HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina), 2,103 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 29 of 37 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 36 37
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97840
04/06/08 05:04 PM
04/06/08 05:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ellen White wrote:

Quote:
If you reject Christ's delegated messengers, you reject Christ. (1888 Mat. 1342)

So you're telling me that if you ask me to show something I believe is true from the teachings of Christ, that you would accept a quote from Jones or Waggoner? (she was referring specifically to Jones and Waggoner in her quote here)

It seems to me you're running a smoke screen here. The simple fact is that Jesus did not teach your idea, that He had to die in order for God to be able to legally pardon. Rather than admit this, you try quotes from other people. However, the fact still remains that Jesus did not teach what you are suggesting.

In fact, no one did until Anselm. Can you quote anyone, inspired or not, who stated the idea that God could not legally forgive sin unless Christ died before Calvin?

I'm saying Calving instead of Anselm, because Anselm's theory was slightly different, and I was being a bit inaccurate. So to be more accurate, I'll use Calvin's name, as I believe he was the first to formulate the legal expression you use (Anselm spoke of satisfaction).

So I'd be very interested if you could quote anyone who suggested this before Calving, either inspired or not.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97841
04/06/08 05:17 PM
04/06/08 05:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: One can understand that Christ had to die in order for our sins to be forgiven. But why? That's the whole question.

MM: Obviously because law and justice required it. Law and justice requires death for sin. The plan of salvation is all about restoring law and order. Yes, it includes motivating sinners to love and obey God. But it also includes vindicating the honor and integrity of law and justice. The whole thing is a legal matter.

---

TE: How does the parable of the prodigal son teach that sins are pardoned because of merit? The point of the story is the exact opposite of this. The son's father forgave his sins because of his love for his son, not because of any merit.

MM: Had Jesus not already paid the price to redeem us from foundation of the world, the human race would have ended with the immediate death of A&E. The prodigal son story would have never happened. There would have been no one for God to freely forgive.

It is the eternal atoning sacrifice of Jesus that made probation and the plan of salvation possible. God is not free to forgive impenitent sinners. The scapegoat principle teaches the truth about merit.

Which came first - the substitutionary death of Jesus or pardon and salvation?

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97845
04/06/08 06:18 PM
04/06/08 06:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: One can understand that Christ had to die in order for our sins to be forgiven. But why? That's the whole question.

MM: Obviously because law and justice required it. Law and justice requires death for sin. The plan of salvation is all about restoring law and order. Yes, it includes motivating sinners to love and obey God. But it also includes vindicating the honor and integrity of law and justice. The whole thing is a legal matter.

It was not conceived as a legal matter for millenia, not until the 16th century. Neither Abraham nor Moses nor David nor Paul conceived of it as such. Most of all, Jesus did not conceive of it as such, as there is nothing in His teaching which suggests that He did, which you seem to admit by your lack of response on this point.

My view of things agrees with what EGW wrote, that the "whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God." You can cite anything from Jesus' life and teachings to support this. John says that no one has seen God at any time, but the only begotten Son, who knew Him best, has shown us what God is really like. The synoptic Gospels speak of the "kingdom of God," which Jesus says is "within you." The essence of Jesus' teaching is expressed here:

Quote:
But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. (Luke 6:35)

What a beautiful verse! The issue is one of character. We are God's children when we are like God is. How is that? "Love your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again ... and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil."

God is kind to the unthankful and the evil. Thank goodness for that, because our salvation lies in this very thing! We are His children when we are like Him.

EGW said that the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God, to set men right with Him. When we see what God is really like, our desire to be like Him sprouts. His goodness leads us to repentance.

Nowhere do we see that God loves His enemies more clearly than on the cross. Nowhere do we see that He is kind to the unthankful and the evil more clearly than here.

I could give hundreds of examples from Jesus' life and teachings to support my theory, but you can't give one to support yours. That should be something to think about.

---

Quote:
TE: How does the parable of the prodigal son teach that sins are pardoned because of merit? The point of the story is the exact opposite of this. The son's father forgave his sins because of his love for his son, not because of any merit.

MM: Had Jesus not already paid the price to redeem us from foundation of the world, the human race would have ended with the immediate death of A&E. The prodigal son story would have never happened. There would have been no one for God to freely forgive.

It is the eternal atoning sacrifice of Jesus that made probation and the plan of salvation possible. God is not free to forgive impenitent sinners. The scapegoat principle teaches the truth about merit.

Which came first - the substitutionary death of Jesus or pardon and salvation?

