HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
Re: The truth about the fall #9891
08/14/03 03:28 AM
08/14/03 03:28 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Darius, you seem to think your interpretation of Genesis 2 is more credible than Sister White's. Why should I believe you and not her? If you are willing to blow off her insights why shouldn't I be willing to blow off yours? Whose to say she's wrong and you're right? It's your word against hers. You claim to be in agreement with the Bible and so does she.

Re: The truth about the fall #9892
08/14/03 12:45 PM
08/14/03 12:45 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
Darius, you seem to think your interpretation of Genesis 2 is more credible than Sister White's. Why should I believe you and not her? If you are willing to blow off her insights why shouldn't I be willing to blow off yours? Whose to say she's wrong and you're right? It's your word against hers. You claim to be in agreement with the Bible and so does she.

That approach to study is highly suspect. It is not a question of authority. One must look at all the available evidence and see in which direction it points. An assessment that Eve was deceived is not consistent with first hand knowledge on her part. Since you see it as a struggle between me and EGW it is no surprise you come down where you have, but you have not "rightly divided the word of truth."

Re: The truth about the fall #9893
08/15/03 03:01 AM
08/15/03 03:01 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
And you seem to think you have rightly divided and divined the truth and that Sister White somehow failed to understand it correctly. Call it what you want but in my mind it comes down to whether or not I believe you or her. Whenever she wrote - "I saw..." - we must assume she was sharing the truth and not her own preconceived opinions or commonly held misconceptions. To willfully disregard a "I saw..." from the pen of inspiration is to disregard the word of God.

"I saw that the holy angels often visited the garden, and gave instruction to Adam and Eve concerning their employment, and also taught them concerning the rebellion of Satan and his fall. The angels warned them of Satan, and cautioned them not to separate from each other in their employment, for they might be brought in contact with this fallen foe. The angels enjoined upon them to closely follow the directions God had given them, for in perfect obedience only were they safe. And if they were obedient, this fallen foe could have no power over them. {1SG 20.1}

"God instructed our first parents in regard to the tree of knowledge, and they were fully informed relative to the fall of Satan, and the danger of listening to his suggestions. He did not deprive them of the power of eating the forbidden fruit. He left them as free moral agents to believe His word, obey His commandments, and live, or believe the tempter, disobey, and perish. They both ate, and the great wisdom they obtained was the knowledge of sin and a sense of guilt. The covering of light about them soon disappeared, and under a sense of guilt and loss of their divine covering, a shivering seized them, and they tried to cover their exposed forms. {SR 37.1}

You also seem to think Eve could not have been "deceived" if God had warned her personally not to eat of the forbidden fruit. Why not? She understood the prohibition perfectly, even took the liberty to do some creative interpreting of her own, so how would that change anything - even if God had not personally warned her? Whether she was persuaded or deceived it still reflects the fact she understood the prohibition perfectly. So I don't see how it changes anything if God warned her personally or not - so far as her being deceived. I don't feel like I have to believe Adam warned her second hand in order to believe she was deceived and not persuaded or whatever. What kind of God would forget or refuse to warn Eve not to eat the forbidden fruit? Certainly not the loving God we serve!

Re: The truth about the fall #9894
08/15/03 03:12 AM
08/15/03 03:12 AM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
You also seem to think Eve could not have been "deceived" if God had warned her personally not to eat of the forbidden fruit. Why not? She understood the prohibition perfectly, even took the liberty to do some creative interpreting of her own, so how would that change anything - even if God had not personally warned her?

See how you now place Paul's use of the word "deceive" in question. Does this not bother you? The evidence is clear that by the end of the episode Eve did not believe she was going against a command God had given. That could not be possible if she had heard it from Him directly. It was only possible if she had heard a report from a third party. Surely, you must know the significance of deception. The Bible constantly warns us against deception, never against persuasion. Persuasion is based on full disclosure. Deception is not.
quote:
Whether she was persuaded or deceived it still reflects the fact she understood the prohibition perfectly. So I don't see how it changes anything if God warned her personally or not - so far as her being deceived. I don't feel like I have to believe Adam warned her second hand in order to believe she was deceived and not persuaded or whatever.
I know what you don't feel like. Many don't feel like they have to take God seriously. In your case you have to face the fact that the word chosen so deliberately by Paul leads to a conclusion other than the one you have selected. Your position could only be supported if Lucifer had pretended to be God or God's agent. He did neither. His deception had to be based on something else.

