HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily), 2,156 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 34 of 42 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 41 42
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92844
11/16/07 06:25 PM
11/16/07 06:25 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
First of all, from the SOP we know there is no explanation for the existence of sin. However, if God was constrained to create being He knew would sin in order to preserve the integrity of free will, that explains the existence of sin very nicely.

Of course not. The explanation for sin would be in the answer to the question of why that being sinned, not why he was created (since he was created perfect).

“Nothing is more plainly taught in Scripture than that God was in no wise responsible for the entrance of sin; that there was no arbitrary withdrawal of divine grace, no deficiency in the divine government, that gave occasion for the uprising of rebellion” (GC 492, 493).

If God didn’t withdraw His grace, which brings love to the heart of all His creatures, how could selfish thoughts arise and be cherished in the heart of a perfect creature, in a perfect environment? If there was no deficiency in the divine government, why would any creature rebel against it? Obviously there is no satisfactory answer to these questions.

Quote:
Secondly, if God was constrained to create beings that would sin in order to preserve the integrity of free will, then God is responsible for sin.

This applies to your view too. God created perfect beings and created free will. If free will led perfect beings to sin, God is ultimately responsible for sin - whether He knew this would happen or not. Knowing about the possibility also brings responsibility.

Quote:
However, once Lucifer was created, and some rebels already existed, the integrity of free will had already been established. Why create more beings that would sin?

The integrity of free will had already been established? What do you mean by that? My view is that God, as creator and preserver of free will, shouldn’t, to be coherent, abstain from creating any being just because that being will use his/her free will to make wrong choices.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Rosangela] #92848
11/16/07 07:28 PM
11/16/07 07:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
It is impossible to explain the origin of sin so as to give a reason for its existence. (GC 492)

You wrote before that if no one exited to make the wrong choice, to sin, then that would mean that God did not respect wrong choices. Well if it is for sin to exist in order for God to respect wrong choices, then that's an explanation for the existence of sin!

On the other hand, if there is no reason why a perfectly created being should sin (I agree with this part), then it's difficult (I'd say impossible) to see what would be lost by not creating beings who would sin. This would simply be refraining from creating beings that would do something that could not be explained.

Quote:
This applies to your view too. God created perfect beings and created free will. If free will led perfect beings to sin, God is ultimately responsible for sin - whether He knew this would happen or not. Knowing about the possibility also brings responsibility.

No, it doesn't apply, and this is the principle reason I defend it as strongly as I do, because this is the only view I'm aware of where one can argue in a logically consistent way that God is in no way responsible for the entrance of sin. Free will did not lead perfect beings to sin. Free will made it possible for perfect beings to sin. There's a big difference here.

If free will, under my view, made it inevitable for sin to occur, then I would agree with you. But I don't believe sin was inevitable, or even likely. You, however, believe it was inevitable. This is also a big difference.

Quote:
The integrity of free will had already been established? What do you mean by that? My view is that God, as creator and preserver of free will, shouldn’t, to be coherent, abstain from creating any being just because that being will use his/her free will to make wrong choices.

I asked the question why it was God would create beings He knew would sin. You said it was necessary to have beings who would sin, or else it could not be said that God respected wrong choices. I rephrased this as preserving the integrity of free will, which I think is an accurate representation of the thoughts you shared previously.

Given that when God create Lucifer, and the other angels He knew would join him in sin, the requirement to have beings that made wrong choices was already fulfilled. There is no more need for further creatures that would sin. So why did God create even more beings that He knew would sin? That's what I'm asking.

By way of clarification, when God was considering creating the first man and woman, would you agree that God was not constrained to create Adam and Eve? That is, He could have created a different pair. Given that God wasn't forced to create that particular pair, what would have been God's criterion? Just create the first pair that came into mind? He couldn't decide on some other pair just because that particular pair He foresaw would happen to sin, and His integrity wouldn't allow it? D'oh! Too bad God didn't think of a pair that wouldn't sin.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92849
11/16/07 08:46 PM
11/16/07 08:46 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
You wrote before that if no one exited to make the wrong choice, to sin, then that would mean that God did not respect wrong choices. ...