You didn't answer my question. How does the parable of the prodigal son teach that sins are forgiven because of merit? None of the things you mentioned are found in that story.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #97871
04/07/08 03:16 PM
04/07/08 03:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: EGW said that the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God, to set men right with Him. When we see what God is really like, our desire to be like Him sprouts. His goodness leads us to repentance.

MM: Before He suffered and died on cross, Jesus said He had accomplished His goal to fully reveal what God is like. He didn't have to suffer and die to reveal the love of God - He had already done it. Obviously He was accomplishing something else by suffering and dying on the cross.

---

TE: Nowhere do we see that God loves His enemies more clearly than on the cross. Nowhere do we see that He is kind to the unthankful and the evil more clearly than here.

MM: Yes, Jesus handled His torture and crucifixion with love and kindness. But the love of God had already been fully revealed. He already cleared up the misconceptions about the kingdom and character of God. Obviously He was accomplishing something else by suffering and dying on the cross.

---

TE: You didn't answer my question. How does the parable of the prodigal son teach that sins are forgiven because of merit? None of the things you mentioned are found in that story.

MM: Tom, the atoning death of Jesus predates the story of the prodigal son. Obviously God is able to freely pardon and save sinners because Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. This truth is inherent in the story of the prodigal son. Jesus earned the right to freely pardon and save penitent sinners by satisfying the just and loving demands of law and justice.

Which came first - the substitutionary death of Jesus or pardon and salvation? You and I both know the answer to this question. Obviously Jesus' atoning death is what makes pardon and salvation possible. Without it the human race would not have survived the immediate execution of A&E.

The story of the prodigal son is a beautiful portrayal of God's earnest desire to receive us back into the fold. He is not willing that any should be lost. He lovingly longs for us to respond to His tender entreaties to come home and accept Jesus as our personal Savior and friend.

In the midst of the story of the prodigal son the fatted calf is slain, perhaps symbolizing the death of Jesus that makes it possible for God to forgive the sins of the returning, repentant sinner.

Here's a comment by Sister White about the parable of the prodigal son. Please note that she includes the atoning death of Jesus as an integral part of the story.

COL 205
Do not listen to the enemy's suggestion to stay away from Christ until you have made yourself better; until you are good enough to come to God. If you wait until then, you will never come. When Satan points to your filthy garments, repeat the promise of Jesus, "Him that cometh to Me I will in no wise cast out." John 6:37. Tell the enemy that the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses from all sin. Make the prayer of David your own, "Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow." Ps. 51:7. {COL 205.2}

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97900
04/08/08 12:28 AM
04/08/08 12:28 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: EGW said that the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God, to set men right with Him. When we see what God is really like, our desire to be like Him sprouts. His goodness leads us to repentance.

MM: Before He suffered and died on cross, Jesus said He had accomplished His goal to fully reveal what God is like. He didn't have to suffer and die to reveal the love of God - He had already done it. Obviously He was accomplishing something else by suffering and dying on the cross.

From "It Is Finished" we read:

Quote:
To the angels and the unfallen worlds the cry, "It is finished," had a deep significance. It was for them as well as for us that the great work of redemption had been accomplished. They with us share the fruits of Christ's victory.

Not until the death of Christ was the character of Satan clearly revealed to the angels or to the unfallen worlds. The archapostate had so clothed himself with deception that even holy beings had not understood his principles. They had not clearly seen the nature of his rebellion. (DA 758)

Satan had been so clever that the cross was necessary to reveal what was really going on.

Quote:
TE: Nowhere do we see that God loves His enemies more clearly than on the cross. Nowhere do we see that He is kind to the unthankful and the evil more clearly than here.

MM: Yes, Jesus handled His torture and crucifixion with love and kindness. But the love of God had already been fully revealed. He already cleared up the misconceptions about the kingdom and character of God. Obviously He was accomplishing something else by suffering and dying on the cross.

His death accomplished a great deal. I've never claimed that He did only to reveal God's love. That being said, wouldn't you agree that Christ's death on the cross is the clearest revelation of God's love?

Quote:
MM: Tom, the atoning death of Jesus predates the story of the prodigal son. Obviously God is able to freely pardon and save sinners because Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. This truth is inherent in the story of the prodigal son.

You claim here seems entirely without merit. No one hearing the story would interpret it as having anything to do with merit. The story teaches the opposite of what you asserting.

You are simply asserting what you already believe, and are not considering evidence that is contrary to it. With such a mind set, how can you ever change your mind about anything you believe?

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #97927
04/08/08 05:13 PM
04/08/08 05:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Satan had been so clever that the cross was necessary to reveal what was really going on.

