HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #92835
11/16/07 04:43 PM
11/16/07 04:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, thank you for clarifying your belief. I totally disagree with it, but it is nice to know what you believe.

1. The idea that God can, in cases involving FMAs who are very familiar with His character, simply excuse sinning is unsettling.

2. The idea that the only reason Jesus shed His blood was to win our trust and obedience is unsettling.

3. The idea that God does not require death as payment for sinning is unsettling.

4. The idea that God will not punish and destroy sinners in the lake of fire is unsettling.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #92860
11/17/07 06:45 AM
11/17/07 06:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.God never excuses sin. He pardons sinners.
2.I don't know why it would be unsettling that the death of Jesus would result in obedience. If God has obedient children, what more does He need?
3.I don't know why it would be unsettling that God is willing to forgive us without requiring a payment of some sort.
4.God will punish and destroy sinners in the lake of fire. We don't disagree regarding that this will happen, but how.

MM, a question I'd like to ask you is how you can maintain that Lucifer did not sin before his rebellion when the Spirit of Prophecy says that Lucifer was given the chance to "confess his sin" long before his rebellion?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #92866
11/18/07 01:00 AM
11/18/07 01:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: 1. God never excuses sin. He pardons sinners.

MM: What about sins of ignorance?

TE: MM, a question I'd like to ask you is how you can maintain that Lucifer did not sin before his rebellion when the Spirit of Prophecy says that Lucifer was given the chance to "confess his sin" long before his rebellion?

MM: Here's the quote again: "Before he was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin, and submit to God's authority as just and righteous."

You seem to assume God would have pardoned Lucifer without shedding the blood of Jesus. This interpretation, however, is not biblical. God has never pardoned sin without shedding the blood of Jesus.

There is no biblical reason to assume God would have pardoned Lucifer without shedding the blood of Jesus. Neither did Sister White say it. You are only assuming she does based on what you believe is logical deduction.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #92874
11/18/07 03:03 AM
11/18/07 03:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

God does not excuse sin, if "excuse" means what I think it means when you are using it, or were using it when you were using it before (perhaps you have a different meaning in mind now). If you ask your question in more detail, I'll give a more detailed answer.

Quote:

TE: MM, a question I'd like to ask you is how you can maintain that Lucifer did not sin before his rebellion when the Spirit of Prophecy says that Lucifer was given the chance to "confess his sin" long before his rebellion?

MM: Here's the quote again: "Before he was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin, and submit to God's authority as just and righteous."

You seem to assume God would have pardoned Lucifer without shedding the blood of Jesus. This interpretation, however, is not biblical. God has never pardoned sin without shedding the blood of Jesus.

There is no biblical reason to assume God would have pardoned Lucifer without shedding the blood of Jesus. Neither did Sister White say it. You are only assuming she does based on what you believe is logical deduction.

You didn't answer my question, right? I asked, "how you can maintain that Lucifer did not sin before his rebellion when the Spirit of Prophecy says that Lucifer was given the chance to 'confess his sin' long before his rebellion?" and you reproduced the quote that said what I said it said, and then talked about something else.

I'll address what you brought up, but I'd still like to know the answer to my question.

You say, "God has never pardoned sin without the shedding of blood" but I just presented a case to you where He did (or was willing to). So your statement is false. There is nothing anywhere in the quote, or anywhere else, for that matter, in the many pages where the Spirit of Prophecy discusses this, that says that Christ would need to die for Lucifer. In fact, she explicitly explains why not:

Quote:
But even as a sinner, man was in a different position from that of Satan. Lucifer in heaven had sinned in the light of God's glory. To him as to no other created being was given a revelation of God's love. Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 761, 762)

We know from the Spirit of Prophecy that Lucifer sinned, and that over and over again God offered Him pardon on condition of repentance and submission. We know the Spirit of Prophecy nowhere says that Christ had to die for Lucifer in order for God to offer Him pardon. Indeed, we know for a fact, that Christ did not die for Lucifer, and that God did offer him pardon. I'm not deducing anything here by logic; just pointing out what she wrote.

Also I'm not understand why you bring up "logical deduction." Even if it were true that what I said were true on the basis of logical deduction, that would be just as valid a method for determining truth as any other method. God is a God of reason and logic. He invites us to reason together.

