HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily, TheophilusOne), 1,877 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Does God have options? [Re: Tom] #92972
11/21/07 03:21 PM
11/21/07 03:21 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
If God tells us that He changes His mind, or is sorry for a decision He made, what is it exactly that we are supposed to relate this to, if not being sorry for decisions we have made, or changing our minds?

We surely aren't to compare God's repentance with ours, because the two are completely different.

"'God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the Son of man, that he should repent; hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?' ... In this prophecy Balaam sets forth the unchangeable character of God. Men are fickle, unreliable; especially is this the case when their minds are not under the direction of the Holy Spirit. When men are controlled by the prince of darkness, no dependence can be placed upon their promises or engagements. But God being infinite in wisdom and goodness, his purposes and decrees are immutable. It is stated in the Scriptures that God repented that he had done so much for man, when only ingratitude and disobedience were the return for all his mercies. Here the Lord speaks after the manner of men, that finite man may understand him." {ST, December 9, 1880}

"God's repentance is not like man's repentance. 'The Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent.' Man's repentance implies a change of mind. God's repentance implies a change of circumstances and relations. Man may change his relation to God by complying with the conditions upon which he may be brought into the divine favor, or he may, by his own action, place himself outside the favoring condition; but the Lord is the same 'yesterday, and to day, and for ever' (Heb. 13:8). Saul's disobedience changed his relation to God; but the conditions of acceptance with God were unaltered--God's requirements were still the same, for with Him there 'is no variableness, neither shadow of turning' (James 1:17)." {CC 157.3}

"Christ can look upon the misery of the world without a shade of sorrow for having created man." {MB vii.5}

Re: Does God have options? [Re: Rosangela] #92973
11/21/07 03:34 PM
11/21/07 03:34 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
So when the bible twise records God as repenting of making Saul king of Israel, what did God/the author mean by that? What are we to understand from that declaration attributed to God?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does God have options? [Re: vastergotland] #92977
11/21/07 04:26 PM
11/21/07 04:26 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
That, since Saul had become disobedient, God could no longer approve him as king of His people.

Re: Does God have options? [Re: Rosangela] #92982
11/21/07 05:27 PM
11/21/07 05:27 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
We surely aren't to compare God's repentance with ours, because the two are completely different.

They are different because God is perfect, and we aren't. When we repent, it is because we have done something wrong, and are sorry about that, and want to do differently. But God is perfect, and everything He does is wise and good. So these are indeed very different.

So when God says He is sorry He created man, or for choosing Saul as king, there is no implication that God did anything wrong.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God have options? [Re: vastergotland] #92983
11/21/07 05:37 PM
11/21/07 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: västergötland
Is there something in that post that beggs to be adressed?

MM: Well, I was kind of hoping you would respond to the idea I presented. Do you agree the ways start on the other side of the gates and go on from there? Or, do you the ways end at the gates? The distinction might effect what we believe about the ways, whether there are two ways or many ways. Do you see what I mean?

Quote:
TV: "According to Jesus' words, quoted above, there are two general directions, lets say north and south. If Jerusalem is to the north and Babylon to the south, it would be a detour to go south if aiming at Jerusalem. However, any of the many roads leading north would do the job."

MM: We agree there are two gates and two ways. Jesus named them 1) the strait gate, and 2) the wide gate. Life begins after we enter the gate. The way beyond the wide gate is broad and full of death, whereas the way beyond the strait gate is narrow and full of life.

Matthew
7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

7:14 Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Re: Does God have options? [Re: Tom] #92986
11/21/07 06:11 PM
11/21/07 06:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
MM: I guess I prefer to believe God was using words and ideas we can relate to ....

Of course God uses words we can relate to. What else would He do? Use words we can't understand?

If God tells us that He changes His mind, or is sorry for a decision He made, what is it exactly that we are supposed to relate this to, if not being sorry for decisions we have made, or changing our minds? What do you think God wants us to understand?

MM: Good questions, Tom. Thank you. Here is the rest of what posted (after the ellipse above):

Quote:
... rather than concluding it means God sometimes makes decisions He later regrets because they turn out wrong. The part that bothers me the most is the idea that God can make decisions that end up wrong, or that He does something that He later wishes He hadn't done.

I would find it hard to trust God with the future. Whatever He says about the future would have to be taken with a grain of salt because there is a chance it won't turn out the way He hopes. I wouldn't be 100% certain that "affliction shall not rise up the second time" simply because God says so. He might be wrong. Thus, I prefer to believe God knows the "end from the beginning", that the reason He can accurately foretell the future is because He is omnipresent and omniscient, that our yesterdays and tomorrows are, for God, now and always.

This explains why I prefer to believe knows precisely how the future will play out, that He makes certain decisions in spite of knowing how they will play out, that He isn't surprised when they turn out the way they do. However, it does not explain why God used words that indicate He was disappointed at how things turned out.

First of all, the fact God said He regrets how things turned out does not mean He had absolutely no idea it would turn out the way it did. Even from your perspective, God knew it might turn out that way, thus, He wasn't totally surprised. Knowing ahead of time that it could go wrong means God had time to think about it, time to wrestle with strong feelings, etc.

But, in spite of these strong feelings, God chose to go through with it, with whatever decision He was dealing with at the time. Afterwards, when things did go wrong, His feelings would have intensified, would have gotten stronger. It is these feelings, in this context, that God shared with His people. His feelings mean to Him what they mean to us. He felt sad and sorrowful.