MM: We're not talking about Satan, though. Jesus fully revealed the love of God before He suffered and died on the cross. That's the point. He didn't have to suffer and die to reveal the love of God. Obviously He was accomplishing something else by suffering and dying on the cross.

---

TE: His death accomplished a great deal. I've never claimed that He did only to reveal God's love. That being said, wouldn't you agree that Christ's death on the cross is the clearest revelation of God's love?

MM: Again, Jesus clearly revealed the love of God before He suffered and died on the cross. and, yes, this love was demonstrated in an unparalleled way on the cross. here is how it is described:

Quote:
DA 57
At the cross of Calvary, love and selfishness stood face to face. Here was their crowning manifestation. {DA 57.2}

DA 625
"Now is the judgment of this world," Christ continued; "now shall the prince of this world be cast out. And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all unto Me. This He said, signifying what death He should die." This is the crisis of the world. If I become the propitiation for the sins of men, the world will be lighted up. Satan's hold upon the souls of men will be broken. The defaced image of God will be restored in humanity, and a family of believing saints will finally inherit the heavenly home. This is the result of Christ's death. The Saviour is lost in contemplation of the scene of triumph called up before Him. He sees the cross, the cruel, ignominious cross, with all its attending horrors, blazing with glory. {DA 625.4}

HP 18
Jesus presented the Father as one to whom we could give our confidence and present our wants. When we are in terror of God, and overwhelmed with the thought of His glory and majesty, the Father points us to Christ as His representative. What you see revealed in Jesus, of tenderness, compassion, and love, is the reflection of the attributes of the Father. The cross of Calvary reveals to man the love of God. Christ represents the Sovereign of the universe as a God of love. By the mouth of the prophet He said, "I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with loving-kindness have I drawn thee" (Jer. 31:3). {HP 18.3}

But the main reason Jesus suffered and died on the cross was to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice. It is explained here:

Quote:
DA 626
But the work of human redemption is not all that is accomplished by the cross. The love of God is manifested to the universe. The prince of this world is cast out. The accusations which Satan has brought against God are refuted. The reproach which he has cast upon heaven is forever removed. Angels as well as men are drawn to the Redeemer. "I, if I be lifted up from the earth," He said, "will draw all unto Me." {DA 626.1}

FE 197
O we would point men to the cross of Calvary. We would bid them look upon Him whom their sins have pierced. We would bid them to behold the Redeemer of the world suffering the penalty of their transgression of the law of God. The verdict is that "the soul that sinneth it shall die." But on the cross the sinner sees the only-begotten of the Father, dying in his stead, and giving the transgressor life. {FE 197.3}

LHU 158
God has given His law for the regulation of the conduct of nations, of families, and of individuals. There is not one worker of wickedness, though his sin is the least and the most secret, that escapes the denunciation of that law. The whole work of the father of lies is recorded in the statute books of heaven; and those who lend themselves to the service of Satan, to present to men his lies by precept and practice, will receive according to their deeds. Every offense against God, however minute, is set down in the reckoning. And when the sword of justice is taken in hand, it will do the work that was done to the Divine Sufferer. Justice will strike; for God's hatred of sin is intense and overwhelming. {LHU 158.5}

1SM 341
When the mind is drawn to the cross of Calvary, Christ by imperfect sight is discerned on the shameful cross. Why did He die? In consequence of sin. What is sin? The transgression of the law. Then the eyes are open to see the character of sin. The law is broken but cannot pardon the transgressor. It is our schoolmaster, condemning to punishment. Where is the remedy? The law drives us to Christ, who was hanged upon the cross that He might be able to impart His righteousness to fallen, sinful man and thus present men to His Father in His righteous character. {1SM 341.2}

Christ on the cross not only draws men to repentance toward God for the transgression of His law--for whom God pardons He first makes penitent--but Christ has satisfied Justice; He has proffered Himself as an atonement. His gushing blood, His broken body, satisfy the claims of the broken law, and thus He bridges the gulf which sin has made. He suffered in the flesh, that with His bruised and broken body He might cover the defenseless sinner. The victory gained at His death on Calvary broke forever the accusing power of Satan over the universe and silenced his charges that self-denial was impossible with God and therefore not essential in the human family. {1SM 341.3}

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97929
04/08/08 05:52 PM
04/08/08 05:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: Satan had been so clever that the cross was necessary to reveal what was really going on.

MM: We're not talking about Satan, though.

Yes we are. Satan's the whole reason there's a controversy. The controversy is over God's character. Satan has misrepresented God as being like himself. This is how he has won converts to his side. In order to resolve the controversy, the distinction between Satan and God must be made clear.

