HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 47 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 46 47
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: vastergotland] #95775
02/18/08 11:45 PM
02/18/08 11:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm splitting this up. First post.

Quote:
What does God's forgiveness mean in perspective of those who refuse to acknowledge it? God opens his arms in forgiveness and some people respond by throwin stones at Him. What then? You say that forgiveness requires both to agree on the need for forgiveness and then for one to give it and for the other to recieve it. What about those who crucify Christ anew?

Our sin has broken our relationship with God. God, from His end, has forgiven us, but our relationship remains broken if we don't repent and accept His forgiveness.

We need a relationship with God in order to survive. In the judgment, those who have refused to respond to God's efforts to heal them will suffer and die, because we need a relationship with God in order to be healthy, in order to live.

Quote:
Lets use a human example. Person A and person B are friends. Then person A insults B publicly. Person B becomes angry and their relationship is strained. Person A then says to B, "I forgive you". B is not at all happy with the situation as it implies that it is B who has done something wrong. B refuses to recognise any "wrongdoing" and accept A's offer of "forgiveness". Is it B's fault that the relationship remains strained? (this ought not be taken as a summary of any real event but merely as an example)

No, it's not B's fault, and this is actually quite a good example as "B" in the example represents God (except that God does not become angry, or respond in any selfishly, because He has been insulted.). God, even though He is the One who has been wrong, and by all rights could demand restitution, doesn't. Instead, He forgives, although, again, He is the one who has been wronged. As Psalm 69, depicting Christ's death on the cross put it, "I restored that which I took not away."

Here's another human example. Say you're dating a woman, and she gets upset at you without cause. You realize she is upset, so you take a day off work, and visit her accompanied with flowers and chocolates, or whatever it is that she likes. She unexpected sees you with flowers in hand, and her whole mood changes. She sees from your sacrifice that she has misjudged you and repents (changes her mind; changes from being angry at you to no longer being angry), and you and she live happily ever after.

Even though we are the ones in the wrong, we are the ones who are angry, and we are the ones who need to be fixed. God fixes us by healing us with His love, by revealing the truth about Himself and the truth about ourselves.

Quote:
Besides, Jesus words of forgiveness from the cross did not wait for any concent from His enemies standing on the ground all around. If forgiveness requires mutual concent to be of any value, those words of Jesus had little value for the people who heard them spoken.

The whole point is that Jesus did not wait. God forgives. His forgiveness is unconditional, from His side. He doesn't wait.

However, in order for us to be healed, we need to receive that forgiveness. So in the case of Jesus' enemies, the ones who did not respond, were forgiven, but not healed.

By the way, we receive great value from God's forgiveness, even if we refuse it. We owe our physical lives, and all our possessions, to God's forgiveness. We, like the prodigal son, may receive these blessing, our inheritance, as it were, to selfishly live for ourselves, in which case God's forgiveness will only be of use for us for this life. Or we, like the prodigal son in the story, may choose to respond to the Father's love, and while we are still a long ways off He will receive us.

Quote:
So I strike you as somewhat less reasonable when I disagree with you then I do when I agree with you? Hmm?
Seriously though, not that you would take offense at it, but that you would linger upon it for this long.

This is interesting. You acknowledge that I am right not to take offense at your accusation, but find it odd that I'm lingering with it. Well, if you agree that I am correct in taking offense, then you should agree that I am correct in requesting that you retract it.

However, regardless of what you choose to do, it's led to an interesting discussion, and you've been pleasant since then, so I won't bring it up again (unless I'm responding to something you say).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: vastergotland] #95776
02/19/08 12:10 AM
02/19/08 12:10 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Second (and final) part.

Quote:
I made my statement in light of everything I read you write in your endless discussions with Mike and others regarding these issues. I realise that such is not evidence that would hold in court, or in a scientific paper but it is non the less what I am about here. Reading someone speak on a subject from different points of view over a lengthy period of time, but without taking notes (therefore requiring me to reread it all again in order to make a watertight case) creates a view of how the land lays.
If I read everything the apostle John has written in the bible and conclude that his main thing is speaking about the love of God, if I then got an oportunity to speak with him and he would deny this being the case, this would be a somewhat suprising turn of events. If he then would go on speaking of the love of God in his denial of him speaking about the love of God, well... This is somewhat how I experience this discussion. When your argument goes like this "I request that you retract the accusations you made about me saying that I do not believe God punishes sinners at the judgement day of the Lord, and by the way, those verses over there which you say mean that God punishes sinners, they say nothing of the sort". Every other post is about me taking back my words and the rest contain confirmation that what I intended to say is what you acctually believe. How can I take back my words under these circumstances without creating a lie?