However, given the context, the fact God knew things could go wrong, it is clear to me that His words do not mean He did not know things would turn out the way they did. Thus, I cannot cite these kinds of passages, the ones where God says, "It repenteth me", and conclude it means He did not know ahead of that things would go wrong.

Do you see what I mean?

Re: Does God have options? [Re: Tom] #92987
11/21/07 06:24 PM
11/21/07 06:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:

They are different because God is perfect, and we aren't. When we repent, it is because we have done something wrong, and are sorry about that, and want to do differently. But God is perfect, and everything He does is wise and good. So these are indeed very different.

So when God says He is sorry He created man, or for choosing Saul as king, there is no implication that God did anything wrong.

MM: Tom, in light of what you posted above, do you still think God would have decided against creating FMAs if He had known ahead of time that they would rebel?

Also, in light of the following insight - "Man's repentance implies a change of mind. God's repentance implies a change of circumstances and relations." - do you still believe the phrase, "It repenteth me", means God regretted creating mankind, or that He regretted a particular decision He made?

Re: Does God have options? [Re: Mountain Man] #92991
11/21/07 08:13 PM
11/21/07 08:13 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Tom, in light of what you posted above, do you still think God would have decided against creating FMAs if He had known ahead of time that they would rebel?

I've said a number of times I don't believe God would create beings He knew was certain to sin.

Also, in light of the following insight - "Man's repentance implies a change of mind. God's repentance implies a change of circumstances and relations." - do you still believe the phrase, "It repenteth me", means God regretted creating mankind, or that He regretted a particular decision He made?

Yes. When a man repents, it is because He made some mistake, and is acknowledging the mistake. God made no mistake. He is perfect. He would have made the same decision in the same circumstances. It seems to me this is what EGW's point is. God had no change of mind regarding His decision.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God have options? [Re: Tom] #92992
11/21/07 08:30 PM
11/21/07 08:30 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
This explains why I prefer to believe knows precisely how the future will play out, that He makes certain decisions in spite of knowing how they will play out, that He isn't surprised when they turn out the way they do.

You're using a different basis than I use, and not a good one, I don't think, to determine that God's word is trustworthy. You are basing it, it appears to me, on the basis of His being able to see the future in a certain way, and are saying you couldn't trust Him if He didn't see the future that way. I based it on His character, and His track record revealed in Scripture, revealed in Christ, on being trustworthy.

The problem with the attitude you have is that you couldn't possibly admit you were wrong, because to do so would make God untrustworthy. That's a terrible position to put yourself in! God would still be trustworthy, even if He didn't see the future the way you think He does.

Our positions should be grounded on what they tell us about God's character, and nothing else. This idea just popped into my head, so I haven't thought about it a lot, but my initial impression is that it is correct. That is, if we took the position that all that matters is that we learn the truth about God's character, I think that would lead us to correct positions.

Quote:
However, it does not explain why God used words that indicate He was disappointed at how things turned out.

First of all, the fact God said He regrets how things turned out does not mean He had absolutely no idea it would turn out the way it did.

No one has claimed God had "absolutely no idea" it would turn out the way it did.

Quote:
Even from your perspective, God knew it might turn out that way, thus, He wasn't totally surprised. Knowing ahead of time that it could go wrong means God had time to think about it, time to wrestle with strong feelings, etc.

But, in spite of these strong feelings, God chose to go through with it, with whatever decision He was dealing with at the time. Afterwards, when things did go wrong, His feelings would have intensified, would have gotten stronger.

From my perspective, yes. But not for yours. From yours, God is above time, or not in time, or timeless, or beyond time (I'm not sure how you would want to express this, but you get the idea) so God's feelings would always be the same. They couldn't change, because changing feelings would mean that God is in time.

Quote:

It is these feelings, in this context, that God shared with His people. His feelings mean to Him what they mean to us. He felt sad and sorrowful.

But no more sad and sorrowful than at any other time. You're not being consistent with your perspective here.

Quote:

However, given the context, the fact God knew things could go wrong, it is clear to me that His words do not mean He did not know things would turn out the way they did.

I'm not following this. The fact that God knew things could go wrong does not mean He did not know things would turn out the way they did? This doesn't make any sense. Why would the fact that God knew things could go wrong imply He wouldn't know they wouldn't turn out the way they did?

Quote:

Thus, I cannot cite these kinds of passages, the ones where God says, "It repenteth me", and conclude it means He did not know ahead of that things would go wrong.

Do you see what I mean?

No, I'm not following this last part. It seems like you're arguing in a circle. It sounds like you're saying, "God knows exactly what will happen. Therefore passages that say that He doesn't can't mean what they say," which is circular, and the point I made before we even started considering the Biblical passages.

It's not possible for you to accept any Biblical passage (on this subject) that says something different than what you believe as meaning what it says. It must mean something different, because if it didn't mean something different, your presupposition would be wrong (in regards to how God sees the future).

I want to make clear what is circular here. I also have a strong conviction that God would not create a being that He knew would sin. But I don't start any argument with this as a presupposition. Therefore there's no circular reasoning. If I started an argument with, "God does not create beings He knows would sin. Therefore this passage cannot mean such and so" that would be circular.

Re: Does God have options? [Re: Rosangela] #92993
11/21/07 09:42 PM
11/21/07 09:42 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
That, since Saul had become disobedient, God could no longer approve him as king of His people.

Hmm, thats what I would have said. Makes perfect sence if God changes His plan after circumstances change. But if God knew from before it happened that Saul would defect, why didn't God choose someone like David right away? Or if God stood outside of time and looked at the whole thing at once, if He'd always know that Saul would loose his way after becoming king, why did God make Saul king?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!