Now you might think that no one could possibly confuse the two, but the fact of the matter is that Satan has been so successful at misrepresenting God's character with his own, that many believe God to have Satan's attributes, such as being harsh and severe, desiring that we be afraid of him, resorting to force in order to get His way, and so forth. So successful has Satan been with this that when he impersonates Christ, most will believe that he is Christ.

Quote:
Jesus fully revealed the love of God before He suffered and died on the cross. That's the point. He didn't have to suffer and die to reveal the love of God. Obviously He was accomplishing something else by suffering and dying on the cross.

I think you mean something "in addition."

Quote:
TE: His death accomplished a great deal. I've never claimed that He did only to reveal God's love. That being said, wouldn't you agree that Christ's death on the cross is the clearest revelation of God's love?

MM: Again, Jesus clearly revealed the love of God before He suffered and died on the cross. and, yes, this love was demonstrated in an unparalleled way on the cross.

Good! I'm glad you see that this is the case.

It stands to reason that some will see God's love by means of some revelations, and some will see His love revealed by others. Not everyone will see God's love revealed in the same way.

Now if the cross is the clearest revelation of all, it stands to reason that some might see God's love by this means that might not see it by other means. God, being God, would leave no stone unturned in His desire to save.

The following is from George Fifield:

Quote:
The word “atonement” means at-one-ment. Sin had brought misery, and misery had brought a misunderstanding of God’s character. Thus men had come to hate God instead of loving him; and hating him, the one Father, men also hated man, their brother. Thus, instead of the one family and the one Father, men were separated from God and from each other, and held apart by hatred and selfishness. There must be an atonement.

An atonement can be made only by God’s so revealing his love, in spite of sin and sorrow, that men’s hearts will be touched to tenderness; and they, being delivered from Satan’s delusions, may see how fully and terribly they have misunderstood the divine One, and so done despite to the Spirit of his grace. Thus they may be led, as returning brethren, to come back to the Father’s house in blissful unity.

The atonement is not to appease God’s wrath, so that man dare come to him, but it is to reveal his love, so that they will come to him. It was not Christ reconciling God unto the world, but God in Christ reconciling the world unto himself. It is nowhere said that God needed to be reconciled unto us; he says, “I have not forsaken you, but you have forsaken me.”

Paul says, “I beseech you in Christ’s stead, Be ye reconciled to God.” It was this question that needed to be answered: How can it be that God is our Father, and that he is love, when we suffer so much, and oftentimes so unjustly, and yet no voice breaks the silence, no Father’s touch soothes our sorrow? The question was to be answered by God, through Christ, breaking the silence, and through him healing the sick, and raising the dead, prophetic of the time when, Satan’s power being broken, all tears shall be wiped away.

Thus it was revealed that misery was not God’s will, the result of his wrath, but that it was the devil’s will, the result of sin. Christ’s whole life, from Bethlehem’s manger to Calvary’s cross, was a life of untarnished, unadulterated love. But who was Christ? The word means “anointed.” He was the anointed of God, anointed with God’s Spirit to live God’s life on earth. Said the angel: “They shall call his name Emanuel, which being interpreted is, GOD WITH US.” (God is Love, 44)

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #97949
04/08/08 07:35 PM
04/08/08 07:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, to whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? I have no problem with your Fifield quote, except to say it doesn't address the reason why Jesus had to suffer and die on the cross. No one, that I know of, is suggesting it had anything to do with making God love sinners.

Most of the reasons people give as to why Jesus had to suffer and die on the cross have nothing to do with the atonement. Instead, their reasons explain why He had to live a sinless life, namely, to prove obeying the law in sinful flesh is perfectly doable.

Jesus did not suffer and die on the cross primarily to prove God is loving and worthy of worship. Yes, it serves that purpose, too. The primary reason why Jesus had to suffer and die on the cross was to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice. The following quotes make this point clear:

AG 139
Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

1BC 1086
In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin. The beasts for sacrificial offerings were to prefigure Christ. In the slain victim, man was to see the fulfillment for the time being of God's word, "Ye shall surely die" {1BC 1086.7}

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #97953
04/08/08 08:08 PM
04/08/08 08:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, to whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? I have no problem with your Fifield quote, except to say it doesn't address the reason why Jesus had to suffer and die on the cross.

I guessed you missed the point then. You'll notice that the topic of the discussion is "the atonement."

Quote:
No one, that I know of, is suggesting it had anything to do with making God love sinners.

This seems like an off the wall comment. Something must have motivated it. What?