The Spirit of Prophecy often speaks of the importance of having sound arguments to present, and of the importance of having positions that can bear up under close scrutiny.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #92892
11/18/07 04:37 PM
11/18/07 04:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

TE: God does not excuse sin, if "excuse" means what I think it means when you are using it, or were using it when you were using it before (perhaps you have a different meaning in mind now). If you ask your question in more detail, I'll give a more detailed answer.

MM: Here's what I mean by the word "excuse": To make allowance for; overlook: "Readers must excuse the author's youth and inexperience." http://www.thefreedictionary.com/excuse

Does God make allowance for (i.e. overlook) sins of ignorance? Or, does He require the shed blood of Jesus to pardon and atone for sins of ignorance?

Quote:

TE: You didn't answer my question, right? I asked, "how you can maintain that Lucifer did not sin before his rebellion when the Spirit of Prophecy says that Lucifer was given the chance to 'confess his sin' long before his rebellion?" and you reproduced the quote that said what I said it said, and then talked about something else.

MM: As you know, I do not believe her use of the word "sin", in this context, means Lucifer was guilty of sinning willfully. Instead, I believe it means his behavior was sinful.

Quote:
TE: I'll address what you brought up, but I'd still like to know the answer to my question.

You say, "God has never pardoned sin without the shedding of blood" but I just presented a case to you where He did (or was willing to). So your statement is false. There is nothing anywhere in the quote, or anywhere else, for that matter, in the many pages where the Spirit of Prophecy discusses this, that says that Christ would need to die for Lucifer. In fact, she explicitly explains why not:

Quote:
But even as a sinner, man was in a different position from that of Satan. Lucifer in heaven had sinned in the light of God's glory. To him as to no other created being was given a revelation of God's love. Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 761, 762)

We know from the Spirit of Prophecy that Lucifer sinned, and that over and over again God offered Him pardon on condition of repentance and submission. We know the Spirit of Prophecy nowhere says that Christ had to die for Lucifer in order for God to offer Him pardon. Indeed, we know for a fact, that Christ did not die for Lucifer, and that God did offer him pardon. I'm not deducing anything here by logic; just pointing out what she wrote.

Also I'm not understand why you bring up "logical deduction." Even if it were true that what I said were true on the basis of logical deduction, that would be just as valid a method for determining truth as any other method. God is a God of reason and logic. He invites us to reason together.

The Spirit of Prophecy often speaks of the importance of having sound arguments to present, and of the importance of having positions that can bear up under close scrutiny.

MM: The reason she doesn't say Jesus would have shed His blood to make good on God's offer to pardon Lucifer is because Lucifer hadn't sinned yet. Once he was guilty of sinning there was nothing God could do to save him. There was no provision in place to save angels should they venture to transgress God's law.

The moment he was guilty of sinning was the moment he was cast down to earth. God did not, as you assert, offer to pardon him without blood after he was guilty of sinning. No! The instant he was guilty of sinning was the instant God could do nothing to save him. Offering to pardon a person guilty of the unpardonable sin is lunacy.

SR 18
Their high and happy state had been held upon condition of obedience to the law which God had given to govern the high order of intelligences. But no provision had been made to save those who should venture to transgress His law. {SR 18.2}

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #92907
11/18/07 11:55 PM
11/18/07 11:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM: Here's what I mean by the word "excuse": To make allowance for; overlook: "Readers must excuse the author's youth and inexperience." http://www.thefreedictionary.com/excuse

Does God make allowance for (i.e. overlook) sins of ignorance? Or, does He require the shed blood of Jesus to pardon and atone for sins of ignorance?

Acts 17:30 says that in times, God winks. The Spirit of Prophecy tells us that where there is no light, there is no sin. When sin comes, then comes the frown of God. What do you understand these statements to mean?

In the Old Testament, the sacrifices for sins of ignorance were to be made *after* they were discovered.

Regarding God's requiring blood, *we* are the ones who require it to be set right with God. God so loved us, He *gave* His Son.

Quote:
While God has desired to teach men that from His own love comes the Gift which reconciles them to Himself, the archenemy of mankind has endeavored to represent God as one who delights in their destruction. Thus the sacrifices and the ordinances designed of Heaven to reveal divine love have been perverted to serve as means whereby sinners have vainly hoped to propitiate, with gifts and good works, the wrath of an offended God.(PK 685, 686)

Quote:
MM: As you know, I do not believe her use of the word "sin", in this context, means Lucifer was guilty of sinning willfully. Instead, I believe it means his behavior was sinful.

You pointed out that the idea that Lucifer sinned in ignorance was Rosangela's idea, that you didn't think Lucifer sinned at all. Now you are saying that Lucifer did not sin willfully. How is this different than Rosangela's position?

