HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,973
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 28
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 3 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 28 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 27 28
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #94181
01/03/08 03:33 PM
01/03/08 03:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: What sin was this?

MM: The quote you are referring to makes it clear Lucifer's thoughts and feelings and tactics and strategy did not become sin until the moment he resolved to pursue his course at all hazards even though he was convinced it was wrong to do so.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #94183
01/03/08 03:37 PM
01/03/08 03:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: When you quote things from EGW with no comment, I can't respond, since I can't read your mind.

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
PP 407
Enraged at this decision, he cursed the judge, and in the heat of passion blasphemed the name of God. He was immediately brought before Moses. The command had been given, "He that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death" (Exodus 21:17); but no provision had been made to meet this case. So terrible was the crime that there was felt to be a necessity for special direction from God. The man was placed in ward until the will of the Lord could be ascertained. God Himself pronounced the sentence; by the divine direction the blasphemer was conducted outside the camp and stoned to death. Those who had been witness to the sin placed their hands upon his head, thus solemnly testifying to the truth of the charge against him. Then they threw the first stones, and the people who stood by afterward joined in executing the sentence. {PP 407.5}

You say Jesus does not kill sinners. But here we find Him commanding Moses and the congregation to kill a man. Jesus didn't do this while here in the flesh, so why did He do it back then?

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #94184
01/03/08 03:43 PM
01/03/08 03:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: It's particularly bad from to quote something by me, and then something by EGW with no comment. It's also bad form for you to ask me questions, and then answer them for me.

TE: The principles of the Kingdom of God, expressed by Christ, are better than the principles used to run human governments. Israel was not the ideal. Christ was (and is) the ideal.

EGW: The Lord chose a people and made them the depositories of His truth. It was His purpose that by the revelation of His character through Israel, men should be drawn to Him. To all the world the gospel invitation was to be given. Through the teaching of the sacrificial service, Christ was to be uplifted before the nations, and all who would look unto Him should live. {8T 25.3}

EGW: Instead of linking himself with the greatness of Egypt, [Moses] chose to bind up his life with God's purpose. Instead of giving laws to Egypt, he by divine direction enacted laws for the world. He became God's instrument in giving to men those principles that are the safeguard alike of the home and of society, that are the cornerstone of the prosperity of nations--principles recognized today by the world's greatest men as the foundation of all that is best in human governments. {Ed 68.4}

EGW: The children of Israel were to occupy all the territory which God appointed them. Those nations that rejected the worship and service of the true God were to be dispossessed. But it was God's purpose that by the revelation of His character through Israel men should be drawn unto Him. To all the world the gospel invitation was to be given. Through the teaching of the sacrificial service Christ was to be uplifted before the nations, and all who would look unto Him should live. All who, like Rahab the Canaanite, and Ruth the Moabitess, turned from idolatry to the worship of the true God, were to unite themselves with His chosen people. As the numbers of Israel increased they were to enlarge their borders, until their kingdom should embrace the world. {COL 290.1}

These quotes do not support what you asserted above. Who should we believe? You have a tendency to pass over certain comments and questions, I hope you don't do it again here. That's why I hazarded to answer for you that list of questions posted earlier on this thread. I'm trying to understand your position, but sometimes you make it difficult. I'm sorry if I offended you. I will try not to do it again.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #94185
01/03/08 03:46 PM
01/03/08 03:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PP 705, 706
But "when they came to Nachon's threshing floor, Uzzah put forth his hand to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen shook it. And the anger of the Lord was kindled against Uzzah, and God smote him there for his rashness; and there he died by the ark of God." A sudden terror fell upon the rejoicing throng. David was astonished and greatly alarmed, and in his heart he questioned the justice of God… The fate of Uzzah was a divine judgment upon the violation of a most explicit command. {PP 705}

Upon Uzzah rested the greater guilt of presumption. Transgression of God's law had lessened his sense of its sacredness, and with unconfessed sins upon him he had, in face of the divine prohibition, presumed to touch the symbol of God's presence. God can accept no partial obedience, no lax way of treating His commandments. By the judgment upon Uzzah He designed to impress upon all Israel the importance of giving strict heed to His requirements. Thus the death of that one man, by leading the people to repentance, might prevent the necessity of inflicting judgments upon thousands. {PP 705.3}

I do not see Jesus excusing sin here. I see Him taking matters into His own hands and killing Uzzah. Jesus did no such thing while here, so why did He do it back then?

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #94212
01/03/08 11:30 PM
01/03/08 11:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: What sin was this?

MM: The quote you are referring to makes it clear Lucifer's thoughts and feelings and tactics and strategy did not become sin until the moment he resolved to pursue his course at all hazards even though he was convinced it was wrong to do so.

I'm just asking what sin it was that Lucifer committed that he was given the opportunity to confess.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #94213
01/03/08 11:32 PM
01/03/08 11:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
You say Jesus does not kill sinners. But here we find Him commanding Moses and the congregation to kill a man. Jesus didn't do this while here in the flesh, so why did He do it back then?

