HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 34 of 47 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 46 47
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #98859
04/29/08 10:59 PM
04/29/08 10:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: You seem to be suggesting that Jesus did not reveal that God destroys by literal fire those who disobey Him because this is something which couldn't be comprehended. Am I understanding you correctly?

MM: Jesus did not reveal this aspect of God's character while here in flesh because it conflicted with the purpose of His messianic mission. He came to save us from our sins, not to destroy us with them. There is a time and place for everything. The time and place to destroy sin and sinners is after the millennium.

The disciples were not ready to understand the truth about God's justice and judgment. They were all too ready to wield the sword. True, Jesus spoke often about the destruction of sin and sinners at the end of time, but He focused more on the grace and mercy of God. If Jesus had gone about executing justice and judgment, the disciples would not have understood the truth about grace and mercy. And, they would have totally misunderstand the truth about justice and judgment, too.

Luke
3:17 Whose fan [is] in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.
9:56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save [them]. And they went to another village.

Revelation
14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Hebrews
9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Hebrews
10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #98860
04/29/08 11:02 PM
04/29/08 11:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
We've discussed many of these issue. I'll address one, the last plagues.

Quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. (14 MR 3)

The plagues come about as God withdraws his protection.

Tom, the quote you posted is not talking about the 7 last plagues. You cannot cite this reference and assume it explains all the different ways God has executed justice and judgment since the beginning of time. The following quotes make it clear God uses both holy and evil angels to accomplish His purposes in executing justice and judgment.

God's judgments were awakened against Jericho. It was a stronghold. But the Captain of the Lord's host Himself came from heaven to lead the armies of heaven in an attack upon the city. Angels of God laid hold of the massive walls and brought them to the ground.--3T 264 (1873). {LDE 243.1}

Under God the angels are all-powerful. On one occasion, in obedience to the command of Christ, they slew of the Assyrian army in one night one hundred and eighty-five thousand men.--DA 700 (1898). {LDE 243.2}

The same angel who had come from the royal courts to rescue Peter had been the messenger of wrath and judgment to Herod. The angel smote Peter to arouse him from slumber. It was with a different stroke that he smote the wicked king, laying low his pride and bringing upon him the punishment of the Almighty. Herod died in great agony of mind and body, under the retributive judgment of God.--AA 152 (1911). {LDE 243.3}

A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere.--GC 614 (1911). {LDE 243.4}

In addition to this insight is the biblical testimony recorded in the Revelation. The prophecy plainly says holy angels will pour out the 7 last plagues when God gives them the order to do so. Here's how it is described:

Revelation
15:1 And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvellous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God.
15:6 And the seven angels came out of the temple, having the seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles.
15:7 And one of the four beasts gave unto the seven angels seven golden vials full of the wrath of God, who liveth for ever and ever.
15:8 And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God, and from his power; and no man was able to enter into the temple, till the seven plagues of the seven angels were fulfilled.
16:1 And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.

Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
TE: I guess I'll also mention that I do not believe that Moses was working by the power of Satan in the judgments against the rebels. This is the earthquake one, right? I can think of two explanations in harmony with what Jesus Christ revealed.

1.God knew the earthquake would happen, and did nothing to prevent it.

2.God had been preventing an earthquake from happening, but ceased holding it back.

Regarding how you view things, what actions that Christ took during His life would correspond to your ideas?

Actually, I was referring to the fire that came out of "the cloud of glory" and killed the 250 sinners. Attributing this to Satan is what sealed the doom of the 14,000 who died during the plague. I assume you do not believe Satan had a hand in the fire that killed them. But where did this literal fire come from? She says it came out of the cloud of glory.

Can you explain away this fire citing some natural law or occurrence? Do you dare?