EGW wrote, in the portion I quoted:

Quote:
Before he was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin, and submit to God's authority as just and righteous. But he chose to carry his points at all hazards. To sustain his charge of God's injustice toward him, he resorted to misrepresentation, even of the words and acts of the Creator.

Also this:

Quote:
But, little by little, he began to seek his own honor, and to employ his powers to attract attention and win praise to himself. He also gradually led the angels over whom he ruled to do him service, instead of devoting all their powers to the service of their Creator.

I'm not understanding why you don't think this is willful sin. Is it because you don't think it is sin, or because you don't think it is willful? I'm not understanding how one could not perceive the following to be describing willful sin: "he resorted to misrepresentation, even of the words and acts of the Creator."
Also it seems to me that seeking one's own honor, leading others to devote themselves to oneself instead of to God is describing willful sin as well.

Quote:
MM: The reason she doesn't say Jesus would have shed His blood to make good on God's offer to pardon Lucifer is because Lucifer hadn't sinned yet.

She says that before Lucifer was banished from heaven, he was given opportunity to confess his sin. So clearly he had sinned, since he was given opportunity to confess it. Also, she says that Lucifer was offered pardon again and again, that he was long retained in heaven *after* he was given opportunity to confess his sin.

Quote:
Once he was guilty of sinning there was nothing God could do to save him.

This makes no sense. God offered Lucifer pardon again and again. If what you said were true, then that would have God offering Lucifer pardon again and again when he didn't need it (not having sinned), yet refusing to offer it as soon as he actually needed it! Wouldn't that be rather cruel?

Quote:
There was no provision in place to save angels should they venture to transgress God's law. The moment he was guilty of sinning was the moment he was cast down to earth.

Please note the account of what happened:

Quote:
Before he was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin, and submit to God's authority as just and righteous. But he chose to carry his points at all hazards. To sustain his charge of God's injustice toward him, he resorted to misrepresentation, even of the words and acts of the Creator. Here, for a time, Satan had the advantage; and he exulted in his arrogated superiority ...

He was not immediately dethroned when he first ventured to indulge the spirit of discontent and insubordination, nor even when he began to present his false claim and lying representations before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in Heaven. Again and again was he offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission.

She says that Lucifer was NOT banished from heaven immediately upon sinning, but was given opportunity to confess it. She makes it clear that Lucifer remained in heaven a long time after being given the opportunity to confess his sin, doesn't she? What is it you think she is saying here?

Quote:
God did not, as you assert, offer to pardon him without blood after he was guilty of sinning. No! The instant he was guilty of sinning was the instant God could do nothing to save him. Offering to pardon a person guilty of the unpardonable sin is lunacy.

You seem to be equating "guilty of sinning" with "the unpardonable sin." But if you read EGW's account, you will see she describes the process as gradual, not immediate. She does not say "as soon as Lucifer was guilty of sin, he was banished from heaven," but instead that Lucifer was given opportunity to confess his sin, was long retained in heaven, and over and over again was offered pardon. So clearly Lucifer had not committed the unpardonable sin, sin God was offering to pardon it.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #92924
11/19/07 04:57 PM
11/19/07 04:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Does God make allowance for (i.e. overlook) sins of ignorance? Or, does He require the shed blood of Jesus to pardon and atone for sins of ignorance?

TE: Acts 17:30 says that in times, God winks. The Spirit of Prophecy tells us that where there is no light, there is no sin. When sin comes, then comes the frown of God. What do you understand these statements to mean?

MM: God winks at sins of ignorance. He does not hold us accountable or count us guilty. Instead, He holds Jesus accountable. His death pays our sin debt as if He was guilty. No light, no sin means the same thing.

Quote:
TE: In the Old Testament, the sacrifices for sins of ignorance were to be made *after* they were discovered.

MM: True. But the continual burnt offering covered sins of ignorance before they were discovered. I realize you reject this insight. So, on this point, we disagree.

Quote:
TE: Regarding God's requiring blood, *we* are the ones who require it to be set right with God. God so loved us, He *gave* His Son.

MM: On this we totally disagree.

Quote:

TE: You pointed out that the idea that Lucifer sinned in ignorance was Rosangela's idea, that you didn't think Lucifer sinned at all. Now you are saying that Lucifer did not sin willfully. How is this different than Rosangela's position?

