HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 55 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 54 55
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #99693
05/27/08 07:59 PM
05/27/08 07:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
MM: Yes, you are working hard not to speak against the Law of Moses or Moses himself, but you are not stating your position clearly. You are being intentionally vague and elusive, which is anything but helpful. Jesus plainly upheld the Law of Moses when He said, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” Which is exactly what the law required.

Since Jesus was not the one who caught them in the act of sinning the law did not give Him permission to cast the first stone. If Jesus had stoned her to death He would have been a law breaker. He would have been guilty of sinning. So, of course He didn’t stone her. But more than this, Jesus also knew the Pharisees had set her up, that she was more innocent than guilty in the matter. The Law of Moses permits mercy in such cases. Jesus demonstrated this aspect of the law. But there is nothing "evil" about capital punishment as commanded in the Law of Moses. It represents God's will.

TE: My point is that God's ideal will is revealed by Jesus Christ. If we wish to know how God wants someone like the adulteress brought to Him to be treated, we have but to see how Christ treated her. Honestly, I can't see how anyone could disagree with this. Christ was God in the flesh, and His mission was to reveal to us what God is like. Whether one has committed sin depends upon the light which one has. God, in judging Moses, or any of us, takes these things into account.

MM: What about the Law of Moses? Does it reveal God’s ideal will? Or, does it reflect His compromised will? What is the difference between the two? What were the circumstances that prevented God from expressing His ideal will in the Law of Moses? What forced Him to compromise?

Also, why did God command Moses to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death? Why didn’t He express His ideal will when Moses inquired of Him what to do with the man who broke the Sabbath?

It was God's idea to stone the guy to death - not Moses'. You seem to be saying executing capital punishment is evil. And, yet, here we see God clearly commanding Moses to kill the guy. This doesn't coincide with your view of God, does it?

TE: Regarding the law of Moses, it did not reveal God's will as fully as Jesus Christ did, which is the point I've been making all along. Nothing in the OT revealed God as fully as Christ did. That's why we should primarily look to Jesus Christ if we wish to understand God, and make sure any interpretations we make in regards to the law of Moses or elsewhere in the OT are in harmony with what we see in Christ.

Tom, I agree Jesus is a fuller, more complete revelation of God’s character. But in so saying you seem to be implying God did not command Moses to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death. Please answer the question plainly – Did God command Moses to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death?

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #99705
05/28/08 12:11 AM
05/28/08 12:11 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, I agree Jesus is a fuller, more complete revelation of God’s character. But in so saying you seem to be implying God did not command Moses to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death. Please answer the question plainly – Did God command Moses to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death?

A couple of posts ago I wrote:

Quote:
I think where a problem can come in is with the word "command." We naturally understand a command to be something akin to a military order, when a superior says, "Do this!" and the underling must do it. However, a command in Scripture may be more along the lines of what we would call a counsel. So while God did not wish for anyone to get a divorce, if they were intent on being divorced, then God, in mercy for women, for one thing, gave instructions on how divorces should be handled. The same logic can be applied to the things you included on your list.

So if we understand certain commands to be akin to counsels, then it is easy to see how God could "command" something without sanctioning it. However, if we interpret "command" in a militaristic sense, I don't see how we can see God as commanding but not sanctioning.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #99706
05/28/08 12:17 AM
05/28/08 12:17 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, do you really not understand my question?

Apparently not!

Quote:
I actually want to understand your point of view.

Cool! I like it when that happens!

Quote:
As you know, once I understand it, I will be content and move on to the next point. Don’t be afraid to state your position clearly.

So, we both agree God permitted people, under specific conditions, to get divorced and to have more than one wife at a time. We both agree divorce and polygamy under conditions other than the ones God specified was not permitted, in fact, it was considered evil and sinful.

There is never a time when divorce is not evil or sinful. There may be an innocent party involved, so that this party is not doing anything wrong, but there's always at least one guilty party involved, and divorce is always an evil and sinful thing.

Quote:
Now, my question to you is – In light of the quote you posted, what evils did Jesus come to correct?

The quote is very clear, MM. It was the evil of divorce, given for trivial reasons, which Christ came to correct. He pointed out that divorce was granted by Moses because of the hardness of man's heart, but in the beginning God created Adam and Eve, one wife for the one man.

Quote:
Are you applying this insight to the things God permitted in the Law of Moses? Or, are you applying it to the evil things the Jewish leaders permitted? Or, are you applying it to all of the above?

