HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (TheophilusOne, daylily, Karen Y, dedication, Dina), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 31 of 37 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 36 37
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: vastergotland] #98031
04/10/08 02:36 AM
04/10/08 02:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
From my perspective, God's whole point has been to bring sin to an end as quickly as possible, from as soon came into existence.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #98048
04/10/08 03:23 PM
04/10/08 03:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
TE: For example, God offered Lucifer pardon again and again, and gave him the chance to be restored to his position if he would confess his sin. This doesn't agree with your idea.

MM: You are misrepresenting the facts, Tom. Nowhere in the Bible is it taught that God is willing to pardon sin without shedding the blood of Jesus. Please prove your interpretation of the SOP from the Bible, otherwise stop citing it as if it is undisputed proof. Thank you.

We can discuss a topic from the standpoint of Scripture only, or we can include the Spirit of Prophecy. It's hardly reasonable for you to attempt to prove things using the Spirit of Prophecy, and then prohibit my using her. I'm stating her position to refute your claims as to her meaning.

You believe she taught that God could not legally pardon without Christ's dying. But she clearly didn't believe this, because she stated that God offered to pardon Lucifer again and again, without Christ's having died. There's no reason for me to prove this from Scripture, because your claim has to do with her position. So I'm refuting your interpretation of her position by using her own words.

Tom, you couldn't be more wrong about what she wrote. Please create a separate thread if you'd like to prove your point. Thank you.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: vastergotland] #98050
04/10/08 04:18 PM
04/10/08 04:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
1. What was the currency used to pay the price to redeem sinners?
TE: God's love and life given in Christ is the currency.

2. What was the price?
TE: The price was Jesus' life.

3. Who determined the ransom price?
TE: We required the sacrifice of Jesus' life in order to be saved.

4. When was the price paid?
TE: The price was paid when the life of Christ was given.

5. To whom was the price paid?
TE: I stated "not to whom, but for whom" and I also stated that it was for those whom God loved.

6. What was purchased?
TE: We were purchased, we being the human race.

7. What would have happened to A&E if Jesus hadn't agreed to pay the price to redeem sinners?
TE: If Christ had not given His life for the salvation of man, man would have been lost.

8. Why couldn't A&E or angels pay the price?
TE: The salvation of man requires the life of Christ, who was (and is) divine. An angel does not have salvific life to give to us.

Tom, in light of the following insights, I am having a hard time accepting your theory that Jesus had to die because we required it. Instead, these insights teach me law and justice required Jesus to pay the debt we owe, and the debt we owe is suffering and death proportionate to our sinfulness.

Jesus didn’t pay some other debt. He paid our debt in particular, as if He were a sinner paying the sinner’s debt in the lake of fire. Jesus is our substitute. He didn’t pay a debt we required of Him. Not at all. Jesus paid the debt we owe to law and justice, not a debt He owes to us.

He was engaged in paying the vast debt which man owed to God. The penalty must be exacted. The punishment has been endured by the sinner's substitute. He took the place of the transgressor, and suffered the penalty of justice that must fall upon him. Jesus suffered the extreme penalty of the law for our transgression, and justice was fully satisfied. Its demands have been met, its authority maintained. By paying our sin debt of death, Jesus removed a restraint from God’s love. His suffering and death allows the grace of God to act with unbounded efficiency.

The following quotes confirm these things:

He had come to take man's place, to pledge Himself in man's behalf, to pay the debt that sinners owed. {LHU 75.3}

His work in bearing the guilt of man's transgression was not to give him license to continue to violate the law of God; for transgression made man a debtor to the law, and Christ Himself was paying this debt by His own suffering. {Con 38.1}

Our salvation was wrought out by infinite suffering to the Son of God. His divine bosom received the anguish, the agony, the pain that the sinfulness of Adam brought upon the race. The heel of Christ was indeed bruised when His humanity suffered, and grief heavier than that which ever oppressed the beings He had created weighed down His soul as He was engaged in paying the vast debt which man owed to God. {HP 44.4}

Christ died because there was no other hope for the transgressor. He might try to keep God's law in the future; but the debt which he had incurred in the past remained, and the law must condemn him to death. Christ came to pay that debt for the sinner which it was impossible for him to pay for himself. Thus, through the atoning sacrifice of Christ, sinful man was granted another trial. {FW 30.1}

The God of justice did not spare His Son. . . . The whole debt for the transgression of God's law was demanded from our Mediator. A full atonement was required. How appropriate are the words of Isaiah, "It pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief." His soul was made "an offering for sin." "He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities" (Isa. 53:10, 5). {HP 15.2}

