided to create beings with free will, He had to create being He knew would sin. I see no possible scenario, from your perspective, that is not negative. Can you suggest one? You say here "if no creature had chosen to sin," but there's no what that could have happened, from your perspective, is there? As soon as God thought of a creature who would sin, if God created him, He was stuck. He was forced to create the being He knew would sin. By forced I mean it was the best alternative available.

This seems to me like straight forward reasoning. Do you see any problem with the logic here?

Page 30 of 42 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 41 42

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!