HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 55 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 54 55
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98722
04/26/08 07:28 PM
04/26/08 07:28 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I happen to see things somewhat the way MountainMan does on the issue of polygamy. Whether we like it or not, there are certain "sins" in the Bible which are simply permitted and/or not expressly condemned as being sin. They are, in fact, at times commanded or governed by rules of moderation. Polygamy is one of these "gray areas." Other "sins" in a similar category include:

1) Eating meat/flesh foods
2) Killing people as an act of war, justice, or self-defense
3) Wearing jewelry
4) Drinking alcoholic beverages
5) Being "rich and increased with goods"

Most of these things were commanded at times in the Bible, in certain circumstances. For example, "Thou shalt not kill" is followed by verses saying things like "But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death."

Since the Bible was not clear, cut and dried on these issues, they will provoke debates for as long as people do not reach higher plains in their spiritual walk and rise above them, and for as long as others try to promote their non-biblical views that such things were cut and dried, and clearly forbidden in scripture.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #98728
04/27/08 01:50 AM
04/27/08 01:50 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I happen to see things somewhat the way MountainMan does on the issue of polygamy. Whether we like it or not, there are certain "sins" in the Bible which are simply permitted and/or not expressly condemned as being sin.

This isn't the issue of disagreement in this topic. The point MM made that I am disagreeing is that polygamy is a sin (meaning a violation of the 10 commandments) but not a violation of the 7th commandment.

That polygamy is a sin, we (MM and I) are in agreement.

Please note the topic question is, "Does polygamy violate the seventh commandment?"

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98729
04/27/08 02:38 AM
04/27/08 02:38 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Why do you say certain aspects of it violates the 10Cs?

TE: You said that. I said the reverse, that God wouldn't command that someone do something contrary to His will, something which violates the moral law.

The law of Moses commanded people to kill sinners. Does this violate the 10Cs? It also regulates slavery. Is this against God's will? And, it made polygamy necessary under certain circumstances. Does this break the law?

Quote:
MM: By the way, I answered your question as to which commandments, under certain circumstances, I believe polygamy violates - the first three. I also gave the reasons why.

TE: The seventh commandment was given as a protection to marriage. Polygamy is a sin because it is contrary to God's ideal viz a viz marriage. God creates Adam, and gave him one wife. The two were to become one flesh. This is easy to see.

Why would you think that that polygamy does not violate the law protecting marriage, but, rather, takes God's name in vain? This seems to me to be a very odd way of looking at things. I'm curious, can you cite even one other person who see things in this way?

The triune Godhead is One, right? Does this fit your model of two equal one? Tom, don't forget that I agree with you that God established the ideal order of marriage when He gave Adam one wife. But keep in mind the 7th commandment prohibits premarital sex as well as condemns adultery, which is having sex with someone you are not married to. Having multiple spouses is not adultery because they are married.

In the same way incest was necessary in the beginning, so too there were times when polygamy was necessary. But there were times when kings married multiple wives for reasons that were not necessary. In such cases they were making gods and idols of them, 1st and 2nd commandments, thus misrepresenting God, the 3rd commandment.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #98737
04/27/08 03:57 AM
04/27/08 03:57 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.God gave counsel in regards to things which were not in accordance to His will, such as divorce, polygamy, and other things. That He gave the counsel should not be construed as His sanctioning the thing He gives counsel regarding.

The idea that God would command someone to do something contrary to His will is nonsensical. By definition, if God commands that something be done, that's His will.

2.Your whole argument falls apart because you assume that the extra marriages are legitimate, but they are no more legitimate than a marriage which follows an illegitimate divorce. Jesus said that one who divorces his/her spouse without valid grounds is committing adultery if He remarries. The same logic applies to polygamy as applies to divorce.

3.I have not seen you comment on EGW's point that God did not sanction polygamy even once. Please comment on that.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98742
04/27/08 05:13 AM
04/27/08 05:13 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
1.God gave counsel in regards to things which were not in accordance to His will, such as divorce, polygamy, and other things. That He gave the counsel should not be construed as His sanctioning the thing He gives counsel regarding.

Valid point. He told the children of Israel what meats they were allowed to eat. This does not mean He advocated a flesh diet. On the other hand, since Jesus ate fish, does this mean that it is not a sin to eat meat? Look at some of Ellen White's statements on meat, if you will, like this one:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Indulgence in meat-eating, and tea-drinking and other forms of self-pleasing is injurious to the health of body and the soul. . . . Every indulgence of perverted appetite is a fleshly lust which wars against the soul. By your large meat-eating you are placing in your stomach that which animalizes you. While strengthening the animal propensities, you are weakening the higher, holier attributes, which you so need to cultivate. Your sensibilities are blunted, so that you cannot discern sacred things. {4MR 385.3} [Manuscript Releases Volume Four [Nos. 210-259] (1990)]

The idea that God would command someone to do something contrary to His will is nonsensical. By definition, if God commands that something be done, that's His will.

By what definition? God commands things which are not His will at times. Dealing with sin means there are times when something has to be done that was not part of the original plan. Example: Commanding the quails be sent to the complaining Israelites who lusted for flesh. You will not convince me that it was His will to give them the quail--to the contrary, there is evidence that it was not, seeing as He destroyed many thousands for their perverted appetites when they ate the quail.