Jesus suffered the extreme penalty of the law for our transgression, and justice was fully satisfied. The law is not abrogated; it has not lost one jot of its force. Instead, it stands forth in holy dignity, Christ's death on the cross testifying to its immutability. Its demands have been met, its authority maintained. {HP 15.3}

The anguish that sin has brought was poured into the bosom of the Sinless; yet while Christ endured the contradiction of sinners against Himself, He was paying the debt for sinful man and breaking the bondage in which humanity had been held. Every pang of anguish, every insult, was working out the deliverance of the race. {PK 701.1}

When our Redeemer consented to take the cup of suffering in order to save sinners, His capacity for suffering was the only limitation to His suffering. . . . By dying in our behalf, He gave an equivalent for our debt. Thus He removed from God all charge of lessening the guilt of sin. By virtue of My oneness with the Father, He says, My suffering and death enable Me to pay the penalty of sin. By My death a restraint is removed from His love. His grace can act with unbounded efficiency. {TMK 69.3}

There are no saving properties in the law. It cannot pardon the transgressor. The penalty must be exacted. The Lord does not save sinners by abolishing His law, the foundation of His government in heaven and in earth. The punishment has been endured by the sinner's substitute. . . . In the councils of heaven, before the world was created, the Father and the Son covenanted together that if man proved disloyal to God, Christ, one with the Father, would take the place of the transgressor, and suffer the penalty of justice that must fall upon him (MS 145, 1897). {6BC 1070.4}

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #98051
04/10/08 04:21 PM
04/10/08 04:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, what do the following quotes mean to you? Please address the points she spells out. Thank you.

AG 139
Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

1BC 1086
In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin. The beasts for sacrificial offerings were to prefigure Christ. In the slain victim, man was to see the fulfillment for the time being of God's word, "Ye shall surely die" {1BC 1086.7}

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #98069
04/10/08 07:32 PM
04/10/08 07:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, you couldn't be more wrong about what she wrote.

I said that she wrote that God offered to pardon Lucifer again and again and offered him the opportunity to confess his sin before being banished from heaven.

Quote:
God in His great mercy bore long with Lucifer. He was not immediately degraded from his exalted station when he first indulged the spirit of discontent, nor even when he began to present his false claims before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in heaven. Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission. (GC 495)

Quote:
Satan had excited sympathy in his favor by representing that God had dealt unjustly with him in bestowing supreme honor upon Christ. Before he was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin, and submit to God's authority as just and righteous. (4SP 319)

Clearly what I stated is correct.

If you wish to start a separate thread to discuss this in more detail, that's fine. However, if you're going to make the point that according to her that God did not have the legal right to pardon those who transgressed His law without Christ's death, then why shouldn't I be able to refute your argument from her writings?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #98071
04/10/08 07:53 PM
04/10/08 07:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, in light of the following insights, I am having a hard time accepting your theory that Jesus had to die because we required it.

What you've stated here is not very clear. Since you're referring to this as my theory, here's how I would express the idea. One of the reasons Jesus died was to accomplish our salvation. He died to "bring us to God," as Peter put it.

Quote:
Instead, these insights teach me law and justice required Jesus to pay the debt we owe, and the debt we owe is suffering and death proportionate to our sinfulness.

I wouldn't say instead, but that this is simply expressing the same thought in different words.

Quote:
Jesus didn’t pay some other debt. He paid our debt in particular, as if He were a sinner paying the sinner’s debt in the lake of fire.

I thought your idea was that these deaths were different. Now you're equating them? I actually agree with what your saying this time.

Quote:
Jesus is our substitute. He didn’t pay a debt we required of Him. Not at all. Jesus paid the debt we owe to law and justice, not a debt He owes to us.

This is from C. S. Lewis:

Quote:
We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. That is the formula. That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed. Any theories we build up as to how Christ's death did all this are, in my view, quite secondary: mere plans or diagrams to be left alone if they do not help us, and, even if they do help us, not to be confused with the thing itself. All the same, some of these theories are worth looking at.

The one most people have heard is the one about our being let off because Christ volunteered to bear a punishment instead of us. Now on the face of it that is a very silly theory. If God was prepared to let us off, why on earth did He not do so? And what possible point could there be in punishing an innocent person instead? None at all that I can see, if you are thinking of punishment in the police-court sense. On the other hand, if you think of a debt, there is plenty of point in a person who has some assets paying it on behalf of someone who has not. Or if you take "paying the penalty," not in the sense of being punished, but in the more general sense of "footing the bill," then, of course, it is a matter of common experience that, when one person has got himself into a hole, the trouble of getting him out usually falls on a kind friend.

