HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Does God Choose or does Man... ? #96069
02/29/08 01:13 PM
02/29/08 01:13 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Does God Choose or does Man...

Can God, being omniscient, choose those who will be saved or does man out of his on free will choose to be saved.

2 Thessalonians 2:13
But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Prov 19;21 "many plans are in the hearts of man, but its the Lords purpose that prevails"

Re: Does God Choose or does Man... ? [Re: Rick H] #96070
02/29/08 02:27 PM
02/29/08 02:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
God is not a respector of persons. He chooses all to be saved, and He has chosen a means by which one can be saved, which is through Christ. So in Christ God has chosen all.

Here's a nice SOP statement which touches upon this theme:

Quote:
And the word that was spoken to Jesus at the Jordan, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased," embraces humanity. God spoke to Jesus as our representative. With all our sins and weaknesses, we are not cast aside as worthless. "He hath made us accepted in the Beloved." Ephesians 1:6. (DA 113)

One more:

Quote:
He took in His grasp the world over which Satan claimed to preside as his lawful territory, and by His wonderful work in giving His life, He restored the whole race of men to favor with God. (1SM 343)

From Scripture, the following is very nice:

Quote:
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. (John 3:16, 17)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Choose or does Man... ? [Re: Tom] #96079
02/29/08 07:13 PM
02/29/08 07:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
God chose to make salvation available to everyone, and those who choose to be saved will be saved. By faith we choose Jesus as our personal Savior, and through faith we are empowered to imitate His sinless example. It is true, though, that God also knows, because He is omniscient and knows the end from the beginning, who will choose to be saved and who will not choose to be saved.

Re: Does God Choose or does Man... ? [Re: Mountain Man] #96081
02/29/08 07:25 PM
02/29/08 07:25 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
But why not lead all on earth to be saved, why some are chosen and the others are left to their fate, or is this what Paul was getting at when he came across on whether we can question God...

God's Sovereign Choice
1I speak the truth in Christ—I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit— 2I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race, 4the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption as sons; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. 5Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised![a] Amen.
6It is not as though God's word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham's children. On the contrary, "It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned."[b] 8In other words, it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring. 9For this was how the promise was stated: "At the appointed time I will return, and Sarah will have a son."[c]

10Not only that, but Rebekah's children had one and the same father, our father Isaac. 11Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God's purpose in election might stand: 12not by works but by him who calls—she was told, "The older will serve the younger."[d] 13Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."[e]

14What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15For he says to Moses,
"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."[f] 16It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. 17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."[g] 18Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

19One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" 20But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?' "[h] 21Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?

22What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? 23What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles? 25As he says in Hosea:
"I will call them 'my people' who are not my people;
and I will call her 'my loved one' who is not my loved one,"[i] 26and,
"It will happen that in the very place where it was said to them,
'You are not my people,'
they will be called 'sons of the living God.' "[j]

27Isaiah cries out concerning Israel:
"Though the number of the Israelites be like the sand by the sea,
only the remnant will be saved.
28For the Lord will carry out
his sentence on earth with speed and finality."[k]

29It is just as Isaiah said previously:
"Unless the Lord Almighty
had left us descendants,
we would have become like Sodom,
we would have been like Gomorrah."[l]

ROMANS 9:1-29

Re: Does God Choose or does Man... ? [Re: Rick H] #96083
02/29/08 07:30 PM
02/29/08 07:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
But why not lead all on earth to be saved, why some are chosen and the others are left to their fate, or is this what Paul was getting at when he came across on whether we can question God...

God does lead all to be saved. Paul isn't discussing the same issue you are asking about. Paul is discussing why God was just in rejecting Israel.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Choose or does Man... ? [Re: Tom] #96091
02/29/08 08:34 PM
02/29/08 08:34 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
But the premise on can man question God is the same....

Re: Does God Choose or does Man... ? [Re: Rick H] #96093
02/29/08 08:54 PM
02/29/08 08:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If you look at Jeremiah 18, from which this illustration is being drawn, you will see that the following is the situation.

Jeremiah had prophesied against the people. The people were arguing, "Well, if God has prophesied against us, then there's nothing we can do." The Lord responded, "I am the Potterer. I can do anything I desire with the pot. If you will repent of the evil you are doing, then the bad things I prophesied against you will not happen. Similarly, if I tell a nation good things will happen to it, but it changes its actions from doing good to doing evil, then these prophesies can change as well."

So God was saying the idea that one's destiny is fated by an arbitrary choice was completely false, because God was able to undo (and would undo) His prophecies, if the conditions upon which they were set were undone.

The people to whom Paul was arguing were saying that there was no way God could reject Israel, because they had been specially chosen by God. So Paul takes them back to Jeremiah 18, where a similar argument was made, and argues that God can do whatever He wants, because He is God. Just because God at one point said the He would bless Israel, does not mean that at another He could not do something different.

Basically Paul was telling them, "Who are you to tell God what He can and cannot do." God could, and would, reject Israel because of their unbelief.

Quote:
31But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

32Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone; (Romans 9:31, 32)

Re: Does God Choose or does Man... ? [Re: Rick H] #96095
02/29/08 08:57 PM
02/29/08 08:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
How God chooses to save people or nations is not for us to question - it is for us to understand and appreciate. In Romans 9 Paul is talking about the status of Israel's chosen status as a nation. He explains, as much as we can know, how God chose Israel to be His chosen people and nation.

Given their history, one might well wonder why God chose them and not another. But who are we to question what God chooses to do? Is He obligated to explain Himself to us? Or, is it our duty and privilege to believe God is holy, just, and true, and that whatever He chooses to do is also right and righteous?

When God chooses to explain to us why He did/does this or that then it is for our own good; but when He chooses not to explain to us why He did/does this or that it is also for our own good. He wants us to focus on those things He has revealed, and not to focus on those things He has not revealed.

Re: Does God Choose or does Man... ? [Re: Mountain Man] #96113
03/01/08 01:58 PM
03/01/08 01:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
How God chooses to save people or nations is not for us to question - it is for us to understand and appreciate.

There's only one way God saves either nations or individuals, and that's by faith. God certainly wants us to appreciate how He does things, but He has no problem with our questioning how He does things. That's why He invites us to "reason together."

Jesus said, "I call friends, and not servants, because a servant doesn't know what his master is doing." God wants us to know what He is doing, and invites us to ask Him about it.

Re: Does God Choose or does Man... ? [Re: Tom] #96125
03/02/08 01:00 AM
03/02/08 01:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Amen!

When God chooses to explain to us why He did/does this or that then it is for our own good; but when He chooses not to explain to us why He did/does this or that it is also for our own good. He wants us to focus on those things He has revealed, and not to focus on those things He has not revealed.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!