HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Re: The truth about the fall #9901
08/14/03 07:45 PM
08/14/03 07:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Okay, for the sake of discussion let's assume for a moment that your interpretation of Genesis 2 and 3 is correct and Sister White's is wrong, and that her predictions people would make of none effect her ministry doesn't apply to you.

If Adam was standing right there with Eve when she ate the forbidden fruit why didn't he say anything? And what was the serpent referring to when he asked if God really said, "Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?" Why didn't he ask if that's what God told Adam? Why does the serpent assume God told Eve too?

Re: The truth about the fall #9902
08/14/03 08:12 PM
08/14/03 08:12 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
If Adam was standing right there with Eve when she ate the forbidden fruit why didn't he say anything? And what was the serpent referring to when he asked if God really said, "Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?" Why didn't he ask if that's what God told Adam? Why does the serpent assume God told Eve too?

First of all, being with her only means that she had not strayed away from her husband. I am not suggesting that they were tied together like Siamese twins, only that they were not necessarily in different parts of the garden.

As to the serpent's question. He was not seeking information. He was laying the groundwork for deception.

Re: The truth about the fall #9903
08/15/03 04:01 PM
08/15/03 04:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
If they were standing side-by-side when Eve was deceived - why didn't Adam say anything? why didn't he plead with her not to disobey God's command?

The serpent said to Eve - "Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?" And her response indicates that God did indeed warn her personally - "God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it." Notice that neither the serpent nor Eve mentions that it was Adam who warned her not to eat the forbidden fruit. Or that God warned only Adam. In the context of Genesis 3:1,3 the "ye" refers to Eve - not Adam (although it could be argued that "ye" includes both of them). Normally "ye" is plural whereas "you" is singular.

Re: The truth about the fall #9904
08/15/03 05:20 PM
08/15/03 05:20 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
If they were standing side-by-side when Eve was deceived - why didn't Adam say anything? why didn't he plead with her not to disobey God's command?

Where did I say they were side-by-side?
quote:

The serpent said to Eve - "Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?" And her response indicates that God did indeed warn her personally - "God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it." Notice that neither the serpent nor Eve mentions that it was Adam who warned her not to eat the forbidden fruit. Or that God warned only Adam. In the context of Genesis 3:1,3 the "ye" refers to Eve - not Adam (although it could be argued that "ye" includes both of them). Normally "ye" is plural whereas "you" is singular.

The issue was not who told Eve. I respect you as a fellow servant of the word, but I am terribly disappointed in the way you are applying your hermeneutical skills here.

Re: The truth about the fall #9905
08/15/03 07:13 PM
08/15/03 07:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Again, I'm confused. You wrote - "Moses makes it PLAIN that Eve was with her husband. I could never understand why EGW tried to hard to separate them." From this I got the impression you are saying they were together at the tree when Eve disobeyed.

Also, I have been under the impression that your main point in disagreeing with Sister White's interpretation of Genesis 2 & 3 is that since God did not personally warn Eve about eating the forbidden fruit the serpent was able to deceive her. Otherwise he could not have deceived her.

So, what is the truth about the fall according to your new interpretation?

Re: The truth about the fall #9906
08/15/03 10:25 PM
08/15/03 10:25 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
Also, I have been under the impression that your main point in disagreeing with Sister White's interpretation of Genesis 2 & 3 is that since God did not personally warn Eve about eating the forbidden fruit the serpent was able to deceive her. Otherwise he could not have deceived her.

Not with the approach he took. Let's get this straight. EGW was not my focus when I made this discovery. I was researching something else when I suddenly realized that in Gen. 3 the serpent spoke to Eve while God spoke to the man in Gen. 2. My first reaction was, "She never heard it from God." As this realization sunk in the numerous questions I had always had about the story began to make sense. I actually delayed consulting EGW because I wanted to square it with God first. The most important thing I came away with is how much God loved this human race. By not telling Eve He seemed to be making her vulnerable to deception, but it also guaranteed that He would have the legal basis to rescue us from Lucifer because any possible capitulation under these circumstances would not be rebellion on her part. The serpent was crafty. God was craftier.

So, EGW got it wrong? Who cares. Only people who follow others without following the Berean example of searching to see if what is reported makes sense.