Because you don't know that what you said is true. You accused me of disregarding what you (plural) were presenting in regards to Jesus' teaching of the judgment because it didn't fit in with my view of God. You have no way of knowing that this is true. (in particular, although you may perceive me as disregarding Jesus' teaching, you have no way of knowing, and no reason to state, that I am doing so because it doesn't fit my view of God; that's the particularly offensive part).

You could, instead of making an unsubstantiated accusation like this, which is out of place in a forum among friends, to simply state that you disagree with what I said, and leave it at that.

Quote:
The diffence of course is that Scripture contains some 2000 pages and the average book or letter is much much shorter than that. Some of Ellens major books are by themselves that large and if someone would want to get an overview of everything Ellen wrote on a subject, this person would have maybe 20 000 pages rather than 2000 to read. It is much easier to misuse Ellens work based on this.

I think it's pretty easy to misuse Scripture, and that practically everyone does. Probably everyone does, to some extant. Our big problem is that we don't know God, which causes us to misunderstand and misapply His attempts to communicate with us. In general, Scripture is used as a club to hit people over the head with (and people do exactly the same thing with Ellen White, of course) as opposed to a means by which good news can be shared.

We let our own paradigmns get in the way of what God is really saying to us. Knowing and recognizing that we do this is a first step to really understanding what He's trying to tell us.

Quote:
Creation as explained in genesis does not make sence to a lot of people, so I expect God would then not require these people to believe it just because.

I agree with this, given the premise. I don't think God expects us to believe things "just because." However, I would question the premise because Romans 1 tells us:

Quote:
19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. (Romans 1:19-21)

This seems to be saying that God has revealed Himself clearly enough that they know who He is, to the extent that He created things, and they should be thankful to Him.

Quote:
I read in John Stott's "the Cross of Christ" that God's character has two major parts. His love and His holiness. His love cannot stand the death of creation and His holiness cannot stand the presence of sin. (By the way, before you give a reply considering the details here, notice that a summary is always just that, and you would be adviced to read the chapter itself if you are inclined to critique it.)

I don't have the opportunity to read the chapter, so I am constrained to respond in ignorance. I think that God's holiness is an outspringing of His love, and do not believe there is tension between these attributes.

It's very interesting that you should mention this because I just heard a sermon regarding God's holiness. The preacher presented it as *the* defining attribute of God. This got me to thinking, and it seemed to me that the defining attribute of God is love, of course ("God is love" we read; not "God is holiness") and I wondered how we should understand God's holiness as something tangible and meaningful.

I got to thinking of Jesus Christ. Was He holy? As holy as God? Even while here with us in the flesh? Of course, we would say. What is it that constituted His holiness? It seemed to me that it was the fact that He was in perfect harmony with the law of God. Jesus was holy because He never sinned.

Now the law of God is a law of love, so it follows that holiness is defined by love. If we love (speaking of agape here), then we are holy. God is holy because He loves.

Quote:
I guess the issues start when we (both you and I) make the assumptions that if something makes sence to me it should also make sence to everyone else. I have noticed that this is almost never the case. If I got a $ for every time that something which spoke to me also was meaningfull to someone I tried to share it with, im not sure I could order a McD burger meal with the money.

Well that's what makes things such a challenge, isn't it? Jesus seemed to have just the right way of reaching each one. Most of what Jesus taught and believed made little sense to those He came in contact with. Jesus said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," and almost nobody believes that, even though just about any Christian would affirm that they do.

We can share with each other what makes sense to us, and through our discussing there may be a meeting of the minds as the Spirit leads us into all truth.

One final comment is that I find internet discussions to be a very difficult place to achieve consensus. It's much easy to do so when dealing with someone in person. One of my best friends, in fact the person I would say most closely sees things to the way I do, is someone with whom I "fought" on the internet for years. When on the net still most of the time when I comment on something he wrote it's because of something I'm not seeing the same. That just seems to be what happens.

However, when we speak on the phone we almost never disagree about subjects, but have a much more edifying conversation.

Just an observation.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: vastergotland] #95919
02/26/08 03:23 AM
02/26/08 03:23 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: If all that we can know about God was revealed in the life and character of His Son, this means that there is no information in the Old Testament which tells us something about God which is not revealed in the New. That's simple logic.

For any event in the OT, there should be some corresponding event in Christ's life, or some teaching, which reveals whatever it is that is referenced in the OT in relation to knowing something about God. (#95622)

MM: In the OT, Jesus withdrew His protection and allowed evil angels and/or evil men to kill sinners. I assume you agree with this point. Where in the NT do we find Jesus, while here in teh flesh, demonstrating this behavior?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #95923
02/26/08 05:29 AM
02/26/08 05:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM: In the OT, Jesus withdrew His protection and allowed evil angels and/or evil men to kill sinners. I assume you agree with this point. Where in the NT do we find Jesus, while here in the flesh, demonstrating this behavior?

