HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,973
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 28
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 3 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 55 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 54 55
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98852
04/29/08 08:50 PM
04/29/08 08:50 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
Ok, we've gotten off the topic question again (which is fine, I don't mind discussing whatever comes up, but I'm still interested in the topic question).

Given that polygamy is a sin, what commandment does it violate? That it is a sin can be established from the spirit of prophecy:

Quote:
Polygamy had become so widespread that it had ceased to be regarded as a sin, but it was no less a violation of the law of God, and was fatal to the sacredness and peace of the family relation. (PP 145)

If one wishes to discuss the question, "Is polygamy a sin according to the Bible"? we can open a topic to discuss that. However, this topic assumes that polygamy is a sin, and is asking if, given it is a sin, does it violate the seventh commandment.
Hasn't this horse already recieved enough beating?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98865
04/29/08 11:35 PM
04/29/08 11:35 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient

The things you list are not of the same order.

a.Killing is explicitly stated as being a sin.
b.Meat-eating is not even implied as being a sin.
c.You may be right regarding alcohol (implicit).
d.One could say polygamy is an implicit sin, since it doesn't say anywhere "Thou shalt not commit polygamy," but based on Jesus' teaching, it's pretty easy to connect the dots.
e.There is nothing wrong with being wealthy.

I certainly agree that the overriding goal of one's life should not be to become wealthy, but one can become wealthy in many ways. If one owns a business, the business can prosper. If one owns stocks, the stocks can multiply in value. One can inherit money. One can be promoted for being a good worker. Etc.

Daniel was rewarded for his service to God. He was the third in the kingdom. I'm sure he was very wealthy. Yet not one sin is recorded in regards to Daniel. It seems very difficult to make the argument that Daniel was somehow sinful because of his wealth. How would one argue this?

I will not argue on this last point, but the Bible says nowhere that Daniel was wealthy. You are imagining that. We have no way of either proving it, nor disproving it. It is, therefore, irrelevant to this discussion, and it is unsafe ground for proving your point.

Similarly Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and many others were wealthy. They were wealthy because God blessed them.

I'm focusing on this one point because it is quite surprising to me to see it on a list with killing.

Well, I've already presented scriptures which show wealth as being below the standard. You may accept or reject them on your own free will. However, on this point of killing, I think that for the record we should clarify this.

The Bible does not teach that it is wrong to kill. Such is not a Biblical concept. It is a Buddhist concept. Buddhists believe it is wrong to kill. I've watched my Buddhist friends just let the mosquito bite them, or maybe try to wave it away...but smash it? That would be unthinkable to them, for it is killing!

In the Ten Commandments, the King James Version (which I happen to use most and like best) has mistranslated the "killing" commandment. It should read "Thou shalt not murder." I simply cannot imagine anyone going very far astray on this point. Considering that God sometimes ordered killing, and blessed those, like David, who killed for His honor, this would seem like a huge contradiction for a God who says "I am the LORD, I change not!" You will not find any of the other Ten Commandments where God ever gave commandment that they be broken...but if you understand "Thou shalt not kill" in the light which it appears, then it would be the exception.

Based on my firm belief that God does not contradict Himself in this fashion, I would have to say of a certainty that the seventh commandment and "polygamy" are, in like manner, treating separate topics. The seventh commandment does not address polygamy, just as the sixth commandment does not address killing as required by justice, war, or self defense. (Remember, it was a law given by God from Mt. Sinai that a thief could be killed in self defense, without penalty--Ex. 22:2. Are they any others of the Ten Commandments which could be broken in any circumstance without penalty?)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #98866
04/29/08 11:58 PM
04/29/08 11:58 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I will not argue on this last point, but the Bible says nowhere that Daniel was wealthy. You are imagining that. We have no way of either proving it, nor disproving it. It is, therefore, irrelevant to this discussion, and it is unsafe ground for proving your point.

Daniel was third in rank of the most powerful kingdom on earth. How could such an individual possibly not be wealthy?

He was certainly powerful. The same argument you made against wealth could be made against power, couldn't it?

Quote:
Well, I've already presented scriptures which show wealth as being below the standard. You may accept or reject them on your own free will.