MM: My bad. I do not believe her use of the word "sin", in this context, means Lucifer was guilty of sinning. It means his behavior was sinful. But he wasn't guilty of sinning simply because he was trying to sort out his strange thoughts and feelings. She says, "He had not at that time fully cast off his allegiance to God." {PP 39.1} True, his tactics were sinful, but God tolerated them because at the time it wasn't clear to Lucifer they were sinful. God doesn't tolerate it now because they have been shown to be sinful.

Quote:
TE: She says that Lucifer was NOT banished from heaven immediately upon sinning, but was given opportunity to confess it. She makes it clear that Lucifer remained in heaven a long time after being given the opportunity to confess his sin, doesn't she? What is it you think she is saying here?

MM: Sister White says there was nothing God could to do to save angels once they chose to transgress the law. Thus He banished them from heaven. But you, on the other hand, are saying angels sinned for a "long time" in heaven, and that God tolerated their place in heaven in spite of knowing there was nothing He could do to save them. It doesn't make sense to me.

SR 18
Their high and happy state had been held upon condition of obedience to the law which God had given to govern the high order of intelligences. But no provision had been made to save those who should venture to transgress His law. {SR 18.2}

DA 761
Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. {DA 761.5}

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #92936
11/20/07 02:07 AM
11/20/07 02:07 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM: God winks at sins of ignorance. He does not hold us accountable or count us guilty. Instead, He holds Jesus accountable. His death pays our sin debt as if He was guilty. No light, no sin means the same thing.

How does holding Jesus accountable mean the same thing as saying where there is no light, there is no sin, and no frown of God. If there is no frown of God, why does anyone need to be held accountable? These seem like two diametrically opposed things, rather than the same thing.

Quote:
MM: True. But the continual burnt offering covered sins of ignorance before they were discovered. I realize you reject this insight. So, on this point, we disagree.

I'm not aware of any evidence that what you are suggesting is true.

Quote:
TE: Regarding God's requiring blood, *we* are the ones who require it to be set right with God. God so loved us, He *gave* His Son.

It seems to me I'm saying the following:

Quote:
While God has desired to teach men that from His own love comes the Gift which reconciles them to Himself, the archenemy of mankind has endeavored to represent God as one who delights in their destruction. Thus the sacrifices and the ordinances designed of Heaven to reveal divine love have been perverted to serve as means whereby sinners have vainly hoped to propitiate, with gifts and good works, the wrath of an offended God. (PK 685, 686)

Quote:
MM: My bad. I do not believe her use of the word "sin", in this context, means Lucifer was guilty of sinning. It means his behavior was sinful. But he wasn't guilty of sinning simply because he was trying to sort out his strange thoughts and feelings. She says, "He had not at that time fully cast off his allegiance to God." {PP 39.1} True, his tactics were sinful, but God tolerated them because at the time it wasn't clear to Lucifer they were sinful. God doesn't tolerate it now because they have been shown to be sinful.

She says Lucifer was given the opportunity to confess his sin, so that means he sinned, doesn't it?

Quote:
MM: Sister White says there was nothing God could to do to save angels once they chose to transgress the law. Thus He banished them from heaven. But you, on the other hand, are saying angels sinned for a "long time" in heaven, and that God tolerated their place in heaven in spite of knowing there was nothing He could do to save them. It doesn't make sense to me.

No, not me. Ellen White.

She wrote that Lucifer was given an opportunity to confess his sin. She says that after this Lucifer was long retained in heaven. It's right in the text I quoted to you. I'll present it again:

Quote:

Before he was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin...

He was not immediately dethroned when he first ventured to indulge the spirit of discontent and insubordination, nor even when he began to present his false claim and lying representations before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in Heaven. (4SP 319)

I just quoting a bit of it to save space, but I included the full quote previously.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #92948
11/20/07 03:42 PM
11/20/07 03:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

TE: How does holding Jesus accountable mean the same thing as saying where there is no light, there is no sin, and no frown of God. If there is no frown of God, why does anyone need to be held accountable? These seem like two diametrically opposed things, rather than the same thing.

MM: The principle "no light, no sin" is referring to sinning ignorantly. Do you agree?

It is the substitutionary death of Jesus that gives God the legal right to withhold condemnation and punishment for sins committed in ignorance. Do you agree?

Quote:

TE: I'm not aware of any evidence that what you are suggesting is true.

