HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 28 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 27 28
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93673
12/20/07 10:04 PM
12/20/07 10:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I've already explained what I think about Jesus' comments regarding an "eye for an eye". Such judicial laws apply to a theocrasy, which did not exist while Jesus was here in the flesh. In the end, the principl behind such laws will be executed in the lake of fire when sinners suffer in proportion to their sinfulness.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #93680
12/21/07 06:46 AM
12/21/07 06:46 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Jesus' comment that one should turn the other cheek was not said, as you suggested, because the principle of eye for eye was being misapplied, but was rather an expression of the principles by which His own life was led, as the Spirit of Prophecy stated.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93700
12/21/07 05:25 PM
12/21/07 05:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
You are entitled to your opinion. One thing is certain - He was not debunking an "eye for an eye".

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #93714
12/21/07 07:29 PM
12/21/07 07:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, here's the statement again.

Quote:
The whole earthly life of Jesus was a manifestation of this principle. It was to bring the bread of life to His enemies that our Saviour left His home in heaven. Though calumny and persecution were heaped upon Him from the cradle to the grave, they called forth from Him only the expression of forgiving love. Through the prophet Isaiah He says, "I gave My back to the smiters, and My cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not My face from shame and spitting." "He was oppressed, and He was afflicted, yet He opened not His mouth: He is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so He openeth not His mouth." Isaiah 50:6; 53:7. And from the cross of Calvary there come down through the ages His prayer for His murderers and the message of hope to the dying thief. (MB 71)

Regarding an eye for an eye, I asked you if you realized we would be lost if God followed this principle. I don't think you've answered this question, have you?

From 1 Cor. 13

Quote:
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. (1 Cor. 13:4-8)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93715
12/21/07 07:36 PM
12/21/07 07:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In a recent post, I asked some questions:

What do you think of the law of divorce? Who instituted that? Why, then, did Jesus say that anyone who left their spouse, other than for adultery was guilty of adultery? Was He contradicting His own law here?

(I'm answering your question with these questions because the same principle applies to both this situation and the "eye for an eye" one.)

Do you acknowledge the point that turning the other cheek was not something Jesus was speaking about doing in special circumstances, but was, in fact, simply a revelation of how Jesus lived His own life (and thus, a revelation of God's character)?

(end of quote from previous post)
-----------------------------------------------------

Please address these questions. I want to address your point about Jesus' "debunking" eye for eye and tooth for tooth, but would like to respond to my questions on divorce to do so.

Also I'm curious if you recognize that when Jesus said to turn the other cheek, He was simply enunciated a principle by which He lived His life. Your saying that I'm entitled to my opinion doesn't really answer this question.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93834
12/26/07 07:33 PM
12/26/07 07:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus established the laws regulating divorce and remarriage. They still apply today. He did not change them.

Jesus did not abolish the "eye for an eye" principle when He spoke of turning the other cheek. Both reflect God's character.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #93837
12/26/07 07:43 PM
12/26/07 07:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm sorry, MM, but I'm not understanding either of your answers to my questions. In the OT the Israelites were allowed to divorce if they followed a certain procedure. Are these the laws regulating divorce and remarriage you are talking about? Or are you talking about what Jesus said in the Gospels?

Regarding turning the other cheek, my question to you has been the following:

Quote:
Also I'm curious if you recognize that when Jesus said to turn the other cheek, He was simply enunciated a principle by which He lived His life.

You write that two different things which are mutually exclusive both reflect God's character, which I suppose could be taken as your recognizing that when Jesus said to turn the other cheek, He was simply enunciating a principle by which He lived His life. However, your statement would also be implying that Jesus lived His life by the principle of an eye for an eye, which is obviously not true.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93843
12/26/07 08:17 PM
12/26/07 08:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I do not make a distinction between what Jesus said in the OT and what He said in the NT. It is the word of God - all of it. Not once did He contradict Himself. What He said about divorce and remarriage in the OT is upheld in the NT.

And "eye for an eye" and turning the other cheek both reflect the love and glory of God's character. Jesus demonstrated these truths all thoughout the OT and NT. It is true, though, while He was here in the flesh, He did not rule as Sovereign of the universe. He came to die our death on the cross. The next time He comes, however, He will unsheath the sword of the Lord.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #93846
12/26/07 08:36 PM
12/26/07 08:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, I do not make a distinction between what Jesus said in the OT and what He said in the NT.

You should! Jesus did! That's why He said, "you have heard it said X, *but* I say unto you Y." Y was better than X. This is Jesus' point, pretty obvious by the way He spoke. It's hard to miss this in fact.

Quote:
Not once did He contradict Himself. What He said about divorce and remarriage in the OT is upheld in the NT.

Jesus said that certain accommodations were made for divorce because of the hardness of their hearts. God is gracious. However, Jesus explained what the ideal was, and God's true idea regarding marriage and divorce.

God hates divorce. That was just as true in the time of Moses as in the time of Jesus. When Jesus came in the flesh, He explained the ideal, which He was able to live out in His life to give more force to.

Quote:
And "eye for an eye" and turning the other cheek both reflect the love and glory of God's character.

These are mutually contradictory, dude! You can't both not retaliate against someone (turn the other cheek) and retaliate against him (eye for eye). These are two fundamentally and diametrically opposed modus operandi. The fact that these are different, in addition to being obvious, is brought out by the fact that Jesus said "BUT I say unto you." The "but" highlights that these are different ways to act.

Quote:
Jesus demonstrated these truths all thoughout the OT and NT. It is true, though, while He was here in the flesh, He did not rule as Sovereign of the universe. He came to die our death on the cross. The next time He comes, however, He will unsheath the sword of the Lord.

When He comes again, His character will be identical to what it was in the flesh. He wasn't putting on a show, but opening the window to His soul. God is greatly misunderstood, but He is no more a vengeful, militaristic God now than He was then. It sounds like you are enunciating the identical misapprehensions about God that the Jews had.

I can see throughout Jesus' life that He illustrated the principle of "turn the other cheek," but where did He live by "eye for eye"?

The principle of "turn the other cheek" springs forth from agape, the selfless, self-giving love of God. God is agape. God turns the other cheek because He is agape.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93852
12/26/07 09:01 PM
12/26/07 09:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
In the OT Jesus ordered Moses to kill a Sabbath breaker, the guy caught gatehring sticks for a fire. When did Jesus demonstate this prnciple while here in the flesh?

Page 16 of 28 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 27 28

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!