HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 37 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 36 37
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97052
03/17/08 09:11 PM
03/17/08 09:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: But if you put poison in the air, then breathing can cause someone to die. But the reason for their death is the poison, not their breathing.

MM: Tom, this analogy fails to support your theory.

How so? It seems to fit quite well.

Quote:
How about this one: Sunshine warms and gladdens the soul, but if we stand too close it will consume us to death.

Better is the same sun that melts the ice bakes the clay works. What you wrote is still making the problem seem to be God, rather than sin.

Quote:
TE: So it is not God's acting differently to one group than to another which causes the death of the wicked, but what they have done to themselves.

MM: Even at birth, before we are consciously aware we are sinning, we are incapable of surviving the undiluted glory of God. Not even Jesus, while dwelling in sinful flesh, was able to survive the undiluted glory of God.

Reference?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #97055
03/17/08 11:57 PM
03/17/08 11:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: What you wrote is still making the problem seem to be God, rather than sin.

MM: How so?

---

TE: Reference?

MM: 2 Cor 5:21; Heb 12:29; DA 107.4

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97062
03/18/08 01:16 AM
03/18/08 01:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: What you wrote is still making the problem seem to be God, rather than sin.

MM: How so?

Because it doesn't say anything about sin, and makes death appear to be something that happens because of God.

Quote:
MM: Even at birth, before we are consciously aware we are sinning, we are incapable of surviving the undiluted glory of God. Not even Jesus, while dwelling in sinful flesh, was able to survive the undiluted glory of God.

TE:Reference?

MM:2 Cor 5:21; Heb 12:29; DA 107.4

Which of these says that Jesus, while dwelling in sinful flesh, was unable to survive the undiluted glory of God? Where did you get this idea?

Jesus not only survived the glory of God, He manifested it!

Quote:
I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do... I have manifested thy name (John 17:4,6)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #97077
03/18/08 12:21 PM
03/18/08 12:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Which of these says that Jesus, while dwelling in sinful flesh, was unable to survive the undiluted glory of God? Where did you get this idea?

MM: Jesus became sin for us. Sin cannot dwell in the undiluted presence of God. Where do you find Jesus, while in sinful flesh, communing face to face with God?

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97084
03/18/08 03:21 PM
03/18/08 03:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Where do you find Jesus, while in sinful flesh, communing face to face with God?

I could have a theory, say that while in sinful flesh, one cannot set foot on Mars, because in sinful flesh one is incapable of surviving such an experience. You ask me for evidence, and I respond: "Where do you find Jesus, while in sinful flesh, setting foot on Mars?"

I asked you for some statement which says what your theory says, that Jesus Christ, while in sinful flesh, could not have survived being in the presence of God. You cited 3 references that had nothing to do with your claim. You still haven't produced any statement that says that Jesus could not have survived being in the presence of God.

I have a point of clarification regarding your argument I'd like to ask you about regarding that Jesus became sin for us. Do you understand that Jesus became sin for us at the cross? Or during his whole life?

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #97119
03/19/08 03:18 PM
03/19/08 03:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the passages I cited clearly teach sin cannot abide the undiluted glory of God's presence. To sin, "wherever" found, God is a consuming fire. Jesus became sin for us when He became a human. In this state, He could not be in the undiluted presence of God without being consumed by His glory.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97153
03/20/08 04:13 AM
03/20/08 04:13 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, the passages I cited clearly teach sin cannot abide the undiluted glory of God's presence. To sin, "wherever" found, God is a consuming fire.

Sin is not alive, MM. It's not something which can survive or die. People can survive or die. People who choose to give themselves over to sin die because the principle of sin, which is to live for self, is incapable of supporting life.

Quote:
In the light from Calvary it will be seen that the law of self-renouncing love is the law of life for earth and heaven...But turning from all lesser representations, we behold God in Jesus. Looking unto Jesus we see that it is the glory of our God to give. "I do nothing of Myself," said Christ; "the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father." "I seek not Mine own glory," but the glory of Him that sent Me. John 8:28; 6:57; 8:50; 7:18. In these words is set forth the great principle which is the law of life for the universe. All things Christ received from God, but He took to give. So in the heavenly courts, in His ministry for all created beings: through the beloved Son, the Father's life flows out to all; through the Son it returns, in praise and joyous service, a tide of love, to the great Source of all. And thus through Christ the circuit of beneficence is complete, representing the character of the great Giver, the law of life.(DA 21)

What is the law of life? Unselfish giving. What is the opposite? Selfish taking. What is the opposite of life? Death.

Quote:
Jesus became sin for us when He became a human. In this state, He could not be in the undiluted presence of God without being consumed by His glory.

When He became human, or on the cross? You've stated a number of times that Jesus would have been consumed by God's glory had He been in God's presence, but you haven't produces evidence for this, unless your evidence is the following argument:

a)Jesus was sin.
b)Sin is consumed by God's glory.
c)Therefore Jesus could not be in God's glory, since Jesus was sin.

That's not much of an argument, if that's what you're saying, but I'll wait for you to confirm that is indeed what you mean before responding.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #97197
03/22/08 04:45 PM
03/22/08 04:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the passages I cited clearly teach sin cannot abide the undiluted glory of God's presence.

To sin, "wherever" found, God is a consuming fire. This is one of your favorites quotes. "Wherever" includes Jesus.

Jesus became sin for us when He became a human. Does that answer your question?

In this state, He could not be in the undiluted presence of God without being consumed by His glory. This is logical, too.

Where do you find Jesus appearing in God's undiluted glory?

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97202
03/22/08 06:05 PM
03/22/08 06:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Your language is difficult for me to follow. If we understand the glory of God to be His character, which is the correct understanding, then Jesus always appeared in God's undiluted glory. Jesus not only appeared in it, He manifested it.

Quote:
The glory of God is His character. While Moses was in the mount, earnestly interceding with God, he prayed, "I beseech thee, show me thy glory." In answer God declared, "I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy." The glory of God--His character--was then revealed: "The Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty" (Exodus 33:18, 19; 34:6, 7). (God's Amazing Grace 322)

I was going to present a quote from the SOP, and present the Scripture that she presented, but since both are in her quote, I'll just use that.

She is correct in affirming that the glory of God is His character, and she demonstrates this fact exactly how I would have, from Ex. 33. So, given that the glory of God is His character, for Jesus to appear in God's undiluted glory simply means that Jesus appeared in God's undiluted character, which is a funny way of phrasing things, which is why I said your language is difficult to follow.

At any rate, there was no barrier between God and Jesus; God revealed His character, or glory, fully to Jesus, without reservation, and Jesus revealed that glory to us fully, or, to use your word, undiluted.

Regarding Jesus' becoming sin for us when He became a human, what do you think that means? What Jesus literally sin? Or could it mean that Jesus bore our sin, and took our sinful nature?

In the past you've spoken about how God hates sin, and is angry at it, and pours out His wrath against it, and you've spoken about how this is how God treated Jesus on the cross. If Jesus "became sin" for us when He became a human, then does it follow that God treated Jesus in the way that you described throughout His whole life?

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #97219
03/23/08 02:27 PM
03/23/08 02:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, Jesus became sin for us. Yes, He inherited the same fallen flesh nature we inherit. His becoming sin for us cannot mean He committed a sin, or that His charater was corrupted by sin. The flesh He inherited, however, was sinful. It warred against Him in the same way it wars against us. It is this sinfulness that cannot abide in the undiluted presence of God. To this sin "wherever" found, our God is a consuming fire. God protected Jesus from suffering fully until He paid our penalty on the cross.

Page 24 of 37 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!