What's your point, MM? Is it:

a)Jesus never demonstrated this behavior.
b)Therefore, there are things about God that Jesus did not reveal.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #95935
02/26/08 05:39 PM
02/26/08 05:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
My question is - Is it true Jesus demonstrated this behavior in the OT but not in the NT? If so, why not, that is, why didn't Jesus demonstrate this behavior in the NT (while here in the flesh)?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #95945
02/26/08 06:26 PM
02/26/08 06:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
My question was, what's your point? Is it:

a)Jesus never demonstrated this behavior (in the flesh)
b)Therefore, there are things about God that Jesus did not reveal (in the flesh).

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #95980
02/27/08 03:36 PM
02/27/08 03:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I'm asking you my question because I'm trying to understand your point of view. I'm not trying to make a point. I'm not sure what you believe about it. Please help me out. Thank you.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #96035
02/28/08 06:24 PM
02/28/08 06:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If you have no point to make, let's just move on.

Regarding my point of view, it is that all that we need to know of God, or can know of Him, was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ while here with us in the flesh.

So if we take some act that God commited, we should be interpret that act in the light of what we see in Jesus Christ's life and character. This seems very simple to me, MM. I don't understand why you're wanting to find something in the OT and look for the same thing in the NT. I find that very confusing, which is why I've been asking what your point is.

Certainly God has done different things in history than what Jesus Christ did here in the flesh, but none of these things reveals to us something new about God that Jesus didn't reveal. That's the point.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #96073
02/29/08 04:57 PM
02/29/08 04:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Certainly God has done different things in history than what Jesus Christ did here in the flesh, but none of these things reveals to us something new about God that Jesus didn't reveal. That's the point.

MM: In light of what you believe about Jesus revealing the truth about our Father's character and kingdom, I do not understand how you can also say there are things "God" did in the OT that Jesus did not do in the NT, namely - withdrawing divine protection and giving evil angels permission to kill sinners.

In other words, I hear you saying "God" (which I take to mean the Father and not Jesus, please correct if I've misunderstood you) is the type of being whose mercy eventually runs out, withdraws protection, and gives evil angels permission to punish and/or kill sinners within defined limits.

So, again, here's my question - If this is true about "God", and if Jesus, while here in the flesh, demonstrated everything we can know about our Father's character and kingdom, where do we find Jesus, while here in the flesh, demonstrating this particular aspect of our Father?

If we do not find Jesus, while here in the flesh, demonstrating this aspect of our Father, do we dare believe such a thing about Him? Using your theory, would we not rather reject it wholesale?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #96076
02/29/08 05:34 PM
02/29/08 05:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: Certainly God has done different things in history than what Jesus Christ did here in the flesh, but none of these things reveals to us something new about God that Jesus didn't reveal. That's the point.

MM: In light of what you believe about Jesus revealing the truth about our Father's character and kingdom, I do not understand how you can also say there are things "God" did in the OT that Jesus did not do in the NT[/quote]

Jesus was alive for about 30 years. The history of the OT goes on for thousands of years. Jesus could hardly do all these same things in a mere 30 years, for one thing. For another, Jesus lived as a man during His life here in the flesh. So there's no reason to expect, in the first place, that Jesus would be doing the same things.

This isn't even an issue.

Ellen White did not write that Jesus *did* everything that God has ever done, but that all that we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ while here in the flesh.

Quote:
, namely - withdrawing divine protection and giving evil angels permission to kill sinners.

In other words, I hear you saying "God" (which I take to mean the Father and not Jesus, please correct if I've misunderstood you) is the type of being whose mercy eventually runs out, withdraws protection, and gives evil angels permission to punish and/or kill sinners within defined limits.

I've not said this.

Quote:
So, again, here's my question - If this is true about "God", and if Jesus, while here in the flesh, demonstrated everything we can know about our Father's character and kingdom, where do we find Jesus, while here in the flesh, demonstrating this particular aspect of our Father?

First of all, I wouldn't say what you said is true about God. Secondly, what Ellen White wrote is that all that we can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His Son, while here in the flesh. So if there's something you're interested in knowing about God, you should be able to find that revealed in Jesus' life and character.

You should be just as able to find such a thing as I.

Quote:
If we do not find Jesus, while here in the flesh, demonstrating this aspect of our Father, do we dare believe such a thing about Him? Using your theory, would we not rather reject it wholesale?

If we think we have some theory about God's character, and that theory is not reflected in Jesus' life or character while here in the flesh, I think one should question that theory. Either that, or look some more at Jesus' life and character. Certainly the theory regarding God, and the reality demonstrated by Jesus Christ should match.

Page 16 of 47 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 46 47

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!