MM: Sacrifices atone for sinning. The innocent dies in place of the guilty 1) to pay the sin debt of death, and 2) to make reconciliation between God and the guilty. Specific sacrifices cover specific sins. It was not up to the sinner to decide which sacrifice to offer to cover his particular sin. The law regulated his decision, including what to sacrifice once he becomes aware of a sin he had been committing ignorantly. However, the continual burnt offering did not atone for sins committed intentionally. Instead, it was a general sacrifice offered continually to cover sins committed ignorantly.

Quote:

TE: It seems to me I'm saying the following:

"While God has desired to teach men that from His own love comes the Gift which reconciles them to Himself, the archenemy of mankind has endeavored to represent God as one who delights in their destruction. Thus the sacrifices and the ordinances designed of Heaven to reveal divine love have been perverted to serve as means whereby sinners have vainly hoped to propitiate, with gifts and good works, the wrath of an offended God. (PK 685, 686)

MM: It is true that Satan attempts to lead people to believe God "delights in their destruction". As a result some people have "perverted" the meaning of the sacrifices God required. The truth, of course, is quite the opposite. Your quote, however, does not teach God did not require the death of Jesus as a substitute to pay our sin debt of death.

The SOP is clear on this point. She wrote, "Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed." She also wrote, "In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin."

AG 139
Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

1BC 1086
In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin. The beasts for sacrificial offerings were to prefigure Christ. In the slain victim, man was to see the fulfillment for the time being of God's word, "Ye shall surely die" {1BC 1086.7}

Jesus died in our place because Justice (God) demanded it. His death also serves to demonstrate the self-sacrificing love of God, which can motivate us to love and obey Him. "Death must come in consequence of man's sin." "Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed." That's the way of it.

Quote:

TE: She says Lucifer was given the opportunity to confess his sin, so that means he sinned, doesn't it?

MM: It doesn't mean he sinned in the sense He was guilty of sinning. It means his tactics, the way he was going around talking about God, were sinful. "He had not at that time fully cast off his allegiance to God." He thought what he was doing was right and good, that it would result in improving heaven for everyone. It did not occur to him, at that time, that what he was doing was sinful. He was not going around trying to undermine God, or to unseat Him, or to lead rebellion. He was simply doing what he thought was necessary to improve heaven. He was not guilty of sinning.

Quote:

TE: No, not me. Ellen White. She wrote that Lucifer was given an opportunity to confess his sin. She says that after this Lucifer was long retained in heaven. It's right in the text I quoted to you. I'll present it again:

"Before he was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin... He was not immediately dethroned when he first ventured to indulge the spirit of discontent and insubordination, nor even when he began to present his false claim and lying representations before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in Heaven. (4SP 319)

I just quoting a bit of it to save space, but I included the full quote previously.

MM: Of course that's what she wrote. I'm not disputing it. What I am objecting to is your interpretation, your application of what you think it means. You think it means the angels ventured to transgress the law long before they were cast out, and that God tolerated their place in heaven, until they openly rebelled, in spite of knowing there was nothing He could do to save them. I totally disagree with this interpretation.

1. What is the difference between transgressing the law and rebelling openly?

2. Why does the one necessitate banishment from heaven, whereas the other can be tolerated in heaven?

3. Why can't the one be pardoned without the shed blood of Jesus, whereas the other can?

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #92960
11/20/07 11:26 PM
11/20/07 11:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM: The principle "no light, no sin" is referring to sinning ignorantly. Do you agree?

Of course.

Quote:

It is the substitutionary death of Jesus that gives God the legal right to withhold condemnation and punishment for sins committed in ignorance. Do you agree?

I don't see how even you could think this was true, as you perceive Lucifer's sin to be a sin of ignorance, don't you? (I'm talking about where EGW says that Lucifer was given the opportunity to confess his sin, before being banished from heaven.)

I don't see how your comment about sacrifices atoning for sinning supplies any evidence that the sacrifices held each morning and evening were for sins of ignorance.

Regarding Ellen White's quote, she is contrasting the perception with the reality. The reality is that God, from His own love, provided the sacrifice that reconciles us to Himself. This is as opposed to the wrath of an offended God needing to be propitiated.

This sentiment agrees with what Waggoner wrote:

Quote:
The statement then is simply that Christ is set forth to be a sacrifice for the remission of our sins. "Once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself." Heb. 9:26. Of course the idea of a propitiation or sacrifice is that there is wrath to be appeased. But take particular notice that it is we who require the sacrifice, and not God. He provides the sacrifice. The idea that God's wrath has to be propitiated in order that we may have forgiveness finds no warrant in the Bible. (Waggoner on Romans)

Quote:
MM: It doesn't mean he sinned in the sense He was guilty of sinning.