Your view regarding the earth opening up and killing the sinners is quite fanciful. Where in the Bible or the SOP is such a thing described? I mean, where is it taught that God simply allowed an earthquake to kill the sinners? Besides, it wasn't even an earthquake. Moses prayed for "a new thing" to happen to prove beyond doubt that their death and destruction was of God and not something that could be explained away as natural, as you are attempting to do. Here is how it is described:

Quote:
And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that the Lord hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind. If these men die the common death of all men, or if they be visited after the visitation of all men, then the Lord hath not sent me. But if the Lord make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit, then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the Lord." As Moses ceased speaking, the earth opened and swallowed them up, and their tents, and all that pertained unto them. They went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed over them, and they perished from among the congregation. {4aSG 31.2}

As the children of Israel heard the cry of the perishing ones, they fled at a great distance from them. They knew that they were in a measure guilty, for they had received the accusations against Moses and Aaron, and they were afraid that they should also perish with them. The judgment of God was not yet finished. A fire came from the cloud of glory and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense. They were princes; that is, men generally of good judgment, and of influence in the congregation, men of renown. They were highly esteemed, and their judgment had often been sought in difficult matters. But they were affected by a wrong influence, and became envious, jealous and rebellious. They perished not with Korah, Dathan, and Abiram, because they were not the first in rebellion. They were to see their end first, and have an opportunity of repenting of their crime. But they were not reconciled to the destruction of those wicked men, and the wrath of God came upon them, and destroyed them also. {4aSG 32.1}

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #98863
04/29/08 11:15 PM
04/29/08 11:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
TE: No, MM, I don't know. I certainly wouldn't repeat it if I didn't think it were true. My understanding is that you believe that the wicked will pay for their sins, that is, God will punish them, by literally setting them on fire and continue burning them until they have been sufficiently punished. Is this inaccurate? If so, please correct my misunderstanding.

MM:I have repeatedly said it is speculating to assume God will keep them alive supernaturally in the lake of fire. We are told the wicked will suffer in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness in fire God rains down from above and in fire that comes up from below. That's it. We aren't told how He will do it. I realize you think you know how He does it, but you are piecing together unrelated passages to arrive at an unbiblical conclusion.

TE: How is what I'm saying (above) different from what you are saying? Or, more to the point, in what way is what I said (above in this post) incorrectly presenting your viewpoint? Or is it?

You wrote, "God will punish them, by literally setting them on fire and continue burning them until they have been sufficiently punished." Nowhere does it say God will set them on fire or continue burning them. It simply says what I wrote above. That's the difference.

Quote:
TE: Jesus never revealed, during in His life with us in the flesh, that God kills people with literal fire. We both agree this is true.

Obviously we cannot both agree it is true. I explained why.

Quote:
MM: Just because a bunch of Pharisees and Sadducees developed distorted views about God's character it does not mean the Old Testament is to blame. Jesus pleaded with the people to study the Old Testament. He didn't warn them to be careful not to be deceived by the perverted views it contains.

TE: I'll give you an example of my point.

Quote:
54And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

55But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

56For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village. (Luke 9:54-56)

The way the disciples that God dealt with rejection, on the basis of their faulty understanding of the Old Testament, was by sending fire from heaven to destroy them. But they didn't realize this is Satan's way, not God's. So Jesus revealed the truth to them, that God does not destroy mens' lives, but saves them.

Jesus revealed the way that God deals with rejection. He calmly departed to another village.

While here in the flesh, when did Jesus withdraw His protection and allow sinners to die?

While here in the flesh, when did Jesus lead an army of angels to destroy the walls of a city which killed sinners in the process?

God's judgments were awakened against Jericho. It was a stronghold. But the Captain of the Lord's host Himself came from heaven to lead the armies of heaven in an attack upon the city. Angels of God laid hold of the massive walls and brought them to the ground.--3T 264 (1873). {LDE 243.1}

While here in the flesh, when did Jesus command holy angels to kill the armies of the enemy?