God's commanding something be done is not God's doing it Himself. This is another subject. It's certainly a reasonable question to ask why God would command something to be done that He wouldn't do Himself, but this is another subject.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #94214
01/03/08 11:38 PM
01/03/08 11:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
These quotes do not support what you asserted above. Who should we believe?

I think "MM" would be the answer to your question. \:\)

Regarding the quotes not supporting what I asserted, how so? I'm not seeing that. There's nothing in what you quoted that I would read and think, "I don't believe that." You'll have to spell out for me what you have in mind.

[/quote]You have a tendency to pass over certain comments and questions, I hope you don't do it again here.[/quote]

! This is quite a request for you to make considering your thoroughness in responding to my questions and comments compared to mine in response to yours, but OK, I'll try to improve.

Quote:
That's why I hazarded to answer for you that list of questions posted earlier on this thread.

Not a good idea. A better idea would be just directing me to the questions.

Quote:
I'm trying to understand your position, but sometimes you make it difficult. I'm sorry if I offended you. I will try not to do it again.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

I think asking more open ended questions is a better way to understand another's positions, as opposed to a series of yes/no questions. Yes/no questions have presuppositions built into them, whereas an open ended question allows someone to describe their position in their own words.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #94215
01/03/08 11:52 PM
01/03/08 11:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I do not see Jesus excusing sin here. I see Him taking matters into His own hands and killing Uzzah. Jesus did no such thing while here, so why did He do it back then?

If all that we can know about God was revealed by Jesus' life and character while here with us in the flesh, during the time in which the "whole purpose of His mission" was to reveal God to us that we might be set right with Him, then we need to be able to find the thing about God we are trying to ascertain THERE.

Jesus Christ came to "rectify errors". These errors were based on misunderstanding the Old Testament. If you are misunderstanding the Old Testament, and Jesus comes for the exact purpose of correcting your errors, so you can properly understand it, but you ignore His life and character and instead go back to the very errors He is trying to correct, I don't understand how this can work. How can Christ rectify errors in this scenario?

Rather than allowing the glorious light of Christ to illumine the misunderstanding, this seems like dimming the light of Christ by misunderstanding.

We're dealing with principles of interpretation here. What I am suggesting is that if all the we can know about God was revealed in the life and character of Christ while here in the flesh, then anything we think we know about God should be found there. That's simple logic. So allow me to ask you, where do you find in Christ's life and character while here in the flesh the idea you think you see in the Old Testament?

From "The Great Controversy" we read:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. (GC 35, emphasis mine)

If the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work by representing what he does as something God is responsible for, don't you think it would be a good idea to consider that this may be exactly what is happening if we have an interpretation in mind where God is represented as visiting punishment? Otherwise, what is the point of her statement?

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #94216
01/03/08 11:54 PM
01/03/08 11:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

Here's a simpler answer to this same question. If all that we can know about God was revealed in the life and character of His Son, and you state "Jesus did no such thing while here," then the logical conclusion is that what you are asserting you see happening is not what happened.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #94246
01/04/08 06:04 PM
01/04/08 06:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: I'm just asking what sin it was that Lucifer committed that he was given the opportunity to confess.

MM: He was given an opportunity to confess that it would be a sin to pursue his course further. It didn't become sin until he pursued it further.

---

TE: God's commanding something be done is not God's doing it Himself.

MM: What? I can hear it now, “Yes, I commanded Moses to kill him, but I am innocent.” Such a claim is laughable at court in downtown St. Louis.

---

TE: Jesus Christ came to "rectify errors". These errors were based on misunderstanding the Old Testament.

MM: Jesus showed Sister White the true understanding in the following quote. It explains why Jesus killed Uzzah. What error are you talking about?

PP 706
Upon Uzzah rested the greater guilt of presumption. Transgression of God's law had lessened his sense of its sacredness, and with unconfessed sins upon him he had, in face of the divine prohibition, presumed to touch the symbol of God's presence. God can accept no partial obedience, no lax way of treating His commandments. By the judgment upon Uzzah He designed to impress upon all Israel the importance of giving strict heed to His requirements. Thus the death of that one man, by leading the people to repentance, might prevent the necessity of inflicting judgments upon thousands. {PP 705.3}

Are you suggesting that Satan is the one who killed Uzzah, that Satan killed Uzzah against the will of God? If so, it implies Satan helped God teach the truth, to prevent people from sinning in the future, to deny Satan the opportunity to kill more people in the future.

---

MM: I do not see Jesus excusing sin here. I see Him taking matters into His own hands and killing Uzzah. Jesus did no such thing while here, so why did He do it back then?

TE: Here's a simpler answer to this same question. If all that we can know about God was revealed in the life and character of His Son, and you state "Jesus did no such thing while here," then the logical conclusion is that what you are asserting you see happening is not what happened.

MM: On one occasion, He did give people the opportunity to stone a woman, but He knew they wouldn’t do it. But why didn’t He take the time to tell everyone that killing sinners is wrong, that He never intended for them to think such a thing?

---

TE: Otherwise, what is the point of her statement?

MM: She was specifically addressing the destruction of the Jews. She wasn’t explaining all the other places where Jesus Himself killed sinners.

Page 22 of 28 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 27 28

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/18/24 12:45 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!