If He was given the opportunity to confess his sin, it means he must have committed sin. Anyone can see that.

Quote:

It means his tactics, the way he was going around talking about God, were sinful. "He had not at that time fully cast off his allegiance to God." He thought what he was doing was right and good, that it would result in improving heaven for everyone.

MM, I'm not seeing how you can assert these things given what she actually wrote. She wrote:

Quote:
Before he was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin, and submit to God's authority as just and righteous. But he chose to carry his points at all hazards. To sustain his charge of God's injustice toward him, he resorted to misrepresentation, even of the words and acts of the Creator.

Please notice that Lucifer was "shown to be wrong" and that it was *after* this that he was "long retained in heaven." He offered excuses, blamed God, misrepresented God's statements, and so forth. And *still* he was not banished from heaven. All of this is right there in the quote I provided. It's 4SP 319.

So Lucifer was not acting innocently, trying to improve heaven for everyone. He was trying to excuse his own actions, and by misrepresentations convince people to believe him instead of God.

Quote:

It did not occur to him, at that time, that what he was doing was sinful. He was not going around trying to undermine God, or to unseat Him, or to lead rebellion. He was simply doing what he thought was necessary to improve heaven. He was not guilty of sinning.

Have you read 4SP 319? I'm not understanding how you're getting the conclusions you are.

Quote:
Instead of changing their wrong course, they manifest great indignation against the reprover, as if he were the sole cause of difficulty. From the days of righteous Abel to our own time, such is the spirit which has been displayed toward those who dare to condemn sin.

Satan had excited sympathy in his favor by representing that God had dealt unjustly with him in bestowing supreme honor upon Christ. Before he was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin, and submit to God's authority as just and righteous. But he chose to carry his points at all hazards. To sustain his charge of God's injustice toward him, he resorted to misrepresentation, even of the words and acts of the Creator....

He was not immediately dethroned when he first ventured to indulge the spirit of discontent and insubordination, nor even when he began to present his false claim and lying representations before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in Heaven. Again and again was he offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission.

1.Instead of changing their wrong course, they manifest great indignation against the reprover, as if he were the sole cause of difficulty. (She has Satan's actions specifically in mind here; see the paragraph previous to the one this comes from.)

2.Before he was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin.

3.Satan chose to carry his points at all hazards. To sustain his charge of God's injustice toward him, he resorted to misrepresentation, even of the words and acts of the Creator.

4.Long was he retained in Heaven. Again and again was he offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission.

Satan was clearly shown to be wrong, but rather than admit his error, he resorted to misrepresentation of God. Even after this, he was long retained in heaven.

Quote:
MM: Of course that's what she wrote. I'm not disputing it. What I am objecting to is your interpretation, your application of what you think it means. You think it means the angels ventured to transgress the law long before they were cast out, and that God tolerated their place in heaven, until they openly rebelled, in spite of knowing there was nothing He could do to save them. I totally disagree with this interpretation.

This is your interpretation of what I've said. These are your words, not mine.

What I have said is what Sister White said. She said that Lucifer was clearly shown to be wrong. She said that he was given an opportunity to confess his sin. She said that instead of doing this, he sought to justify his actions by misrepresenting God. She said that Lucifer, even after this, was long retained in heaven, and over and over again offered pardon.

These are all her words. I haven't offered the interpretation you've suggested. I've been repeating these words of hers.

Quote:

1. What is the difference between transgressing the law and rebelling openly?

You mean in general, or in Lucifer's case?

Quote:

2. Why does the one necessitate banishment from heaven, whereas the other can be tolerated in heaven?

I think I can best answer this with a quote:

Quote:
But even as a sinner, man was in a different position from that of Satan. Lucifer in heaven had sinned in the light of God's glory. To him as to no other created being was given a revelation of God's love. Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. (DA 761, 762)

Lucifer was long retained in heaven, and again and again offered pardon. There came a point when there was nothing more God could do to help him.

Quote:

3. Why can't the one be pardoned without the shed blood of Jesus, whereas the other can?

It's not a question of God's not being able to pardon. God is always willing to forgive. The problem is the sinner so hardens His heart that He no longer is willing or able to respond to the Holy Spirit.

What requires the shed blood of Christ is the revelation of God's love and character:

Quote:
Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 762)

God would have given Christ as a sacrifice for Lucifer as readily as for man if it would have done any good.

Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!