HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 55 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 54 55
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #99255
05/11/08 11:18 PM
05/11/08 11:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Bump for Tom.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #99290
05/13/08 01:46 AM
05/13/08 01:46 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, earlier in this thread the law of Moses was quoted where polygamy was commanded under certain circumstances. How do you explain this?

I answered this. I said:

Quote:
Given that polygamy was contrary to God's will, which He never sanctioned, clearly it was something He permitted.

Did you address #99064?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #99294
05/13/08 05:05 PM
05/13/08 05:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall #99064
 Quote:
Tom, how do you interpret it in the law of Moses where men are, under certain circumstances, required to have more than one wife?

TE: Given that polygamy was contrary to God's will, which He never sanctioned, clearly it was something He permitted.

The law of Moses didn't merely permit things, it commanded them.

It doesn't make sense that God would command that something contrary to His will, contrary to His law, a sin, something He never sanctioned a single time, be done. Therefore this idea must be rejected, if Ellen White's statement is to be accepted.

If God commanded polygamy be done, then He sanctioned it, by definition. In this case, Ellen White was wrong in her statement. It this what you're wanting to say?

If it's not, then God could not have been commanding polygamy be done, if Ellen White's statement is to be believed.

If you want to say that she's wrong, then your idea is possible.

Tom, I agree her comment must agree with the Bible. Here's what is written about the law of Moses:

Quote:
Joshua
23:6 Be ye therefore very courageous to keep and to do all that is written in the book of the law of Moses, that ye turn not aside therefrom [to] the right hand or [to] the left;

1 Kings
2:1 Now the days of David drew nigh that he should die; and he charged Solomon his son, saying,
2:2 I go the way of all the earth: be thou strong therefore, and show thyself a man;
2:3 And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:

PP 310
That the obligations of the Decalogue might be more fully understood and enforced, additional precepts were given, illustrating and applying the principles of the Ten Commandments. These laws were called judgments, both because they were framed in infinite wisdom and equity and because the magistrates were to give judgment according to them. Unlike the Ten Commandments, they were delivered privately to Moses, who was to communicate them to the people. {PP 310.1}

PP 311
These laws were to be recorded by Moses, and carefully treasured as the foundation of the national law, and, with the ten precepts which they were given to illustrate, the condition of the fulfillment of God's promises to Israel. {PP 311.3}

The message was now given them from Jehovah: "Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared. Beware of Him, and obey His voice, provoke Him not; for He will not pardon your transgressions: for My name is in Him. But if thou shalt indeed obey His voice, and do all that I speak; then I will be an enemy unto thine enemies, and an adversary unto thine adversaries." During all the wanderings of Israel, Christ, in the pillar of cloud and of fire, was their Leader. While there were types pointing to a Saviour to come, there was also a present Saviour, who gave commands to Moses for the people, and who was set forth before them as the only channel of blessing. {PP 311.4}

PP 364
Moses was commanded to write, as God should bid him, judgments and laws giving minute instruction as to what was required. These directions relating to the duty of the people to God, to one another, and to the stranger were only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified and given in a specific manner, that none need err. They were designed to guard the sacredness of the ten precepts engraved on the tables of stone. {PP 364.1}

It is clear God intended for the COI to obey the law of Moses. Therefore, her comment must apply to a specific context. Since it is plain that there were specific circumstances under which polygamy was "required", it stands to reason God never "sanctioned" polygamy under other circumstances.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #99309
05/14/08 01:32 AM
05/14/08 01:32 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
It is clear God intended for the COI to obey the law of Moses. Therefore, her comment must apply to a specific context. Since it is plain that there were specific circumstances under which polygamy was "required", it stands to reason God never "sanctioned" polygamy under other circumstances.

I'm not following you. She wrote:

Quote:
God has not sanctioned polygamy in a single instance. It was contrary to his will.(1SP 94)

"Not ... in a single instance" means "not ever." Clearly God would not command something that was "contrary to His will."

You yourself agreed that polygamy is a sin. God wouldn't command us to sin, would He?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #99334
05/14/08 05:03 PM
05/14/08 05:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, did you happen to notice the quotes I posted? What do they mean to you? We both agree polygamy is part of the law of Moses, right? Or, do you disagree it is part of the law of Moses?

---

TE: You yourself agreed that polygamy is a sin. God wouldn't command us to sin, would He?

