HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 47 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 46 47
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97615
04/01/08 06:35 PM
04/01/08 06:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus is the God of the OT. It was Jesus who interacted with people in the OT. It was Jesus who orchestrated the deluge that killed millions of Antediluvians, the fiery destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, the deadly plagues of Egypt, the indiscriminate extermination of the Canaanites, etc.

But the question is - Why didn't Jesus explain His "strange" actions more clearly in the OT? Where in the OT does it explain why Jesus destroyed so many sinners? Why does the majority of the OT depict Jesus destroying sinners?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97616
04/01/08 06:36 PM
04/01/08 06:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
TE: What Jesus did was good. He fully revealed God, which is to say, He fully revealed what good is.

MM: No, Jesus didn't fully reveal God.

TE: We'll just have to disagree about this. I believe Jesus Christ fully revealed God.

I listed several things He did in the OT that He didn't do while here in the flesh. Surely you agree Jesus didn't do those things while here, right?

Quote:
"Whereas certain false teachers of his day were depicting Christ as one aspect of the display of God's fullness, Paul insists, as we have already seen, that "the whole fullness of deity" dwells in Christ (Col 2:9). No aspect of God's fullness was withheld from the incarnation. All we can and need to know about God is found in Christ, for God fully dwells in and is revealed in Christ.(Is God to Blame? by Greg Boyd, emphasis mine)

I think Dr. Boyd has this exactly right. Note how close this is to Ellen White's words: "All we can and need to know about God is found in Christ."

Dr. Boyd gives the reason: "for God fully dwells in and is revealed in Christ."

Again, this insight cannot mean Jesus revealed or demonstrated everything there is to know about God, or even everything we read about God in the OT. Jesus said certain things about Himself and His Father would have to wait until revealed by the Holy Spirit because the disciples weren't ready to see it:

John
16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.
16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show [it] unto you.
16:15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show [it] unto you.

What things, which truths, was Jesus unable to reveal because the disciples were unable to bear it? Which things and truths about God did the Holy Spirit reveal later on that Jesus didn't reveal early on? Can you name any of them?

Quote:
TE: "Has God ever destroyed sinners Himself?" As pointed out in GC chapter 1, yes.

MM: What are you referring to? How did God destroy sinners by himself?

TE: It's explained in the chapter, especially around pages 35-37.

What is explained? How did God destroy sinners Himself? What did He do to them that caused them to die?

Quote:
TE: When Jesus was asked to destroy his enemies with fire, His response was, "You know not of what spirit you are." Why do you think He said that?

MM: Because Jesus did not come as a conquering king. Instead, He came to show us to live in harmony with the law, and to die on the cross as our Substitute.

TE: Jesus came to show us what God is like, so we could be set right with Him.

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. (ST 1/20/90)

Quote:
No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like. (John 1:18)

The division you speak of arises when one resists the picture of God's character which Jesus gave.

If Jesus came to reveal to us what the Father is like, why, then, didn't He explain, while here in the flesh, why and how God destroyed sinners in the OT? All those OT stories cause people to fear God, right? Why didn't Jesus sit His disciples down and explain it to them in plain words?

Instead, Jesus seems to have exacerbated the problem by telling stories of His own that depict God punishing and destroying sinners at the end of time. "There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97630
04/01/08 09:07 PM
04/01/08 09:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I listed several things He did in the OT that He didn't do while here in the flesh. Surely you agree Jesus didn't do those things while here, right?

Well, this is my whole point. I don't agree with your interpretation of what happened in the OT precisely because you can't find examples of these things happening in Jesus' life.

Quote:
Again, this insight cannot mean Jesus revealed or demonstrated everything there is to know about God, or even everything we read about God in the OT.

That's exactly what it means. "All that man can know about God" has to include, at a very minimum "all that man can know about God which has been revealed in the O.T." How could it possibly not include that?