Under God the angels are all-powerful. On one occasion, in obedience to the command of Christ, they slew of the Assyrian army in one night one hundred and eighty-five thousand men.--DA 700 (1898). {LDE 243.2}

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #98876
04/30/08 02:22 AM
04/30/08 02:22 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
You wrote, "God will punish them, by literally setting them on fire and continue burning them until they have been sufficiently punished." Nowhere does it say God will set them on fire or continue burning them. It simply says what I wrote above. That's the difference.

Don't you believe God sets the wicked on fire? You do believe they are set on fire, right? If it's not God who does this, who is it?

Don't you believe God rains fire on them from heaven, and they burst into flames? If so, this is certainly equivalent to saying that God sets them on fire. If not, what do you believe?

Quote:
TE: Jesus never revealed, during in His life with us in the flesh, that God kills people with literal fire. We both agree this is true.

Obviously we cannot both agree it is true. I explained why.

I wrote, "Jesus never revealed, during in His life with us in the flesh, that God kills people with literal fire." Do you disagree with this? (just this one sentence; suppose it was someone else who wrote it besides me).

Quote:
While here in the flesh, when did Jesus withdraw His protection and allow sinners to die?

While here in the flesh, when did Jesus lead an army of angels to destroy the walls of a city which killed sinners in the process?

While here in the flesh, when did Jesus command holy angels to kill the armies of the enemy?

IMO, you're going at this backwards. Look at what Christ did in the flesh, and that's what God did in the OT. This is what it means to say, "All that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His son." Or, to put it another way, this is what is meant when Jesus said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father."

Jesus and the Father are one. God the Father is just like Jesus Christ. God acts no differently than Jesus Christ acted while with us in the flesh. This is, in reality, what God is really like.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #98886
04/30/08 03:43 PM
04/30/08 03:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

TE: Don't you believe God sets the wicked on fire? You do believe they are set on fire, right? If it's not God who does this, who is it? Don't you believe God rains fire on them from heaven, and they burst into flames? If so, this is certainly equivalent to saying that God sets them on fire. If not, what do you believe?

Again, we are told the wicked will suffer in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness in fire God rains down from above and in fire that comes up from below. That's it. We aren't told how He will do it. We aren't told how they suffer in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness.

I agree that it is difficult to imagine how humans and angels can be in a lake of fire together and not burn up at the same time. But this doesn't give us the right to assume the fire isn't literal. The inspired descriptions of the lake of fire are too clear to ignore, to spiritualize away, or to twist to mean something other than what they plainly say.

Quote:

MM: Obviously we cannot both agree it is true. I explained why.

TE: I wrote, "Jesus never revealed, during in His life with us in the flesh, that God kills people with literal fire." Do you disagree with this? (just this one sentence; suppose it was someone else who wrote it besides me).

I cannot divorce this statement from the context of this discussion. So, no, I do not agree with it. If you worded it the way I suggested earlier I would have no problem with it. Jesus did not demonstrate, while here in the flesh, the fact God has destroyed sinners with literal fire.

Quote:

TE: IMO, you're going at this backwards. Look at what Christ did in the flesh, and that's what God did in the OT. This is what it means to say, "All that man can know of God was revealed in the life and character of His son." Or, to put it another way, this is what is meant when Jesus said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father."

Jesus and the Father are one. God the Father is just like Jesus Christ. God acts no differently than Jesus Christ acted while with us in the flesh. This is, in reality, what God is really like.

Tom, you are in essence asking me to ignore the obvious meaning of what Sister White wrote. You are asking me to interpret what she wrote in a way that totally contradicts what she wrote. Is that right or safe?

For example, you are asking me to read the following passage to mean Jesus commanded the angels to simply stop preventing the walls from falling on sinners and killing them.

For example, you are asking me to read the following passage to mean Jesus commanded the angels to simply stop preventing sinners from dying of natural causes.