Now what was the sort of "hole" man had gotten himself into? He had tried to set up on his own, to behave as if he belonged to himself. In other words, fallen man is not simply an imperfect creature who needs improvement: he is a rebel who must lay down his arms. Laying down your arms, surrendering, saying you are sorry, realising that you have been on the wrong track and getting ready to start life over again from the ground floor - that is the only way out of a "hole." This process of surrender - this movement full speed astern - is what Christians call repentance. Now repentance is no fun at all. It is something much harder than merely eating humble pie. It means unlearning all the self-conceit and self-will that we have been training ourselves into for thousands of years. It means undergoing a kind of death. In fact, it needs a good man to repent. And here's the catch. Only a bad person needs to repent: only a good person can repent perfectly. The worse you are the more you need it and the less you can do it. The only person who could do it perfectly would be a perfect person - and he would not need it.

Remember, this repentance, this willing submission to humiliation and a kind of death, is not something God demands of you before He will take you back and which He could let you off of if He chose: it is simply a description of what going back to Him is like. If you ask God to take you back without it, you are really asking Him to let you go back without going back. It cannot happen. Very well, then, we must go through with it. But the same badness which makes us need it, makes us unable to do it. Can we do it if God helps us? Yes, but what do we mean when we talk of God helping us? We mean God putting into us a bit of Himself, so to speak. He lends us a little of His reasoning powers and that is how we think: He puts a little of His love into us and that is how we love one another. When you teach a child writing, you hold its hand while it forms the letters: that is, it forms the letters because you are forming them. We love and reason because God loves and reasons and holds our hand while we do it. Now if we had not fallen, that would all be plain sailing. But unfortunately we now need God's help in order to do something which God, in His own nature, never does at all - to surrender, to suffer, to submit, to die. Nothing in God's nature corresponds to this process at all. So that the one road for which we now need God's leadership most of all is a road God, in His own nature, has never walked. God can share only what He has: this thing, in His own nature, He has not.

But supposing God became a man - suppose our human nature which can suffer and die was amalgamated with God's nature in one person - then that person could help us. He could surrender His will, and suffer and die, because He was man; and He could do it perfectly because He was God. You and I can go through this process only if God does it in us; but God can do it only if He becomes man. Our attempts at this dying will succeed only if we men share in God's dying, just as our thinking can succeed only because it is a drop out of the ocean of His intelligence: but we cannot share God's dying unless God dies; and he cannot die except by being a man. That is the sense in which He pays our debt, and suffers for us what He Himself need not suffer at all.
(Why Did Jesus Have to Die?)

Quote:
He was engaged in paying the vast debt which man owed to God. The penalty must be exacted. The punishment has been endured by the sinner's substitute. He took the place of the transgressor, and suffered the penalty of justice that must fall upon him. Jesus suffered the extreme penalty of the law for our transgression, and justice was fully satisfied. Its demands have been met, its authority maintained. By paying our sin debt of death, Jesus removed a restraint from God’s love. His suffering and death allows the grace of God to act with unbounded efficiency.

I agree a lot more with C. S. Lewis' explanation than yours. Especially this point:

Quote:
Remember, this repentance, this willing submission to humiliation and a kind of death, is not something God demands of you before He will take you back and which He could let you off of if He chose: it is simply a description of what going back to Him is like.

Our whole problem is that we are not right with God. What needs to happen is that we be "brought to God," as Peter puts it. So God did what was necessary in order to accomplish this.

I still haven't seen you present anything from Jesus Christ in support of your ideas.

John wrote that no one has seen God at any time, and the One who knew Him best, who was in the bosom of the Father, His only begotten Son, has shown us what God is really like.

Jesus' theme was "the kingdom of God." Jesus taught that "the kingdom of God is within you." A wonderful verse which brings out what Jesus taught is the following:

Quote:
But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.(Luke 6:35)

Ellen White wrote that the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God, in order that man might be set right with Him. I see this truth throughout the Gospels. Jesus goal was to reveal the Father. He did so, and was able to say, "When you've seen Me, you've see the Father." This is the Gospel!

I see evidence for EGW's assertion, that the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God that we might be set right with God, everywhere in Jesus' life and teachings. I see no evidence anywhere in Jesus' life and teachings that God could not legally pardon us unless Christ died. I see much evidence disputing this theory. For example, Jesus pardoned the paralytic, without anyone dying to enable Jesus to be able to legally do this.

Also I've repeated pointed out that historically your assertion is impossible, unless you are setting forth the idea that nobody understood why Christ had to die until centuries after His death. Who can you cite before Calvin that expressed the idea that Christ had to die to effect God's ability to legally pardon?