You rejected Daniel, because the Bible didn't specifically say he was wealthy (although, again, I would wonder how the third in rank of the most powerful kingdom on earth could possibly not be very wealthy), but what of the others on the list? Was it not God who made Abraham and the others wealthy by blessing them? How was Abraham being "below the standard"?

Quote:
The Bible does not teach that it is wrong to kill. Such is not a Biblical concept. It is a Buddhist concept. Buddhists believe it is wrong to kill. I've watched my Buddhist friends just let the mosquito bite them, or maybe try to wave it away...but smash it? That would be unthinkable to them, for it is killing!

When you were talking about killing, I thought you were talking about killing human beings.

You said that "The sinfulness of wealth is implied, but not expressly stated, just as with that of meat-eating, killing." How is the sinfulness of killing implied? What do you have in mind in saying this? It seems you were giving examples to show it's not a sin at all. So why did you write that the sinfulness of killing is implied?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98877
04/30/08 05:07 AM
04/30/08 05:07 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
To say, "Thou shalt not kill" is not the same as "Thou shalt not kill any man, woman, or child." It is a very broad, categorical statement which must, if taken to the extreme literal, include any form of killing--and it is exactly such a belief that the Buddhists adhere to, which is why I used the example I did.

As for Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, two of the three had four wives each. This was a part of their "wealth," and gave them more "wealth" in the form of children as well. Isaac, you may recall, though the child of promise was not an only son, and had seven brothers. No mention is ever made, in the Bible, of any rebuke from God for their multiple wives, and God spoke directly with both Abraham and Jacob (face to face).

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98888
04/30/08 04:02 PM
04/30/08 04:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
TE: Regarding the others, the explanation of these items which makes the most sense to me is that in the Day of Atonement, Israel was not to do these things. They were to keep their minds clear, so that they could follow by faith what the High Priest was doing.

MM: Tom, do you think it was God's will to kill sinners the other 364 days of the year? For example, God told Moses to stone to death the man caught gathering sticks on the Sabbath. Was it God's will? Or, did Moses misunderstand God's answer?

Do the laws of Moses misrepresent God's will? Do they require anything that violates the will of God? For example, the requirement to stone to death sinners. Does this violate the will of God? And, what the laws that require polygamy? Do they violate the will of God?

TE: MM, killing is not God's will. That should be clear by considering:

a.What God is like.
b.How Jesus lived.

God did not intend that the Israelites establish a community founded on violence. For example, He said that He would fight their battles for them. Had they allowed Him to do that, no Israelite would have died. But they chose to gather up swords and fight their own battles, which led to much suffering and death.

God had to work with the community as it existed, so it included Him giving counsel that was not according to His ideal will. For example, He gave counsel in regards to divorce and polygamy.

God's ideal will was expressed in Jesus Christ. From Him we learn the truth about polygamy, divorce, killing, whatever.

Tom, are you saying it was God's will to fight His enemies for the COI? How would He have done it? Send hornets to sting them to death? Send hornets to drive them out of Canaan? Where does it say it wasn't God's will for the COI to destroy the Canaanites with the edge of the sword?

If God originally intended to simply use hornets to drive the Canaanites into other territories and not to sting them to death, why did He command the COI to utterly kill every Canaanite, every baby, every child, every man, every woman, every grandparent, and every great grandparent? Why didn't He simply command the COI to chase the Canaanites into other territories?

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98890
04/30/08 04:28 PM
04/30/08 04:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Ok, we've gotten off the topic question again (which is fine, I don't mind discussing whatever comes up, but I'm still interested in the topic question).

Given that polygamy is a sin, what commandment does it violate? That it is a sin can be established from the spirit of prophecy:

Quote:
Polygamy had become so widespread that it had ceased to be regarded as a sin, but it was no less a violation of the law of God, and was fatal to the sacredness and peace of the family relation. (PP 145)

If one wishes to discuss the question, "Is polygamy a sin according to the Bible"? we can open a topic to discuss that. However, this topic assumes that polygamy is a sin, and is asking if, given it is a sin, does it violate the seventh commandment.