Re: The truth about the fall #9907
08/16/03 02:09 AM
08/16/03 02:09 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Don't forget the Bereans consulted the inspired authors. They didn't rely on their own wit and wisdom. Paul did the same when he encountered Christ on the road to Damascus. Sister White's inspiration is no less inspired than Paul's. But I understand you don't believe she was. I do.

The way you put it I get the feeling you believe God anticipated the fall of Eve so He built in an excuse for her by not fully informing her of the consequences of the fall. What? First of all, there are no excuses for sin, and secondly, what can be said about Adam's fall? What excuse did he have? And does God need an excuse to demonstrate mercy and offer mankind salvation?

If Adam had not unwisely resolved to share her fate we wouldn't be in this mess today. Why? Because God would have replaced Eve with another wife and Satan and his evil angels would have been destroyed and the rest of us would have lived happily ever after.

"He did not realize that the same Infinite Power who had from the dust of the earth created him, a living, beautiful form, and had in love given him a companion, could supply her place. He resolved to share her fate; if she must die, he would die with her. {PP 56.2}

Re: The truth about the fall #9908
08/16/03 01:43 PM
08/16/03 01:43 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
Sister White's inspiration is no less inspired than Paul's. But I understand you don't believe she was. I do.

You are coming rather close to misrepresentation. This may be a good time for me to bow out of this discussion since it is going round in circles anyway. It has been wonderful discussing with you. I wish you all the best.

Re: The truth about the fall #9909
08/16/03 04:36 PM
08/16/03 04:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I'm sorry you're bowing out at this point. I was hoping you would explain how Eve was less guilty than Adam. If, as you say, her guilt is excusable because God purposely did not warn her personally so He could offer mankind the plan of salvation if and when Eve sinned - then what does that say about Adam's disobedience? especially in light of the fact God would have given Adam a new wife if he hadn't disobeyed. The great controversy would have ended with Eve's disobedience. Satan and the evil angels would have been destroyed. Adam and his new wife would have become the father and mother of the human race and they would have lived happily ever after.

Also, what if God had originally warned Adam when he was single before the creation of Eve (which I don't believe) - isn't it reasonable to assume that Eve would have discussed the prohibition with God off and on before she was deceived? If so, then it is true that God had warned her personally too. Thus, her standing before God would have been no different than Adam's. See what I mean? It is inconceivable to me that Eve would have never consulted with God concerning the prohibition if she had learned about it second hand from Adam or the holy angels.

Re: The truth about the fall #9910
08/16/03 10:29 PM
08/16/03 10:29 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
I'm sorry you're bowing out at this point.

I have no problem continuing the discussion if you can steer clear of misrepresentation. It takes too much to conduct a discussion and have to correct misstatements as well.
quote:
I was hoping you would explain how Eve was less guilty than Adam. If, as you say, her guilt is excusable because God purposely did not warn her personally so He could offer mankind the plan of salvation if and when Eve sinned - then what does that say about Adam's disobedience? especially in light of the fact God would have given Adam a new wife if he hadn't disobeyed.

Did you say "fact?" This is a conclusion unthinking theologians have come up with. If Adam "saved" Eve by eating the fruit you have set up a two-tiered system of salvation. You have also made a separation where God has none. Adam and Eve were two created from one. The act of one bound the other. Sin entered when Eve ate. Surely you would not wish to label Eve as Adam's temptress. Adam accomplished nothing by eating the fruit, save getting his tastebuds tingled.
quote:
The great controversy would have ended with Eve's disobedience. Satan and the evil angels would have been destroyed. Adam and his new wife would have become the father and mother of the human race and they would have lived happily ever after.

That is conjecture that completely ignores the fact of their creation.
quote:

Also, what if God had originally warned Adam when he was single before the creation of Eve (which I don't believe) - isn't it reasonable to assume that Eve would have discussed the prohibition with God off and on before she was deceived? If so, then it is true that God had warned her personally too. Thus, her standing before God would have been no different than Adam's. See what I mean? It is inconceivable to me that Eve would have never consulted with God concerning the prohibition if she had learned about it second hand from Adam or the holy angels.

Your statement assumes that Eve had the same history of experience as we do. There was not reason to question what Adam had reported nor to question God about it. Why would there be any doubt in her mind. Please remember we are discussing a prelapsarian condition.

Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!