All right, let's assume, for the sake of discussion, that Sister White expected us to interpret what she wrote above to mean Jesus commanded the angles to simply stop preventing things from happening that naturally cause people to suffer and die. Did Jesus demonstrate this aspect of God's character while sojourning here in the flesh? If not, why not?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #98887
04/30/08 03:47 PM
04/30/08 03:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please address #98859 and #98860. Thank you.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #98903
04/30/08 06:09 PM
04/30/08 06:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: You seem to be suggesting that Jesus did not reveal that God destroys by literal fire those who disobey Him because this is something which couldn't be comprehended. Am I understanding you correctly?

MM: Jesus did not reveal this aspect of God's character while here in flesh because it conflicted with the purpose of His messianic mission.

This disagrees with both Scripture and the SOP. From Scripture we read that Jesus came to "show us what God is really like." (John 1:18 CEV). Jesus claimed to have done so in His prayer of John 17, and earlier in John when He said, "When You've seen Me, You've seen the Father."

From the SOP we read that *all* that man can know about God was revealed by Jesus Christ. Yet you believe not all was revealed, but just some, because some things, such as things that you are in disagreement with me regarding, weren't revealed.

Clearly you have to take this position, or else admit that the ideas don't agree with what Jesus taught. But, this isn't what the statement says:

Quote:
Only that which He sees fit to reveal can we comprehend of Him. Reason must acknowledge an authority superior to itself. Heart and intellect must bow to the great I AM. All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (8T 286)

There's really no way should could have said any more clearly or emphatically that all that we can know about God was revealed by Jesus Christ. Note she said "only that which He sees fit to reveal can we comprehend." The natural question is, "What did He see fit to reveal?" The answer is, that which Christ revealed. This is the clear line of thought.

You're suggesting Christ deliberately didn't reveal certain things about God. Then, from the statement, these are things we can't comprehend.

Quote:
He came to save us from our sins, not to destroy us with them. There is a time and place for everything. The time and place to destroy sin and sinners is after the millennium.

God doesn't change. There's a principle involved here, which is that God is a Savior, not a Destroyer. Sin/Satan destroys, not God.

Quote:
Satan is the destroyer; the Lord is the Restorer.

This is an aspect of character, not of circumstances.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #98911
04/30/08 07:22 PM
04/30/08 07:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding post #98860

Quote:
I saw that the four angels would hold the four winds until Jesus' work was done in the sanctuary, and then will come the seven last plagues. (EW 36)

Quote:
When He leaves the sanctuary, darkness covers the inhabitants of the earth. In that fearful time the righteous must live in the sight of a holy God without an intercessor. The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed, and Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent. God's long-suffering has ended. The world has rejected His mercy, despised His love, and trampled upon His law. The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation; the Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn. Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one. Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose. The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old.

Quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. (14 MR 3)

These sure look similar to me. Since the last quote does not specifically use the word "plague," we'll set it aside for now. From the first quote we see that:

1.The four angels would hold the four winds until Jesus' work was done in the sanctuary, and then will come the seven last plagues.
2.The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed.
3.Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent.
4.The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn.
5.Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one.
6.Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble.
7.As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose.
8.The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old.

It's interesting that she references the destruction of Jerusalem, because we see the same principles at work.

Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control. (GC 35)

Just replace "the Jews" with "the finally impenitent." Just as there are those who attribute the destruction of Jerusalem to God, when in reality Satan was responsible, so there are those who do the same thing for the plagues. But the principle is the same in both events, which is that God protects the wicked, and when He removes that protection chaos ensues.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #98914
04/30/08 08:26 PM
04/30/08 08:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: Don't you believe God sets the wicked on fire? You do believe they are set on fire, right? If it's not God who does this, who is it? Don't you believe God rains fire on them from heaven, and they burst into flames? If so, this is certainly equivalent to saying that God sets them on fire. If not, what do you believe?

MM:Again, we are told the wicked will suffer in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness in fire God rains down from above and in fire that comes up from below. That's it.

So you are, indeed, affirming that God sets them on fire, which is what I said.

Quote:
We aren't told how He will do it. We aren't told how they suffer in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness.

