HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina), 2,103 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 47 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 46 47
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97567
03/31/08 11:21 PM
03/31/08 11:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: What Jesus did was good. He fully revealed God, which is to say, He fully revealed what good is.

MM: No, Jesus didn't fully reveal God. For example, Jesus never rained down fire to consume an animal sacrifice. He never asked a father to sacrifice his son. He never withdrew His protection and gave evil angels permission to destroy sinners. He never created a planet or a race of FMAs by simply speaking a word.

TE: "Has God ever destroyed sinners Himself?" As pointed out in GC chapter 1, yes.

MM: What are you referring to? How did God destroy sinners by himself?

TE: When Jesus was asked to destroy his enemies with fire, His response was, "You know not of what spirit you are." Why do you think He said that?

MM: Because Jesus did not come as a conquering king. Instead, He came to show us to live in harmony with the law, and to die on the cross as our Substitute.

Jesus also said:

Matthew
10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Luke
12:51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
12:52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
12:53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97568
03/31/08 11:31 PM
03/31/08 11:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: What Jesus did was good. He fully revealed God, which is to say, He fully revealed what good is.

MM: No, Jesus didn't fully reveal God.

We'll just have to disagree about this. I believe Jesus Christ fully revealed God.

Quote:
Whereas certain false teachers of his day were depicting Christ as one aspect of the display of God's fullness, Paul insists, as we have already seen, that "the whole fullness of deity" dwells in Christ (Col 2:9). No aspect of God's fullness was withheld from the incarnation. All we can and need to know about God is found in Christ, for God fully dwells in and is revealed in Christ.(Is God to Blame? by Greg Boyd, emphasis mine)

I think Dr. Boyd has this exactly right. Note how close this is to Ellen White's words: "All we can and need to know about God is found in Christ."

Dr. Boyd gives the reason: "for God fully dwells in and is revealed in Christ."

Quote:
TE: "Has God ever destroyed sinners Himself?" As pointed out in GC chapter 1, yes.

It's explained in the chapter, especially around pages 35-37.

Quote:
TE: When Jesus was asked to destroy his enemies with fire, His response was, "You know not of what spirit you are." Why do you think He said that?

MM: Because Jesus did not come as a conquering king. Instead, He came to show us to live in harmony with the law, and to die on the cross as our Substitute.

Jesus came to show us what God is like, so we could be set right with Him.

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. (ST 1/20/90)

Quote:
No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like. (John 1:18)

The division you speak of arises when one resists the picture of God's character which Jesus gave.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97581
04/01/08 08:56 AM
04/01/08 08:56 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

MM: No, Jesus didn't fully reveal God. For example, Jesus never rained down fire to consume an animal sacrifice. He never asked a father to sacrifice his son. He never withdrew His protection and gave evil angels permission to destroy sinners. He never created a planet or a race of FMAs by simply speaking a word.
But those are things God has done. Did Jesus come to reveal who God is or what God can do? If Jesus came to reveal what God can do, then you are right, He did not do that. If Jesus came to reveal who God is, then I believe John got it right when he testified: 'the Word who was God became flesh and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.'

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97585
04/01/08 02:49 PM
04/01/08 02:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

MM: No, Jesus didn't fully reveal God.

TE: We'll just have to disagree about this. I believe Jesus Christ fully revealed God.

I listed several things He did in the OT that He didn't do while here in the flesh. Surely you agree Jesus didn't do those things while here, right?

Quote:
"Whereas certain false teachers of his day were depicting Christ as one aspect of the display of God's fullness, Paul insists, as we have already seen, that "the whole fullness of deity" dwells in Christ (Col 2:9). No aspect of God's fullness was withheld from the incarnation. All we can and need to know about God is found in Christ, for God fully dwells in and is revealed in Christ.(Is God to Blame? by Greg Boyd, emphasis mine)

I think Dr. Boyd has this exactly right. Note how close this is to Ellen White's words: "All we can and need to know about God is found in Christ."

Dr. Boyd gives the reason: "for God fully dwells in and is revealed in Christ."

Again, this insight cannot mean Jesus revealed or demonstrated everything there is to know about God, or even everything we read about God in the OT. Jesus said certain things about Himself and His Father would have to wait until revealed by the Holy Spirit because the disciples weren't ready to see it:

John
16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.
16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show [it] unto you.
16:15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show [it] unto you.