I asked the question why it was God would create beings He knew would sin. You said it was necessary to have beings who would sin, or else it could not be said that God respected wrong choices.

I’m almost sure you did not understand my point.
Before I reply, I would like to make sure I understood correctly what you are saying about what I said. What does “exited” mean here? Could you rephrase this sentence, please?

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92851
11/17/07 12:23 AM
11/17/07 12:23 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Again, what makes sin unexplainable is the reason why it was chosen.

“Sin appeared in a perfect universe. . . . The reason of its inception or development was never explained and never can be, even at the last great day when the judgment shall sit and the books be opened. . . . At that day it will be evident to all that there is not, and never was, any cause for sin. At the final condemnation of Satan and his angels and of all men who have finally identified themselves with him as transgressors of God's law, every mouth will be stopped. When the hosts of rebellion, from the first great rebel to the last transgressor, are asked why they have broken the law of God, they will be speechless. There will be no answer to give.” {TMK 15.4}

Quote:
Well if it is for sin to exist in order for God to respect wrong choices, then that's an explanation for the existence of sin!

You are inverting things:
Sin didn’t have to exist in order for God to respect wrong choices; but
Since God respects wrong choices, He didn’t prevent sin from existing.

Quote:
It's difficult (I'd say impossible) to see what would be lost by not creating beings who would sin.

What would be lost? What about God’s impartiality? What about His coherence? Would it be coherent to create free will and then be partial in its application?

Quote:
No, it doesn't apply, and this is the principle reason I defend it as strongly as I do, because this is the only view I'm aware of where one can argue in a logically consistent way that God is in no way responsible for the entrance of sin.
If free will, under my view, made it inevitable for sin to occur, then I would agree with you. But I don't believe sin was inevitable, or even likely.

In no way responsible? You are deluding yourself, Tom. Whether sin was more likely or less likely, the fact is that God was not completely ignorant about it, and that He knew sin was a concrete possibility. Whether He was more responsible or less responsible, the fact is your view cannot exempt Him from responsibility.

Quote:
I asked the question why it was God would create beings He knew would sin. You said it was necessary to have beings who would sin, or else it could not be said that God respected wrong choices.

I never said that. What I said was, if God did something to prevent wrong choices from occurring (as opposed to letting things run their course), it could not be said that He respected wrong choices. He would be manipulating things. His purpose could be good (to avoid sin), but His action would go against the essence of free will (respect for choices). That is, God would have to contradict Himself in order to achieve a good purpose, and this cannot be.

Quote:
Given that God wasn't forced to create that particular pair, what would have been God's criterion? Just create the first pair that came into mind? He couldn't decide on some other pair just because that particular pair He foresaw would happen to sin, and His integrity wouldn't allow it? D'oh! Too bad God didn't think of a pair that wouldn't sin.

As I said before, who are we to determine how God’s mind works and how He creates His creatures? The fact is, He created a perfect pair – it would be impossible for it to have been more perfect. And what applies to Lucifer’s case applies to theirs too – God cannot contradict Himself in order to achieve a good purpose.
I consider this to be a speculative discussion, and don't want to go further into it, but your view, on the other hand, doesn't offer a better explanation for the creation of man. Why did God, after Satan's fall, go ahead and create man? Of course earth's pair was the most naive, the most inexperienced of all the inhabitants of the universe, and the most likely to fall. Why did God create them, thus increasing the chances of sin spreading to the inhabited worlds? Knowing about the possibility brings responsibility.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Rosangela] #92854
11/17/07 01:29 AM
11/17/07 01:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You wrote before that if no one exited to make the wrong choice, to sin, then that would mean that God did not respect wrong choices. ...

Quote:
I’m almost sure you did not understand my point.
Before I reply, I would like to make sure I understood correctly what you are saying about what I said. What does “exited” mean here? Could you rephrase this sentence, please?

Sorry! Missing an "s". It means "existed."