MM: I also agreed there are certain circumstances where the law of Moses required polygamy. You believe God permitted polygamy, right? Well, is it a sin if God permits it?

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #99345
05/14/08 09:44 PM
05/14/08 09:44 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, did you happen to notice the quotes I posted? What do they mean to you? We both agree polygamy is part of the law of Moses, right? Or, do you disagree it is part of the law of Moses?

It's clear what you quoted is in the law of Moses. It's not clear that Moses was commanding polygamy. A while back I quoted to you from a *Jewish* website that God had not sanctioned polygamy, so the ambiguity is present even among Jews.

Quote:
TE: You yourself agreed that polygamy is a sin. God wouldn't command us to sin, would He?

MM: I also agreed there are certain circumstances where the law of Moses required polygamy. You believe God permitted polygamy, right? Well, is it a sin if God permits it?

You didn't answer my question, which is that God wouldn't command us to sin, would He?

Regarding your question, there are many, many accommodations for hard-hearted men in the Law of Moses. To mention just two, divorce was permitted for any reason at all. This was never God's will.

Secondly, there's a law which states that a woman's hand is to be cut off in certain circumstances if she gets involved in a fight. This is clearly something God permitted, as opposed to something which is an accordance with His will.

Polygamy is another example of something which is sin, but that God permitted. So, to answer your question, because God permits something does not mean it is not sin.

Sin is defined by the 10 commandments. Sin is the transgression of the law. We can also understand sin from the life of Jesus Christ.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #99373
05/15/08 07:52 PM
05/15/08 07:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: A while back I quoted to you from a *Jewish* website that God had not sanctioned polygamy, so the ambiguity is present even among Jews.

MM: I'm not comfortable with quoting modern day Jewish scholars to ascertain the truthfulness of what Moses wrote. Jewish scholars are famous for twisting the meaning of Moses to serve their silly, unbiblical customs. So, we agree polygamy was required, under specific circumstances, in the law of Moses, right? Or do you believe it was optional? If so, then please support your theory with inspired explanations. Thank you.

By the way, quoting the "not sanctioned" SOP passage doesn't specifically address the law of Moses where polygamy was required under certain circumstances. We already agree there were instances of polygamy in the Bible that were not permitted by God.

---

TE: You didn't answer my question, which is that God wouldn't command us to sin, would He?

MM: No, of course not.

---

TE: To mention just two, divorce was permitted for any reason at all.

MM: Not so. God spelled it out for them in the law of Moses. Divorce was not permitted for any reason.

---

TE: Secondly, there's a law which states that a woman's hand is to be cut off in certain circumstances if she gets involved in a fight. This is clearly something God permitted, as opposed to something which is an accordance with His will.

MM: No, it wasn't permitted, it was "commanded". For example, when Moses was uncertain what to do about the guy caught gathering sticks on the Sabbath, God commanded him to stone the guy to death. That was God's will.

---

TE: Polygamy is another example of something which is sin, but that God permitted. So, to answer your question, because God permits something does not mean it is not sin.

MM: Interesting. Not even a sin of ignorance? I mean, why would someone suspect they are sinning if they are obeying the law of Moses? Was Moses guilty of sinning when he obeyed God's command to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death?

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #99396
05/16/08 03:03 AM
05/16/08 03:03 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: A while back I quoted to you from a *Jewish* website that God had not sanctioned polygamy, so the ambiguity is present even among Jews.

MM: I'm not comfortable with quoting modern day Jewish scholars to ascertain the truthfulness of what Moses wrote. Jewish scholars are famous for twisting the meaning of Moses to serve their silly, unbiblical customs.

Jewish scholars have no ax to grind in regards to polygamy. I cited them because they also see, in addition to Ellen White, that God did not sanction polygamy.

Quote:
So, we agree polygamy was required, under specific circumstances, in the law of Moses, right? Or do you believe it was optional? If so, then please support your theory with inspired explanations. Thank you.

Have you been reading what I wrote? Rather than my repeating myself again, why don't you summarize what you think I've been saying in regards to this question. You've asked it several times, and I've answered it each time.

Quote:
By the way, quoting the "not sanctioned" SOP passage doesn't specifically address the law of Moses where polygamy was required under certain circumstances. We already agree there were instances of polygamy in the Bible that were not permitted by God.