I'm applying it for exactly what the quote says:

Quote:
Jesus came to our world to rectify mistakes and to restore the moral image of God in man. Wrong sentiments in regard to marriage had found a place in the minds of the teachers of Israel. They were making of none effect the sacred institution of marriage. Man was becoming so hardhearted that he would for the most trivial excuse separate from his wife, or, if he chose, he would separate her from the children and send her away. This was considered a great disgrace and was often accompanied by the most acute suffering on the part of the discarded one.

Christ came to correct these evils, and His first miracle was wrought on the occasion of the marriage. Thus He announced to the world that marriage when kept pure and undefiled is a sacred institution. (AH 341)

The underlined portions speak to the evils which Christ came to correct.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #99728
05/29/08 02:38 PM
05/29/08 02:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:

A couple of posts ago I wrote:

Quote:
I think where a problem can come in is with the word "command." We naturally understand a command to be something akin to a military order, when a superior says, "Do this!" and the underling must do it. However, a command in Scripture may be more along the lines of what we would call a counsel. So while God did not wish for anyone to get a divorce, if they were intent on being divorced, then God, in mercy for women, for one thing, gave instructions on how divorces should be handled. The same logic can be applied to the things you included on your list.

So if we understand certain commands to be akin to counsels, then it is easy to see how God could "command" something without sanctioning it. However, if we interpret "command" in a militaristic sense, I don't see how we can see God as commanding but not sanctioning.

Here it is described in the SOP:

PP 409
He was taken in the act and brought before Moses. It had already been declared that Sabbathbreaking should be punished with death, but it had not yet been revealed how the penalty was to be inflicted. The case was brought by Moses before the Lord, and the direction was given, "The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp." Numbers 15:35. The sins of blasphemy and willful Sabbathbreaking received the same punishment, being equally an expression of contempt for the authority of God. {PP 409.1}

Regarding capital punishment and the phrases "as the LORD commanded" and "shall surely be put to death" the Law of Moses has the following to say. Of the 55 times that the phrase "as the LORD commanded" is use in the KJV, not once does it imply compliance was optional or open to discussion. Obedience was expected.

Exodus
7:6 And Moses and Aaron did as the LORD commanded them, so did they.

Exodus
16:34 As the LORD commanded Moses, so Aaron laid it up before the Testimony, to be kept.

Leviticus
16:34 And this shall be an everlasting statute unto you, to make an atonement for the children of Israel for all their sins once a year. And he did as the LORD commanded Moses.

Numbers
17:11 And Moses did [so]: as the LORD commanded him, so did he.

Numbers
31:31 And Moses and Eleazar the priest did as the LORD commanded Moses.

Leviticus
20:2 Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever [he be] of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth [any] of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.

Leviticus
20:27 A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood [shall be] upon them.

Leviticus
24:23 And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the LORD commanded Moses.

Numbers
15:36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

Deuteronomy
13:6 If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which [is] as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;
13:7 [Namely], of the gods of the people which [are] round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the [one] end of the earth even unto the [other] end of the earth;
13:8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:
13:9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
13:10 And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
13:11 And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #99729
05/29/08 02:48 PM
05/29/08 02:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
So, we both agree God permitted people, under specific conditions, to get divorced and to have more than one wife at a time. We both agree divorce and polygamy under conditions other than the ones God specified was not permitted, in fact, it was considered evil and sinful.

There is never a time when divorce is not evil or sinful. There may be an innocent party involved, so that this party is not doing anything wrong, but there's always at least one guilty party involved, and divorce is always an evil and sinful thing.

Quote:
Now, my question to you is – In light of the quote you posted, what evils did Jesus come to correct?

The quote is very clear, MM. It was the evil of divorce, given for trivial reasons, which Christ came to correct. He pointed out that divorce was granted by Moses because of the hardness of man's heart, but in the beginning God created Adam and Eve, one wife for the one man.

Quote:
Are you applying this insight to the things God permitted in the Law of Moses? Or, are you applying it to the evil things the Jewish leaders permitted? Or, are you applying it to all of the above?

I'm applying it for exactly what the quote says:

Quote:
Jesus came to our world to rectify mistakes and to restore the moral image of God in man. Wrong sentiments in regard to marriage had found a place in the minds of the teachers of Israel. They were making of none effect the sacred institution of marriage. Man was becoming so hardhearted that he would for the most trivial excuse separate from his wife, or, if he chose, he would separate her from the children and send her away. This was considered a great disgrace and was often accompanied by the most acute suffering on the part of the discarded one.

Christ came to correct these evils, and His first miracle was wrought on the occasion of the marriage. Thus He announced to the world that marriage when kept pure and undefiled is a sacred institution. (AH 341)

The underlined portions speak to the evils which Christ came to correct.