Re: The truth about the fall #9895
08/15/03 03:49 AM
08/15/03 03:49 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
If I have come to a conclusion that is different than yours then I must also conclude that your observations and conclusions contradict a direct "Thus saith the Lord." Please refer to the inspired quotations above.

But still... if it is true, as you assert, that we cannot be deceived if we are warned personally by God then what about all the rest of us who neve heard the voice of God, who have only read His ancient warnings second hand in the Bible? can we hope to escape Satan's final deception and delusion?

You see, I do not believe God's word is any less effective if I receive it first hand or second hand. His word shall not return unto Him void. The word of God is as powerful as the voice of God.

Isaiah
55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it.

John
13:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.
17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed [are] they that have not seen, and [yet] have believed.

Re: The truth about the fall #9896
08/14/03 05:36 PM
08/14/03 05:36 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
But still... if it is true, as you assert, that we cannot be deceived if we are warned personally by God then what about all the rest of us who neve heard the voice of God, who have only read His ancient warnings second hand in the Bible? can we hope to escape Satan's final deception and delusion?

You are looking for a doctrinal point while I am trying to understand the operation of the gospel in light of the events of Eden.

IAE, God only holds us responsible for what we do know and believe. You are attempting to compare apples to oranges.

Re: The truth about the fall #9897
08/14/03 06:00 PM
08/14/03 06:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Perhaps I'm missing your point? Can you please explain why it makes a difference in your mind, as far as Eve being deceived, whether she was warned by God first hand or by Adam or holy angels second hand?

Re: The truth about the fall #9898
08/14/03 06:21 PM
08/14/03 06:21 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
Perhaps I'm missing your point? Can you please explain why it makes a difference in your mind, as far as Eve being deceived, whether she was warned by God first hand or by Adam or holy angels second hand?

If Eve had been told directly by God she would have to make a conscious effort to disobey Him when she ate of that tree. The only way she could be deceived is through someone representing himself as being God or representing God. She could not be deceived concerning what God had told her, primarily because she did not suffer from our faulty memories. Today, being told firsthand or secondhand does not have the same effect because of faulty memories.

What you see as creative interpretation I see as evidence that Eve was recounting what she and Adam had discussed. In the perfect environment of heaven there was no need for "creative interpretation." Why would that be necessary?

Take careful note of the serpent's question. He does not mention the forbidden tree. He suggests that he has also received some information second hand and wants to know what Eve knows. Eve is the one who mentions the tree.

Re: The truth about the fall #9899
08/14/03 06:38 PM
08/14/03 06:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
What was she deceived into believing? that God had prohibited eating the fruit? that she would die the day she ate it? or what? And how does the serpent's deception relate to Eve's source of information (i.e., first hand or second hand)?

Also, do you agree with Sister White or Moses regarding Adam's location when Eve ate the forbidden fruit? or, do you believe like I do that she makes it clearer than Moses does (i.e., she went and found him rather than him being with her)?

Genesis
3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree [was] good for food, and that it [was] pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make [one] wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

Re: The truth about the fall #9900
08/14/03 06:55 PM
08/14/03 06:55 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
She was deceived into believing that God had not forbidden the eating of the fruit from that tree. That is why she ate it.

Moses makes it PLAIN that Eve was with her husband. I could never understand why EGW tried to hard to separate them. She often gives the impression that Eve erred by separating from her husband thus providing an opening for the devil. The problem with that is that it means that Eve sinned before she was tempted by the devil. You have to accept the fact that EGW was fallible and made mistakes, even when she said "I was shown."

An interesting thought about "I was shown." If you think that those words mean that whatever follows is without error you have an interesting situation in which this prophet wrote a lot of stuff she knew was not without error. The truth is, once you accept the fact that an individual is used by God, "I was shown" means nothing.

Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!