HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina), 2,103 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 37 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 36 37
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97447
03/29/08 06:56 PM
03/29/08 06:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You just repeated what you said, right? Well, to repeat myself, I posted, or thought I had posted, a quite lengthy reply, but, much to my chagrin, I don't see it.

It probably took me an hour to put together. The second time through will take less time, though, so we'll see.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97489
03/30/08 04:34 PM
03/30/08 04:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Okay. I await your post.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97609
04/01/08 06:21 PM
04/01/08 06:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Still waiting.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97612
04/01/08 06:24 PM
04/01/08 06:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Oh, sorry. (imagine a blushing emoticon).

Thanks for your patience. I'll see what I can do.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97644
04/02/08 05:06 PM
04/02/08 05:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Back to the topic. Jesus paid the price of our redemption to law and justice - to the Godhead. He paid it with His blood. Law and justice demands not only pardon but death for sin. Jesus had to die because it was required to satisfy law and justice. That's how it is, how the Godhead set it up from the beginning.

This assumes that God had a 19th century Western perspective of justice from the beginning. What evidence is there that God had such a perspective?

If one looks at Scripture to see how it describes justice, one sees Scriptures such as the following:

Quote:
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. (Isaiah 1:17)

Quote:
This is what the LORD says: "Administer justice every morning; rescue from the hand of his oppressor the one who has been robbed" (Jeremiah 21:12)

Quote:
This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Administer true justice: show mercy and compassion to one another." (Zechariah 7:9)

Quote:
Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice.( Isaiah 30:18)

Justice is administered by showing mercy and compassion. God longs to be gracious to us because He is a God of justice.

Quote:
In addition to knowing God better, doing justice leads to shalom, peace: Then justice will dwell in the wilderness, and righteousness abide in the fruitful field. The effect of righteousness abide in the fruitful field. The effect of righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust forever (Isaiah 31:16-17).

Where there is justice there is the possibility of peace. The opposite is also true: where there is oppression and injustice there can be no shalom.

What is this shalom God is calling us to experience? It is certainly more than the absence of war and violence. The basic meaning of shalom is wholeness. It involves all the conditions of life that make for wholeness and harmony. Shalom is the goal of God's work as deliverer and liberator. God's purpose in the world is to restore shalom wherever it has been broken. (http://www.bread.org/get-involved/at-church/biblical-basics-on-justice.html)

The Biblical idea of justice is the restoration of the community (or individual) to shalom. I was searching on google to see if I could find something which nicely expresses this thought, and came across the above.

I'd be curious to see where you see in Jesus' teachings the ideas you have expressed.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #97645
04/02/08 05:45 PM
04/02/08 05:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: This assumes that God had a 19th century Western perspective of justice from the beginning. What evidence is there that God had such a perspective?

MM: Isn't it the other way around? That is, Western societies got their ideas of justice and mercy from God.

TE: Justice is administered by showing mercy and compassion. God longs to be gracious to us because He is a God of justice.

MM: Justice and mercy are two sides of the same coin, right? In mercy God withholds justice. The idea that mercy is justice isn't supported in the Bible or the SOP.

AA 333
When we study the divine character in the light of the cross we see mercy, tenderness, and forgiveness blended with equity and justice. {AA 333.2}

COL 177
The long-suffering of God is wonderful. Long does justice wait while mercy pleads with the sinner. {COL 177.4}

DA 577
The angel of mercy was then folding her wings to step down from the golden throne to give place to justice and swift-coming judgment. {DA 577.3}

DA 762
Through Jesus, God's mercy was manifested to men; but mercy does not set aside justice. {DA 762.1}

EW 221
But He will destroy them utterly and cause them to be as if they had not been; then His justice will be satisfied. {EW 221.1}

GC 48
God permits the wicked to prosper and to reveal their enmity against Him, that when they shall have filled up the measure of their iniquity all may see His justice and mercy in their utter destruction. {GC 48.2}

GC 537
Many regard the threatenings of the Bible as designed merely to frighten men into obedience, and not to be literally fulfilled. Thus the sinner can live in selfish pleasure, disregarding the requirements of God, and yet expect to be finally received into His favor. Such a doctrine, presuming upon God's mercy, but ignoring His justice, pleases the carnal heart and emboldens the wicked in their iniquity. {GC 537.1}

TE: I'd be curious to see where you see in Jesus' teachings the ideas you have expressed.