I understood you to say that if God eliminated the possibility of wrong choices existing by not creating beings whom He foresaw would make wrong choices, that would not be preserving the integrity of free will (this phrase "respect the integrity of free will" is mine, not yours, but I think it accurate, and eloquently, captures your idea).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92855
11/17/07 02:25 AM
11/17/07 02:25 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Again, what makes sin unexplainable is the reason why it was chosen.

“Sin appeared in a perfect universe. . . . The reason of its inception or development was never explained and never can be, even at the last great day when the judgment shall sit and the books be opened. . . . At that day it will be evident to all that there is not, and never was, any cause for sin. At the final condemnation of Satan and his angels and of all men who have finally identified themselves with him as transgressors of God's law, every mouth will be stopped. When the hosts of rebellion, from the first great rebel to the last transgressor, are asked why they have broken the law of God, they will be speechless. There will be no answer to give.” {TMK 15.4}

But you are offering a reason for its inception, which is my point. You claim that if God did not allow beings to exist that would make wrong choices, this would not be respecting the right to make wrong choices. From this idea, it follows that if God did not create beings who would sin, then free will would be compromised. This is what I understand your argument to be.

Given that is the case, God had to create beings that would sin. Given this to be the case, it's very easy to explain the inception of sin: God created beings He knew would sin.

I'm not getting what's difficult to understand about this. If you do something the end result of which is 100% certain, then there is no mystery when when the certain result occurs.

Please note that EGW said that the inception of sin could not be explained. She did not simply say that the reason why perfectly created beings would sin could not be explained, but that the inception of sin could not be explained.

I understand that your view does not explain why perfectly created beings would sin, but that's not my point. My point is that EGW says that the existence of sin cannot be explained. But under your theory it can very easily be explained: God created beings He knew would sin. He did so because to refrain from doing so would not be displaying integrity on God's part, either to Himself or to the concept of free will. I understand this to be precisely your point. I'm just about certain I've correctly understood this.

This constitutes an easily understood explanation as to why sin exists.

Quote:
You are inverting things:
Sin didn’t have to exist in order for God to respect wrong choices; but
Since God respects wrong choices, He didn’t prevent sin from existing.

God created beings He knew would sin. I don't understand how I'm inverting things. I have been asking why God did this. You say it's because if He didn't, He wouldn't be respecting wrong choices.

You agree that God did not have to create beings He knew would sin, correct? That being the case, if God chose create beings He knew would sin, rather than refrain from doing so, then God made a choice, for the integrity of free will, to create beings that He knew would sin as opposed to creating beings He knew would not sin. This is accurate, isn't it?

Quote:
What would be lost? What about God’s impartiality? What about His coherence? Would it be coherent to create free will and then be partial in its application?

Why is not sinning less partial than sinning? It seems to me that creating beings that would sin is exactly equal in partiality to creating beings that wouldn't sin. I don't understand what it is to be gained by creating beings that would sin. How is God any more impartial one way or the other?

Quote:
I never said that. What I said was, if God did something to prevent wrong choices from occurring (as opposed to letting things run their course), it could not be said that He respected wrong choices. He would be manipulating things. His purpose could be good (to avoid sin), but His action would go against the essence of free will (respect for choices). That is, God would have to contradict Himself in order to achieve a good purpose, and this cannot be.

I don't understand the distinction. Beings with free will don't create themselves. God has to create them. God can either create beings with free will that will sin, or beings with free will that won't sin. He, under your theory, He chose to create beings that would sin.

You're putting things in a bit of a weird way, I think. You speak of God's preventing beings that would sin from existing. That's not what happened. God actually created beings that would sin. That is, God undertook a positive action, the result of which was the existence of beings God was certain to sin, under your theory. I don't see how I am being in any way inaccurate in asserting this. Once again, the beings that would sin do not put up out of nothing. God had to create them.

Quote:
In no way responsible? You are deluding yourself, Tom. Whether sin was more likely or less likely, the fact is that God was not completely ignorant about it, and that He knew sin was a concrete possibility. Whether He was more responsible or less responsible, the fact is your view cannot exempt Him from responsibility.