Quote:
Jesus said certain things about Himself and His Father would have to wait until revealed by the Holy Spirit because the disciples weren't ready to see it:

No, that's not what He said. You inserted "things about Himself and His Father."

Quote:
What things, which truths, was Jesus unable to reveal because the disciples were unable to bear it?

That He wasn't going to establish His kingdom on earth in their lifetime.

Quote:
Which things and truths about God did the Holy Spirit reveal later on that Jesus didn't reveal early on? Can you name any of them?

Of course not. All that man can know of God was revealed in Jesus Christ, so, of course, I can't name any things about God which Jesus did not reveal. If I could name something that Jesus Christ did not reveal, then the statement that all that can be known about God was revealed by Jesus Christ would be false, obviously.

Quote:
What is explained? How did God destroy sinners Himself?[/qutoe]

Yes. The actions that God Himself takes that leads to the destruction of those who reject Him is well explained in GC chapter 1. Also in DA 764.

[quote]If Jesus came to reveal to us what the Father is like, why, then, didn't He explain, while here in the flesh, why and how God destroyed sinners in the OT?

You doubt that Jesus came to reveal to us what the Father is like? You right "if," which implies doubt. Did you really mean "if," or would "since" be better?

Why do you assume Jesus did not explain the things you mentioned?

Quote:
All those OT stories cause people to fear God, right?

Many people react that way. Certainly God did not, and does not, want us to be afraid of Him.

Quote:
Why didn't Jesus sit His disciples down and explain it to them in plain words?

How do you know He didn't?

Quote:
Instead, Jesus seems to have exacerbated the problem by telling stories of His own that depict God punishing and destroying sinners at the end of time. "There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

You're free to look at things in this way. I disagree with your perspective.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97646
04/02/08 05:59 PM
04/02/08 05:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you're not addressing my questions. You're simply disagreeing with them. In the following quote Sister White says the execution of justice upon sinners is consistent with - Love your enemies.

GC 541
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. {GC 541.4}

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97675
04/03/08 12:27 AM
04/03/08 12:27 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
No, MM. I looked again, and I did respond to them. I didn't just disagree with them. I could go through each of them and explain why, if you'd like.

Regarding the GC 541 quote, this is one of my favorite quotes, and I've quoted it for you many times. Later on in the quote she writes:

Quote:
A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. (GC 543)

This whole section is presenting exactly the points I've been making. The exclusion of the wicked is voluntary with themselves. That means that they choose not to be in heaven. They do so because they don't like to be near God's presence, or around those who love God and His principles.

I see this entire description to be in perfect harmony with what Jesus Christ revealed of God during His time here in His life and teachings.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97717
04/03/08 05:20 PM
04/03/08 05:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, Tom, for answering my questions. I'm still do not understand what you believe about it. You seem to be saying God executes justice by manifesting mercy, by withholding judgment, by suspending punishment. But I also hear you saying God will eventually give them up and grant evil angles permission to destroy them. I also seem to recall you saying God has, on a few occasions, resorted to killing sinners Himself, that is, without allowing evil angels to do it (although I don't remember the example you cited).

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97721
04/03/08 05:48 PM
04/03/08 05:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Thank you, Tom, for answering my questions. I'm still do not understand what you believe about it. You seem to be saying God executes justice by manifesting mercy, by withholding judgment, by suspending punishment.

I told you I agree with what EGW wrote in GC 541-543. For example, she writes:

Quote:
A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God.

I believe this.

You're kind of mixing different subjects together. One subject is the final destruction of the wicked. Another is the punishment that comes upon the wicked in this life.

I wrote to you that the actions that God Himself takes in destroying the wicked are laid out in GC 35-37. This is not dealing with the final destruction of the wicked. GC 541-543 and DA 764 deal with this subject.

Basically, I believe that happened was that Satan sought to gain the homage of creatures God had made by deception; specifically, by misrepresenting God's character, by representing God to be such as himself, one who is harsh and self, who relies upon force to get his way, who will torture and kill those who do not do as he says. I believe Jesus Christ came to reveal the truth about what God was really like. He said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father."