MM: The following passages address your question:

GC 541
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. {GC 541.4}

GC 627
The severity of the retribution awaiting the transgressor may be judged by the Lord's reluctance to execute justice. The nation with which He bears long, and which He will not smite until it has filled up the measure of its iniquity in God's account, will finally drink the cup of wrath unmixed with mercy. {GC 627.2}

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97648
04/02/08 06:06 PM
04/02/08 06:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: This assumes that God had a 19th century Western perspective of justice from the beginning. What evidence is there that God had such a perspective?

MM: Isn't it the other way around? That is, Western societies got their ideas of justice and mercy from God.

There's several problems with this idea. To name one, there have been many societies throughout history, including that of Israel, so why would no society in history have seen this until 19th century Western society?

Quote:
TE: Justice is administered by showing mercy and compassion. God longs to be gracious to us because He is a God of justice.

MM: Justice and mercy are two sides of the same coin, right? In mercy God withholds justice. The idea that mercy is justice isn't supported in the Bible or the SOP.

Not mercy is justice, but justice is administered by mercy and compassion. I presented the Scripture for this.

Quote:
TE: I'd be curious to see where you see in Jesus' teachings the ideas you have expressed.

I stripped out the quotes that weren't from Jesus, and this is what remained:

Quote:
Love your enemies.

This is indeed in full harmony with God's concept of justice.

Where in Jesus' teachings to we come across the idea that Jesus had to die in order for God the Father to be able to legally forgive us?

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #97653
04/02/08 06:18 PM
04/02/08 06:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
My post was addressing the issue from Scripture, and, in particular, the teachings of Jesus. However, we can also pursue this topic from the standpoint of the Spirit of Prophecy.

According to the Spirit of Prophecy, God offered Lucifer pardon over and over, and gave him the opportunity to confess his sin, and be restored to his position, before being banished from heaven. If God cannot legally pardon sin without the death of Christ, then how could God offer Lucifer pardon?

A contemporary of EGW wrote:

Quote:
What shall we say of the false idea of the atonement, held even by many in the popular Protestant churches of today, and expressed in a late confession of faith in these words, “Christ died to reconcile the Father unto us”?

This is not the place to enter into a discussion of that theme; suffice it to say that it is the pagan idea of sacrifice applied to Christianity. God, they think, was angry; he must pour forth his wrath upon some one. If upon man, it would eternally damn him, as he deserved; but this would interfere with God’s plan and purpose in creating the worlds, so this must not be. And yet God must not be cheated of his vengeance; for this reason he pours it forth upon Christ, that man may go free. So when Christ died, he was slain really by the wrath and anger of the Father. This is paganism.

The true idea of the atonement makes God and Christ equal in their love, and one in their purpose of saving humanity. “God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself.’ The life of Christ was not the price paid to the Father for our pardon; but that life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely. Thus Satan has transformed the truth of God’s love into a lie, and even infused this lie into the very doctrine of the atonement. (George Fifield; emphasis mine)

This reminds me of the following statement by EGW:

Quote:
While God has desired to teach men that from His own love comes the Gift which reconciles them to Himself, the archenemy of mankind has endeavored to represent God as one who delights in their destruction. Thus the sacrifices and the ordinances designed of Heaven to reveal divine love have been perverted to serve as means whereby sinners have vainly hoped to propitiate, with gifts and good works, the wrath of an offended God. (PK 686)

Also this:

Quote:
(M)an was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 762)

Since Satan already knew these things, Jesus' death would not have served to reveal these things to him, so God simply offered him pardon.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #97656
04/02/08 06:36 PM
04/02/08 06:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yet another approach that can be taken in consideration of the penal idea is an historical one. I have already mentioned in previous posts that during Paul's time the concept of sacrifice as a means of a payment to God to enable Him to forgive sin simply did not exist, neither in his own culture nor any other culture of the world. The view of sacrifice in Paul's time was expressed by the following:

Quote:
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. (Romans 12:1)

The sacrifice represented the giving of oneself in service to the deity. In Christianity (or Judaism) there was inherent the deeper understanding that, in truth, it was God who gives Himself in sacrifice, in service, to us.

Another historical difficulty comes to the forefront as we consider the author of the satisfaction theory, Anselm. I took the following from an Orthodox website:

Quote:
The above reality that we have described to this point has been described with several different analogies by the Fathers. Taken together, they can give us a complete picture. The problem has arisen because some have taken one analogy and attempted to make that describe the whole of atonement. However, because it can only point to certain truths about the atonement, any attempt to do this will inevitably result in false conclusions both about God and what needed to be fixed for us to be “saved.”