One can assert that God was responsible for creating a universe where sin was possible. I recognize that. What I am asserting is that God is absolutely innocent for the fact that sin came into existence.

Let's say you choose to have a child. Let's say you raise the child perfectly. The child can still go wrong, can still choose to be an evil person. If this should happen, you would bear no responsibility for that. It would be 100% the responsibility of your child, who exercised his or her free will to do what he or she wanted, in spite of being perfectly raised.

However, if you brought a child into the world that you were absolutely certain would do evil, then you would bear responsibility.

There's no delusion here!

Quote:

God had to take a positive action to create beings that He knew would sin. These beings do not create themselves. You are speaking in terms of God's taking an action to prevent wrong choices from occurring as if somehow this meant something different than God's taking a direct action that made these wrong actions certain. But what's the difference? You agree that God created beings He knew would sin, don't you? That's a positive action that God undertook. It's not that God simply didn't prevent something from occurring. The something that occurred would never have happened had God not taken steps to make it occur.

Quote:
As I said before, who are we to determine how God’s mind works and how He creates His creatures?

We are creatures created in God's image that He invites to reason with Him. He wants an intelligent appreciation of His character, and invites us to understand His mind. In fact, He wants us to think like He does (to take His mind; "let this mind be in you, which was in Christ Jesus"), which is hardly possible if we don't understand how He thinks.

Quote:
The fact is, He created a perfect pair – it would be impossible for it to have been more perfect.

He could have just as easily created a perfect pair that He knew wouldn't sin.

Quote:
And what applies to Lucifer’s case applies to theirs too – God cannot contradict Himself in order to achieve a good purpose.
I consider this to be a speculative discussion, and don't want to go further into it, but your view, on the other hand, doesn't offer a better explanation for the creation of man. Why did God, after Satan's fall, go ahead and create man? Of course earth's pair was the most naive, the most inexperienced of all the inhabitants of the universe, and the most likely to fall. Why did God create them, thus increasing the chances of sin spreading to the inhabited worlds? Knowing about the possibility brings responsibility.

These are good questions.

From my perspective, God created man expecting that man would not enter into rebellion. Perhaps the gift of procreation is unique to man; this has been suggested. Perhaps man was created to demonstrate in some special way that Satan's charges were false.

I think if God created man, and man was likely to fall (or certain to, under your view), then I would agree with you that God would bear responsibility. However, I think man acted in a way that God did not intend or expect, which is born out by Genesis 6, where God said that He regretted making man.

I should point out here the same thing that I've been pointing out to MM, which is that the fact that a decision turned out badly in no way implies that the decision made was of necessity a poor one. If, given the information that God had available at the time He made the decision, it was unlikely that man would sin, and there was great gain to be had in the likely event that man did not sin, then one cannot fairly blame God for having made a poor decision.

I realize this is a somewhat difficult concept to grasp, but it's a fundamental one from the perspective of probability theory. I can give some good examples of this from game theory, if desired.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92884
11/18/07 12:33 PM
11/18/07 12:33 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
I understand that your view does not explain why perfectly created beings would sin, but that's not my point. My point is that EGW says that the existence of sin cannot be explained.

Ellen White is very, very clear about what she means, which is that it cannot be explained why perfectly created beings would sin.

“The entrance of sin into heaven cannot be explained. If it were explainable, it would show that there was some reason for sin. But as there was not the least excuse for it, its origin will ever remain shrouded in mystery.”--RH March 9, 1886.

“The angels had been created full of goodness and love. ... But in this state of peace and purity, sin originated with him who had been perfect in all his ways. ... Sin is a mysterious, unexplainable thing. There was no reason for its existence; to seek to explain it is to seek to give a reason for it, and that would be to justify it. Sin appeared in a perfect universe, a thing that was shown to be inexcusable.”--ST April 28, 1890.

Quote:
Given that is the case, God had to create beings that would sin. Given this to be the case, it's very easy to explain the inception of sin: God created beings He knew would sin.