TE: There is never a time when divorce is not evil or sinful.

MM: Are you applying this insight to the things God permitted in the Law of Moses? Please state your position clearly. Thank you.

TE: The underlined portions speak to the evils which Christ came to correct.

MM: Are you applying this insight to the things God permitted in the Law of Moses? Please state your position clearly. Thank you.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #99736
05/29/08 10:41 PM
05/29/08 10:41 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

No. I was applying my comment to divorce.

Quote:

No, I was applying my comments to the points Christ made in the quote I cited, especially the portions I underlined.

Regarding the other post, we see in Jesus Christ how God treats people. This is His ideal will. If we wish to know what God is like, and how He treats people, and how He wishes we treat people, we can't go wrong by following the example of Jesus Christ.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #99740
05/30/08 12:09 PM
05/30/08 12:09 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient

Regarding the other post, we see in Jesus Christ how God treats people. This is His ideal will. If we wish to know what God is like, and how He treats people, and how He wishes we treat people, we can't go wrong by following the example of Jesus Christ.

Did God not "treat people" in Old Testament times? Did He wait to "treat people" until Jesus was manifest in the flesh?

Did Moses and other "Old Testament" people "go wrong" because they could not follow the example of Jesus Christ?

Did God somehow change dramatically from the Old Testament to the New?

These questions are all very important, because I see a growing trend to discount the first half of the Bible as being somehow "less inspired." I am interested in knowing your position on this.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #99751
05/31/08 03:34 PM
05/31/08 03:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

No. I was applying my comment to divorce.

Quote:

No, I was applying my comments to the points Christ made in the quote I cited, especially the portions I underlined.

Tom, it is impossible to study this topic with you so long as you continue to evade the topic. The facts are:

1. The Law of Moses permits divorce under specific conditions.

2. The Law of Moses permits polygamy under specific conditions.

3. It is not evil or a sin to get divorced in accordance with the Law of Moses.

4. It is not evil or a sin to have more than one wife at a time in accordance with the Law of Moses.

If you disagree with the facts, then it is up to you to prove it. So far you have not.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #99773
06/03/08 12:58 AM
06/03/08 12:58 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, it is impossible to study this topic with you so long as you continue to evade the topic.

Please stop the accusations. I answered your questions directly. I had answered them previously in great detail.

Quote:
The facts are:

1. The Law of Moses permits divorce under specific conditions.

Yes, and Jesus specified what these conditions were:

Quote:
He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.(Matt. 19:8)

Quote:
2. The Law of Moses permits polygamy under specific conditions.

The SOP says that polygamy was not sanctioned even once by God (hence not by the law of Moses), and was "contrary to His will."

Quote:
3. It is not evil or a sin to get divorced in accordance with the Law of Moses.

This isn't addressing my point. My point was that divorce was an evil. I pointed out that the innocent party needn't be doing anything wrong, but anytime there is divorce, an evil has occurred. God hates divorce. It's contrary to His will.

Quote:
4. It is not evil or a sin to have more than one wife at a time in accordance with the Law of Moses.

If you disagree with the facts, then it is up to you to prove it. So far you have not.

The words of Jesus, quoted above, make clear what God's will regarding marriage was. This can also be easily seen from Genesis.

I've presented the following from the SOP many times now:

Quote:
God has not sanctioned polygamy in a single instance. It was contrary to his will. He knew that the happiness of man would be destroyed by it.(1SP 94)

You say I haven't proved this, but it's easily seen from this statement that polygamy is "contrary to God's will" and has not been sanctioned by Him "in a single instance" (this means it wasn't sanctioned in the law of Moses, since "not in a single instance" means "not ever").

Hence your assertion this was not proved is incorrect.

I've cited the following a number of times as well:

Quote:
Polygamy had become so widespread that it had ceased to be regarded as a sin, but it was no less a violation of the law of God, and was fatal to the sacredness and peace of the family relation.(Daughters of God 27)

This defines polygamy as "a violation of the law of God," which is, of course, sin.

Sin is a violation of the moral law, which is to say, that which is contrary to God's will. That something is permitted in the law of Moses, or anyone else, does not make something which is sin not to be sin.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #99950
06/14/08 11:12 PM
06/14/08 11:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom

You say I haven't proved this, but it's easily seen from this statement that polygamy is "contrary to God's will" and has not been sanctioned by Him "in a single instance" (this means it wasn't sanctioned in the law of Moses, since "not in a single instance" means "not ever").

Do you agree polygamy was permitted in the Law of Moses?

Page 19 of 55 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!