HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 55 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 54 55
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #98697
04/26/08 01:39 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
"The invisible things of Him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even His everlasting power and divinity." Romans 1:20, A.R.V.The things of nature that we now behold give us but a faint conception of Eden's glory. Sin has marred earth's beauty; on all things may be seen traces of the work of evil. Yet much that is beautiful remains. Nature testifies that One infinite in power, great in goodness, mercy, and love, created the earth, and filled it with life and gladness. Even in their blighted state, all things reveal the handiwork of the great Master Artist. Wherever we turn, we may hear the voice of God, and see evidences of His goodness. (MH 411)

How EGW interprets the passage in Romans 1 is how I see it as well. Nature testifies of God, and reveals One "infinite in power, great in goodness, mercy, and love."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98698
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
Tom, I agree polygamy is not God's ideal for men and women. The SOP makes it clear, but the Bible doesn't.

Yes it does. It is clear from Genesis, where it says that in the beginning God created Adam, gave him Eve as her wife, and the two became one flesh. This is the argument Jesus gave regarding marriage in speaking of divorce, and the same argument applies to polygamy (if anything, being even easier to see in this regard).

Do you eat vegetables? It is clear from Genesis that vegetables were not included in the original diet. Vegetables were intended for the animals, but man was given fruits, nuts, and grains.

• And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. (Genesis 1:29, KJV)
  • And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so. (Genesis 1:30, KJV)

In other words, the animals could eat spinach, lettuce, cabbage and kale, but we were given the seed-containing fruits (and nuts).

Is it a sin, therefore, to eat vegetables? This is an important point, I feel, because whereas God gave Adam one wife, He gave no specific commandment that there should be one and only one. Here, however, we have God's specific statement that the fruits were given us for food, in addition to the fact that God created the fruit trees for us.

Oh--and on the matter of counting "one," don't forget what Paul writes in the Corinthians about harlots.
  • What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. (1 Corinthians 6:16, KJV)

How many "ones" do you suppose she would have? (This is a good math principle for you, right?! One + One = ONE!)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98699
04/26/08 01:42 AM
04/26/08 01:42 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Quote:
"The invisible things of Him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even His everlasting power and divinity." Romans 1:20, A.R.V.The things of nature that we now behold give us but a faint conception of Eden's glory. Sin has marred earth's beauty; on all things may be seen traces of the work of evil. Yet much that is beautiful remains. Nature testifies that One infinite in power, great in goodness, mercy, and love, created the earth, and filled it with life and gladness. Even in their blighted state, all things reveal the handiwork of the great Master Artist. Wherever we turn, we may hear the voice of God, and see evidences of His goodness. (MH 411)

How EGW interprets the passage in Romans 1 is how I see it as well. Nature testifies of God, and reveals One "infinite in power, great in goodness, mercy, and love."

EGW is not disagreeing with Paul, nor with me. Neither is she saying quite what you have been trying to say.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #98701
04/26/08 01:49 AM
04/26/08 01:49 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
My point was nothing different than the following: "Nature testifies of God, and reveals One 'infinite in power, great in goodness, mercy, and love.'"

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98705
04/26/08 01:56 AM
04/26/08 01:56 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
My point was nothing different than the following: "Nature testifies of God, and reveals One 'infinite in power, great in goodness, mercy, and love.'"

Well, I can agree with that much. Where I will differ is if we try to take it so far as to say that nature alone teaches such things as the Ten Commandments.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #98709
04/26/08 02:35 AM
04/26/08 02:35 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Well, I can agree with that much. Where I will differ is if we try to take it so far as to say that nature alone teaches such things as the Ten Commandments.

That hasn't been my point.

Here's some background. MM and I have been discussing things here for quite awhile, so it can happen that we say things that someone new might not understand because he and I have a history, and may be assuming some things not in evidence, so to speak (i.e., some things not stated in this thread).

(MM, if I misrepresent your viewpoint in the following synopsis in any way, please correct what I've written)

MM has a theory that no one can break any of the last 6 commandments ignorantly, ever. He believes that everybody knows everything that can be know about them by instinct. He believes the first 4 commandments must be learned, and we know nothing about them by instinct.

I think this is too simplistic in both directions. I believe that some of what the commandments teach, whether the first 4 or last 6 I make no distinction, is known by instinct (except the 4th, which seems clear must be taught). I believe we can break any of the commandments in ignorance.

My point in Rom. 1 was to give an example to disprove MM's assertion that nothing about God can be known apart from being taught by Scripture. What I understand Romans 1 to be saying is that, to use EGW's words (since we are in agreement on this point) "Nature testifies of God, and reveals One 'infinite in power, great in goodness, mercy, and love.'"