No. The 7th commandment prohibits adultery, it does not prohibit having more than one wife at a time. Adultery is a married person having sexual relations with someone other than their spouse. In cases involving polygamy they are having sexual relations with their spouses.

Earlier on this thread I explained which commandments are broken in cases involving unlawful polygamy.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #98891
04/30/08 04:30 PM
04/30/08 04:30 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Why would God want to use the edge of the sword to gain the victory? That goes against all we know of God as revealed by Jesus Christ in His life and teachings. Jesus taught, "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword." Not even once did Jesus Christ advocate violence as a means of achieving God's will. He clearly taught the reverse.

How did the Israelites get their swords? From the Egyptians. God did not instruct them to do so. He said He would fight their battles for them.

We have several examples of how God fought for the Israelites when they trusted in Him. For example:

Quote:
20And they rose early in the morning, and went forth into the wilderness of Tekoa: and as they went forth, Jehoshaphat stood and said, Hear me, O Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem; Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper.

21And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed singers unto the LORD, and that should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army, and to say, Praise the LORD; for his mercy endureth for ever.

22And when they began to sing and to praise, the LORD set ambushments against the children of Ammon, Moab, and mount Seir, which were come against Judah; and they were smitten.

23For the children of Ammon and Moab stood up against the inhabitants of mount Seir, utterly to slay and destroy them: and when they had made an end of the inhabitants of Seir, every one helped to destroy another.

24And when Judah came toward the watch tower in the wilderness, they looked unto the multitude, and, behold, they were dead bodies fallen to the earth, and none escaped. (2 Chron 20)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98921
04/30/08 09:36 PM
04/30/08 09:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, did God ever command the COI *not* to use swords against their enemies in battle? If so, please cite references. Please don't piece together several unrelated quotes and conclude with a personal observation. Just post a quote where God specifically forbade or commanded the COI not to use swords in battle because it is contrary to His will to for His people to kill their enemies. Thank you.

Now, in light of the following passages, who commanded the COI to utterly kill every Canaanite, every baby, every child, every man, every woman, every grandparent, and every great grandparent? Who commanded David to cut down his enemies with the sword? Who commanded the "angel of the Lord" to unsheathe his sword and kill 70,000 Israelites?

Exodus
32:27 And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, [and] go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour. 32:28 And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses: and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men.

Deuteronomy
20:13 And when the LORD thy God hath delivered it into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword:

Numbers
22:31 Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.

Joshua
11:12 And all the cities of those kings, and all the kings of them, did Joshua take, and smote them with the edge of the sword, [and] he utterly destroyed them, as Moses the servant of the LORD commanded.

1 Samuel
15:33 And Samuel said, As thy sword hath made women childless, so shall thy mother be childless among women. And Samuel hewed Agag in pieces before the LORD in Gilgal.

2 Samuel
23:10 He arose, and smote the Philistines until his hand was weary, and his hand clave unto the sword: and the LORD wrought a great victory that day; and the people returned after him only to spoil.

1 Chronicles
21:14 So the LORD sent pestilence upon Israel: and there fell of Israel seventy thousand men.
21:15 And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the LORD beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD stood by the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #98923
04/30/08 09:43 PM
04/30/08 09:43 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
We've already got a thread for this. Let's discuss this (killing) on that thread. Sorry if this was my bad.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #98925
04/30/08 09:49 PM
04/30/08 09:49 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
No. The 7th commandment prohibits adultery, it does not prohibit having more than one wife at a time. Adultery is a married person having sexual relations with someone other than their spouse. In cases involving polygamy they are having sexual relations with their spouses.

This doesn't work, MM. The problem is that if your logic here were true, then clearly one who is divorced would not be committing adultery. Yet Jesus says that unless one has legitimate grounds for divorce, if one remarries, one commits adultery. He also said that if the divorced one remarries, that person is committing adultery. The problem is that just became man performs a marriage, does not mean that the two being married by man are married in God's site.

The same problem occurs with polygamy. Jesus taught that *one* man in joined to *one* woman. That was the whole point in referring back to Adam and Eve.

Quote:
Earlier on this thread I explained which commandments are broken in cases involving unlawful polygamy.

You said the first three, right? Why did you choose those?

Page 13 of 55 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/18/24 12:45 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!