So if we want to know how God deals with sin and sinners, we need merely look at how Jesus acted, and there's the answer.

Regarding the final judgment, EGW emphasizes, over and over and over again, that their destruction is due to their own choice. She writes that their exclusion from heaven is "voluntary" with themselves, that their destruction is not due to an imposed act of power on the part of God (she uses the "arbitrary," but that "imposed" is the intended meaning, as opposed to "capricious" is clear from the context).

I see that sin is a hideous monster that God is doing all that He can to save us from. I see that sin results in our destruction because it unfits us from being able to live with God, nor with those who love His principles.

I do not see that God teaches that He will burn us alive and kill us if we do not do what He says. I cannot see how such a thought can help but echo the lies that Satan has been telling about God, and result in a negative spiritual experience.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97832
04/06/08 03:51 PM
04/06/08 03:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
When you quote a reference, without explaining what it says and means to you personally, it leaves me wondering what you believe. I do not get the same thing out of them that you do.

1. You seem to be saying God executes justice by manifesting mercy, by withholding judgment, by suspending punishment.

2. You also seem to be saying there are times when God gives them up and grants evil angels permission to destroy them.

3. You also seem to be saying God has, on a few occasions, resorted to killing sinners Himself.

4. You also seem to be saying God handles the punishment and destruction of sinners in two different ways at two different times - 1) During probationary time, and 2) In the lake of fire at the end of time.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #97839
04/06/08 04:53 PM
04/06/08 04:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
When you quote a reference, without explaining what it says and means to you personally, it leaves me wondering what you believe. I do not get the same thing out of them that you do.

You often quote whole reams of SOP texts without any comment whatsoever. However, I appreciate your comment here, since I've so often made it to you.

In this particular case, this particular text, I've explained to you at least a dozen times. So there's no need to wonder what it means to me. It means to me what I've explained it to mean the times I've explained it.

Quote:
1. You seem to be saying God executes justice by manifesting mercy, by withholding judgment, by suspending punishment.

By manifesting mercy, yes. EGW says God's actions are "merciful."

Withholding judgment, no. I don't know where you got that idea from.

Suspending punishment, also no. I don't know what you're talking about. You assertion makes no sense. How would justice be executed by suspending punishment. Could you explain your thought here please? How are you reading what I've written to suggest this?

Quote:
2. You also seem to be saying there are times when God gives them up and grants evil angels permission to destroy them.

I've quoted this a number of times.

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control.(GC 35)

I dislike your wording. I like hers.

Quote:
3. You also seem to be saying God has, on a few occasions, resorted to killing sinners Himself.

If you mean by this that God acted violently, I didn't say that. I've maintained that God is not violent. I don't believe violence has any part in His kingdom. God does not use force to get His way. It is not a principle of His government.

Quote:
The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him. (DA 22)

Quote:
4. You also seem to be saying God handles the punishment and destruction of sinners in two different ways at two different times - 1) During probationary time, and 2) In the lake of fire at the end of time.

Yes, I agree with this. During probationary time, no sinners are destroyed (in a permanent sense). In the final judgment, they are. So this is quite different.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #97872
04/07/08 03:28 PM
04/07/08 03:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you mean God executes justice in a merciful manner, that when He executes judgment upon sinners He does it in a merciful way, like mercy killings? If so, then I totally agree. When God gave evil angels permission to use Romans to kill the Jews in AD 68 He gave specific marching orders - what they could and could not do. He didn't abandon them to the unbridled whims of Satan. There were certain things Satan could not do. The judgments of God were mixed and mingled with mercy. Do you agree?

Also, please give me an example of God acting in a nonviolent way to kill sinners Himself. Thank you.

Finally, what else is different about the judgments of God that befall sinners before and after the millennium?

Page 26 of 47 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 46 47

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!