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #98095
04/11/08 02:20 PM
04/11/08 02:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
Tom, you couldn't be more wrong about what she wrote.

I said that she wrote that God offered to pardon Lucifer again and again and offered him the opportunity to confess his sin before being banished from heaven.

Quote:
God in His great mercy bore long with Lucifer. He was not immediately degraded from his exalted station when he first indulged the spirit of discontent, nor even when he began to present his false claims before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in heaven. Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission. (GC 495)

Quote:
Satan had excited sympathy in his favor by representing that God had dealt unjustly with him in bestowing supreme honor upon Christ. Before he was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin, and submit to God's authority as just and righteous. (4SP 319)

Clearly what I stated is correct.

If you wish to start a separate thread to discuss this in more detail, that's fine. However, if you're going to make the point that according to her that God did not have the legal right to pardon those who transgressed His law without Christ's death, then why shouldn't I be able to refute your argument from her writings?

If you wish to prove Sister White said God was willing to pardon Lucifer after he was guilty of sinning, WITHOUT REQUIRING THE DEATH OF JESUS, then please do so. So far, however, all you have proven is that she said God was willing to pardon and reinstate Lucifer before he was guilty of open rebellion.

You have yet to prove she said God was willing to pardon and reinstate him after he was guilty of sinning without making it conditional upon him accepting the atoning, substitutionary death of Jesus, without making it dependent upon Jesus paying his sin debt of death.

In the absence of such a statement you have relied on piecing together unrelated statements to come up with a conclusion that you firmly believe supports your theory, namely, that God was willing to pardon Lucifer's sins and reinstate him without making it conditional upon him embracing Jesus' atoning, substitutionary death.

Based on this unbiblical theory (which you freely admit cannot be proven from the Bible), you go on to surmise, Jesus did not have to die for us to satisfy the legal demands of law and justice, that is, to give God the legal right to pardon and save penitent sinners. But all the quotes I have shared in my last few posts teach the exact opposite of your theory.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #98097
04/11/08 03:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
Tom, in light of the following insights, I am having a hard time accepting your theory that Jesus had to die because we required it.

TE: What you've stated here is not very clear. Since you're referring to this as my theory, here's how I would express the idea. One of the reasons Jesus died was to accomplish our salvation. He died to "bring us to God," as Peter put it.

Tom, it was you who wrote - "We required the sacrifice of Jesus' life in order to be saved." The way you state it makes me think you believe God would have been willing to save us in some other way except for the fact we required Him to die. What do you mean?

Quote:
Instead, these insights teach me law and justice required Jesus to pay the debt we owe, and the debt we owe is suffering and death proportionate to our sinfulness.

TE: I wouldn't say instead, but that this is simply expressing the same thought in different words.

Are you saying we required Jesus to suffer and die in proportion to the sins of the world? When did we do this, when did we say this to God?

If this is truly what we demanded, rather than law and justice demanding it, rather than God demanding it of Himself, why didn't Jesus fulfill the requirements? Jesus did not actually die the second death. Satan will die with our sins and second death in the lake of fire at the end of time.

Quote:
Jesus didn’t pay some other debt. He paid our debt in particular, as if He were a sinner paying the sinner’s debt in the lake of fire.

TE: I thought your idea was that these deaths were different. Now you're equating them? I actually agree with what your saying this time.

There was no fire or flames when Jesus tasted and conquered our second death on the cross. Again, Satan, not Jesus, is the one who will suffer and die with our sins and second death in the lake of fire. That's why there were fames when Jesus died on the cross. That's why Jesus didn't remain in the grave. On the cross, Jesus earned the legal right to own our sin and second death. As the legal, rightful owner He will eliminate them in the lake of fire with Satan.

Quote:

TE: I agree a lot more with C. S. Lewis' explanation than yours.

Do you agree Sister White's points? Each one of the following statements are taken from what she wrote in the quotes I posted above. Which one of these insights do you disagree with?

1. He was engaged in paying the vast debt which man owed to God.

2. The penalty must be exacted.

3. The punishment has been endured by the sinner's substitute.

4. He took the place of the transgressor, and suffered the penalty of justice that must fall upon him.

5 Jesus suffered the extreme penalty of the law for our transgression, and justice was fully satisfied.

6. Its demands have been met, its authority maintained.

7. By paying our sin debt of death, Jesus removed a restraint from God’s love.

8. His suffering and death allows the grace of God to act with unbounded efficiency.

Quote:
TE: Our whole problem is that we are not right with God. What needs to happen is that we be "brought to God," as Peter puts it. So God did what was necessary in order to accomplish this.