This is essentially what Anselm did, who is known as the father of satisfaction understanding of the atonement. His goal was to be able to explain to the heathen in a logical fashion why Christ had to die for our sins, without using the Bible or the Fathers. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t trying to stay within them, but because of his methodology he does drift away substantially on some points. It is known as the satisfaction theory because it indicates a need to satisfy a lack that keeps us from salvation.

Essentially, he took the concept of debt that we owe to God and made that into the whole of the atonement. We do see the debt understanding even in the Bible, as the servant who owed his master a lifetime plus of wages. Athanasius speaks of our debt we owe as well, but not as Anselm ended up using it. Because of sin, we owed God a debt due to our violation of His honor. This honor has to be repaid somehow due to the nature of God. Man can’t pay it, only God can pay it, so God becomes man to not only pay what His due is to the Father through perfect obedience, but goes beyond that to give what He didn’t have to give, His life. Since He didn’t need this “merit”, we can obtain that merit for paying our debt to God off. The sacraments then become a means of distributing these merits, as well as other good works. This is basically the Roman Catholic understanding.

The two major problems with this understanding are these: 1. God’s forgiveness is not dependant upon repaying a debt, and 2. The debt we owe is not to the Father. All we have to do to know that the first is not true is look in the Scriptures. All through the Old Testament, before Christ’s sacrifice, God is considered merciful, slow to anger, forgiving all who come to Him. He is ready to cast our sins as far as the east is from the west. The only requirement for forgiveness offered in 2 Chron. 7:14 is “if my people who are called by my name, shall humble themselves and pray, and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways….” Nothing is mentioned about atoning for a past debt before forgiveness of sins can happen. Rather, God simply says: “…then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. In the New Testament we have the parable mentioned earlier, where the servant who owes his master more money than he could ever hope to repay is forgiven his entire debt without expectation of repaying it. In the parable of the Prodigal Son, likewise the father takes the son back, not asking that he restore the wealth he lost in sinful living.

Concerning the second, we see as we have already noted that death is what is being defeated, Satan is the one who we are in bondage to, not God. By placing God as the one who is unwilling to forgive us our debt, it is He who we are in bondage to death with, not Satan. This is attested to by the Fathers:(http://www.orthodoxconvert.info/Q-A.php?c=Salvation-The+Atonement)

The whole article is interesting. This excerpt deals with the part dealing specifically with Anselm. I'll repeat a portion:

Quote:
His goal was to be able to explain to the heathen in a logical fashion why Christ had to die for our sins, without using the Bible or the Fathers.

There are two points here. One is that Anselm's are not to be found in either Scripture nor the Father's writings. We are pursuing the question of whether Anselm's teachings are found in Scripture separately, so here I'd like to consider the second issue, that his ideas are not to be found in writings of the fathers.

Now this is a very interesting point, because the fathers discussed so many aspects of salvation, including Christ's human nature, Christ's divine nature, to name a couple. The same issues we debate today (e.g. what does Prov. 8 mean which it says that Wisdom was "brought forth") were debated at length then.

The father's did not include Anselm's view of the atonement in their discussions of the atonement because none of them saw it in the Scriptures. The idea was not formulated until the last half of the 11th century. The reason the Orthodox church does not believe Anselm's view today is because it broke off from the Roman Catholic church before Anselm's teaching became a part of Catholicism.

Now for the satisfaction theory to be true, as Anselm taught it, we would have to believe that, during the time of the "midnight of the world," the "noon of the papacy," when the world was most enshrouded in darkness this crucially important truth was unseen by any Christians for a millennium!

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #97668
04/02/08 09:53 PM
04/02/08 09:53 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall

Quote:

I stripped out the quotes that weren't from Jesus, and this is what remained:

Quote:
Love your enemies.

This is indeed in full harmony with God's concept of justice.
\:\)
 Quote:

Where in Jesus' teachings to we come across the idea that Jesus had to die in order for God the Father to be able to legally forgive us?
I read one view which pictured the cross and the subsequent resurrection as the final proof of Jesus being the anointed one of prophecy, the hope of Israel. (Possibly one of many nuances covered in the book but at least one not to be disregarded.)

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Page 26 of 37 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!