According to your view it’s also very easy to explain the inception of sin: God created beings He knew might sin.
Of course “would” or “might” makes little difference as far as responsibility is concerned.

Let’s say there are three kinds of steel cables which can be used to raise a heavy box: a cable that will break, a cable that may break, and a cable that will not break. In the first case, the cable breaks, the box falls, and a lot of people are killed in result. In the second case the cable breaks, the box falls, and a lot of people are killed in result. In the third case, obviously, the cable doesn’t break, for there’s no way it can break. Would you say that the worker who used the cable that might break is not guilty? How can he be exempted from responsibility if he knew there was a possibility, although remote, that the cable might break? Knowing about the possibility brings responsibility.

Quote:
God created beings He knew would sin.

Yes, Ellen White specifically says that.

From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency.” {DA 22.2}

“Before the foundation of the world it was according to the determinate counsel of God that man should be created, endowed with power to do the divine will. But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter him from carrying out his eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish his throne in righteousness.” {ST, April 25, 1892 par. 1}

“God had a knowledge of the events of the future, even before the creation of the world. He did not make His purposes to fit circumstances, but He allowed matters to develop and work out. He did not work to bring about a certain condition of things, but He knew that such a condition would exist. --ST March 25, 1897.

Quote:
It seems to me that creating beings that would sin is exactly equal in partiality to creating beings that wouldn't sin.

Since God knew both kinds of choices would be made in the future, not just one, the partiality consists in His suppression of one of them while affirming to respect both. As you say, I'm not getting what's difficult to understand about this.

Quote:
You speak of God's preventing beings that would sin from existing. That's not what happened. God actually created beings that would sin. That is, God undertook a positive action, the result of which was the existence of beings God was certain to sin, under your theory.

God saw that creature 1 would sin.
God saw that creatures 2, 3, 4, 5.....n wouldn’t sin.
If He decides not to create creature 1, but just create creatures 2, 3, 4, 5......n, He is taking a positive action to NOT create one being. Again, what is difficult to understand about this?

Quote:
Let's say you choose to have a child. Let's say you raise the child perfectly. The child can still go wrong, can still choose to be an evil person. If this should happen, you would bear no responsibility for that. It would be 100% the responsibility of your child, who exercised his or her free will to do what he or she wanted, in spite of being perfectly raised.
However, if you brought a child into the world that you were absolutely certain would do evil, then you would bear responsibility.

Wrong, because in both cases you raise the child perfectly, and in both cases the responsibility is 100% of the child, who exercised his or her free will to do what he or she wanted, in spite of being perfectly raised. Your perfect knowledge or your lack of certainty about what will happen doesn’t change that.

Quote:
R: As I said before, who are we to determine how God’s mind works and how He creates His creatures?
T: We are creatures [snip]

Yes, we are just creatures and we are not in possession of all information.

Quote:
From my perspective, God created man expecting that man would not enter into rebellion.

Satan had already fallen. The creation of any being after that would only increase the possibility of sin spreading into the inhabited worlds. Anyone can see that.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Rosangela] #92908
11/19/07 01:39 AM
11/19/07 01:39 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Ellen White is very, very clear about what she means, which is that it cannot be explained why perfectly created beings would sin.

“The entrance of sin into heaven cannot be explained. If it were explainable, it would show that there was some reason for sin. But as there was not the least excuse for it, its origin will ever remain shrouded in mystery.”--RH March 9, 1886.

“The angels had been created full of goodness and love. ... But in this state of peace and purity, sin originated with him who had been perfect in all his ways. ... Sin is a mysterious, unexplainable thing. There was no reason for its existence; to seek to explain it is to seek to give a reason for it, and that would be to justify it. Sin appeared in a perfect universe, a thing that was shown to be inexcusable.”--ST April 28, 1890.

The quotes you provided here say that no reason for the existence for sin can be given, my point.

Quote:
“The entrance of sin into heaven cannot be explained. If it were explainable, it would show that there was some reason for sin.

