HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (TheophilusOne, daylily, Karen Y, dedication, Dina), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 47 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 46 47
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97299
03/25/08 01:38 PM
03/25/08 01:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
"My attention was again directed to the earth. The wicked had been destroyed, and their dead bodies were lying on its surface. The wrath of God in the seven last plagues had been visited upon the inhabitants of the earth, causing them to gnaw their tongues from pain and to curse God. The false shepherds had been the signal objects of Jehovah's wrath. Their eyes had consumed away in their holes, and their tongues in their mouths, while they stood upon their feet.

After the saints had been delivered by the voice of God, the wicked multitude turned their rage upon one another. The earth seemed to be deluged with blood, and dead bodies were from one end of it to the other. {SR 415.1}

Dave, the paragraph you quoted is difficult, isn't it? But it is also typical of the times. Nowadays we separate such paragraphs to make it easier to tell we are going back to the beginning of an event. Above, I have done just that. The word "after" is the clue that she went back to the beginning of the event.

Besides this, the quote provides gruesome details about the effect of God's glory upon the flesh of the unsaved sinners.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97317
03/25/08 05:38 PM
03/25/08 05:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, the sentence you placed in quotation marks left out an important part, namely, "All that man needs to know or can know ...."

This is completely irrelevant to my point! We were discussing that question of whether Christ revealed all that man can know about God. I quoted the salient part of the quote.

Quote:
Jesus demonstrated what we "can know" about God's kingdom and character, which also happens to be all we "need" to know.

"Can know" and "need to know" are two different things. There's no reason to equate them. If I said you to, "I'll teach you all that you need to know about the book of Galatians." that's not the same as if I said "I'll teach you all that can know about the book of Galatians."

The amazing part of her quote is the "can know" part. If she had simply said, "All that man needs to know of God was revealed by the life and character of His Son," that gives the impression that there may have been some things left out. But when she adds "or can know" Whoa!!, that idea goes out the window.

Nothing was left out. Jesus Christ life and character was a full and complete revelation of God, all that man "can know."

Quote:
Everything else there is to know about God was left for later.

So, what were the determining factors that dictated what Jesus demonstrated while He was here, what we needed to know, and what He left unrevealed for us to discover later on?

Here's the quote, MM;

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son.

There's no need to refashion it into something else.

The whole purpose of Jesus' mission was to reveal the Father, so that man could be set right with God. So the criteria was to reveal the Father. John expressed the same idea:

Quote:
No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like.(John 1:18, CEV)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97369
03/27/08 01:10 PM
03/27/08 01:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, "needs to know" and "can know" go hand-in-hand. "Can know" means capable of knowing now, in this present darkness. It is wonderful to learn we are capable of knowing what we need to know. Which implies saving knowledge.

Do we need to understand everything there is to know about God's "strange act" to experience salvation? The answer is obviously - No. Otherwise, Jesus would have demonstrated this aspect of God's kingdom and character while He was here in the flesh.

The wrath of God is loving, just, and good. It satisfies the demands of law and justice. It also involves venegeance.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97387
03/27/08 06:56 PM
03/27/08 06:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, "needs to know" and "can know" go hand-in-hand.

"Can know" is much, much stronger than "needs to know." If I say, "I'll teach you all the math that you can know" that's MUCH more math than "I'll teach you all the math you need to know." I'd say, depending on your math ability, more than 100 times more.

Quote:
"Can know" means capable of knowing now, in this present darkness.

"Can know" means "capable of knowing." That's it.

Quote:
It is wonderful to learn we are capable of knowing what we need to know. Which implies saving knowledge.

There's more involved than salvation. If one were to interpret "needs to know" as "needs to know in order to bring the GC to an end" *that* would be a lot close to "can know."

Quote:
Do we need to understand everything there is to know about God's "strange act" to experience salvation? The answer is obviously - No.

Good! You've shown that "can know" includes a lot more than "needs to know." Well done!

Quote:
Otherwise, Jesus would have demonstrated this aspect of God's kingdom and character while He was here in the flesh.

"This aspect"?

Quote:
The wrath of God is loving, just, and good. It satisfies the demands of law and justice. It also involves venegeance.

Not human vengeance, though. Human vengeance is "eye for eye" and "tooth for tooth." Divine vengeance is not of this order. God does not overcome His enemies by force. Force is not a principle of God's government.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97435
03/29/08 02:01 PM
03/29/08 02:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
All right. Now let's move on.

What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offended God"?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97468
03/30/08 12:41 AM
03/30/08 12:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It's easy to find "wrath" and "vengeance" in Scripture, in relation to God, and I'll quote some things on that in a moment. Regarding "an offended God," this is an SOP phrase. Here's a couple of Scripture which deal with the first two concepts:

Quote:
18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;...

24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: (Romans 1)

There are tons of like Scriptures, which illustrate the principle that God's wrath is manifest in His "giving up" the object of His wrath.

Regarding "vengeance," the following illustrates the principle:

Quote:
17Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

18If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

20Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.(Romans 12)

God's vengeance is to overcome evil with good.

The SOP speaks of the vengeance of God here:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet, "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." [Hosea 13:9; 14:1.] Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control. (GC 36)

This is easily seen to be the same concept of wrath illustrated from Romans 1.

Regarding an "offended God," I think GC chapter 1 is a great illustration of this concept as well.

I think a problem comes up when we make God such as one as ourselves, petty, and so forth, and so understand "offended" in a petty, small way, as if we ourselves were offended by something someone else does. God is completely selfless, so He cannot be offended like we are, because self is slighted. Instead, God is offended by sin, because of the damage that sin does to His loved ones.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97487
03/30/08 04:17 PM
03/30/08 04:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, from what you've posted above I get the distinct impression you believe God has never expressed wrath or vengeance in any other way. Did I understand your position correctly?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97496
03/30/08 05:02 PM
03/30/08 05:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think God always responds by overcoming evil with good, yes.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97539
03/31/08 04:00 PM
03/31/08 04:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. What is good? Is punishing and destroying sinners good?

2. Has God ever destroyed sinners Himself?

3. Or, does He only withdraw His protection and give evil angels permission to destroy sinners?

4. What was the origin of the following fire:

Leviticus
9:24 And there came a fire out from before the LORD, and consumed upon the altar the burnt offering and the fat: [which] when all the people saw, they shouted, and fell on their faces.

5. What was the origin of the following fire:

Leviticus
10:1 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not.
10:2 And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.

Numbers
16:35 And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense.

6. What was the origin of the following fire:

Genesis
19:24 Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven;

7. And, what is the origin of the following fire:

Revelation
20:9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97549
03/31/08 04:59 PM
03/31/08 04:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
1. What is good? Is punishing and destroying sinners good?

What Jesus did was good. He fully revealed God, which is to say, He fully revealed what good is.

Quote:
2. Has God ever destroyed sinners Himself?

As pointed out in GC chapter 1, yes.

Quote:
3. Or, does He only withdraw His protection and give evil angels permission to destroy sinners?

No. Destruction is not always caused by evil angels, at least not directly. Indirectly all destruction is due to Satan, since he originated sin.

Regarding the origin of fire, we've discussed all of these incidents, haven't we? I'd come back to the same question I've been raising, and that is, where do you see Jesus acting as you think God acted, in terms of destroying people with fire. When Jesus was asked to destroy his enemies with fire, His response was, "You know not of what spirit you are." Why do you think He said that?

He continued, "The Son of Man came not to destroy men's lives, but to save them." I perceive God to be acting consistently in harmony with this principle.

Page 24 of 47 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 46 47

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!