I agree that it is difficult to imagine how humans and angels can be in a lake of fire together and not burn up at the same time. But this doesn't give us the right to assume the fire isn't literal. The inspired descriptions of the lake of fire are too clear to ignore, to spiritualize away, or to twist to mean something other than what they plainly say.

So you agree the fire is literal. I don't see what there is to disagree about in regards to my characterization of your view. God sets the wicked on fire and keeps them on fire until He's through punishing them, at which point they die. That's how you see things, isn't it?

Quote:
TE: I wrote, "Jesus never revealed, during in His life with us in the flesh, that God kills people with literal fire." Do you disagree with this? (just this one sentence; suppose it was someone else who wrote it besides me).

I cannot divorce this statement from the context of this discussion. So, no, I do not agree with it. If you worded it the way I suggested earlier I would have no problem with it. Jesus did not demonstrate, while here in the flesh, the fact God has destroyed sinners with literal fire.

"Has" isn't good. "Will" would be better. E.g. "Jesus did not demonstrate, while here in the flesh, the fact God will destroy sinners with literal fire." You agree with that, right?

Quote:
All right, let's assume, for the sake of discussion, that Sister White expected us to interpret what she wrote above to mean Jesus commanded the angles to simply stop preventing things from happening that naturally cause people to suffer and die. Did Jesus demonstrate this aspect of God's character while sojourning here in the flesh? If not, why not?

Yes. We've discussed this, and I cited a number of examples.

Let's start with just one point for now. When God is mistreated, how does He respond? Does He smite His enemies? Or does He simply withdraw?

There are a number of things to consider in relation to God's character. For example:

1.How are the wicked destroyed?
2.How does Christ's death save us?
3.What causes the last seven plagues?
4.How should we understand the episodes in Scripture where God is said to have done this or that destructive thing?
5.How should we understand the episodes in Scripture where God is said to have commanded people to do this and that (violent things)?

Without question, the most difficult of these to understand are the last two. So I'm proposing we stick to the first three. I see no possibility that we will agree on points 4 or 5 if we disagree regarding the first 3.

One further comment is that if one is comfortable with idea of God's doing that which is attributed to Him, just as things appear to be on the surface, then one won't see any reason to interpret things in any other way. The question only comes up when one considers what Christ lived and taught and sees a disconnect between that and the common understanding of what happened in the OT. If one sees no disconnect, that sort of ends the conversation.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #98933
05/01/08 03:57 PM
05/01/08 03:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
"Only that which He sees fit to reveal can we comprehend of Him. Reason must acknowledge an authority superior to itself. Heart and intellect must bow to the great I AM. All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (8T 286)

TE: There's really no way should could have said any more clearly or emphatically that all that we can know about God was revealed by Jesus Christ. Note she said "only that which He sees fit to reveal can we comprehend." The natural question is, "What did He see fit to reveal?" The answer is, that which Christ revealed. This is the clear line of thought.

You're suggesting Christ deliberately didn't reveal certain things about God. Then, from the statement, these are things we can't comprehend.

Why do you omit the phrase "needs to know"? There are countless things to know about God, but what are the things about His character that are essential for us to know? And, why is it critical for us to know them about God?

Would it prevent us from experiencing rebirth and salvation if we were unable to learn and comprehend the things about God's character that are important for us to know? Why do we have the need to know? Does our salvation depend on us knowing and comprehending them?

What are some of the aspects of God's character that are *not* essential to our salvation to know and comprehend? What are some of the aspects of His character that God did not see fit to reveal to us, aspects that He expects us to humbly accept we are simply unable at this time to comprehend?

Whatever aspects of His character God saw fit not to reveal or explain to us at this time are the same aspects we should expect not to see demonstrated in the life of Christ while He was here in the flesh. God expects us to rest satisfied with not knowing or being able to comprehend those aspects of His character He has not seen fit to reveal to us at this time.

Page 34 of 47 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 46 47

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!