Quote:
Most of the reasons people give as to why Jesus had to suffer and die on the cross have nothing to do with the atonement.

???

Quote:
Instead, their reasons explain why He had to live a sinless life, namely, to prove obeying the law in sinful flesh is perfectly doable.

What reasons? What are you talking about? The reason most people give that Christ had to die is what? Why is this important? What point are you wanting to make?

Quote:
Jesus did not suffer and die on the cross primarily to prove God is loving and worthy of worship. Yes, it serves that purpose, too. The primary reason why Jesus had to suffer and die on the cross was to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice. The following quotes make this point clear

There's nothing in the quote that would rank this reason as being higher or lower than any other reason. According to the SOP, the cross safeguarded the universe, and without it, the situation would have been as unstable as it was when Satan first made his accusations. That seems like a pretty important reason.

According to the SOP, the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission was the revelation of God. If that's the "whole purpose," then the purpose for His death must be encapsulated in that. That's pretty simple to see.

Another Fifield quote:

Quote:
Christ’s death was not the result of an outpouring of the Father’s wrath; it was the result of the world’s violation of the Father’s law of love. His death was simply the climax of his life. In every day’s labor of love he had been giving his life, his very heart and soul, to uplift and redeem humanity; but the hearts of men were so cold and hard through sin that they knew it not. On Calvary he completed the gift, while the world mocked at the foot of the cross.

He lived a perfectly unselfish life, in a world of sin and selfishness; and the world hated him because his life showed the selfishness and hypocrisy of its own. Paul said that if he preached circumcision, he would escape persecution, for then would the offense of the cross cease. So with Jesus; if he had turned to the right or the left from the straight line of truth, he might have escaped the crucifixion....

Ah, yes! we make a great mistake when we separate between the life and the death of Christ, or the life and the death of the Christian, as if they were two different things. We lose the consolation of the fact that as he was “made perfect through suffering,” so we, through this same suffering, are made one with him. As he was the mystery of God, God manifest in the flesh, so Paul says, “The riches of the glory of this mystery . . . is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” (Compare 1 Tim. 3:16 with Col. 1:27.)

Jesus was innocent. He suffered only for the sins of others. All his grief was bearing our griefs and carrying our sorrows, and this he did that he might bring us to God.
(God is Love, 48-49)

This is how I see things as well.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #97955
04/08/08 08:16 PM
04/08/08 08:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree that Christ's death was necessary to satisfy justice, that it was not enough for God simply to pardon man.

The following quote, from Fifield, addresses this issue. I'm assuming this may not be clear to you, so I'll comment on how it does this.

If pardon does not lead to obedience to the law, then it would serve to promote sin, rather than bring it to an end. This would not be satisfaction of justice, but of injustice. Such pardon would be worse than nothing. It would further the cause of Satan.

True pardon results in obedience to the law because it brings the law breaker into harmony with the Lawgiver. When the law is written in the heart, justice is served, because rebellion ceases.

Quote:
If the governor of a State should indiscriminately pardon all offenses against the law, it would absolutely abolish all restraint of law. The motive in his mind might be love, but that love would be so unwisely and imprudently manifested that it would lead to anarchy and misery. The same is true of the Governor of the universe. His love and his wisdom are one. His pardoning power must be so exercised in “wisdom and prudence” as to lead men to unity and joy, and not to anarchy and misery, else it is not love....

Sin is secession from the government of God. Satan seceded, and sought to exalt his throne above that of God. Sinners are those who have joined themselves to Satan’s forces in this secession. God, in infinite love, sends his own and only Son to put down the rebellion. He cannot pardon those who are still in rebellion, for this would but justify the rebellion and dishonor the law, and so perpetuate and multiply the misery. But through Jesus this rebellion is finally to be put down entirely. “The seed of the woman shall bruise the serpent’s head.” O’er every
hilltop of earth and heaven, where for a short time there has waved the black standard of the man of sin, there shall forever float the white pennon of the Prince of Peace.

Every one who lays down his arms and surrenders his opposing will to God has the promise of pardon. This pardon God can grant, and not dishonor his law. Yea, more, it is through this pardon that the mercy and love of God’s law and government are revealed,---a love that only commanded the right way, not to be arbitrary and domineering, but that men might be happy,---a love that when men repent of the wrong, and turn back their hearts toward the broken law, is ever willing to forgive the past and give power for future obedience. It is thus that God can be just, and still the justifier of those who believe on Jesus.2 It is thus that faith in Jesus exalts the law of God to the highest heavens, and establishes it forever. (God is Love 55)

Page 29 of 37 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!