No, our "whole problem" is not that we need to be "brought to God". Being brought to God solves part of our problem, but it doesn't solve all of our problems, nor does it solve all of His problems. There is the matter of law and justice requiring punishment and death proportionate to the sinfulness of sinners. To pardon and save sinners, a divine substitute is required to suffer and conquer the death sinners owe to law and justice. By tasting and conquering death, Jesus paid the vast debt sinners owe to God for breaking the law.

Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.

A plan was devised that the sentence of death should rest upon a Substitute. In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin. In the slain victim, man sees the fulfillment of God's word, "Thou shalt surely die."

Quote:
TE: I still haven't seen you present anything from Jesus Christ in support of your ideas.

Neither have you shown from the NT that Jesus said He was willing to pardon Lucifer's sins without paying his sin debt of death. Besides, you do not accept what Jesus says through His prophets as coming from His own mouth. Also, the fact Jesus paid our sin debt of death on the cross speaks louder than words.

Quote:
TE: Also I've repeated pointed out that historically your assertion is impossible, unless you are setting forth the idea that nobody understood why Christ had to die until centuries after His death. Who can you cite before Calvin that expressed the idea that Christ had to die to effect God's ability to legally pardon?

If God could have pardoned sinners without Jesus having to pay their sin debt of death on the cross, He certainly would have done it. History clearly speaks to the fact Jesus had to die to pay the price to redeem sinners. No death, no redemption.

Pre-historically, Jesus and the Father agreed, before creating FMAs, that Jesus would shed His blood to ransom them should they sin. They made it plain to A&E - you sin, you die. It is the law, a law not even God can rescind or disregard.

The reason A&E did not die the instant they sinned is because Jesus paid their sin debt of death, thus releasing them from having to immediately pay it themselves. It provided the human race probationary time. It also gave God the legal right to pardon and save penitent sinners.

Law and justice would not have given God permission to pardon and save penitent sinners if Jesus had not paid the sinners sin debt of death. This is evident from the fact Jesus had to suffer and conquer death on the cross. Otherwise, it would not have been required.

God won back the allegiance and obedience of angels and mankind before Jesus suffered and died on the cross. Therefore, the primary reason Jesus had to suffer and die on the cross was not to prove God is loving and worthy of worship. He had already demonstrated these things before Jesus died on the cross. The main reason Jesus had to suffer and die on the cross was to pay our sin debt of death, to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #98098
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, what do the following quotes mean to you? Please address the points she spells out. Thank you.

AG 139
Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

1BC 1086
In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin. The beasts for sacrificial offerings were to prefigure Christ. In the slain victim, man was to see the fulfillment for the time being of God's word, "Ye shall surely die" {1BC 1086.7}

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #98109
04/11/08 05:57 PM
04/11/08 05:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
You have yet to prove she said God was willing to pardon and reinstate him after he was guilty of sinning without making it conditional upon him accepting the atoning, substitutionary death of Jesus, without making it dependent upon Jesus paying his sin debt of death.

1.That Lucifer was guilty of sinning is clear because:
a)He was given the opportunity to confess his sin.
b)God offered to pardon Him.

2.That EGW said that Christ did not have to die is evident by the fact that she did not say that Christ had to die.

Quote:
Based on this unbiblical theory (which you freely admit cannot be proven from the Bible), you go on to surmise, Jesus did not have to die for us to satisfy the legal demands of law and justice, that is, to give God the legal right to pardon and save penitent sinners.

Whoa! The Bible doesn't discuss this. The Spirit of Prophecy does. I could just as well ask you to prove from Scripture that your ideas regarding God's treatment of Lucifer are Scriptural, and you could prove nothing about because it is not discussed. So this is a pointless request.

Quote:
But all the quotes I have shared in my last few posts teach the exact opposite of your theory.

It's not my theory. It's her theory. She is the one who says that God offered to pardon Lucifer again and again. She is the one who says that God offered to restore Lucifer after He had confessed his sin. She is the one who doesn't say anything about Christ's having to die in order for God to be able to legally pardon Lucifer.

Therefore your interpretation of the quotes, that God cannot legally pardon sin without Christ's death, is suspect.

Regarding unbiblical theories, I've been requesting for some time now that you produce something from Scripture which teaches that God cannot legally pardon without Christ's death, but you haven't produced any Scripture from statement which says this. In particular, if your theory were true, one would expect that Christ would have explained this meaning of His death. But where is such an idea to be found from Christ's teachings?

I've also brought to your attention that your theory is not historically viable. That is, the idea you are suggesting, that God could not legally pardon without Christ's death was not articulated before a certain time, probably the 16th century. So if this idea were true, why wouldn't someone have articulated it?

Page 31 of 37 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!