Right here. But your theory provides an explanation for the existence of sin, and a very easy one at that. God foresaw that certain beings would sin, and chose to create these beings because if He refrained from doing so, He would not be respecting the wrong choices that beings with free will could make.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92909
11/19/07 01:49 AM
11/19/07 01:49 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
According to your view it’s also very easy to explain the inception of sin: God created beings He knew might sin.
Of course “would” or “might” makes little difference as far as responsibility is concerned.

It makes all the difference in the world. Say you are thinking of having a child, and you know that child could get a terrible childhood disease, but the odds of that happening are small. If you have children, you made this exact decision. But if you knew for certain that a child you had would have a terrible disease, would you still have chosen to have had it?

Here's another example. As a point of law, it makes a difference as to whether you do something that you have reason to expect will result in a certain way, as opposed to expecting it to result in a contrary way.

Quote:
Let’s say there are three kinds of steel cables which can be used to raise a heavy box: a cable that will break, a cable that may break, and a cable that will not break. In the first case, the cable breaks, the box falls, and a lot of people are killed in result. In the second case the cable breaks, the box falls, and a lot of people are killed in result. In the third case, obviously, the cable doesn’t break, for there’s no way it can break. Would you say that the worker who used the cable that might break is not guilty?

How can he be exempted from responsibility if he knew there was a possibility, although remote, that the cable might break? Knowing about the possibility brings responsibility.

In reality, there's no such thing as a cable that is 100% certain not to break. So unless you think every worker who uses a cable is guilty if it breaks, the answer has to be yes, the person is not guilty.

The standard used in U.S. law involves what a prudent person could reasonably be expected to do in the given circumstance. So if the worker acted in accordance with what a prudent person would reasonably expected to do, he bears no guilt if the cable breaks.

On the other hand, if he used a cable he knew would break, he would be guilty.

Re: The Concept of Sin, of Punishment, Etc. [Re: Tom] #92910
11/19/07 02:30 AM
11/19/07 02:30 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding the quotes from EGW that God created beings that would sin, I think this is a wrong conclusion for a number of reasons.

The statements you quoted can be understood just as readily as saying that God was aware of the possibility that created beings would sin. For example, in the third quote you provided, right after where you stopped, it says:

Quote:
The plan that should be carried out upon the defection of any of the high intelligences of heaven,--this is the secret, the mystery which has been hid from ages. And an offering was prepared in the eternal purposes to do the very work which God has done for fallen humanity.

Here she clarifies here meaning. She says the plan that *should* be carried out upon the defection of *any* creatures. This is qualified language, indicating an event that can happen, not one that will happen with certainty.

Here is the same principle in regards to humanity:

Quote:
God's healing power runs all through nature. If a tree is cut, if a human being is wounded or breaks a bone, nature begins at once to repair the injury. Even before the need exists, the healing agencies are in readiness; and as soon as a part is wounded, every energy is bent to the work of restoration. So it is in the spiritual realm. Before sin created the need, God had provided the remedy. (Ed 113)

Here are some more reasons to understand that EGW did not believe in a settled future.

For example:

Quote:
Remember that Christ risked all. For our redemption, heaven itself was imperiled. (COL 196)

Clearly if God had seen from all eternity that heaven would never be in any danger, it could not be said that for our redemption heaven was imperiled.

Quote:
It is the privilege of every Christian not only to look for but to hasten the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ (COL 69)

If EGW believed the future were settled, she would not have spoken of the possibility of our hastening Christ's coming, since the date would be fixed. You can't hasten an event that has been fixed to a certain date.

Quote:
I was shown the company present at the Conference. Said the angel: "Some food for worms, some subjects of the seven last plagues, some will be alive and remain upon the earth to be translated at the coming of Jesus."--1T 131, 132

This didn't happen. No one from that Conference is alive.

There are many statements where she writes, "Christ could have come before now." These are just a few examples which demonstrate that Ellen White had a view of the future wherein the future is not completely settled.

Page 34 of 42 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 41 42

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!