I understand Paul to be saying that no one is without excuse in regards to not recognizing God and giving Him thanks because of things He has shown them, things which are testified to by nature. I infer from this that if no one is without excuse, when they do not thank God, that this means that anyone is able to conclude that God should be recognized and thanked, and that some will in fact choose to do so and be saved, even though they have never read Scripture nor heard of Jesus Christ.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98715
04/26/08 05:41 AM
04/26/08 05:41 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Thank you. That does clarify your positions for me, and now I think I understand the conversation better.

I also agree with nearly all of what you have just said. One small caveat: I think it will be necessary for you to accept that the one whom the scripture-less praise and/or thank may be called Buddha, or Lao-tse, or Confucious, or Allah, or Great Spirit, or a host of other names which are used by those who may be in ignorance of God's name. And, yes, I agree that some of these people, who have followed the truth as best they have known it, will be acceptable to God. But we missionaries are sent to fulfill Romans 10, which implies that we are not saved without hearing of the Word of God. I don't suppose even you would think it were quite safe to pray, for example, to Mary or to Fatima and to thank them in place of invoking the name of God. What a privilege we have in knowing the truth through the Scriptures!

Blessings,

Green Cochoa

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #98716
04/26/08 12:47 PM
04/26/08 12:47 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You bring up an interesting point, which I think is easy to address, and of crucial importance to understand for a missionary. The question is, if one can be saved without a missionary, why send one?

First of all, can one be saved without a missionary?

Quote:
Among the heathen are those who worship God ignorantly, those to whom the light is never brought by human instrumentality, yet they will not perish. Though ignorant of the written law of God, they have heard His voice speaking to them in nature, and have done the things that the law required. Their works are evidence that the Holy Spirit has touched their hearts, and they are recognized as the children of God.(DA 638)

This is clear enough. Yes. One can be saved without a missionary. I understand Paul to be saying the same thing. So why the missionary then?

Two points. One is that although it is *possible* to be saved without the missionary, how likely is that to happen compared to the likelihood of one's being saved who has heard the Gospel, or who knows Jesus Christ? Surely the one who has heard the Gospel has a much, much better chance than one who has not.

Secondly, ignorance abounds in regards to God's character. The more we can teach the truth about our wonderful God, the more:

a.likely a person hearing the truth will be saved.
b.likely that person will tell others the good news he's heard.
c.better off the person will be in their spiritual life, irrespective of the question of being saved.

In regards to c, I have something like the following in mind:

Quote:
It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him.(DA 480)

This is the true picture of a follower of Christ. This will be the makeup of the 144,000. They will have a concern for God's honor, for Christ to receive His kingdom in glory, not so they can "go home in glory," but so that He can be crowned King of Kings and Lord of Lords, to receive the honor due Him for so great salvation He has given us at such great cost.

Our commission as Seventh-day Adventists is to prepare the world for the coming of Christ by means of a message God has given us in order to do so. This message cannot be delivered by nature alone.

So there is a great work for missionaries. I think what you are doing there is a tremendous thing.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98717
04/26/08 02:09 PM
04/26/08 02:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you did a good job of representing the view I believe in. People can study nature, without a knowledge of the Bible, and get the feeling a higher power of some sort created it. But, and this is where you and I disagree, it will not occur to them that Jesus is that higher power or god. Besides, no one on earth is totally void of knowledge. Stories have been handed down from generation to generation dating back to Noah.

Also, the law of Moses speaks about polygamy. It also speaks bout stoning people to death. It also speaks about slavery. It speaks about things we no longer practice today. And yet the law of Moses was as binding as the 10Cs. Why do you say certain aspects of it violates the 10Cs?

By the way, I answered your question as to which commandments, under certain circumstances, I believe polygamy violates - the first three. I also gave the reasons why.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #98720
04/26/08 07:00 PM
04/26/08 07:00 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, you did a good job of representing the view I believe in.

Good! I try to be accurate in presenting the views of others. I'm glad to hear you say this.

Quote:
Why do you say certain aspects of it violates the 10Cs?

You said that. I said the reverse, that God wouldn't command that someone do something contrary to His will, something which violates the moral law.

Quote:
By the way, I answered your question as to which commandments, under certain circumstances, I believe polygamy violates - the first three. I also gave the reasons why.

The seventh commandment was given as a protection to marriage. Polygamy is a sin because it is contrary to God's ideal viz a viz marriage. God creates Adam, and gave him one wife. The two were to become one flesh. This is easy to see.

Why would you think that that polygamy does not violate the law protecting marriage, but, rather, takes God's name in vain? This seems to me to be a very odd way of looking at things. I'm curious, can you cite even one other person who see things in this way?

Page 10 of 55 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!