What things, which truths, was Jesus unable to reveal because the disciples were unable to bear it? Which things and truths about God did the Holy Spirit reveal later on that Jesus didn't reveal early on? Can you name any of them?

Quote:

TE: It's explained in the chapter, especially around pages 35-37.

What is explained? How did God destroy sinners Himself? What did He do to them that caused them to die?

Quote:

TE: Jesus came to show us what God is like, so we could be set right with Him.

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. (ST 1/20/90)

Quote:
No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like. (John 1:18)

The division you speak of arises when one resists the picture of God's character which Jesus gave.

If Jesus came to reveal to us what the Father is like, why, then, didn't He explain, while here in the flesh, why and how God destroyed sinners in the OT? All those OT stories cause people to fear God, right? Why didn't Jesus sit His disciples down and explain it to them in plain words?

Instead, Jesus seems to have exacerbated the problem by telling stories of His own that depict God punishing and destroying sinners at the end of time. "There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: vastergotland] #97587
04/01/08 02:58 PM
04/01/08 02:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: västergötland
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

But those are things God has done. Did Jesus come to reveal who God is or what God can do? If Jesus came to reveal what God can do, then you are right, He did not do that. If Jesus came to reveal who God is, then I believe John got it right when he testified: 'the Word who was God became flesh and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.'

The OT is all about what God has done. We understand what God is like from He did, right? One of the most obvious things in the OT is all the sinners God killed: the Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, the Ten Plagues of Egypt, the Extermination of the Canaanites, etc. Why didn't Jesus explain this aspect of God's character and kingdom while He was here in the flesh? Instead, He told "weeping and gnashing of teeth" stories. Why?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97591
04/01/08 03:14 PM
04/01/08 03:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The OT is all about what God has done. We understand what God is like from He did, right? One of the most obvious things in the OT is all the sinners God killed: the Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, the Ten Plagues of Egypt, the Extermination of the Canaanites, etc. Why didn't Jesus explain this aspect of God's character and kingdom while He was here in the flesh?

He did explain it, but not everyone understands what He taught.

Quote:
Instead, He told "weeping and gnashing of teeth" stories. Why?

The "instead" is out of place here.

How many times did Jesus refer to God as "judge"? 0.

How many times did Jesus refer to God as "Father"? Something like 170 times.

Jesus said, "When you've seen Me, You've seen the Father." However, you seem to be saying, "No, you haven't!"

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97592
04/01/08 03:15 PM
04/01/08 03:15 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Could it be that God tried communicating who He is by what He did in the OT and simply found out that the effectiveness was rather limmited?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: vastergotland] #97594
04/01/08 03:19 PM
04/01/08 03:19 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Jesus seemed to refer to Himself as the judge. But a better alternative to asking about judge would be, How many times did Jesus refer to God as "king"?

Galatians 2

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: vastergotland] #97604
04/01/08 06:11 PM
04/01/08 06:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't know, but I'm sure it was nowhere near 170 times.

My point is that Jesus took great pains to present God in a positive way, as a Father, One in whom we can trust, One whom we need not be afraid of. Jesus was trying to bring us to God.

Yet, even though Jesus used the term "Father" so many times, if you just ask someone what title they think of when they think of God, many people will think of "judge" as opposed to "Father."

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97606
04/01/08 06:16 PM
04/01/08 06:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Could it be that God tried communicating who He is by what He did in the OT and simply found out that the effectiveness was rather limmited?

I think that's a possibility. However, another possibility, which I think is actually the case, is that before Jesus Christ came, God simply was not understood. John says, "No one has seen God at any time. His only begotten Son, who knew Him best, has shown us what He is really like." (John 1:18).

Ellen White, in one of my favorite passages (DA 21), speaks of how the world was dark in misunderstanding of God, because Satan had been so successful in presenting God as One having his (Satan's) own attributes of character. And so it is that most people view God as harsh and sever, as One who will kill you (perhaps even burn you alive first) if you do not do what He says.

When Jesus said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father." He was saying, "When you see Me, you've seen the O.T. God". Now, since they are quite different (at least most people perceive the O.T. God as being quite different than Jesus Christ), it seems to me a possibility to explain this discrepancy is simply that no one understood God as well as Jesus did.

Page 25 of 47 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 46 47

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!