2.Your whole argument falls apart because you assume that the extra marriages are legitimate, but they are no more legitimate than a marriage which follows an illegitimate divorce. Jesus said that one who divorces his/her spouse without valid grounds is committing adultery if He remarries. The same logic applies to polygamy as applies to divorce.

In my mind, the pain in the relationship always comes with the separation. It is the breaking of someone's heart that I believe is the primary sin in what we term "adultery." It's sort of like that famous poem says regarding the fence or the ambulance: it's not the falling that hurts them at all, but the shock at the bottom when they're stopping! So, to my view, it would be far better for a man to have two wives, than to have just one "at a time," which is exchanged for a different one. Both are forms of polygamy, except that one involves an illegitimate divorce--cruelly breaking the first one's heart in a mean show of rejection and favoritism.

3.I have not seen you comment on EGW's point that God did not sanction polygamy even once. Please comment on that.

I would ask this, did God sanction the eating of meat even once?

To sanction, and to permit, are two different things.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #98750
04/27/08 04:58 PM
04/27/08 04:58 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

By what definition? God commands things which are not His will at times.

By what definition is a good question. The definition I had in mind was to order someone to do something. By so doing you are expressing your will. Someone doing something under your authority is as if you did it yourself.

Quote:
Dealing with sin means there are times when something has to be done that was not part of the original plan. Example: Commanding the quails be sent to the complaining Israelites who lusted for flesh. You will not convince me that it was His will to give them the quail--to the contrary, there is evidence that it was not, seeing as He destroyed many thousands for their perverted appetites when they ate the quail.

From the SOP:

Quote:
In this instance the Lord gave the people that which was not for their best good, because they would have it. They would not submit to receive from the Lord only those things which would prove for their good. They gave themselves up to seditious murmurings against Moses, and against the Lord, because they did not receive those things which would prove an injury to them. Their

depraved appetites controlled them, and God gave them flesh-meats, as they desired, and let them suffer the results of gratifying their lustful appetites. Burning fevers cut down very large numbers of the people. Those who had been the most guilty in their murmurings, were slain as soon as they tasted the meat for which they had lusted. If they had submitted to have the Lord select their food for them, and had been thankful, and satisfied with food of which they could eat freely without injury, they would not have lost the favor of God, and then been punished for their rebellious murmurings, by great numbers of them being slain. (1SP 284)

The Lord longs to give us that which is good for us, and does His best to protect us from the effects of sin. But we have free will, so He will not force us to do His will.

The people wanted flesh, so the Lord allowed them to have it, although what He had provided them for food was better for them. The same thing happens today. But when the people became ill and died, this was of their own doing.

It hardly seems fair to blame God for this. I speaking of your statement, "seeing as He destroyed many thousands for their perverted appetites when they ate the quail." God did not destroy the people because they did something contrary to His will, but the people destroyed themselves by their own actions in overindulging in the quails.

This is a common pattern. God longs to protect us from the effects of sin.

Quote:
Both are forms of polygamy, except that one involves an illegitimate divorce--cruelly breaking the first one's heart in a mean show of rejection and favoritism.

I agree with this.

Quote:
To sanction, and to permit, are two different things.

This is the point I've been making.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #98758
04/27/08 07:23 PM
04/27/08 07:23 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
With the exception of the killing in point two, which would be covered by Jesus mount sermon, can you make a biblical case for the other points being sin at all? Or is this a case of listing things which are not on sin lists in the bible but whom Ellen redefined as sin?

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I happen to see things somewhat the way MountainMan does on the issue of polygamy. Whether we like it or not, there are certain "sins" in the Bible which are simply permitted and/or not expressly condemned as being sin. They are, in fact, at times commanded or governed by rules of moderation. Polygamy is one of these "gray areas." Other "sins" in a similar category include:

3) Wearing jewelry

Most of these things were commanded at times in the Bible, in certain circumstances. For example, "Thou shalt not kill" is followed by verses saying things like "But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death."

Since the Bible was not clear, cut and dried on these issues, they will provoke debates for as long as people do not reach higher plains in their spiritual walk and rise above them, and for as long as others try to promote their non-biblical views that such things were cut and dried, and clearly forbidden in scripture.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: vastergotland] #98770
04/27/08 09:28 PM
04/27/08 09:28 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
3) Wearing jewelry

Skipping 2, as requested.

I don't think anyone suggests 5 is a sin. I don't know why that's on the list. Assuming this means simply having a lot of money. So I'll skip 5 as well.

Regarding the others, the explanation of these items which makes the most sense to me is that in the Day of Atonement, Israel was not to do these things. They were to keep their minds clear, so that they could follow by faith what the High Priest was doing.

So we, living in the antitypical Day of Atonement, are advised to keep our minds clear, so we can follow by faith what our heavenly high priest is doing.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98782
04/28/08 02:58 AM
04/28/08 02:58 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you think it was God's will to kill sinners the other 364 days of the year? For example, God told Moses to stone to death the man caught gathering sticks on the Sabbath. Was it God's will? Or, did Moses misunderstand God's answer?

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #98783
04/28/08 03:00 AM
04/28/08 03:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Do the laws of Moses misrepresent God's will?

Page 11 of 55 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!