I've noticed in our discussions a certain difficulty in dealing with logical expression having to do with universal quantifies and existential quantifiers. You seem to confuse the two. You often try to prove a universal quantifier by citing an example showing the universal thing happens. But that's not a proof. A universal quantifier in the positive sense could be disproved by providing a counter example, but not proved unless one listed ever possible case.

Here we have an opposite error. Let's take a look at the statement:

Quote:
God has not sanctioned polygamy in a single instance. It was contrary to his will.(1SP 94)

What this means is the following:
1.Polygamy is contrary to God's will.
2.He did not sanction it in a single instance.

The second sentence means "not ever," "not even once." It does not mean "except in special circumstances." It cannot mean that, because it's a universal quantifier. If there were special circumstances, the statement would be false.

Also, of note, is the point that it was contrary to God's will. Now God may permit things contrary to His will, but He does not sanction such things, because "sanction" means to approve of, and it's nonsense to say that God approves of something contrary to His will, since things contrary to His will are things He does not approve of.

Quote:
TE: You didn't answer my question, which is that God wouldn't command us to sin, would He?

MM: No, of course not.

Polygamy is a sin, as you stated earlier. Therefore God did not command polygamy.

Quote:
TE: Secondly, there's a law which states that a woman's hand is to be cut off in certain circumstances if she gets involved in a fight. This is clearly something God permitted, as opposed to something which is an accordance with His will.

MM: No, it wasn't permitted, it was "commanded". For example, when Moses was uncertain what to do about the guy caught gathering sticks on the Sabbath, God commanded him to stone the guy to death. That was God's will.

No, MM, it wasn't God's will that women's hands be cut off. It wasn't God's will that people be stone either. Obedience was God's will, not mutilation or death.

Quote:
TE: Polygamy is another example of something which is sin, but that God permitted. So, to answer your question, because God permits something does not mean it is not sin.

MM: Interesting. Not even a sin of ignorance?

No, God's permitting something does not mean it is not a sin of ignorance (lots of negatives there; this is like a triple negative, and ignorance is a negative thing too).

Quote:
I mean, why would someone suspect they are sinning if they are obeying the law of Moses?

Because they weren't obeying it. The Pharisees come to mind here.

Quote:
Was Moses guilty of sinning when he obeyed God's command to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death?

Jesus said, "Let He who is without sin cast the first stone." Was Jesus sinning when He said this? Shouldn't He have obeyed the law of Moses, like the Pharisees thought?

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #99406
05/16/08 02:19 PM
05/16/08 02:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: I mean, why would someone suspect they are sinning if they are obeying the law of Moses?

TE: Because they weren't obeying it. The Pharisees come to mind here.

What about the people who did obey the law of Moses? Were they guilty of sinning? For example, in the case of polygamy, were they guilty of sinning because they obeyed the law of Moses? Did God sanction the law of Moses? Or, did Moses misunderstand God and add things to the law that God did not sanction?

Quote:
MM: Was Moses guilty of sinning when he obeyed God's command to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death?

TE: Jesus said, "Let He who is without sin cast the first stone." Was Jesus sinning when He said this? Shouldn't He have obeyed the law of Moses, like the Pharisees thought?

He did obey the law of Moses, right? He commanded them to stone her, which was in accordance with the law of Moses. So, what do you think? Was Moses guilty of sinning when he obeyed God's command to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death? Or, did Moses misunderstand God's instruction?

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #99426
05/17/08 03:00 AM
05/17/08 03:00 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
What about the people who did obey the law of Moses? Were they guilty of sinning? For example, in the case of polygamy, were they guilty of sinning because they obeyed the law of Moses? Did God sanction the law of Moses? Or, did Moses misunderstand God and add things to the law that God did not sanction?

MM, it seems much more likely that you are misunderstanding things here, and that God did not command anyone to sin. You agreed that polygamy is a sin. If God commanded it, then He commanded sin. But you agreed that God would not command anyone to sin. Therefore He did not command anyone to be polygamous.

Quote:
He did obey the law of Moses, right? He commanded them to stone her, which was in accordance with the law of Moses. So, what do you think? Was Moses guilty of sinning when he obeyed God's command to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death? Or, did Moses misunderstand God's instruction?

If Moses acted like Jesus did, He was not guilty of sin.

Page 15 of 55 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!